Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

I’m not labeling him a nut bag. He’s not spouting ancient alien stuff. He is challenging archeology orthodoxy that refuses to look beyond its hardline dogma. That stone highway in Bimini is obviously not a natural formation. The site in Java is older than shit. It may be nuts but I’m planning on researching it.

5 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’m not labeling him a nut bag. He’s not spouting ancient alien stuff. He is challenging archeology orthodoxy that refuses to look beyond its hardline dogma. That stone highway in Bimini is obviously not a natural formation. The site in Java is older than shit. It may be nuts but I’m planning on researching it.

I asked my former archaeology professor about it, and holy shit did he have things to say.  I may post the email later, but the gist of it was that this guy has in the past (and maybe in this new show on Netflix) been acting like there's a massive archaeology coverup of ancient civilizations.  He mentioned that this guy has pushed theories or people promoting this stuff in places and times where ancient humans were doing good to just survive from year-to-year either because of the climate (extreme cold or drought) or place (lack of consistent food sources), let alone create some awesome civilization.

Summarizing my prof: Any archaeologist who discovered definitive proof of some advanced civilization that far back would be shouting from the rooftops about it once they had others come in and verify the work, and whatever organization they were associated with would be sending press released out to the world, because it would be an amazing fundraising gift.  But this guy points at places where the archaeological record is extremely lacking if at all present, and he gives a platform to idiots to spout off about things they know nothing about, and they take short cuts and make leaps of faith in any so-called research they present.

My prof was also pissed because there are in fact old civilizations that were really fucking amazing, like the Mississippians and other mound-building groups, that were trading over vast distances (stuff from the Rockies would end up being down in Oklahoma or the southeastern US, the Ohio Valley), that had complex societies and rituals, and they get ignored all the time in favor of the idiots spouting off about cover-ups and aliens and shit.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 plus years ago I heard him on a podcast and thought he was interesting.  I geek out on ancient history.  I even read one of his books and about halfway through it dawned on me that his whole shtick is "hey it could be" he has no burden of proof.

Now if you're telling me there's a lot we don't know about our past I believe it but Hancock isn't the guy to steer that conversation IMO.

He fires an arrow and then draws a bullseye around wherever it lands.  

It's a good gig if you can get it 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

5 plus years ago I heard him on a podcast and thought he was interesting.  I geek out on ancient history.  I even read one of his books and about halfway through it dawned on me that his whole shtick is "hey it could be" he has no burden of proof.

Yeah, that was what pissed off my ex-prof and looking around, it pisses off all of the legit archaeologists. They are more than willing to acknowledge that something is really old, but if they aren't finding middens, artifacts in general, etc., they aren't willing to make those leaps of faith that he is.

And the thing is, a decent site generates a shit-ton of artifacts, and he does not seem to understand that.

As an example - the Gault site here just outside of Austin, has generated over 600,000 lithic/Clovis-related artifacts

https://www.gaultschool.org/research/research-gault

• Hook 'Em 3

On 11/21/2022 at 3:52 PM, henrygandorf said:

re: the pepsi show...

Hide contents

i thought it was fine.  documentaries are tough when they don't have a compelling ending, which i felt this one did not.  it was kinda oh well, maybe i should've taken that money, but the real riches are the friendships you make along the way lol.

as for pepsi - those guys were smug corporate pricks and definitely were trying to watch their words 25 years later to make it sound like they were on the "right side" - they were not on the right side.  they fucked up, it wasn't the first time, and they got away with it, and i'm sure have done the same since.  fuck pepsi anyway, not sure how anyone can't tell the difference.  #cokeforlife

that said, one of my least favorite parts (or recurring lines of dialogue) was from john's team "look, we got the points, we want the jet, that's the deal".  you didn't "get the points".  you didn't run around all crazy, collect points, figure out the best way to buy/store/drink/sell pepsi (which would've all been awesome tv).  the idea was "drink pepsi - get stuff".  he didn't drink pepsi or even buy pepsi.  he didn't really follow the rules or "spirit" of the contest.  he found a loophole (buying points).  good for him and fuck pepsi, a loophole is still a hole and he should've gotten the jet or a legit settlement in place of it. 

but the way they said it kinda misrepresented their efforts.  he figured it out and he happened to know a rich guy with an awesome attitude.  if he had done all that other shit and actually collected the points, spent $4mm on pepsi, figured out a way to offload it to mom and pop stores for cost, done the work for months and months, i would feel for him a little more.  he figured out where they were sloppy, he tried to exploit it, he could've had a million bucks for it, but "he wanted the jet" which was also kinda silly.

it was an ok way to spend 2 hours.  not sure why it was multi-part.  the stuff in the phillipines looked like way more compelling subject matter.

the pepsi guy who kinda looks like bill maher is the most smug looking person i've ever seen in my life. 

On 11/19/2022 at 9:41 AM, Js1 said:

Halfway through 1899 

image.gif.6155d10aaa64c00b7cdb823a71dc922d.gif

I was really hoping thus was going to be good, given my experience with DARK. Not the case.

All of the moving in and out of the portals was pointless and not even worth keeping track of, unlike DARK, where the cave portal stuff was critically important to the story line and much more connected to the character development and overall architecture.

Started a rewatch of DARK last night to cleanse the pallet.

I started The Witcher and am about 3 episodes in.   Does it get better or should I cut my losses now?   Cavill is ok but a bit wooden (which may be the point of his character) but so far I'm underwhelmed. 

His “hmmmph fuck!” Was a bit of a meme by the end of S1 but it picked up steam.

S2 was pretty dang solid.

S3 will be Cavill’s last as Liam Hemsworth will take over his role in S4

On 11/27/2022 at 2:06 PM, Macanudo said:

I started The Witcher and am about 3 episodes in.   Does it get better or should I cut my losses now?   Cavill is ok but a bit wooden (which may be the point of his character) but so far I'm underwhelmed. 

Stick with it. 

Thought about starting 1899 but I'll wait for a few more reviews 

On 11/22/2022 at 8:52 PM, Post Oak said:

Now if you're telling me there's a lot we don't know about our past I believe it but Hancock isn't the guy to steer that conversation IMO.

He fires an arrow and then draws a bullseye around wherever it lands.  

It's a good gig if you can get it 

If you geek out on ancient history, this Dutch lady is right up your alley.  She’s got a rebuttal of episode one up.   A bit dry/academic-ish, but solid.  You can listen to her in the background or as a podcast and won’t miss much (it’s mostly her talking).

One of the biggest things that irritates her about the show is the lack of peer reviews with the “experts” that Hancock brings in - they just throw shit out there and won’t publish their work, and another is that he plays with dates in such a way that’s confusing to viewers (he keeps jumping around with ice age dates).

Her channel has a lot of interesting stuff if you are into prehistoric stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you geek out on ancient history, this Dutch lady is right up your alley.  She’s got a rebuttal of episode one up.   A bit dry/academic-ish, but solid.  You can listen to her in the background or as a podcast and won’t miss much (it’s mostly her talking).

One of the biggest things that irritates her about the show is the lack of peer reviews with the “experts” that Hancock brings in - they just throw shit out there and won’t publish their work, and another is that he plays with dates in such a way that’s confusing to viewers (he keeps jumping around with ice age dates).

Her channel has a lot of interesting stuff if you are into prehistoric stuff.

Thanks.will do

Drops next week. Six episodes and it looks like they’re going to spill some tea.

I think I may take Friday off.

And then Harry’s book - “Spare” (fucking fire title, btw) - drops in January.

Petulant King Charles starting his reign with a bang lol.

Get their asses and drag them, Duke and Duchess!

giphy.gif

On 10/10/2022 at 9:35 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Mr. Harrigan's Phone. Very light on the horror but very good on the story. 

Donald Sutherland is fantastic as well as Jaeden Martell (who was great in Metal Lords if you need another recommendation).

Oh shit, forgot about Mr. Harrigan's Phone.  That's one of the best King stories to come out in years.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/30/2022 at 9:33 PM, Bevo&Pevo said:

The Texas Killing Fields docuseries is pretty good.  I'd recommend it.

I’ve watched numerous documentaries about the Texas killing fields, and none of them are any good. Please tell me this is better than “we found a couple bodies so there’s probably hundreds in here and we have no idea who did it” 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I’ve watched numerous documentaries about the Texas killing fields, and none of them are any good. Please tell me this is better than “we found a couple bodies so there’s probably hundreds in here and we have no idea who did it” 

It's better. There is some resolution. 

• Hook 'Em 1