Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 2/24/2023 at 11:28 AM, Hollywood said:

My friend's movie just dropped... should be fun for the whole family (7+)

I clipped your post for length, but for anyone who doesn't want to go back a page the title is "We Have A Ghost" and we saw it last night. We enjoyed it quite a bit. Some unexpected laughs including the *line:

"I want to come back as a fierce ghost and haunt Ted Cruz."   Brilliant.

Liked the two 'teens' Kevin and Joy (played by Jahi Di'Allo Winston and Isabella Russo). Winston did good work playing a character that viewers (IMO) don't always get to see much on screen: the bright, insecure, 'nerdy' black teen. Regardless of race, teens like this usually get (searching for a good word here) written over the top: extra 'nerdy' with exaggerated emotions but this character was not that way at all and Winston did well with it and it warmed my heart to see a character like Kevin be the lead. His female counterpart, Joy,  was a lot more typical (more over the top) in that respect, but it would've been hard to have two quiet introspective teens in a comedy/adventure like that for plot purposes I suspect. Plus her character had a great sense of humor that you see with a lot of teens but is underappreciated.

Thumbs up from us.

*Am going from memory but I think that was the wording.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

It's not you Mrs. Wiggins. My rage has once again gotten the better of me. I'm just sorry my kids had to see me like this. 

I'm truly sorry if I spoiled Recon (something): Caprini Massacre for you.

Edit: damn.  Joke wasted because wrong thread.  Never mind.

Edited by bernorange

Anyone seen Traitors yet?  Looks like it’s a BBC production. Has Arnold Rothstein from Boardwalk Empire. 

may give it a shot. 

If you’re talking about The Traitors the game show it’s on Peacock. We binged the US season then just finished Australian version. About to start the UK version. It’s simple entertainment. A great exercise in witch hunting.

14 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

If you’re talking about The Traitors the game show it’s on Peacock. We binged the US season then just finished Australian version. About to start the UK version. It’s simple entertainment. A great exercise in witch hunting.

No I was taking about the English period drama set at the end of WWII. Subject is spycraft by the OSS in England and the beginnings of the Cold War. The lead actress looks like a taller, thinner Haylee from Modern Family.

I bit the bullet and binged today to help me through my COVID quarantine. It was decent. Not fantastic but worth a watch.  

Edited by DDD Dad

anybody watch Chris Rock's live special tonight? pretty funny, he's still got it 👍

was def a buildup to the last 10 mins and finally talking about Will and Jada and the Oscars. he's been holding that in for a year - as he got rolling on it you could really see/feel the emotional toll and pain the whole episode has caused him coming out. good for him letting it out some - he said nothing that everybody watching wasn't nodding to. except Jada 😄

• Hook 'Em 3

21 hours ago, mchookem said:

anybody watch Chris Rock's live special tonight? pretty funny, he's still got it 👍

was def a buildup to the last 10 mins and finally talking about Will and Jada and the Oscars. he's been holding that in for a year - as he got rolling on it you could really see/feel the emotional toll and pain the whole episode has caused him coming out. good for him letting it out some - he said nothing that everybody watching wasn't nodding to. except Jada 😄

The Kardashian bit was alright

18 hours ago, George said:

I enjoyed it. Thought it was pretty cool to see how he recovered after fucking up that joke about Concussion and kind of slipping back into the story correctly so they can edit it out. 

They didn't edit it out. Watched it last night and it was still in 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/26/2022 at 1:06 PM, Chopper said:

Just binge-watched Anatomy of a Scandal. I didn't expect to even like it but the acting (Sienna Miller, Rupert Friend, Michelle Dockery) was excellent and though I have a couple knits to pick, the script was very good. Based on the description I thought it was going to be a run-of-the-mill politician has an affair story but it was much more. Some excellent good cross-exam in the court room scenes too.

Coming to this late, but this show was pretty damn good.  I pretty much love Michelle Dockery.  English courtroom drama.  Nice.

Also explores the subtleties of rape/consent, prior bad acts as proof of commission of the offense, and some other stuff.

David E. Kelley has a pretty magical touch, it seems, when it comes to anything legal.

• Hook 'Em 2

Watched the Bling Ring documentary.  Not terribly surprising, but a huge expose of vapidity and superficiality and fucked up people.

What is a little surprising in the last episode is how some people got caught up in the celebsturbation in the prosecution phase of it.

MH 370 - About Disappeared Malaysian Flight 370

Thoughts 

Spoiler

I was excited about this one because the story is fascinating. This documentary is so dumb. They have two journalists bloggers talking about dumb conspiracies theories with zero evidence. For example, the lady looked over the cargo list and saw radio/communications equipment. It was supposedly delivered by armed guard. No evidence provided at the armed guard part. She then makes a giant ass leap and says we all know China wants to get its hands of US communication technology. So without any evidence of what the cargo actually contained, she says the US possibly shot down the plane. Right…

• Like 2

On 1/4/2023 at 3:09 PM, Macanudo said:

I thought White Noise sucked.   I didn't like any of the characters.  Jack and Babette were not compelling characters to me.  At least not the way they were used.

On 1/4/2023 at 11:10 AM, KaiserSoze said:

I loved it. I hadn't seen the trailer and didn't know what it was about beyond the 2-sentence summary so I don't know if that aspect affected my enjoyment (no expectations going in).

There's a whole lot going on and a lot of laughs. After getting into the swing of it I felt similarly as when watching Everything Everywhere All at Once- just roll with it and enjoy the ride w/out worrying about what's next or where it is going.

There's a lot of creativity and artistry to appreciate in this one.

Reveal hidden contents

For example, I thought the Elvis lecture sequence was outstanding, especially when tying in the upcoming disaster.

It's a lot of fun, but I can see how it wouldn't be for everybody. 

On 1/2/2023 at 4:32 PM, TexTexTex said:

Watched White Noise and it's far too strange for me.  Best parts were in the trailer.

Finally got around to this one.

Once upon a time this was my favorite novel and so, as something beloved like a favorite piece of written work, I was equal parts intrigued and scared how they would translate it to a movie, knowing it as I did.

Good news is that for the most part it wasn’t bad and mostly worked!

White Noise was a product of the culture and time— think of like a more post-modern or 80’s Kurt Vonnegut, and very much a heavy critique of that time. Think: Thomas Pynchon and Philip Roth and even a Thomas Wolfe and Tim Robbins 80’d thing— and the rest of the 80’s trend of critiquing American exceptionalism in consumerism.

White Noise was one of those awesome books whose artistry and brilliance was largely rooted in the artistry of what was written. The prose and structure of the words as it was based heavily on dialogue that is snappy and smart and funny and fast. Those are hard movies to make (think: A Confederacy of Dunces and Blood Meridian which, like White Noise, have lingered in development hell in Hollywood and which is why McCarthy wrote NCFOM differently with a movie treatment in mind, allegedly). Overall, I think the dialogue was translated well mostly in the movie and Adam Driver completely nails the role— as best as anyone could at least. I was super Impressed with him as an actor.

@Pam Cummings — I think the problem you had with the college thing was simply not enjoying satire: the satire of education and college which was obviously laid on very thick.

White Noise was the grandfather of Chuck Pahlanik (sp?) books; so if you enjoyed those books and films, you might see the roots there and think a good comp for Fight Club was probably pitched as a “White Noise for the late 90’s”

Watched Outlast which is a team based survivor show set in Alaska. Last team standing wins a million, but you have to be on a team. You can switch teams but cannot go it alone.  Nice concept but ...

Spoiler

One team ruined it by going Lord of the Flies and sneaking into other camps and stealing their sleeping bags and destroying shit.  They justified this by noting there are no rules prohibiting it so it was ok.  Were I one of the teams they fucked over, my last act before tapping out would have been to walk into their camp and set everything on fire.  But I'm a vindictive asshole.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/13/2023 at 3:48 PM, Not a cat said:

Watched Outlast which is a team based survivor show set in Alaska. Last team standing wins a million, but you have to be on a team. You can switch teams but cannot go it alone.  Nice concept but ...

Hide contents

One team ruined it by going Lord of the Flies and sneaking into other camps and stealing their sleeping bags and destroying shit.  They justified this by noting there are no rules prohibiting it so it was ok.  Were I one of the teams they fucked over, my last act before tapping out would have been to walk into their camp and set everything on fire.  But I'm a vindictive asshole.

Producers screwed this up big time. Should have never let it go as far as it did.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Producers screwed this up big time. Should have never let it go as far as it did.  

I loved the righteous indignation the 2 chicks had when the guy they had ...

Spoiler

When the guy they had been tormenting with the express purpose of making him quit so they could scavenge his supplies, instead burned it all before he left so they got nothing.  They used this retroactively as justification for being so mean to him in the first place, completely missing any cause and effect of their behavior.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/16/2023 at 7:05 PM, BearSchlong said:

Obligatory - on that PH doc, should I just skip to right before the end?

I was going to ask if a documentary film crew--and interviewer and cameraman--show up at an unsuspecting lady's home, followed by some stilted acting and a jazz sountrack.

13 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

The Sting (1973)

Pretty good; is there a story why @henrygandorf spells his eponymous handle incorrectly? The subtitles say Gondorff.

the subject gets revisited every 3-5 years i would guess. 

i have a script of the movie (i have about 300 in storage) which spells it gondorf with one f.  at one point, on aol instant messenger, i either tried or had that handle, then i lost my password and had to reset my account, so i became henrygandorf, which is around the time (1999?) when i started it on whatever hornfans was back then. 

been gandorf ever since which i prefer because of google search.  so yeah, there's a story.  wouldn't call it a classic anecdote.

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the subject gets revisited every 3-5 years i would guess. 

i have a script of the movie (i have about 300 in storage) which spells it gondorf with one f.  at one point, on aol instant messenger, i either tried or had that handle, then i lost my password and had to reset my account, so i became henrygandorf, which is around the time (1999?) when i started it on whatever hornfans was back then. 

been gandorf ever since which i prefer because of google search.  so yeah, there's a story.  wouldn't call it a classic anecdote.

Word. 

So why did you choose this movie as something that was your chief identity during your transformative years? What pricked the nerve? I ask because the movie was good, not great, (but maybe great for the time it was made, I don't know), and the characters were just okay IMO.

3 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Word. 

So why did you choose this movie as something that was your chief identity during your transformative years? What pricked the nerve? I ask because the movie was good, not great, (but maybe great for the time it was made, I don't know), and the characters were just okay IMO.

it's my favorite movie and newman and redford are two of my favorite actors. 

chief identity is a little strong.  among fellow horns maybe.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

it's my favorite movie and newman and redford are two of my favorite actors. 

chief identity is a little strong.  among fellow horns maybe.

During the pandemic, The kids (college age) and I would watch old movies.  The Sting was the first one we watched and easily my kids favorite.