Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

5 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Has anyone watched Uncharted? It looks action packed. 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It was entertaining enough

This.  Hard to describe, but Holland and Wahlberg were solid, but Nathan and Sully....weren't given enough time to gel or however you want to look at it. 

It's one of the more competent video game adaptations.

Feel like it could have been better, but the cast was right.

It's mindless adventure.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

This.  Hard to describe, but Holland and Wahlberg were solid, but Nathan and Sully....weren't given enough time to gel or however you want to look at it. 

It's one of the more competent video game adaptations.

Feel like it could have been better, but the cast was right.

It's mindless adventure.

What? Have you played any Uncharted games? 

The movie felt like the writers got super high, then skimmed the Uncharted 4 Wiki entry.

22 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

The movie felt like the writers got super high, then skimmed the Uncharted 4 Wiki entry.

I felt like they skimmed the Uncharted 2 and 3 wiki entries more (the plane sequence alone was lifted from the video game), but it's been years since I played those.  I also felt like they assumed a lot of the audience had not played the games.

It's a video game adaptation and they are doing an original origin story so my standards were extremely low, and I knew they were tossing big names into the movie because it was lacking elsewhere. 

They weren't going to cast Jensen Ackles with Nathan Fillion as Sully (I'd prefer Fillion in the lead but this was an origin story so they went young), so we were stuck with Holland and Wahlberg, and they were not really the problem with the movie.  

Like I said, mindless adventure.

Put it another way: My biggest problems are with the writing and the ending.  I still don't see how Sony considers this the launch of a franchise, and I am assuming that it won't be after the reviews and box office.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Woman In Gold....

We were scrolling through the offerings and gave this one a go and it's a quietly but nicely done piece. Helen Mirren, Ryan Reynolds, small part with Katie Holmes. Chronicles the effort by Randy Schoenberg (Reynolds), attorney, to restore ownership of the Gustav Klimt painting, Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer, to its rightful owner, Maria Altman. The painting was of Altman's aunt Adele and was stolen from her family by the Nazi regime in Vienna, Austria during the Anschluss. Case went before SCOTUS in the U.S.

The family actually owned several paintings by Klimt but the film focuses on the portrait for obvious reasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I felt like they skimmed the Uncharted 2 and 3 wiki entries more (the plane sequence alone was lifted from the video game), but it's been years since I played those.  I also felt like they assumed a lot of the audience had not played the games.

It's a video game adaptation and they are doing an original origin story so my standards were extremely low, and I knew they were tossing big names into the movie because it was lacking elsewhere. 

They weren't going to cast Jensen Ackles with Nathan Fillion as Sully (I'd prefer Fillion in the lead but this was an origin story so they went young), so we were stuck with Holland and Wahlberg, and they were not really the problem with the movie.  

Like I said, mindless adventure.

Put it another way: My biggest problems are with the writing and the ending.  I still don't see how Sony considers this the launch of a franchise, and I am assuming that it won't be after the reviews and box office.

if it makes you feel better the movie has been in development since literally late 2007/early 2008.

Wahlberg was somehow attached to play Nathan Drake until like 2014? then exited the project and came back as Victor.

the development entry in the wiki is worth reading, because it has been a shitshow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncharted_(film)#Development

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Woman In Gold....

We were scrolling through the offerings and gave this one a go and it's a quietly but nicely done piece. Helen Mirren, Ryan Reynolds, small part with Katie Holmes. Chronicles the effort by Randy Schoenberg (Reynolds), attorney, to restore ownership of the Gustav Klimt painting, Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer, to its rightful owner, Maria Altman. The painting was of Altman's aunt Adele and was stolen from her family by the Nazi regime in Vienna, Austria during the Anschluss. Case went before SCOTUS in the U.S.

The family actually owned several paintings by Klimt but the film focuses on the portrait for obvious reasons.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

If you turn your brain off and think of it as just a mindless actiony/adventure movie, it's a perfectly fine popcorn flick.

Finally watched the Woodstock '99 doc. If Michael Lang wasn't dead, he should have been sued into oblivion. He's on the Mount Rushmore of douche bags that enjoy sniffing their own farts.

We just watched it. At that time I was buried in a dot.com startup in Portland and pretty oblivious to everything. I don’t remember anything about it.

Holy shit that was fucking out of control. Those producers should have been sued out of existence and then charged for the tapes of these women. And these musicians reveled in getting these folks to go crazy. Assholes.

On 8/9/2022 at 3:06 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.  And I didn't even know about Woodstock '94, and I was a prime demographic for that at the time.

I was there. Total fucking shit show, literally, but Nine Inch Nails was fucking bad ass.

I was on every drug available. 

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 1

Finally watched the Woodstock '99 doc. If Michael Lang wasn't dead, he should have been sued into oblivion. He's on the Mount Rushmore of douche bags that enjoy sniffing their own farts.

I think John Scher is worse than him

Dude needs his ass beat even at 65 yrs old or whatever
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think John Scher is worse than him

Dude needs his ass beat even at 65 yrs old or whatever

He’s a piece of shit too. That clip from security: don’t do the stupid candlelight vigil! Scher: shut up!

Fat Boy Slim: “I love chaos and thrive on it!” Uhh you hyped those folks into gang raping women and teen age girls. No remorse. “I didn’t have anything to do with that. I was disappointed they turned me off.” “Then they started throwing bottles at me! Im scared! Get me out!”
  • Like 1

I Just Killed My Dad is different from most True Crime. Only three episodes. A 15 year old boy shoots his old man and readily admits to it. The show is mostly about the horrific childhood this kid had and how at every turn his mother, grandparents, police, CPS, the courts all dropped the ball in fixing the situation with this monstrous father. It was very sobering.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'm on ep 2 of 3 of the Woodstock thing.

I agree with all posted above.  John Scher seems like the biggest piece of shit of them all.  Michael Lang, I give him credit for pulling off the original, but fuck man...how out of fucking touch do you have to be?!

I like the one guy with the beard that apparently spoke up during one of the production meetings as a 22 year old.  They just looked at him like he was a fucking moron.

Watched "I Just Killed my Dad" yesterday.  

I'm glad he didn't end up in jail, but that kid is fucked up...and will be for the foreseeable future.  Sad, like @Texzilla58 said...everyone failed him.

I Just Killed My Dad is different from most True Crime. Only three episodes. A 15 year old boy shoots his old man and readily admits to it. The show is mostly about the horrific childhood this kid had and how at every turn his mother, grandparents, police, CPS, the courts all dropped the ball in fixing the situation with this monstrous father. It was very sobering.

I enjoyed the series and thought it was well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoyed the series and thought it was well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see what happens to him in his probation. In some ways he’s a true man child, almost like he was raised by wolves. Zero education, either in book learning or simple social structures. He has requirements in his probation for including getting a HS diploma, counseling, and not breaking a law. His birth mother could barely look at him and I guess he returned to Baton Rouge. Is he living with his stepmother? On his own when he never had money? He was disastrously failed for years by the charity that should have helped him ten years ago. No one got off their ass to do a goddamn thing for this kid except his attorney. This is part a result of snitches get stitches mentality amongst a large group of society.

And like you, glad he didn’t go away for life, but I think he’s going to be pretty scary to be around. If he ends up killing again won’t be surprised.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The prosecutor deserves some credit. I think a lot would have been hell bent to put him away. 

Agreed. Initially she was coming off as committed to murder 2 and life. I think as all the shit about this father weighed on her and she probably knew she risked a likely hung jury, at best manslaughter and possible zero sentence. It’s interesting how the mock trial went to manslaughter. And that they had to focus on the shit this kid endured. Any attorneys that watch or CPS folks would like your opinions.

On 8/5/2022 at 5:47 AM, Bama Chick said:

The new docuseries “Trainwreck : Woodstock ‘99” is great.

I had a 7 month old at the time and wasn’t really paying attention to that kind of thing. I vaguely remember it being a shitshow but wow.

When Millennials/GenZ go to a garbage fire music festival (Fyre Fest) they make memes on social media about shitty cheese sandwiches.

GenX rioted, stole everything not nailed down, committed rape and assault, and burned the whole thing to the ground lol.

i feel like i've seen this somewhere other than netflix, maybe 6 months or so ago.   could it have been on another network first?

Jesus I knew it was a trainwreck but I didn’t realize it was that bad.

I was in the middle of UT dayz and had friends that wanted to go. I don’t think anyone I know actually went.

Fuck both Lang and Scher, corner cutting money grabbers.

I always knew it was set off during Limp Bizkit on day 2 and the chili peppers singing Fire on Sunday but damn I didn’t realize Rage and Metallica still went on after Bizkit on Saturday night. Crazy

Just watched the Manti Teo story. Wow! Worth the watch.  There will always be questions, but at least I can now see plausible deniability.  Dude got fkd by a real trans sociopath.  If nothing else the story humanized him again.  I hope he can find peace in life. Damn.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 10:39 AM, Helobious said:

Untold Manti doc was crazier than I thought it’d be. Never knew how much effort that Ronaiah person put into the catfish. You get a big look at Manti’s personality/mentality too. I can easily see how he’d be naive enough to fall for that. 

I came away feeling that a lot of us (me included) owe Manti a big apology.  

• Hook 'Em 4

Railwayman.  Older (10 years maybe) WW2 flick set in Coastal UK, with Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman (who I generally like...Lion, Big Little Lies etc..).  Its a two-timeline story of a Brittish Battalion taken capture in the South Pacific, tortured, forced labor etc...the main plot is Firth's character dealing with the PTSD of the prisoner trauma.  Pretty good and worth the watch, couple twists or two and based on a true story , which I wasnt aware of at viewing.

Jesus I knew it was a trainwreck but I didn’t realize it was that bad.

I was in the middle of UT dayz and had friends that wanted to go. I don’t think anyone I know actually went.

Fuck both Lang and Scher, corner cutting money grabbers.

I always knew it was set off during Limp Bizkit on day 2 and the chili peppers singing Fire on Sunday but damn I didn’t realize Rage and Metallica still went on after Bizkit on Saturday night. Crazy

I could have gone the rest of my life without seeing Flea’s dick and been just fine.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I came away feeling that a lot of us (me included) owe Manti a big apology.  

Agree. Ronhia (sp?) basically ruined his career because they (he?) gave him social anxiety and teams were reluctant to draft him because rumors he were gay.

questions I still have:

1. Who tipped off dead spin?

2. I find it hard to believe that will all the coverage of the story of her dying, no one told Diana O’Meara “hey, you look a lot like Manti’s girlfriend”

Digging "Kleo" after the first episode. Really scratches that Cold War nostalgia itch. Without saying too much (not much to say after a single episode but it moves fast), it's about an East German assassissin/spy chick/overall badass with a parallel story about an inept West Berlin fraud inspector, who no one takes seriously, trying to catch her.

Edit: It's also humorous.

Edited by bolverk

Manti teoshit is wild. Who tipped off first

the Woodstock 99 shit was real good. I lived in NEPA at the time with some roommates. Roommates come to me with this crazy idea. Dude let’s go to Woodstock it’s a short drive we can sleep in the car or pack a tent. I’m like fuck no man I’m not sleeping on the ground for a concert.  I went anyway. Dipped after they first day. Drove back the next day my roommates stayed for the fuckery 

Kleo is one of Netflix best in a while.  My German ain't great, but it seemed like the 1st ep the STASI was speaking (and kleo does) was a really old-fashioned... fashion.  Formal, I guess.  Anyway, good entertainment.   Homage to Kill Bill is hilarious.

Collateral.  Such an excellent movie.  I pull up the Javier Bardem scene all the time on YouTube.  He does such an unbelievable job of jumping between control, bubbling over rage, and condescension.  It’s on Netflix right now so I took the time to watch the whole thing for the first time in several years.  

Excellent  modern noir sort of thing blended with action.  Great roles for Cruise, Fox, Bardem. Ruffalo and Jada Pinkett Smith are fine in their places too. 

On 8/15/2022 at 4:11 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Just finished episode 1. Damn shits getting messed up