Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 10/10/2022 at 9:21 PM, Post Oak said:

My long nightmare is over.  I've been waiting for year's for S3 of Derry Girls

I hated S3 Ep1. Worst of the bunch. I thought I was watching it at 1.5 speed.  The rest of it was absolutely wonderful

Oh good, I watched 3e1 last night and it was weak. Glad it returns to form.

• Hook 'Em 1

it's a good show for heart

weird thing in episode 1 with mentioning Scorsese in the video store and having what seemed like... certainly a direct reference to Goodfellas with the bunny in the trunk. I was trying to figure out if they were doing a whole movie thing (and maybe that is a partial explanation for the weak justification for how the girls ended up in their pickle) but I think it was just a really narrow reference. Loved Neeson and I hope we get more Colm.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/16/2022 at 9:53 AM, Bama Llama said:

Fookin Derry Girls is both grand and brilliant! It moves at the speed of sound and at times beyond. Ah canna folls the speed Ulster ox-int at times.

Mrs Llama, Baby Llama and I just discovered it. Beginning to see what’s meant by “Fighting Irish,” Lord luv ‘em.

You're a Derry Girl now Llama

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

I started The Watcher, mainly because I was impressed by the cast. Naomi Watts, Bobby Carnivale, Jennifer Coolidge, Margo Martindale, Shooter McGavin, and others. First ep was pretty good.

Binged 4 episodes over the weekend.  Pretty good. 

Just now, Guadaloopy said:

Hated the ending.  But others may not.

I think I heard something in a recent interview about it that it is based on a true story; wonder if that impacted how the ending was written (limited artistic license).

I guess I'll find out soon enough.

On 10/20/2022 at 9:49 AM, Red Five said:

I started The Watcher, mainly because I was impressed by the cast. Naomi Watts, Bobby Carnivale, Jennifer Coolidge, Margo Martindale, Shooter McGavin, and others. First ep was pretty good.

I was pissed off at myself for watching the entire thing

• Hook 'Em 4

On 10/20/2022 at 3:25 PM, DDD Dad said:

I think I heard something in a recent interview about it that it is based on a true story; wonder if that impacted how the ending was written (limited artistic license).

I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Yeah they used the words "based on" very, very loosely. They took one odd thing that happened in the beginning and spun an entire series from that. They were intentionally misleading at best.

• Hook 'Em 1

Derry Girls - not something I ever would have even thought about watching, mostly because I find sitcoms across the board are mostly dumb and unbearable. But enough of you aholes raved about it so I gave it a shot. It started out moderately entertaining but I hung in there and the final ep of Series 1 about wee lezzies and the talent show was truly one of the funniest shows I've ever watched.  I nearly spit out a lung watching it last night. On to S2.

The Stranger - an Aussie film based on the true story of an undercover murder investigation of an 8 year old boy. It's stark and dark, delving into the stories of both the undercover LEO and the target of the investigation, but it's a story told well and I thought worth watching. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/22/2022 at 5:11 PM, Dilligas said:

I was pissed off at myself for watching the entire thing

We've still got one episode left.  The second-to-last episode storyline felt like they ran out of ideas and just started throwing shit on the walls.  Looks like it's headed towards a nonsensical finish.

22 hours ago, Chopper said:

Derry Girls - not something I ever would have even thought about watching, mostly because I find sitcoms across the board are mostly dumb and unbearable. But enough of you aholes raved about it so I gave it a shot. It started out moderately entertaining but I hung in there and the final ep of Series 1 about wee lezzies and the talent show was truly one of the funniest shows I've ever watched.  I nearly spit out a lung watching it last night. On to S2.

it gets better with every rewatch.  Watch Orla in the background.  She's ridiculous 

• Hook 'Em 2

Another show to avoid is Pieces of Her. I watched because the synopsis was intriguing enough, plus it stars Toni Collette.

image.thumb.png.663212f2b653d4585a6a6c4ee9a60d35.png

First 2 eps were good enough although there were hints about future suck-age. However it goes completely haywire in the 3rd ep and that's when you start wondering if you're going to have to hate watch it just to see what happens. By ep 4, however, you realize it's not about your hate for the show you're watching, but that you will actually hate yourself if you watch even one more minute.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Another show to avoid is Pieces of Her. I watched because the synopsis was intriguing enough, plus it stars Toni Collette.

image.thumb.png.663212f2b653d4585a6a6c4ee9a60d35.png

First 2 eps were good enough although there were hints about future suck-age. However it goes completely haywire in the 3rd ep and that's when you start wondering if you're going to have to hate watch it just to see what happens. By ep 4, however, you realize it's not about your hate for the show you're watching, but that you will actually hate yourself if you watch even one more minute.

I've got two episodes left. I am considering bailing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

And this is a pretty common theme for me on these limited series Netflix type shows. Intrigued by the premise, nice cast, seemingly well made. I enjoy the first episode or two, and by episode seven I'm ready to watch just about anything else. Mission accomplished, I guess. 

17 hours ago, Red Five said:

And this is a pretty common theme for me on these limited series Netflix type shows. Intrigued by the premise, nice cast, seemingly well made. I enjoy the first episode or two, and by episode seven I'm ready to watch just about anything else. Mission accomplished, I guess. 

You just described The Watcher. 

Other than watching Naomi Watts, who you could film doing just about anything and I’d be in. 

On 10/24/2022 at 2:28 PM, Chopper said:

The Stranger - an Aussie film based on the true story of an undercover murder investigation of an 8 year old boy. It's stark and dark, delving into the stories of both the undercover LEO and the target of the investigation, but it's a story told well and I thought worth watching. 

Season 2 - Dining table scene with the Ukrainian. "Maeve. Is that the name of your fancy woman? Maeve"

Polar bear episode.

Rock climbing - "Fenian bastard"

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

You just described The Watcher. 

Other than watching Naomi Watts, who you could film doing just about anything and I’d be in. 

The Watcher is a magazine article stretched out into a mini-series. It's the classic "we don't have enough material but let's make it a Netflix series anyway" show on Netflix. 

I've become suspicious of any true crime/thriller series on Netflix. Watching them on Netflix is like answering an unknown number that called your cell.

Two netflix shows for your consideration:

Ali's Wedding - 92% on the tomatometer. A film based on a true story about a boy who, with his family, was able to escape Saddam Hussein's Iraq to grow up in Melbourne, Australia. The screenplay was adapted from Good Muslim Boy, a memoir by actor Osamah Sami, who plays himself. A rom-com with a few cliches but overall, an excellent story that's engaging, funny and fascinating.  

image.thumb.png.23f3cf50f4ea8dcdf2cbb36bf892a615.png

Heartbreak High - I'm just one episode in out of the initial 8 but it's clear this is a quality show - certainly better, with a more realistic edge, than most shows that focus on public high schools.  Focuses on gender, sexuality, drug-taking, and slut-shaming in a very modern way.  100% so far on the tomatometer. 

image.thumb.png.263c33929ce84910706f3e2a654b243e.png

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

The School of Good and Evil- was really long.. 

took me two days to kill it.

Recommend? eh, if you are into witchcraft and sorcery, then maybe yea.

Was fine.  I was high during it, so it made it really trippy lol.  But it was long

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2022 at 6:59 AM, DDD Dad said:

Have you ever seen The Painted Veil--Watts, Edward Norton, Liev Schreiber, Toby Jones et al?

Loved her in that, although the movie itself makes me very weepy. Always thought it was under-rated.

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

New season of “Barbarians” dropped this week.

I’ve only watched the first two episodes but it’s pretty good.

Sort of fills the violent ancient drama hole left by HotD ending.

I wanted to like the prior season more but I just couldn't. Maybe it was the language barrier and how I had my TV CC set up.  I'm still going to add it to my list because I'm a sucker for these kinds of shows. 

Thanks for the heads up.

Barbaren (Barbarians, I only put the title in the original German becasue you lose something if you watch the dubbed version) was good for season 1. I'm a suckered for these historical shows, though. Someone could make a show about George Washington eating his breakfast and I'd be on the edge of my seat.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Not bad. Produced by the Blown Away folks. I like the host. But far too many hipster types among the bartenders. 

43 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Same with blown away wrt hipsters. But I kind of expect that in that art form. 

Yep. But it was fascinating shit.  I think every dude was gay. Nttawwt

On 10/28/2022 at 8:32 PM, Post Oak said:

I wanted to like the prior season more but I just couldn't. Maybe it was the language barrier and how I had my TV CC set up.  I'm still going to add it to my list because I'm a sucker for these kinds of shows. 

Thanks for the heads up.

Halfway through s2.  It's better than s1 imo.

Been working through Cabinet of Curiosities for Halloween weekend.  Guillermo del toro has his name on it, and introduces each story like Alfred Hitchcock would do or rod Serling on twilight zone. 8 scary stories, an hour each. Nothing too scary or crazy. 

cast is good. F Murray Abraham in one. Ron Weasley in another.  Crispin glover, shockingly, playing a strange and creepy character. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

11 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Been working through Cabinet of Curiosities for Halloween weekend.  Guillermo del toro has his name on it, and introduces each story like Alfred Hitchcock would do or rod Serling on twilight zone. 8 scary stories, an hour each. Nothing too scary or crazy. 

cast is good. F Murray Abraham in one. Ron Weasley in another.  Crispin glover, shockingly, playing a strange and creepy character. 

Worth the watch?