Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

31 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Did you sell anything?

I would need to speak to my broker about that. 

Ah but the old “well nothing happened, so it’s ok!”

How about no? We clearly have a platform in Twitter that doesn’t have the safeguards in place to manage misinformation cleanly and quickly. It has real world consequences. It might be a blip today, what about when it is not? 

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Did you sell anything?

Gotta disagree about the no big deal take. Don't get lulled to sleep by the fact that there were no lasting impacts. This was a learning opportunity for Russia (or Iran, or N Korea, or China) and their trolls. If Mosk's attitude is anything like yours, we'll just get hit harder and the photoshops will be less obvious in the future.

On Monday morning, a seemingly AI-generated image of an explosion at the Pentagon circulated around the internet, even though the event didn’t actually happen.

Within about half an hour, the image appeared on a verified Twitter account called “Bloomberg Feed,” which could very easily be mistaken for a real Bloomberg-affiliated account, especially since it had a blue check. That account has since been suspended. The Russian state-controlled news network RT also shared the image, according to screenshots that users captured before the tweet was deleted. Several Twitter accounts with hundreds of thousands of followers, like DeItaone, OSINTdefender and Whale Chart shared it. Even an Indian television network reported the fake Pentagon explosion. It is not immediately clear where this fake image and news story originated.

This is far from the first time that a fake image has successfully tricked the internet, but the stakes are higher when the fake event is an explosion at a U.S. government building, rather than the Pope wearing a Balenciaga coat. Some have reported that the fake image could be tied to a 25 basis point movement of the S&P 500, but the dip didn’t last long, and there’s no way to prove that it was entirely a result of this hoax. The incident does beg the question of how generative AI could be used to game the stock market in the future — after all, Reddit did it.

Misinformation is an issue as old as the internet, but the simultaneous growth of generative AI and change in Twitter’s verification system makes for especially fertile ground. From the get-go, Twitter owner Elon Musk’s plan to strip existing blue checks of their status and let anyone pay for the symbol has been a mess.

above from techcruch https://techcrunch.com/2023/05/22/pentagon-explosion-misinformation-ai/

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I would need to speak to my broker about that. 

Ah but the old “well nothing happened, so it’s ok!”

How about no? We clearly have a platform in Twitter that doesn’t have the safeguards in place to manage misinformation cleanly and quickly. It has real world consequences. It might be a blip today, what about when it is not? 

You're the one that said you don't deserve to lose your money because of shit like this and I agree.  However, as long as you're somewhat diligent and don't instantly panic at every single twitter post then you haven't lost anything. 

This was nothing compared to the Flash Crash and it didn't take fake twitter to cause that.  The markets have been subject to the whims of idiots since the beginning of time.  If you don't want to risk losing money because of the stupidity of others then there are some good rates on CDs these days.

46 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Gotta disagree about the no big deal take. Don't get lulled to sleep by the fact that there were no lasting impacts. This was a learning opportunity for Russia (or Iran, or N Korea, or China) and their trolls. If Mosk's attitude is anything like yours, we'll just get hit harder and the photoshops will be less obvious in the future.

above from techcruch https://techcrunch.com/2023/05/22/pentagon-explosion-misinformation-ai/

What happens when we get a deep fake Biden outside of a comedy setting? (below is CR, NSFW, so linked)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JONzK-AUzro

The fact that the Russians and others were so quick to jump on it and try to validate it with their verified accounts (thereby shooting it up in the trending sections/feeds) - in a normal world, those Russian state accounts would be suspended.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NoName said:

Elon's OP:

Yeah Elon, piss off the AP and other news organizations with your Qanon bullshit, and watch what happens when they start running a lot of deep dives into Tesla, etc.

8 minutes ago, texasdago said:

He really has become the Drunkle at the family reunion.  God what an idiot.  Just wait for him to self-destruct like his rockets.

Him going down the Qanon path is hilarious.  Can't wait for him to start questioning whether Oprah and Tom Hanks are drinking the fluids of children to stay young, or how JFK Jr. is still alive.

I'm wondering when somebody makes a Peter Thiel-like move to replace him as CEO of Tesla.

• Hook 'Em 1

Casey Newton went on This American Life and did a story on Yoel Roth the former Head of Trust and Security at Twitter. This is the guy that literally pressed the button that started labeling Trump's tweets as misinformation and would be the employee that Musk insinuated was a pedo after he quit twitter.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/12/elon-musk-smears-former-twitter-executive-yoel-roth.html

This story likely doesn't tell you anything factual you didn't already think/know. But it puts a human face on the targets of Musk and gives you a sense of just how much power he can wield with just a press of a button.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mullet Free said:

Is he full of shit? Maybe Assuredly

Full of shit? You mean the guy that started predicting FSD capability would be available in Teslas around 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023......

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Full of shit? You mean the guy that started predicting FSD capability would be available in Teslas around 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023......

And yet there are still rubes that will light $15k on fire based on his promises.

2 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

I don't see how any discussion of this guys stays non political. Like the guy plans on much more political activism and attention very soon.

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

You mean like this?

26 minutes ago, Chopper said:

LOL @ "twitter will probably drive a multiple of that" ...

A shitload of that stuff is bots, paid for by various entities, including the politicians running for office. Twitter makes it too easy for people to deploy bots and drive up likes/retweets and therefore causes candidates or issues to rise in the trending areas.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, NoName said:

i don't think a twitter space would stay up if they had 1 million concurrent viewers.

this isn't perfect (link) but the most watched/listened to space was one with Robin Wheeler which is at 2.7m. th most live one was with Pakistan's former prime minister which had 164k live listeners. the one that Elon did in Dec had 97k

if they hit a million some server is going to catch on fire and burn down a datacenter somewhere.

i can't wait to see what kind of shitshow this is going to be. "a multiple of that" lol

per adweek in Q1 "The Five" became the most watched cable news program and averaged 3.26 m viewers per per broadcast (down from 3.41 in Q4) for q1 every fox show from 5- tp midnight averaged greater than 1.6m+ viewers. their 9-11am show averages 1.6 something and their 11a to noon show does as well. so they already drive 1.5m+ viewers on a random tuesday.

oh my god can you imagine if it comes out that Elon did purchase it though (not that i doubt Kara Swisher at all btw)

image.thumb.png.e1f432b6b3e9f051ed2768d690f50b2f.png

Noted off-putting weirdo currently in the news for being subpoenaed due to his connections to Jeffery Epstein. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/elon-musk-subpoena-in-epstein-jpmorgan-lawsuit-can-be-served-to-tesla-judge-rules/ar-AA1bk8bh

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

A shitload of that stuff is bots, paid for by various entities, including the politicians running for office. Twitter makes it too easy for people to deploy bots and drive up likes/retweets and therefore causes candidates or issues to rise in the trending areas.

True but the proof will be whether there's any traction from a twitter spaces campaign announcement. The next will be the first and elmo already had one huge fail.

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

I'm pretty sure Elon was done with Trump when he didn't come back to twitter.  This has been brewing since then.

I understand there's some exclusive deal he signed with the founder of social and he can't violate that with another social media site like twitter. He was probably praying for social to go out of business by now but somehow it's still breathing.

3 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I understand there's some exclusive deal he signed with the founder of social and he can't violate that with another social media site like twitter. He was probably praying for social to go out of business by now but somehow it's still breathing.

The deal was that truth.social gets exclusive access to his posts for a few hours.  His press secretary reposts some of his truth social stuff on twitter.  

It’s about finances and control with him.  He would want reassurances of never being banned again.  And probably 100% of the revenue. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2023/05/elon-musk-ron-desantis-2024-twitter/674149/

Twitter has long been described, even by its most ardent users, as a hellsite. But under Elon Musk, Twitter has evolved into a platform that is indistinguishable from the wastelands of alternative social-media sites such as Truth Social and Parler. It is now a right-wing social network.

In December, I argued that if we are to judge Musk strictly by his actions as Twitter’s owner, it is accurate to call him a far-right activist. As a public figure, he has demonstrated an unwavering commitment to the right’s culture war against progressivism—which he refers to as “the woke mind virus”—and his $44 billion Twitter purchase can easily be seen as an explicitly political act to advance this specific ideology. Now the site itself has unquestionably transformed under his leadership into an alternative social-media platform—one that offers a haven to far-right influencers and advances the interests, prejudices, and conspiracy theories of the right wing of American politics.

Earlier today, NBC News reported that Florida Governor Ron DeSantis is slated to kick off his 2024 presidential campaign in a Twitter Spaces event with Musk. Twitter, quite literally, is a launch pad for right-wing political leaders. Also today, The Daily Wire, the conservative-media juggernaut that is home to Ben Shapiro as well as the political commentators Matt Walsh and Michael Knowles, who are known for arguing against trans rights, announced it would bring its entire slate of podcasts to Twitter starting next week. And earlier this month, the former Fox News host Tucker Carlson announced that he would take his prime-time-show format—a dog-whistling broadcast style known for its fearmongering and bigotry——to Musk’s platform.

Spoiler

Both Carlson and certain Daily Wire hosts have been deplatformed elsewhere—Carlson, of course, only recently lost his sinecure on cable, and Walsh had his popular YouTube channel demonetized over his transphobic commentary. And although they reportedly haven’t brokered official deals with the platform, Carlson and The Daily Wire will likely make use of Twitter’s new subscription features and ad-revenue sharing to monetize their audiences.

This should feel familiar. Twitter is essentially following the playbook of platforms like Rumble, which used to be the go-tos for canceled and deplatformed right-wingers seeking a soft landing and the promise of revenue. Like Rumble, which pivoted from a struggling YouTube alternative into a full-fledged far-right platform in the late 2010s, Twitter appears to be dipping into the well of popular right-wing shock jocks as a way to revive the financially adrift website.

The move makes sense. In just a few months, Musk has actively worked to elevate a particular right-wing, anti-woke ideology. He has reinstated legions of accounts that were previously banned for violating Twitter’s rules and has emboldened trolls, white-nationalist accounts, and January 6 defendants. Musk’s own rhetoric has moved from trolling to dog whistling to outright conspiracy peddling, and it has intensified in recent months, culminating in his recent anti-Semitic remarks about George Soros. A stroll through Musk’s replies on the site reveals the extent to which one of the richest men in the world spends his time replying to far-right influencers and nodding in approval to their racist memes.

A social-media platform will always reflect the values of its owners, and Twitter’s credo is nearly identical to that of the lesser-known alt-tech sites. Despite appearing to cave to the demands of autocratic governments and censoring links to competing platforms, Musk has attempted to position himself as a free-speech absolutist, similar to his right-wing-activist peers. Before shutting down after a failed acquisition by Ye (formerly known as Kanye West), Parler billed itself as the “free-speech social platform.” Truth Social, a website backed in part by Donald Trump, says it encourages “an open, free, and honest global conversation without discriminating on the basis of political ideology.” This language is indistinguishable from the way that Carlson spoke of Musk’s Twitter, arguing that “there aren’t many platforms left that allow free speech,” and that the site is “the last big one remaining in the world.” If it acts like a right-wing website and markets itself as a right-wing website, it just might be a right-wing website.

Twitter has so fully assumed the role of a far-right platform that it might be killing its competitors. When Parler shut down in April, its parent company noted that “no reasonable person believes that a Twitter clone just for conservatives is a viable business any more.” Left unspoken is the reason: Twitter has become a right-wing echo chamber.

If Musk weren’t too preoccupied lapping up approval from trolls, reactionaries, and Dogecoin enthusiasts—a few of the constituencies left on his site that still seem to adore him—the Parler statement should worry him. Right-wing alt-tech platforms may attract investors and a flood of indignant new users with persecution complexes, but they are, ultimately, bad businesses. That’s precisely because they lack the one thing that fuels far-right discourse: a way to own the libs. A culture war is no fun if there’s no actual conflict, and although some journalists and pundit diehards remain, many of Twitter’s prolific users are posting less and on different platforms. Social-media platforms that cater to the right’s ideology eventually become tired and predictable—the result of the same loud people shaking their fist at digital clouds. History has shown us that there are plenty of ways a social network can die, but the quickest way is boredom.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 10:27 AM, trza-hawk said:

These guys sound so awkward, so much of their sentence structure and verbal cadences sounds, speech patterns, reliance on buzzwords. When you take a person who is successful on twitter and record his voice it sounds less than ordinary, and this guy probably made multiple takes to get this video put together.  The way he delivers the generalizations, and rattles off one ridiculous claim after another. Who the hell would elevate a guy like this or care what this guy thinks about anything?

On 5/20/2023 at 1:56 PM, F250 said:

That dude looks like how diarrhea feels.

Muy feo.

Tell me Peter Dinklage raw dogged a crack hoe about 30 years ago without telling me Peter Dinklage raw dogged a crack hoe about 30 years ago.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The deal was that truth.social gets exclusive access to his posts for a few hours.  His press secretary reposts some of his truth social stuff on twitter. 

Ah cool thanks for the correction.

I wonder when was the last time a major presidential candidate announced their candidacy on an audio-only platform. 1960 perhaps? Elron and Meatball are two incredibly socially inept dudes. A conversation between them is going to sound like something you might overhear in a psychiatric ward.

19 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m sure this is unrelated, but they’re also announcing that Space X will launch its next rocket from Cinderella’s castle at Disney World unless Disney proclaims in the next 48 hours that Elsa is not a lesbian and that she has a crush on Ron Desantis.

goddamnit.....now I have to go fact check

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It would be extremely funny if Trump makes his return to Twitter by crashing DeSantis’ announcement.

Lol. 

speaking of crashing, if there was ever a time to pay Twitter $8 and just start posting data from from/dev/urandom in 8 GB chunks, today is it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, NoName said:

i don't think a twitter space would stay up if they had 1 million concurrent viewers.

this isn't perfect (link) but the most watched/listened to space was one with Robin Wheeler which is at 2.7m. th most live one was with Pakistan's former prime minister which had 164k live listeners. the one that Elon did in Dec had 97k

if they hit a million some server is going to catch on fire and burn down a datacenter somewhere.

i can't wait to see what kind of shitshow this is going to be. "a multiple of that" lol

per adweek in Q1 "The Five" became the most watched cable news program and averaged 3.26 m viewers per per broadcast (down from 3.41 in Q4) for q1 every fox show from 5- tp midnight averaged greater than 1.6m+ viewers. their 9-11am show averages 1.6 something and their 11a to noon show does as well. so they already drive 1.5m+ viewers on a random tuesday.

oh my god can you imagine if it comes out that Elon did purchase it though (not that i doubt Kara Swisher at all btw)

image.thumb.png.e1f432b6b3e9f051ed2768d690f50b2f.png

oh my god. it just hit me that spaces is audio only. amazing. what a blown opportunity to announce you are running for president.

i bet audio only announcement for president hasn't been done since the 50s. what an incredible decision.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, NoName said:

oh my god. it just hit me that spaces is audio only. amazing. what a blown opportunity to announce you are running for president.

i bet audio only announcement for president hasn't been done since the 50s. what an incredible decision.

He's doing it audio-only to emphasize his booming, authoritative voice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?