Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 1/17/2023 at 8:35 AM, bernorange said:

I stumbled upon Superbros last night.  Australian comedy series.  It's wacky, demented, foul and fresh.  Episode 2 had me legit lol.

20 min episodes, so it's not a huge time investment.  

Sorry, the correct title is just: Superbro

(not plural).  Best laughs I've have from a TV show in a long time.  Highly recommend.  Only complaint is that there are only 12 episodes total.  For some reason the Netflix UI is screwy and it shows you season 2 by default and then season 1.  It doesn't really matter though as each show is it's own thing (no overarching story between shows).  The last show (end of season 1) with zombies was probably the weakest of the catalogue IMO.

On 12/31/2022 at 1:31 AM, Fuga said:

Treason. A concise 5 episodes. Never boring. Never lags. Not a happy ending but it is wrapped up favorably - can't think of a better word but I've been up for forever.

I almost bailed after the 1st episode but I'm glad I stuck with it.   There were a few plot issues I had with the whole thing (major one was why did Angelis bring Adam in so deep into MI6 and name him as temporary head if there were the double agent issues) but overall, I was entertained.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I Used To Be Famous was worth the watch. 

on my list.  Just watched Sing Street last night (last day on Netflix is January 31) and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Nice coming of age, teen angst show set in Ireland about a guy and his friend's starting a band.

13 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

“Physical:100”.  It’s a Korean athletic competition with different types of athletes competing in different physical challenges.  The kicker is to turn on English dubbing.  It is sublimely hilarious.  

I only watched one episode, but it is entertaining enough to see what happens.  The first 30+ minutes was just contestants walking into the room and meeting each other, so that could have been cut down.  The Squid Game aspect of it is gimmicky but I don't blame them after how popular that show was.

If the editing of the challenges remains the same with the double cuts, I will probably not make it through episode 2.  That shit is so fucking lame and annoying.

I've never heard people talk about each others' physique so much, that was pretty weird.

3 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

I only watched one episode, but it is entertaining enough to see what happens.  The first 30+ minutes was just contestants walking into the room and meeting each other, so that could have been cut down.  The Squid Game aspect of it is gimmicky but I don't blame them after how popular that show was.

If the editing of the challenges remains the same with the double cuts, I will probably not make it through episode 2.  That shit is so fucking lame and annoying.

I've never heard people talk about each others' physique so much, that was pretty weird.

I watched the second episode and the editing does not get better.  But the dubbing still cracks me up with one or two people trying to do different voices for the different competitors.  

It’s a couple years old but I just watched “ghosts of Sugar Land”. 20 minute documentary about a young guy from Sugar Land that allegedly went to Syria and joined ISIS after converting to Islam in Texas. The interviews are with his close friend group, who are split on if he really was radicalized or if he was an FBI plant the entire time. Really well done.

Y'all can skip You People. If you've seen the trailer you've pretty much seen the movie, which consists mainly of humans acting in ways that no human would act. 

"Here black person, let's sit down and have food and discuss the differences between black people and white people. This will surely lead to high comedy."

Fun watching Eddie Murphy though. Glad he's having a renaissance. 

Wales is "about to have its Netflix moment." 'Catch the Lightning' to be released on Netflix in 6 hour-long episodes in March.

There is a pleasingly twisty plot, a ragtag mob of great characters and some wonderful landscapes, but the star of a heist series nabbed by Netflix is arguably Cymraeg – the Welsh language.

In a landmark moment for the creative industry in Wales, the thriller Dal y Mellt (Catch the Lightning) has become the first Welsh language-only show to be bought by the streaming service.

Welsh language campaigners are delighted; tourism officials hope fans of the show will head to Wales to visit some of the places featured; arts bosses hope it will pave the way for many more Welsh-language dramas.

“It feels like a real moment,” said Siân Doyle, the chief executive of the Welsh-language channel S4C, which commissioned the drama. “It shows we can stand on the world stage. In Dal y Mellt I think the language adds to the personality of the drama. The landscape is a character but I think the language is too.”

Requiem on Netflix is a great detective show based in Wales but it's in English. Hidden, an absolutely fantastic detective show also filmed in Wales, is streaming on Britbox but is mostly English language, not Welsh, at least in the version shown in the US. The new Welsh heist series is apparently going after the Nordic Noir crowd.

Edited by Chopper

I just finished Jack Ryan S2.  S1 was very good but S2 was full of shit.

Spoiler

1.  Greer meeting with Bonalde was clearly bad news from the very start.  There's no way the CIA would be that stupid, right?

2.  Killing of Matice pissed me off something fierce.   He was a great character.

3. Bishop getting off the boat was completely unnecessary.   There were better ways for the crew to find the camp.  And Bishop was the one who should have caught a bullet.   

4.  Storming the Presidential Palace to save Greer?  What the fucking what?

5.  I spent the pretty much half the season wondering how Ryan and Greer would be able to walk away from the clusterfuck that they cause so the Northlake Allied angle at the end made it work but still.

6.  Sergio Bonalde is alive and on-board the Peralta after the rescue so they fly his family out to the boat instead of sending him home?   Stupid.  

I'll still watch S3 but S3 was just stupid.

15 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Hide contents

1.  Greer meeting with Bonalde was clearly bad news from the very start.  There's no way the CIA would be that stupid, right?

2.  Killing of Matice pissed me off something fierce.   He was a great character.

3. Bishop getting off the boat was completely unnecessary.   There were better ways for the crew to find the camp.  And Bishop was the one who should have caught a bullet.   

5.  I spent the pretty much half the season wondering how Ryan and Greer would be able to walk away from the clusterfuck that they cause so the Northlake Allied angle at the end made it work but still.

6.  Sergio Bonalde is alive and on-board the Peralta after the rescue so they fly his family out to the boat instead of sending him home?   Stupid.  

Not Netflix 

Been binging on the Sinner.  Pretty decent as far as detective stories go.  Takes some literary license, but the stories in the first two seasons had some interesting plot twists.  How they bring in Pullman's own past is well written.  

I'm on S3, and I will admit each season starts off very boggy, but picks up.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Scraps said:

I probably missed The Watcher talk since it has been out a few months, but just watched ep 1 and it was creepy enough to keep me around.  

Doesn't have that great of rating on most sites so I am guessing it gets really stupid really fast 

There was some discussion upthread. I made it through it, but the show started falling apart a little bit in the middle. The ending was somewhat clever, if entirely fictional, but it's supposedly based on a true story. If I recall correctly, someone said something along the lines of it being a magazine article that got stretched out into an entire series and there just wasn't enough content to work from.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2023 at 9:17 AM, Red Five said:

Y'all can skip You People. If you've seen the trailer you've pretty much seen the movie, which consists mainly of humans acting in ways that no human would act. 

"Here black person, let's sit down and have food and discuss the differences between black people and white people. This will surely lead to high comedy."

Fun watching Eddie Murphy though. Glad he's having a renaissance. 

Yeah, it was rough. Could've been a lot better with the cast. Just tired nonsense.

New Amsterdam. I don't know if this show has been mentioned on this site, the last official episode was a couple of weeks ago on NBC. However, the full series is on Peacock but 4 seasons are on Netflix. My wife and I are into medical series for some reason, having binged watched Saving Hope (loved it) and The Resident. This one is actually based on a book by a real person and a real hospital in New York:Twelve Patients: Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital by Eric Manheimer. The name of the hospital and the main character who is a Medical Director have been changed. It's not a documentary. Great stories.

Edited by Brandywine

On 1/29/2023 at 2:12 PM, Macanudo said:

Reveal hidden contents

On 1/29/2023 at 2:28 PM, Js1 said:

Not Netflix 

Picard-facepalm GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

On 1/30/2023 at 3:06 AM, pyrohornIII said:

Been binging on the Sinner.  Pretty decent as far as detective stories go.  Takes some literary license, but the stories in the first two seasons had some interesting plot twists.  How they bring in Pullman's own past is well written.  

I'm on S3, and I will admit each season starts off very boggy, but picks up.

Pullman is painful to watch but all of the seasons were decent.

There was some discussion upthread. I made it through it, but the show started falling apart a little bit in the middle. The ending was somewhat clever, if entirely fictional, but it's supposedly based on a true story. If I recall correctly, someone said something along the lines of it being a magazine article that got stretched out into an entire series and there just wasn't enough content to work from.
Oh yeah just finished ep 4 of 7 and its off the rails now lmao. First 3 weren't bad, but now its in eyeroll territory

On 1/26/2023 at 12:17 PM, Js1 said:

The Recruit is getting a second season

napoleon dynamite yes GIF

They really need to do a Mitch Rapp series based on the Vince Flynn books.  They messed up The American Assassin movie so bad a few years back though that it’s probably not happening anytime soon.  Great books though.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/4/2023 at 4:37 PM, bolverk said:

I've only watched the first episode but have already let out several guffaws. Hilarious mockumentary from the creator of Black Mirror.

Watched the first episode and it was pretty funny.  Reminds me of a series from a few years back - An Idiot Abroad.

• Hook 'Em 2

I enjoyed watching the documentary/film Pamela a Love Story. I was always curious about her growing up. Two decades ago she was bigger than life or than she could have imagined. She always, to me, came across as a sweet person. That comes across in her story. Effortlessly. What I didn't expect was the many journals she had saved from her earliest years through now. Like I said, I enjoyed seeing what she is like. Horrible taste in men but self-deprecating and poetic in the best sense. Also, tons of nudity. But its weird. You kinda just want to cover her up, give her a hug. I think she's only been happy with Tommy Lee. That comes across quite well. Its worth a watch. She seems like someone you wouldn't mind being your friend. 

On 2/4/2023 at 3:37 PM, bolverk said:

I've only watched the first episode but have already let out several guffaws. Hilarious mockumentary from the creator of Black Mirror.

I watched about 20 minutes and that's all it took for the jokes to get boring to me, which disappointed me because I wanted to enjoy it.  Guess you have to really enjoy the kind of humor.  Probably would've enjoyed it a lot more when I was much younger.

6 hours ago, Augustus said:

I watched about 20 minutes and that's all it took for the jokes to get boring to me, which disappointed me because I wanted to enjoy it.  Guess you have to really enjoy the kind of humor.  Probably would've enjoyed it a lot more when I was much younger.

Watched the first few episodes with my wife since we’re both into history. It’s decent. My wife said it reminds her of Borat during the interviews.

• Hook 'Em 1

Spent the afternoon watching both episodes of Bill Russell:Legend and highly recommend it.  Having grown up watching the Russell/Chamberlain rivalry, it was really well done blending historical footage/commentary of their games, interviews with stars from the 60's through today, and a remarkable telling of Russell's life off the court using his voice to address whatever he thought was right. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/29/2023 at 2:12 PM, Macanudo said:

Reveal hidden contents

Season 3 is worse. There's a lot of strident walking while talking on cell phones and private jets taking off and landing. I'm not ex-military, but their action sequences are a joke: guys walking in the middle of the road as they approach a target; guys yelling at each other in the same situation even though they have mics and earpieces; the shooting sequences in general are just phoned in.

I watch it at night when I can't sleep. I'll probably finish it, but it's really boiler plate Russians are going to use a nuke to start a world war. Yawn.

• Like 1