Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

Spiderhead- a pretty good movie. Chris Hemsworth is a psycho who runs a pharmaceutical company and he tests drugs on convicts. It's fucked up but good.

Honeymoon with my Mother- a foreign film, dubbed, sorta recommend. Dude gets dumped at the altar and goes on what was supposed to be his honeymoon with his mom. The main character looks alot like the basketball player Boban Marjanovic. Has some pretty funny parts though.

Edited by Pam Cummings

On 6/16/2022 at 10:27 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Keep Sweet was extremely disturbing. I knew about some of that stuff but hearing the accounts from those women and girls was really tough to watch.

Started watching this last night.  We had recently watched 'Under the Banner of Heaven' on Hulu.  F-FLDS.   

Started watching this last night.  We had recently watched 'Under the Banner of Heaven' on Hulu.  F-FLDS.   

Same. Finished that a couple of weeks ago then this popped up. Not a good look for the Mormons. I think the church had a response to Under the Banner but nothing on Keep Sweet last I looked. And yeah, I know FLDS is not LDS…but…

I’m a big cooking show guy, especially the iron chef but I recommend skipping the iron legend.  Horrible

We watched first ep and it’s less entertaining than it should be. But it’s not cooking show horrible like Next Level Chef or Wall of Chefs. I found the cooking to be extraordinarily clever and and creative. I want to eat at the challenger’s restaurants in New Orleans.

I thought the Chairman was too over the top. Alton has gone from cranky to just an asshole. Kirsten Kish is not natural with this. The judges just plain sucked. Nilou Motamed was a pompous and ignorant, Andrew Zimmern his usual POS self, and the other guy was horrible. With some curating and better judges this could be very good.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

We watched first ep and it’s less entertaining than it should be. But it’s not cooking show horrible like Next Level Chef or Wall of Chefs. I found the cooking to be extraordinarily clever and and creative. I want to eat at the challenger’s restaurants in New Orleans.

I thought the Chairman was too over the top. Alton has gone from cranky to just an asshole. Kirsten Kish is not natural with this. The judges just plain sucked. Nilou Motamed was a pompous and ignorant, Andrew Zimmern his usual POS self, and the other guy was horrible. With some curating and better judges this could be very good.

These are my thoughts in a nut shell though I’m ok with zimmern.  

its also hard to figure out what’s going on. I’m the show.  Is it a tournament?   Round Robin?   Where are the standings?

and why not show us a scoring breakdown?  Per judge?  Or category.   The battle between the four iron chefs is so random.  They also got the scoring wrong here Imo.   The Curtis stone/ French lady team clearly won but I don’t think they wanted to give Marcus S another loss.  

The actual cooking is brilliant.  

the chairman is so cringey that I just mute him when he speaks.  Way too over the top.  Alton is swarms and yes Kirsten is very unnatural and tries way too hard. 

Edited by closetohumping

These are my thoughts in a nut shell though I’m ok with zimmern.  

its also hard to figure out what’s going on. I’m the show.  Is it a tournament?   Round Robin?   Where are the standings?

and why not show us a scoring breakdown?  Per judge?  Or category.   The battle between the four iron chefs is so random.  They also got the scoring wrong here Imo.   The Curtis stone/ French lady team clearly won but I don’t think they wanted to give Marcus S another loss.  

The actual cooking is brilliant.  

the chairman is so cringey that I just mute him when he speaks.  Way too over the top.  Alton is swarms and yes Kirsten is very unnatural and tries way too hard. 

They used to show a complete breakdown of scoring. The progression of the show is not communicated. So far it comes off much like an Alton Brown on tour bit, but with good cooking around it.

Zimmern wears thin in these as he gets Bourdainy. He’s got a show on Discovery+ where he goes to folks houses for big family dinners and he is excellent on that.
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 7:05 AM, Texzilla58 said:

They used to show a complete breakdown of scoring. The progression of the show is not communicated. So far it comes off much like an Alton Brown on tour bit, but with good cooking around it.

Zimmern wears thin in these as he gets Bourdainy. He’s got a show on Discovery+ where he goes to folks houses for big family dinners and he is excellent on that.

Alton is a smarmy know it all.   He used to be a fun guy.  Anyways great cooking on the show but it just wasn’t cohesive and was hard as fuck to remember what they were competing for

On 6/16/2022 at 8:27 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Keep Sweet was extremely disturbing. I knew about some of that stuff but hearing the accounts from those women and girls was really tough to watch.

Started watching this recently and am three episodes in.  Really good stuff.  Sometimes difficult to keep the different family connections straight, but that's a minor quibble.  Warren Jeffs and his ilk need to go die in a fire.

On 6/23/2022 at 6:17 AM, closetohumping said:

I agree. Throughout the series, they kept saying that the best performing challenger would go heads up against each Iron Chef dish by dish, needing to sweep to win, a pretty impossible task. But then the finale was simply her score vs their aggregate score. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I agree. Throughout the series, they kept saying that the best performing challenger would go heads up against each Iron Chef dish by dish, needing to sweep to win, a pretty impossible task. But then the finale was simply her score vs their aggregate score. 

They never said "the score to beat is 86 set by week two challenger Elisa Chou" or whatever.  It was great food but I didn't know what was going on at all.  And it wasn't really a sweep to win, I know they said that, but it was just like regular judging.  She lost 83-82 conveniently.  I'm sure Alton made some big bucks off of that but again, a mess.

Edited by closetohumping

On 6/28/2022 at 2:57 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Started watching this recently and am three episodes in.  Really good stuff.  Sometimes difficult to keep the different family connections straight, but that's a minor quibble.  Warren Jeffs and his ilk need to go die in a fire.

You should read Under the Banner of Heaven. Disturbing people. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Think I’m late to the party, but RRR is amazing. Thought it was going to be overhyped based on film twitter, but definitely worth it. 
Kind of reminded me if Michael Bay did a line of coke and tried to come up with a musical. 

You could never overhype RRR.  There’s no possible way to overhype it.

prove me wrong gordon ramsay GIF by MasterChef Junior

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/31/2018 at 3:15 PM, Evenkeel said:

New season of Trailer Park Boys is way better than any of the other netflix original seasons. It's way more contained and just has them up to their old shenanigans. The dialogue doesn't seem forced and they aren't caricatures of their old selves. And none of the famous person bullshit and ridiculous guest spots that ruined the flow. 

No J-Roc though which is fucked up. And RIP Lahey

Spoiler that shit dude! Just started this a few weeks ago and am on season 10 I think? Got drunk as fuck last night and banged Lucy so I’m not responsible.

Really can’t believe it took me 21 years to discover this shit.

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

You could never overhype RRR.  There’s no possible way to overhype it.

prove me wrong gordon ramsay GIF by MasterChef Junior

Woe me of little faith. 

finally getting around to watching Blade Runner 2049 too. It’s a good movie, but think I prefer Dune. Highly recommend watching it in one sitting. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw some posts in this thread about Fauda. Started watching a couple weeks ago and just finished season three over the weekend. Damn good show. Directing, casting etc…very well done.

Season four drops in Israel this week and on Netflix later this fall. Can’t wait.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 6:07 PM, Helobious said:

Bill burr red rocks special is pretty good. The old comedian bitching about cancel culture trope is pretty unoriginal & played out yet he still does it in a way that’s funny. Shows why he’s one of the best.

Him talking about his kids and not having moments to himself, and talking about growing up in the 70s and 80s was killing me.

Bahubali. (streaming on Netflix).  Watched movies 1 & 2.  Each movie 2.5 hours of amazing Bollywood cinema.  Epic, fantastical, silly, ridiculous.  These movies cover the gamut and are amazing.  Can't count how many times I exclaimed, "oh wow" and thought to myself, "so that just happened".

On 7/14/2022 at 6:07 PM, Helobious said:

Bill burr red rocks special is pretty good. The old comedian bitching about cancel culture trope is pretty unoriginal & played out yet he still does it in a way that’s funny. Shows why he’s one of the best.

got to respect a comedian that can end the show with the light topic of abortion.  Plus his take on Feminism and the WNBA was hilarious.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 11:48 AM, Radical Larry said:

noice.. 

I enjoyed the first.

if i remember.. they can't die? 

and theron is the oldest of them all right? 

the story of the chick that kept drowning for years... fuk.....

.. fuk.. imma have to rewatch  

Edited by kingkoopa6
  • Hook 'Em 1

Girl in the Picture documentary is bananas.  If it were fiction, you'd think it was too far fetched. 

No shit. Haven't been this moved by a documentary since Dear Zachary.

Blacklab and Pokoloco beat me to it.   Make the time and watch it.  Girl in the Picture.

Fair warning, it is some grim sick twisted shit. It was almost too much for me.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah it was crazy. Wife and I watched it the other night. A quadruple twist story that if it was a movie you’d call serious bullshit, “this would never happen! This is stupid!” Type story

It’s very sad

She would have made an outstanding Yellow Jacket

• Like 2