Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

That seems like a lot of generations in just a little over 100 years.

Agreed on Babylon Berlin though. Very good performances.

Lotte also has a little part (topless too) in Counterpart on STARZ. You might want to check that out before you go back to your bunk.

On 4/8/2018 at 9:56 PM, Ebeye said:

Altered Carbon is a great book if you like that sort of thing (I do), and the show was a fair representation.  I enjoyed it, but, as with any book nerd, I wished it was closer to the text.  It was never going to be though.  It was close enough to keep my interest throughout.  I'm curious if a second season gets the go ahead and how they handle it.  Obviously easy to get a new full cast with the nature of the tech, but I wonder if they will take it to Sanction IV from Broken Angels or if they jump straight to the third book.  

I burned through this series pretty quickly.  I enjoyed it, for the most part.  I was not aware of the book prior to watching.  However, I happened to be reading some William Gibson short stories, and knew that this was supposed to be "cyberpunk" as well.  I've put a "hold' on the e-book from the library, look forward to checking it out.  

On 7/12/2018 at 5:02 PM, Mileslong said:

Yes it was very good and I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. If you like ripper street, penny dreadful and the like you will like it

I thought Penny Dreadful was great, and an unexpected tear jerker at times.  The obvious love letter to the great poets of the Romantic Age was great.

Spoiler

That said, I was disappointed in the abrupt turn of character for Vanessa Ives.  I don't mind that the series ended with her death, that seemed appropriate.  I just thought that the Miss Ives we had been with for three seasons wouldn't have just surrendered to Dracula, even under the guise of "surrendering to who I am."   She was too much of a fighter. I know some of it was set up with the burning of the cross and what not (although that felt abrupt as well, in hindsight).  I just think it could have worked with the same type of sacrificial death without her giving it up to Dracula first. 

I pretty much agree with that regarding Penny. I didn’t watch it for a long time because I thought it would be just another gory, horror show. Horror is not my favorite genre but it was much more than that.

Penny Dreadful and The Frankenstein Chronicles were two of the biggest pleasant surprises ever in my TV viewing...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

El Chapo new season is great. Im no gringo and understand spanish. Its really suprising as it doesnt seem typical cheap univision shit.
This season is going thru his captures.
Got buddies that do the subtitles and sauy its okay.
I actually have to leave them on to catch certain words I dont get.

Is the entire series done in that horrible voice-over? It was way too distracting for me. 

8 hours ago, Mileslong said:

I pretty much agree with that regarding Penny. I didn’t watch it for a long time because I thought it would be just another gory, horror show. Horror is not my favorite genre but it was much more than that.

Penny Dreadful and The Frankenstein Chronicles were two of the biggest pleasant surprises ever in my TV viewing...

Penny Dreadful was great.  We watched it on its first run on Showtime (I think that's where it was).  Pretty sure we had a lengthy thread on it at that other place that is fecally infested.

As much as I enjoyed the overall narrative, the best episode of the entire series to me was the almost standalone episode involving the cut wife out in the heathland.  I think it was called "The Nightcomers" and it was in season 2.

• Like 1

Just watched Extinction based on the positive reviews in this thread. I was highly skeptical due to low ratings on RT/Metacritic and the fact that most Netflix original movies are hot garbage, but I actually enjoyed it for the most part.

Once the twist was revealed, I found it hard to root for Michael Pena and his family. I basically wanted the humans to kick their asses, so the “happy” ending was rather frustrating to me.

Also not sure why the humans had alien costumes, other than to deceive the viewer long enough to have a twist.

But yeah, still thought it was decent despite those issues.

9 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Just watched Extinction based on the positive reviews in this thread. I was highly skeptical due to low ratings on RT/Metacritic and the fact that most Netflix original movies are hot garbage, but I actually enjoyed it for the most part.

Hide contents

Once the twist was revealed, I found it hard to root for Michael Pena and his family. I basically wanted the humans to kick their asses, so the “happy” ending was rather frustrating to me.

Also not sure why the humans had alien costumes, other than to deceive the viewer long enough to have a twist.

But yeah, still thought it was decent despite those issues.

Yeah, I get what you mean about the alien costumes.  But the dude said they were on Mars so long, they had no idea if the synths would poison the atmosphere to prevent humans from retaking Earth, so they had to prepare their gear for that. Hence the look.

Edited by Js1

I abandoned Extinction though I saw the twist.

I recommended El Chapo and I like hearing the Spanish and reading the English. Same with the excellent Money Heist (Casa del Papel). I've been trying to expand my tiny abilities in that language. 

Oh, also, The Fauda actresses are terrific. I love the Spanish actresses in Money Heist, too. I'm enjoying the exotic women of other cultures.

Edited by RomaVicta

Just finished 'The Staircase'. 

Episodes leading up the the end of the first trail were absolutely eye-opening about the American legal system.   The scene where the defense attorney brings in a pro to help Peterson appear to be telling the truth really drove home the theatrical nature of a trial.

DA could have spent the entire trial pointing at the photos of the murder scene and won.   Because the defense's argument was so laughably implausible --- His wife fell down three steps and had the back of her head ripped apart with blood splatter all over the walls?  THREE STAIRS.  And she kept slipping around, hammering her own head against the walls.   Seriously, that was their argument.   She fell down 3 stairs, kept slipping around, repeatedly bashing her head against the walls, spray blood all over the place, until she bled out.  While he sat outside by the pool.  That's what they asked the jury to believe.       

DA guessing at the murder weapon was dumb.    Last 7-8 episodes of listening to Peterson lie and act indignant (and himself) was not worth watching.   I'd recommend fast forwarding to the conclusion, unless you want to watch defense lawyers try to find technical mistakes in procedure. (and one of his daughters act incredulous about the grieving family)

Edited by Monster

Checked out "Fauda" after seeing the recommendations.   

Opening scene, muslim terrorist in a mosque.  Thought...not this again, I hope.  Checked out the summary, to see if there was a twist or fresh take on the 'muslims are terrorists' genre.

"Israeli agent comes out of retirement to hunt down Palestinian militant....blah blah blah".

Same  shtick I've been watching for the last 20 years.   Is there a twist or something that will keep me reading subtitles for 12 episodes?  I've seen the 'muslim dirty bomb' premise so many times, it feels less like a story and more like brainwashing.  

Edited by Monster
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Young Guns FTW.

When your group of regulators has Charlie Sheen as the smart and stable one, well, I want in.

Navaho!

Damn I loved that movie. It was so ridiculously stupid yet bad ass at the same time. 

Edited by immortal13

40 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Navaho!

Damn I loved that movie. It was so ridiculously stupid yet bad ass at the same time. 

Lou Diamond Phillips - flour bluff, Texas - UT Arlington.

I am not afraid of dying chevato.

Checked out "Fauda" after seeing the recommendations.   
Opening scene, muslim terrorist in a mosque.  Thought...not this again, I hope.  Checked out the summary, to see if there was a twist or fresh take on the 'muslims are terrorists' genre.
"Israeli agent comes out of retirement to hunt down Palestinian militant....blah blah blah".
Same  shtick I've been watching for the last 20 years.   Is there a twist or something that will keep me reading subtitles for 12 episodes?  I've seen the 'muslim dirty bomb' premise so many times, it feels less like a story and more like brainwashing.  

Put it on mute then and look at the bitches
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 10:10 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

CSB- My dad had that movie on a VHS tape labeled “Accounting Made Easy.”

Ahhh, growing up in the 80s. My father also had Insatiable. And Taboo, etc.

Note to parents: children will find everything. They go through all of your shit when you aren't there. You can't keep anything in the house hidden.

55 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Ahhh, growing up in the 80s. My father also had Insatiable. And Taboo, etc.

Note to parents: children will find everything. They go through all of your shit when you aren't there. You can't keep anything in the house hidden.

exactly, like the time my best friend and I from elementary school found my dads condoms in the back of his dresser drawer.  my mother came home and went into shock seeing the two of us having a water balloon fight with the biggest water balloons you've ever seen in the front yard...

QB1 - Docu-series following Jake Fromm, Tate Martell and Tayvon Bowers their senior year of HS. Jake is a great kid, Tate is the punk you'd imagine. Towards the end of the season Tim Beck makes a cameo on a recruiting visit to Tate.

QB1 - Docu-series following Jake Fromm, Tate Martell and Tayvon Bowers their senior year of HS. Jake is a great kid, Tate is the punk you'd imagine. Towards the end of the season Tim Beck makes a cameo on a recruiting visit to Tate.

I saw it when it was on go90.
Fromm seems like a cool dude.
Bowers seemed good too.
Tater is an ubber douche as evryone already knew.
But hes kinda my hero how he trolled aggy