Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Spoiler tags would be a nice start.

I'm talking about when a show drops and someone comes in here on the same day and immediately starts talking about the ending. 

Can we talk about what happens in Gone with the Wind?   Or too soon?

The Sting is a fucking great movie.  The poker game scene on the train is an all-timer.
I'm in the middle of watching Outlast.  At first I was disappointed that there wasn't more focus on the techniques the teams were using to survive (e.g., building shelter, finding food, etc.) such a shitty environment in which to be outdoors for an extended period of time.  Instead, the focus is more on the intra-team dynamics and the dealings between the various teams.  The more I watch, though, the more I'm getting into it, in large part because I'm curious to see what the next act of backstabbing fuckery will be and by whom. 
Watched The Sting a few months ago. This was so good. It was intense for me at the end and a great ending.

14 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

The Blockbuster killer is dead. Long live the Blockbuster killer.

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Looked forward to those Red DVD envelopes awhile back...

Dang

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

If you dropped off your DVD before 8am at the 6th & Guadalupe post office, Netflix used the same post office so it would be received by them the same day and your next DVD went out that day also. Binged 24 and Alias using that quick turnaround.

An estimated 1.1 million–1.3 million people subscribed to the DVD service last year in 2022, generating $145.7 million in revenue for Netflix (not the worst biz).

The first DVD Netflix ever sent was Beetlejuice in 1998.

The most frequently requested DVD was The Blind Side.

22 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

If you dropped off your DVD before 8am at the 6th & Guadalupe post office, Netflix used the same post office so it would be received by them the same day and your next DVD went out that day also. Binged 24 and Alias using that quick turnaround.

That's how I streamed many a show.  I was an early Netflix adopter because the Blockbusters and other video stores near me were shit.  Then with Netflix, I could watch any movie or show I wanted and just remember to mail it in.  I was one the 3 DVD's at a time and then 5 for a while.  As long as I timed everything right, I always had everything just in time.

Alias was an early show, too.

On 4/18/2023 at 9:31 PM, CooterBrown said:

I binged the first 2-3 seasons of Breaking Bad this way. It was awesome, i would knock out all 3 episodes in one setting and immediately send it back. That wait for the next DVD seemed so long.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/1/2023 at 10:00 AM, Goredho said:

Cunk on Earth is the funniest shit I’ve seen in some time.  It’s a British mockumentary about the history of human civilization, complete with interviews of professors and historians who are not necessarily in on the joke, like this one.

Took this rec and I am dying

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 1:36 AM, kingkoopa6 said:

Beef episode 9 is holy shyt 

this show got hella badass at 7 tho

its all wild… 

I’d watch it all again just cuz  

they was actin actin on that finale 

Just finished Beef.  It's fucking great, highly recommend.  Hope to see more from all these actors/producers...

• Hook 'Em 3

I powered through The Diplomat.   Keri Russell is great. It’s got a weird tone because it’s a super serious/intense subject matter but it’s like they got one of the ancillary writers on In The Loop to punch up the script a bit because there is like this sardonic and whimsical feel to a lot of the dialogue. 

Rufus Sewell is fantastic.   He wasted his whole career playing self-serious villains.  The dude has fucking great comedic timing. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I powered through The Diplomat.   Keri Russell is great. It’s got a weird tone because it’s a super serious/intense subject matter but it’s like they got one of the ancillary writers on In The Loop to punch up the script a bit because there is like this sardonic and whimsical feel to a lot of the dialogue. 

Rufus Sewell is fantastic.   He wasted his whole career playing self-serious villains.  The dude has fucking great comedic timing. 

It’s like a Sorkin show melted with Veep a little bit. I liked it 

13 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I had this philosophy for quite a long time. And I’m not arguing, but at nearly the double nickel, I can honestly say I can do without the fucked up just fine from here on out.

True.  Put myself in the icu 3 times.  Some chill and boring works after 40.  

• Like 1

Longest Third Date is cute, easy watch.

Couple goes to Costa Rica on their third date and gets stuck there when the world shuts down due to Rona.

We enjoyed it too. Just stumbled onto it and we watched it. Khali Le is so hot in her little bikinis. You gotta wonder how it would have been for them if either had lost their jobs.

Kerri Russel’s hair on The Diplomat is just god awful. Greasy with this terrible shape that looks like she is about to sing an acoustic set at Lilith Fair…..

That’s the point, except it was funny when you in one scene it’s a once a week washed look and then the next it’s been blown out. My wife was pointing that out to me everytime.

To which I will say it’s funny because I can point to a few former federal prosecutors that fit the same type of person. Wore the same 3-5 work suits, hair always like they didn’t give a shit, car was always like it needed a car wash even if they just came from a car wash…. But 2 of them would stand toe to toe with the worst drug traffickers while in La Picota, they went hard in trial prep and trial even when credible threat were made on us.

2 of them are now in DC steady moving up the chain.

We are enjoying this show.

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

That’s the point, except it was funny when you in one scene it’s a once a week washed look and then the next it’s been blown out. My wife was pointing that out to me everytime.

To which I will say it’s funny because I can point to a few former federal prosecutors that fit the same type of person. Wore the same 3-5 work suits, hair always like they didn’t give a shit, car was always like it needed a car wash even if they just came from a car wash…. But 2 of them would stand toe to toe with the worst drug traffickers while in La Picota, they went hard in trial prep and trial even when credible threat were made on us.

Great series.  I ended up finishing it in three days.  I lost it in the scene when she comes back from DC hung over and her assistant just comes in and sets a hairbrush on her desk.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Yeah it was a great show.  Better get a season 2

Also want to give high marks for Beef. Sometimes funny, sometimes sad, sometimes  fucked up. I’ve recommended it to a few friends. Amy and Isaac’s characters are so well done. I need to keep this show in mind when I feel like I’m getting pissed off about something trivial.

On the flip side, The Night Agent was terrible. Netflix has made a couple of spy shows like The Recruit and Gray Man that weren’t bad. The Night Agent was just plain bad. The story and acting were awful, I’m surprised I finished it.

Going to Try Florida Man next.

6 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Really liked The Diplomat.   Finished with quite a bang, didn't it?

Easy now. Have watched the first four and absolutely love it.  Serious West Wing vibes (duh, The Diplomat show runner/EP also worked on West Wing).  And Keri Russell, greasy hair or not, would get it.

Also want to give high marks for Beef. Sometimes funny, sometimes sad, sometimes  fucked up. I’ve recommended it to a few friends. Amy and Isaac’s characters are so well done. I need to keep this show in mind when I feel like I’m getting pissed off about something trivial.

On the flip side, The Night Agent was terrible. Netflix has made a couple of spy shows like The Recruit and Gray Man that weren’t bad. The Night Agent was just plain bad. The story and acting were awful, I’m surprised I finished it.
Going to Try Florida Man next.

I didn’t finish it. Didn’t finish Florida Man either.

Kerri Russel’s hair on The Diplomat is just god awful. Greasy with this terrible shape that looks like she is about to sing an acoustic set at Lilith Fair…..

I only wAtched the first episode and not sure if I will continue but the first thing I said to the g/f when she came in screen was “you would think she would at least wash her hair for this show”