Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

Missing: Dead or Alive. Watched the first episode and this is like a bunch of Facebook Moms decided to get in to law enforcement.
Watched the whole series yesterday. Entertaining enough I guess, but also kind of cheesy with all the women story time shit.

23 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I saw where they cast J. Lo as a retired government assassin or some shit in a new movie on Netflix? That casting seems as bad as Tom Cruise playing 6'5" Jack Reacher.

I see J. Lo as a lot of things, stone cold special forces government killer is not one of them.

I watched that last night with my dog.  The dog fell asleep, but I powered through it.  Don't waste your time.  It's a stupid fucking movie with terrible acting.  J Lo acts like she's never been in a movie before, and it doesn't even have the redeeming value of seeing her tits or ass.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Watching Babylon Berlin. Hands down one of the best Netflix shows of all time. Holy smokes! 

5 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You watching it dubbed or with subtitles?  Was wondering how the voiceover is.

Loved this show.  Subtitles FTW

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Subtitles is where it's at.  The dubbing didn't look too good to me but it might be because I speak German fluently.

I don’t speak German. I watched the first episode both ways and the original language was far superior. 

The original language is always superior. Plus, I'm ADD, so my mind has a difficult time isolating the sound from the TV when there is other background noise, like the AC coming on behind the wall behind the couch, so I generally run with subtitles all the time. The dubbed versions rarely match the subtitles, which makes trying to pay attention while my mind is trying to reconcile the differences between them extra tough.

On 4/27/2023 at 9:51 AM, RomaVicta said:

I'm big on the Koreans and have been for awhile. Stranger is very good. So is The GloryThe King's Affection is not. 

I also am enjoying the K drama series.  The differences in cultures are appealing and refreshing to me.   It's a nice break.   The storylines are well constructed with several different sub stories interwoven.   I can't really speak too much to the writing, since it's all translated subtitles, but it works to move the story along.  Though it can sometimes move so quickly I have to rewind to catch everything they said in that clip.   The other downside is its hard to catch all the nuances on the shot when you are reading the subtitle.   So I do have to stop now and then to review something.  

I'd rank the ones I have seen so far as:

1)Hotel De Luna

2)My Mister

3)The Glory

Stranger is next on the list.  Right after Beef.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

The differences in cultures are appealing and refreshing to me. 

Yes. Further, the Koreans in their best movies and series are examining their own culture critically. Their zombie fiction is fresh because of this. All of Us Are Dead and Train to Busan drew me in even thought I thought I was completely zombied out. There's another one where a young man and woman are stranded in apartments that face across a road or courtyard that was solid as well.

I'm obsessed with Bai Doona in Stranger. The second season is proving to be a slog.

On 5/22/2023 at 9:07 AM, RomaVicta said:

There's another one where a young man and woman are stranded in apartments that face across a road or courtyard that was solid as well.

That was "Alive".   It was a pretty decent zombie movie.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/24/2021 at 4:00 PM, TonyTexas said:

You would probably enjoy River Runner then. It’s about a guy who kayaks 4 ridiculously dangerous rivers in Tibet. 

Finally got to watching River Runner.  Very enjoyable.  Far-off, wild, back country Asia is quite an impressive and intriguing place.  Those four rivers are so remote, powerful and intimidating.

Hate to tell you, surfer dudes and 100 Foot Wave fans, the kayakers are crazier and pursuing a seemingly more dangerous endeavor.

FUBAR with Arnold dropped yesterday.  I watched the first three episodes.  It's not good.  The premise is okay, and there are some mildly amusing moments. However, the episode plots are terrible, and the writing seems like it was all done after the strike and was contracted out to a middle school creative writing class.  I'll go ahead and finish it, though, because I like Arnold even if he does bang the help.

I have watched a good bit of the various K dramas on Netflix.  Stranger was the most challenging series and 2nd place is not in the same ballpark.  The plot is great.  The characters are multi dimensional with some good and some bad so it retains some mystery.  But the real challenge is remembering all the Korean names for the huge cast.  Seems like every episode I was struggling to remember who folks are talking about in the show.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/26/2023 at 10:28 PM, bernorange said:

I have watched a good bit of the various K dramas on Netflix.  Stranger was the most challenging series and 2nd place is not in the same ballpark.  The plot is great.  The characters are multi dimensional with some good and some bad so it retains some mystery.  But the real challenge is remembering all the Korean names for the huge cast.  Seems like every episode I was struggling to remember who folks are talking about in the show.  

The second season is even more difficult without nearly the return on effort. Too many irons in the fire and now you have to remember names of people you seldom see. I'll slog for what I like about it, but if this were the first season, I wouldn't finish it.

On 5/26/2023 at 11:49 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

FUBAR with Arnold dropped yesterday.  I watched the first three episodes.  It's not good.  The premise is okay, and there are some mildly amusing moments. However, the episode plots are terrible, and the writing seems like it was all done after the strike and was contracted out to a middle school creative writing class.  I'll go ahead and finish it, though, because I like Arnold even if he does bang the help.

Watching it now. Definitely cheesy but some chuckles here and there. I do enjoy Monica Barbaro though!

Pay it forward had me dying when the lady behind him backed up and started ordering 55 burgers and 55 fries.

Halfway through but this is my favorite so far. Killed me when that happened.

This show is hit or miss but its’ hits are about as good as it gets.

Part of the problem with ITYSL is that it seems incredibly stupid but there are actually a million little jokes happening at any one time. It has to marinate for a second and like a lot of other things that are funny in that way, it gets better with repeat viewings. And a new season comes out, it's particularly hard to compare it to the old season if you loved the previous season and have watched it 15 times.

Small example of the repeat viewing thing - in the "Summer Loving" opening credits there are several shots where Tim is on the zipline in the background.  From season 1 I thought that "Baby of the Year" was very meh on first viewing but now it's one of my favorite from the whole series.

My wife loves stupid TV shows and movies that are mostly targeted towards a YA audience. Think CW. Vampire Chronicles/Diaries/whatever, she loved the Divergent series. Anyways, so I watch more of that kind of shit than I should which is my preamble to explain why I watched "Missing" and relating that it is actually a fun movie. Stars Bella's girlfriend from The Last of Us (who I think has been in a bunch of stuff). Reminds me a bit of 2016's "Nerve" (another movie not really intended for middle aged men) in that a lot (most even) of the movie takes place on the protagonists' computer screen as she tries to solve the mystery. We still have twenty minutes left so I'm not sure exactly how it wraps up, but this could be a fun one for movie night with a teen daughter (who can handle a bit of scary/death as well as some teen drinking) or even is enjoyable enough without any pretext.

• Hook 'Em 2

So my wife tells me she read about this series called Sanctuary on Netflix about Sumo Wrestlers.  I thought she meant it was documentary.  We click on it.  Holy fuck.  It was not a documentary.  It was dubbed over.  

Scene 1 - new wrestler getting his ass kicked in training.  

Scene 2 - all the wrestlers are eating and obviously the established wrestlers are getting more than the new guys. 

Scene 3 - the boss comes in and tells two of the new guys to come with him.  Then the two new guys are standing out in the hall and you can hear boss taking a shit.  Then the door opens and boss is standing up on this wood shelf,  squatting over the "toilet" with his ass facing the camera and instructs one of the new guys to wipe him.  Then he comments about how large his shit was and that it wouldn't flush so the other new guy would need to break it up first.  

Thats as far as we made it....

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

Part of the problem with ITYSL is that it seems incredibly stupid but there are actually a million little jokes happening at any one time. It has to marinate for a second and like a lot of other things that are funny in that way, it gets better with repeat viewings. And a new season comes out, it's particularly hard to compare it to the old season if you loved the previous season and have watched it 15 times.

Small example of the repeat viewing thing - in the "Summer Loving" opening credits there are several shots where Tim is on the zipline in the background.  From season 1 I thought that "Baby of the Year" was very meh on first viewing but now it's one of my favorite from the whole series.

Exactly this. The Tables sketch is f'ing great because at first you're just focusing on this woman losing her shit over tables and it makes no sense. Or the teens throwing out possible job titles. Then on rewatch it's Tim's obvious pain that he knows the questions are about to start coming at him because he's shown this video so many times before. You can see the dread on his face. Plus it's the perfect stupid videos that we all had to watch in driver's ed. 

Maybe Helobious doesn't get it because he used to be a piece of shit who liked sloppy steaks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Zany sketch comedy is never going to work for everyone, and even the best versions have a lot of flops mixed in with the good stuff.  Think about Mr. Show, the best example I can think of.  There are lots of sketches and even episodes that I can do without, and for someone who is less into that kind of comedy, the hit to miss ration is even lower.

I enjoyed a lot of the sketches in the first season, but I had no idea how much some of the bits would stick with me.  Even ones I didn't laugh at originally, I would just randomly think of them later.  Like the guy who had all the leftover props from his failed mobster movie that he was trying to insert into the baby shower planning.  I think I watched it once, then like 6 months later thought about it out of the blue and laughed out loud at the thought of it.   

It's not something I can explain, if it doesn't land for you, it just doesn't.  It's kind of pointless to try and convince someone a thing is funny when it may not even be that funny on the day it is watched.  

On 6/2/2023 at 10:16 AM, mdmost said:

Maybe Helobious doesn't get it because he used to be a piece of shit who liked sloppy steaks. 

I get it, I just don’t think it’s funny. All his sketches are low-brow and predictable and hindered by the fact that he’s a bad actor.

The only sketch I liked was the one where he’s at a party and tells the lie about the babysitter being in a hit and run.