Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 2/7/2023 at 8:43 PM, Nicole44 said:

I enjoyed watching the documentary/film Pamela a Love Story. ...

years ago I helped stage a screening of Pelada in Houston, directed by Ryan White, who was at the time fresh out of college and made it to town for the show.  I've really enjoyed seeing his career arc over the years.  He's done a bunch of really solid documentaries since then.  /csb

• Hook 'Em 1

Mentioned this in the “Movies I just watched thread”.

The Stranger on Netflix (not the series). This is Australian crime - dark, creepy, intense. Based on the true story around the “Mr Big” undercover operation to catch Daniel Morcombe’s abductor. Really enjoyed this.

On 2/9/2023 at 7:28 PM, pch said:

Spent the afternoon watching both episodes of Bill Russell:Legend and highly recommend it.  Having grown up watching the Russell/Chamberlain rivalry, it was really well done blending historical footage/commentary of their games, interviews with stars from the 60's through today, and a remarkable telling of Russell's life off the court using his voice to address whatever he thought was right. 

I need to boost this.  I just watched it and have to say how well it was done.  Not only from his NBA side, but the work he did for civil rights.  I was impressed by his writing, both books and newspaper articles.    He was a well rounded, courageous man.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/11/2023 at 1:24 PM, Hornbeliever said:

Wanted to like Lupin since I'm a sucker for intelligent thief shows (and CIA type shows).  It was completely meh.

Did you watch Le Bureau? I've heard netflix is making a knock-off US version.

I know Fauda has its own thread. Been avoiding it to avoid any spoilers. But the newest season is pretty damn good.

If I recall correctly Season 1 of Lupin was pretty good but S2 was odd.

On 2/2/2023 at 5:04 PM, Hook1997 said:

They really need to do a Mitch Rapp series based on the Vince Flynn books.  They messed up The American Assassin movie so bad a few years back though that it’s probably not happening anytime soon.  Great books though.  

really am hoping that the military/thriller books get some kind of push now that Terminal List/James Reece has his show and Gray Man/Court Gentry are getting shows and/or movies.

I know not everyone likes Reese books, but I do. Also not that it matters anymore but Gray Man/Court Gentry is a way better series that is ripe for adaptation without focusing too much on the military part. Mark Greaney is a BEAST - dude basically writes 2 books a year, every year for the last like 10 years. probably my favorite series out there right now.

I still can't believe they decided to start off with American Assassin. initially they were going to go with Consent to Kill, which would have been a significantly better first choice.

idk why he quit writing them, but The Camel Club by Baldacci would make a great limited series.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 11:26 AM, RomaVicta said:

Season 3 is worse. There's a lot of strident walking while talking on cell phones and private jets taking off and landing. I'm not ex-military, but their action sequences are a joke: guys walking in the middle of the road as they approach a target; guys yelling at each other in the same situation even though they have mics and earpieces; the shooting sequences in general are just phoned in.

I watch it at night when I can't sleep. I'll probably finish it, but it's really boiler plate Russians are going to use a nuke to start a world war. Yawn.

there is *no* reason for shows to have shitty military action when there are so many former military guys out there working as consultants for exactly that. it's lazy.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Chopper said:

Did you watch Le Bureau? I've heard netflix is making a knock-off US version.

I know Fauda has its own thread. Been avoiding it to avoid any spoilers. But the newest season is pretty damn good.

If I recall correctly Season 1 of Lupin was pretty good but S2 was odd.

I hadn't even heard of Le Bureau so will have to watch a trailer or something.

Lupin season 1 was ok but still battled through it and Season 2.  Show could have been one season long and covered everything and would have been better, IMO.

20 hours ago, 'stache said:

Cunk on Earth is hilarious, right up my alley. 

We usually enjoy British shows and comedy in particular, but we didn't make it through the first episode with this one. We knew what it was going in but for whatever reason, the night we were watching it wasn't bringing the laughs.

There is a quick show of about an hour regarding film cliches that we saw earlier this week. It's hosted by Rob Lowe, and if you ignore him and his script, it's actually not too bad. Not a glowing review, but it covered a lot of films over the decades. The section about how the Hays Code (which led to what we now have as a content rating system) was begun was interesting. Can't recall the title but it might have been in the documentary section.

12 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

I hadn't even heard of Le Bureau so will have to watch a trailer or something.

Probably the best ever spy drama tv series. I also mentioned it because I gather you don't mind subtitles or French language shows. 5 seasons but not on Netflix. And actually I was wrong about netflix licensing it to make a US version -- it's Showtime, which is being folded into Paramount+ -- and will star G Clooney. Watch it before Hollywood screws it up - that's my rec.

18 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

Crazy how insecure and worried about his future Koepka was. These guys have the same worries all of us do.

that part has surprised me the most. He always played like the biggest swinging dick out there and now its just gone? 

i mean for us hackers, sure. But this guy?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bullzak said:

that part has surprised me the most. He always played like the biggest swinging dick out there and now its just gone? 

i mean for us hackers, sure. But this guy?

He gives me the vibe of that guy who killed his wife and kids in Colorado.

• Haha 1

New season of You, or at least the first half. It's a completely different show now. Joe went from killing innocent women to protector of innocents, an antihero kind of like Dexter. It's pretty good and the new setting in London is a nice change of pace.

48 minutes ago, ajax said:

New season of You, or at least the first half. It's a completely different show now. Joe went from killing innocent women to protector of innocents, an antihero kind of like Dexter. It's pretty good and the new setting in London is a nice change of pace.

Never got into this show but saw that S5 features the lovely and funny Charlotte Ritchie.

Charlotte-Ritchie-Hot-Pics.jpg

PSA

Who happens to star in BBC's show Ghosts which is incredibly funny and thoughtful and much better than the rubbish CBS spinoff. It feels like Derry Girls and The Detectorists. 3 seasons on HBO if you're interested.

Posted in it's own thread, but I want to share the pain:

After years of speculation from fans, David Fincher has said, again, that his Netflix series Mindhunter is definitely not getting a third season.
https://www.ign.com/articles/david-fincher-mindhunter-season-3-not-happening-netflix
That's a bummer as that series was awesome.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Docuseries called Bad Sport is interesting.  First episode was on the ASU basketball point shaving incident.  The second episode was on Randy Lanier, drug trafficker and race car drive. All are narrated by the people involved.  It was put out in 2021 so it might already have been covered on here 

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I wonder if Brooks gets tired of horny kids saying “dude, where’s Jena?” That was epic.

I want to be Scottie Scheffler.

CSB. Jena is a family friend and have hung with her and brooks before. They really are regular people with just a fuck ton of money lol

• Like 1