Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

4 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

What are some others you enjoyed? *Gets pad and pencil out*

watch Lonesome Dove. it's a six hour mini series starring robert duvall, tommy lee jones, anjelica huston, danny glover, and more. i mean obviously steve buscemi is in it, that goes without saying. seriously though, my 7th grade Texas History teacher did an entire unit on LD, and i can't count how many times i've watched it since. it's my all time favorite piece of film/tv/movies.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

watch Lonesome Dove. it's a six hour mini series starring robert duvall, tommy lee jones, anjelica huston, danny glover, and more. i mean obviously steve buscemi is in it, that goes without saying. seriously though, my 7th grade Texas History teacher did an entire unit on LD, and i can't count how many times i've watched it since. it's my all time favorite piece of film/tv/movies.

It's on netflix currently? I actually own the book and meant to read it but never have.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

i tried to get into this once but couldn't. can you post a couple of your favorite sketches?

Not asking me but I agree with him so here are a few of mine. I love almost all of them though but it’s a specific brand of humor. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

it's my favorite movie and newman and redford are two of my favorite actors. 
chief identity is a little strong.  among fellow horns maybe.

Was this before or after that ridiculous sidekick phone or whatever it was you had that you loved to chat on?

On 3/20/2023 at 8:29 PM, shadow_operative said:

This was one of them.  

We watched about 10-15 or so.   The other ones that stick out were Fandango, Seven, Butch and Sundance, Godfathers, Usual Suspects, and The Bingo Long Travelling All-Stars and Motor Kings.  I'd never heard of Bingo Long, but read an article about it and saw the start studded cast and we watched it.  It was okay.  

@HamsterHookah where are we with this?

I don't know about yall but I don't think sniper guy over exaggerated anything throughout this whole doc one bit.

He definitely gave off the uncle rico vibe with all the “no doubt in my mind , I coulda ended the whole thing by pulling the trigger” braggadocio.

And my recollection of the chronology must be slipping. Were the feds really oblivious to the child abuse allegations until somebody gave them a copy of the Australian television segment on the Davidians after the standoff had already begun?

Even after 30 years the FBI and ATF guys, except for a couple of the negotiators, all keep doubling down on how they did nothing wrong. Morons.

Finished the halfway mark.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

you liking it so far? augustus mccrae is my all time favorite character from any piece of fiction if any kind. 

I've even heard of otherwise very manly guys that

Spoiler

actually cried when they read that Gus died.  Of course, I'd never do something like that, but others possibly might have.

And do I really need to spoiler a 40 year old book?

Even after 30 years the FBI and ATF guys, except for a couple of the negotiators, all keep doubling down on how they did nothing wrong. Morons.

Yeah honestly anyone involved can never change their stance.

Those that have come after know that there was a huge divide created between fbi and atf after Waco. I still hear it from time to time from my older FBI SAs, anytime we have some shit come up internally the old timers will lay into that shit pretty quick.

We’ve even had some shit get pretty charged up when someone starts talking shit between the 2 agencies.

On 3/25/2023 at 7:10 PM, shadow_operative said:

you liking it so far? augustus mccrae is my all time favorite character from any piece of fiction if any kind. 

Without getting too much into it, until I finish the series, it's really good and entertaining. If all the Taylor Sheridan Western stuff is half as entertaining that seems to have taken the world by storm (yellowstone, 1883, etc.) then I can see what the buzz is about.

The thing I can't help shake, however, is how much better the book has to be. There are a lot of scenes and situations that don't feel all the way fleshed out and don't hit the homerun that I think the show thinks it does-- a quick few examples off the top of my head: Gus leaves the bar and has that scene with the barkeep, the brutalization of Lorene seemed really glossed over, the scene down at the creek where Gus cries about Clara, and even the hanging of Jake (and Jake's character journey as a whole). I have to imagine the book does a greater job of developing all these for maximum emotional impact (and I've heard as much about the book which is why it's been on a shelf to read for years).

I reckon I'll never get around to reading it, so this is as good a fascimile as any. There I go talking like Gus now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Without getting too much into it, until I finish the series, it's really good and entertaining. If all the Taylor Sheridan Western stuff is half as entertaining that seems to have taken the world by storm (yellowstone, 1883, etc.) then I can see what the buzz is about.

The thing I can't help shake, however, is how much better the book has to be. There are a lot of scenes and situations that don't feel all the way fleshed out and don't hit the homerun that I think the show thinks it does-- a quick few examples off the top of my head: Gus leaves the bar and has that scene with the barkeep, the brutalization of Lorene seemed really glossed over, the scene down at the creek where Gus cries about Clara, and even the hanging of Jake (and Jake's character journey as a whole). I have to imagine the book does a greater job of developing all these for maximum emotional impact (and I've heard as much about the book which is why it's been on a shelf to read for years).

I reckon I'll never get around to reading it, so this is as good a fascimile as any. There I go talking like Gus now.

@shadow_operative

Thanks for the recommendation. Just finished the series.

It was very entertaining and fun. It was definitely good television. It was a bit maudlin and soapy at times, but very entertaining.

I'm not sure I have too much to add from watching the last 1/3, except that it was good seeing Call get a little growth from being the straightest of the straight man.

All in all, the series felt like the ole saying, "trying to stuff 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lb bag".

The best analogy would be Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

The book, like Lonesome Dove, is 1000+ pages, full of rich character, plot, subtext and emotion and very descriptive. The movie tries to cram all that in to a limited viewing window. It's good, but not great, and skims the surface so as to come off a bit soapy in servicing all the emotional pay-offs, of which there are more than a few (like LD).

Anyways, thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1

Just started night agent.

Am I the only one who can't finish The Defeated? Can't make it past the 2nd episode every time I try to start the series.

I enjoyed the hell out of that. Gets pretty damn dark at times. Which is maybe why I liked it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HamsterHookah said:

@shadow_operative

Thanks for the recommendation. Just finished the series.

It was very entertaining and fun. It was definitely good television. It was a bit maudlin and soapy at times, but very entertaining.

I'm not sure I have too much to add from watching the last 1/3, except that it was good seeing Call get a little growth from being the straightest of the straight man.

All in all, the series felt like the ole saying, "trying to stuff 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lb bag".

The best analogy would be Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

The book, like Lonesome Dove, is 1000+ pages, full of rich character, plot, subtext and emotion and very descriptive. The movie tries to cram all that in to a limited viewing window. It's good, but not great, and skims the surface so as to come off a bit soapy in servicing all the emotional pay-offs, of which there are more than a few (like LD).

Anyways, thanks for the recommendation.

Last thing, Derka, upon reading the wikipedia after finishing it, it appears the author himself lamented how "GWTW" it came off as:

McMurtry himself eventually expressed dissatisfaction with the popularity of the novel, particularly after the miniseries adaptation. In the preface to the 2000 edition, he wrote: "It's hard to go wrong if one writes at length about the Old West, still the phantom leg of the American psyche. I thought I had written about a harsh time and some pretty harsh people, but to the public at large, I had produced something nearer to an idealization; instead of a poor man's Inferno, filled with violence, faithlessness and betrayal, I had actually delivered a kind of Gone With The Wind of the West, a turnabout I'll be mulling over for a long, long time."[9]

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Last thing, Derka, upon reading the wikipedia after finishing it, it appears the author himself lamented how "GWTW" it came off as:

McMurtry himself eventually expressed dissatisfaction with the popularity of the novel, particularly after the miniseries adaptation. In the preface to the 2000 edition, he wrote: "It's hard to go wrong if one writes at length about the Old West, still the phantom leg of the American psyche. I thought I had written about a harsh time and some pretty harsh people, but to the public at large, I had produced something nearer to an idealization; instead of a poor man's Inferno, filled with violence, faithlessness and betrayal, I had actually delivered a kind of Gone With The Wind of the West, a turnabout I'll be mulling over for a long, long time."[9]

McMurtry never understood the love for it.  

My favorite book and imo on the short list of the greatest American novels ever written.

He got the name Lonesome Dove from a church bus he saw. Lonesome Dove Baptist Church.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

The Netflix Waco documentary is kinda meh. If you want your mind blown and really wanna see how bad the atf and fbi lied watch “Waco: The rules of engagement”. Hands down the best documentary on Waco.

Rules of engagement is propagandist BS. It’s no better than anything slanted against the davidians

7 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Yeah, but Cormac McMurtry redeemed himself with No Country for Oil and There Will be Old Men, or whatever they were (never read the books, just watched the movies).

• Haha 5

On 3/26/2023 at 9:24 PM, Helobious said:

Finished Waco series. It’s nuts how psychotic/stupid the surviving branch davidians still are. I guess they had to be to be influenced by Koresh to begin with

There's a few Heaven's Gate nuts still floating around and they've kept their website going/frozen in time. https://www.heavensgate.com Major Applewhite was apparently distantly related to the head nutter.

I'm afraid to look on that website about why they castrated themselves, but maybe the VHS tapes they sell could provide the answers.

Unfortunately there's probably more than a few cults out there that are still reeling in the mentally ill and we may not hear about them until shit goes down (Q/Qanon did it publicly, but they turned out to be more about grifting than some kind of apocalyptic bullshit).

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, but Cormac McMurtry redeemed himself with No Country for Oil and There Will be Old Men, or whatever they were (never read the books, just watched the movies).

Definitely saw some influence and similarities and wondered if it was just the Tommy Lee Jones or otherwise.

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

There's a few Heaven's Gate nuts still floating around and they've kept their website going/frozen in time. https://www.heavensgate.com Major Applewhite was apparently distantly related to the head nutter.

Marshall Applewhite in the vying for most famous graduate of Austin College.  Up there with Ron Kirk 

Finished Waco series. It’s nuts how psychotic/stupid the surviving branch davidians still are. I guess they had to be to be influenced by Koresh to begin with

I’d like a series checking up on Davidian, people’s temple, heavens gate, etc survivors. They are all fucking nuts. Have them all in a season of Big Brother all locked in for a while.

On 3/28/2023 at 12:43 AM, atomheartbevo said:

I'm afraid to look on that website about why they castrated themselves, but maybe the VHS tapes they sell could provide the answers.

Unfortunately there's probably more than a few cults out there that are still reeling in the mentally ill and we may not hear about them until shit goes down (Q/Qanon did it publicly, but they turned out to be more about grifting than some kind of apocalyptic bullshit).

Despite having the same surname, they are not related. At least that's what Google search told me.

There’s no doubt there are hundreds of these cults and mini cults out there, luring in those vulnerable to whatever message they are spewing. Might be weird new age religion, might be weird offshoots of established religions, political cults from antifas, proud boys, eco terrorists, anarchists, Wobblies. Now we see LBGT militias. Black separatists. They are out there and might be shopping at your HEB or camped out far off the grid. Lots of scary folks out there. The spectrum is not linear but a 360 kaleidoscope of crazy.

If I were to set one up it would be based on giving me your money but staying silent. Give me your money. Learn the manifesto. Shut the fuck up. Go the fuck away. Amen.

Am I the only one who can't finish The Defeated? Can't make it past the 2nd episode every time I try to start the series.

I watched all but the last episode. I honestly don’t know if I liked it. I feel like there’s a much better 2:30 hour movie in there than what we got in the 10 hours.

There’s no doubt there are hundreds of these cults and mini cults out there, luring in those vulnerable to whatever message they are spewing. Might be weird new age religion, might be weird offshoots of established religions, political cults from antifas, proud boys, eco terrorists, anarchists, Wobblies. Now we see LBGT militias. Black separatists. They are out there and might be shopping at your HEB or camped out far off the grid. Lots of scary folks out there. The spectrum is not linear but a 360 kaleidoscope of crazy.

If I were to set one up it would be based on giving me your money but staying silent. Give me your money. Learn the manifesto. Shut the fuck up. Go the fuck away. Amen.

You’re missing the main point of being a cult leader - that the cult leader gets to bang all the wimmins. I always figured that was the main selling point.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tbone_ said:

You’re missing the main point of being a cult leader - that the cult leader gets to bang all the wimmins. I always figured that was the main selling point.

Keith Raniere and the NXIVM cult being the latest iteration.  At least he didn't kill himself like that pussy Koresh.  Serving 120 years in the federal pen.