Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 7/25/2020 at 7:29 AM, A-Tex Devil said:

Warrior Nun is fun.  I am liking it much better than Cursed, which it isn’t wholly different from.  

It seems to be getting no run though.  

On 7/27/2020 at 5:11 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Just finished Warrior Nun. Not enough demons and sword play. No boobs even though the warrior nun is very rude. Could have been worse I guess.

On 7/27/2020 at 7:50 PM, bernorange said:

I watched Warrior Nun.  I'm still not sure why.

Warrior Nun Season 2 been out a couple weeks- Finally getting around to it.

been so long, i forgot what happen in season 1.

but the chicks are older and still hot

Warrior Nun' Season 1 Review: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Fangirlish

Alba Baptista Hello GIF - Alba Baptista Hello One Moment ...

Alba Baptista gif - Alba Baptista Photo (43166938) - Fanpop

Alba Baptista Jumping Rope GIF - Alba Baptista Jumping Rope Bounce -  Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by kingkoopa6
  • Hook 'Em 1

Watched Bullet Train and Troll. 

Bullet Train was fun for what it was....  Shoot 'em, decent action flick.   They wasted Michael Shannon though.   Would have liked for him to had more screen time.  

Troll had a lot of potential but kind of fell flat.  By the end of the movie, I was rooting for the troll king.

The Swimmers. 

About two sisters who escape the civil war in Syria and land as refugees in Germany after a harrowing migration. 
One of sisters is really good swimmer and the Rio Olympics has a refugee olympic team that she ends up making. 
Was pretty decent and good watch with middle/high school kids. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We watched the Korean rom com series (1 season, 12 episodes) called Business Proposal (in Korean with fast moving subtitles).  As is typical for the genre, a lot of the plot elements were rather contrived and/or relied on people making really dumb decisions, but it didn't really matter.  I was entertained.  The series had some very artistic scenes to communicate character thoughts/emotions and montages - some reminiscent of Attorney Woo and some that seemed original/unique to me.  Female lead was really good in her role,  Watching the characters struggle with Korean social norms that folks here in the West wouldn't think twice about was fascinating.  Some of the secondary characters were so over-the-top/absurd that they were a little distracting at times, but by the time you notice that you should have fully suspended any belief in the show as taking place in the real world, so just roll with it.  Wives/girlfriends will likely love it.

Anyone check out Katla? Googled and it came out as a top 10 recommendation. Dead people come back to life via a volcano, but they’re all different.

Reminded me of Dark with a splash of Stephen King.  Icelandic production.  Started slow but picked up with later episodes.

I thought it was really good. Disturbing in parts, some horror, but surprisingly existential with one story line. Ending seems like season 2 will go off the rails.

On 3/5/2022 at 10:45 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Vikings Valhalla was good, if a little eye rolly for all the double crossing and back stabbing. 

On 3/11/2022 at 7:03 PM, Post Oak said:

Just finished Vikkngs Valhalla.  I don't know why I get excited about these shows.  Meatyokra 

On 3/14/2022 at 7:44 AM, Tylerocks said:

Finished Vikings Valhalla last night.  Agree with the above on the double-crossing etc.. But it was solid.  Queen Emma is hot.

Season 2 trailer 

Christ Almighty! Catching up on season 3 derry girls. actually loved ep 1, now on the dead nun's aunt and dead grandma episode. all of the episodes definitely grand IMO. But yeah, olra in the background, the father in law hating on gerry, the english cousin getting shit on, and interplay of the two main chicks are all top notch; need a rewatch in order to catch all the jokes even if due to the difficulty of the accent. Very Veep in that respect for me. 

Binge watched the whole series with the wife the last couple of weeks. Holy crap, I loved it. Loved the characters, loved the story, the culture and times it captured, the whole damn thing.
And yeah, it even choked me up a few times. I’m an old sentimental bastard. Sue me.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Binge watched the whole series with the wife the last couple of weeks. Holy crap, I loved it. Loved the characters, loved the story, the culture and times it captured, the whole damn thing.
And yeah, it even choked me up a few times. I’m an old sentimental bastard. Sue me.

it was very good 

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

it was very good 

Watched the last episode, and I actually turned to my wife during the sequence below and said "you know, the world needs more Orlas."

80238566-derry-girls-universal-base-na-z

And the sequences leading up to the vote on the Good Friday Agreement....I was a geopolitics junkie at the time (read and studied a lot on the various interwoven terrorist movements of the 70s-80s), had followed The Troubles more than was healthy.  To see a fictional snapshot of people, regular people, making that choice was poignant as hell.  It really was one of the triumphs of the 20th century, and to see it not on TV, or in a history book, but through the eyes of common folks was powerful.

I teared up watching Orla's pure exuberance.  I teared up again as they voted.  It was a great show about....people.  Had NO idea I'd like it so much.

My wife has the same type of cute upturned nose that Erin has.  When she and James kissed, it was one of the simple and perfect things in life -- the first kiss.  As I stewed on it, I told my wife that it reminded me of our first kiss, 32 years ago.  With all that has happened since then (we've done, uh, much more than kiss), it's still among the best memories and moments of my life.

Oh, and I always appreciated that Michelle cussed almost as much as I do.  Made me feel a bit better about my profane self.

It was an innocent show about innocent people, who weren't always innocent, and who lived their lives in not-innocent times.  Great storytelling.

Like I said, as profane and often angry as I can be, I'm a sentimental old romantic at heart.  So I love stories like this.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Watched the last episode, and I actually turned to my wife during the sequence below and said "you know, the world needs more Orlas."

80238566-derry-girls-universal-base-na-z

And the sequences leading up to the vote on the Good Friday Agreement....I was a geopolitics junkie at the time (read and studied a lot on the various interwoven terrorist movements of the 70s-80s), had followed The Troubles more than was healthy.  To see a fictional snapshot of people, regular people, making that choice was poignant as hell.  It really was one of the triumphs of the 20th century, and to see it not on TV, or in a history book, but through the eyes of common folks was powerful.

I teared up watching Orla's pure exuberance.  I teared up again as they voted.  It was a great show about....people.  Had NO idea I'd like it so much.

My wife has the same type of cute upturned nose that Erin has.  When she and James kissed, it was one of the simple and perfect things in life -- the first kiss.  As I stewed on it, I told my wife that it reminded me of our first kiss, 32 years ago.  With all that has happened since then (we've done, uh, much more than kiss), it's still among the best memories and moments of my life.

Oh, and I always appreciated that Michelle cussed almost as much as I do.  Made me feel a bit better about my profane self.

It was an innocent show about innocent people, who weren't always innocent, and who lived their lives in not-innocent times.  Great storytelling.

Like I said, as profane and often angry as I can be, I'm a sentimental old romantic at heart.  So I love stories like this.

the political stuff was just very well done and perfectly weaves into the story 

• Hook 'Em 1