Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

I actually wanted to circle back around and give The Good Place a bit more love/a more detailed review.  It's create by Michael Schur, who worked on The Office (and portrayed Mose), and co-created Parks and Rec.  Kristen Bell is a trashy chick who in a case of mistaken identity got sent to "The Good Place" (heaven) upon dying (in a reality where going to The Good Place or The Bad Place is based on the accumulated merit of all your actions on Earth and most people go to The Bad Place.  Ted Danson is the hapless.... angel who is in charge of her "town" in The Good Place.  Obviously entirely different premise than a The Office or Parks and Rec, but it's... on a similar level in whatever way, and is really pretty good and funny so far.  I hadn't even heard of it, watched it because I had finished a rewatch of Parks and Rec and it popped up.  I think there is going to be a third season at some point.

Also, Shameless I know has been discussed before - it's been going for a long time and sometimes gets tiresome (I wouldn't want to binge watch the whole thing) but it's still good in whatever season they're up to on Netflix now.

5 hours ago, nycHorn said:

I finished Dark about a week ago. Pretty good. Don’t watch with the English dubbing on. It just make everything seem so cheap.

Now I’m on to Babylon Berlin. Also good.

Talking with a Dutch friend, apparently the acting on that show is really bad and it's just hard for Americans to tell.

Just watched the new docu-series "Evil Genius".  Four episodes and very well done.  I like this new direction from Netflix of doing 4-5 hour series on obscure but weird and interesting true crime stories.

Edited by Bama Chick

10 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Just watched the new docu-series "Evil Genius".  Four episodes and very well done.  I like this new direction from Netflix of doing 4-5 hour series on obscure but weird and interesting true crime stories.

Watched the first tow last night and thought they were great.

Evil Genius was great, I binged it this morning. I remembered the collar bomb bank robbery, but I wasn’t aware of everything after.

It amazing how many of these bizarre stories are out there.

I enjoyed this as well. Not the most surprising outcome, but the layers were interesting.

just started evil genius, i remember reading the wiki article on this a long time ago and thought it was reminiscent of one of the Saw movies. pretty interesting to see it visually now having been familiar with it. people are fucking weird. 

On 3/27/2018 at 8:27 PM, longhorndude said:

Godless was pretty kick sass if you like violent westerns.  

I concur.  My expectations were low, and it is no Deadwood, but pretty good. 

On 3/28/2018 at 7:18 PM, PatSolitanojr said:

Altered Carbon was a pretty fun watch as well. Very cyberpunk. 

I liked it a lot more than I thought.  I had low expectations because the main actor was in The Killing and I didn't buy him as a great actor.  But the show was good. 

On 3/29/2018 at 11:55 PM, Mojo Hand said:

Daredevil, JJ, and Punisher. 

This is the correct answer.  Luke Cage wasn't far behind.  The iron fist was awful and the defenders wasn't much better.  

On 4/2/2018 at 9:30 PM, RCRanger03 said:

I'll let you know if it picks up any steam a few episodes.

Anyone here watch the Will Smith netflix movie "Bright"?  It looked like it could be complete shit or really fun...

Bright was not good.  I'm a fan of alien nation (the original TV series) and a fan of will smith movies which to me are usually very funny.  This movie never got me on board.  

On 5/11/2018 at 11:13 PM, Bama Chick said:

I am two episodes in. I think I will see that bomb footage in my sleep. Crazy story.

Peaky Blinders is still Awesome.  The guy who played scarecrow leads a post WWI gang to the top of the crime world.  

Longmire.  Present day western.  

Mindhunter. FBI learns that serial killers are a different breed. It grows more interesting as the season moves along and ends strong. 

Frontier was a pass. Aquaman actor takes on the trading companies in the new world.   Didn't make it through the first season.

Ozark.  Jason Bateman does his best Heisenberg as a strait laced investor starts laundering money for a mexican cartel in the hillbilly land of the ozarks.  

The Killing was an AMC series and is on netflix.  Kind of a frustrating watch, but it has its moments.  

Read a lot of the Netflix posts on Shaggy, but not all so it was probably mentioned, but damn Spotless is a good series on netflix. Just came across it scrolling through recently and thought I'd give it a shot. It's great. 
Also agree with the above mentioned show Episodes. Under the radar and funny as hell. 
Thanks. Episodes is really pretty funny so far. Some really, really big laughs

On 5/12/2018 at 12:40 PM, Dark Horse said:

Evil Genius was great, I binged it this morning. I remembered the collar bomb bank robbery, but I wasn’t aware of everything after.

It amazing how many of these bizarre stories are out there.

watched this the past week.

for the life of me, I can't remember any of that shit except the initial collar bomb incident.  it wasn't that long ago, seems like I should recall those news stories.

On 5/24/2018 at 7:39 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Evil Genius is outstanding. Thanks for the rec's. Very well produced.

For all the effort that went into making the scavenger maze and devices, the heist plan was terrible. How did they think that they would be able to get the money from Wells? There were cops on him from the get go. It’s funny to think they would have only received whatever amount was in the register if it somehow worked out.

When I saw Shooter the movie, I thought to myself they could not have chosen a worse actor to play the role of the shooter.

The series on Netflix currently two seasons in showed me there was a worse option. Ryan Phillips does not make me believe he could be Bob Lee Swagger.

On 5/23/2018 at 2:44 PM, bularry1 said:

watched this the past week.

for the life of me, I can't remember any of that shit except the initial collar bomb incident.  it wasn't that long ago, seems like I should recall those news stories.

I had the same though, why don't I remember this.  I think its because the summer of 2003 is when we invaded Iraq so I'm sure that was the lead story

On 5/24/2018 at 7:39 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Evil Genius is outstanding. Thanks for the rec's. Very well produced.

Awesome show.  Loved it and Wild Wild Country and Making A Murderer.  Any others in that genre or league or whatever that I need to watch?

31 minutes ago, llanoflash said:

so many choices... so confusing. 

gonna start godless or evil genius tonight.

altered carbon looks interesting too.

They truly fucked the consumer with the removal of the star rating system.  You could filter out all the garbage with some ease.  But they knew they were getting ready to create a shit-ton of content so they had to take it down or we would all know exactly what the world thinks of those shit Sandler Netflix movies and some of the awful comedians they get to do a special.

• Like 1