New workout shoes

My Under Armors are dying way too fast, and I need to do more than just follow the advice of the shoe guy at Sheels.

So what do I want?  I have supinated feet and want something that can do a little of everything.  Running on pavement, running on dirt, running bleachers.  And I don't wear socks.

Help a brother out.

I share your supination characteristics.     As you probably  know,  a supinator needs a soft, flexible shoe with no medial support.

I have success with the Nike Vomero (until the 12) and the Nike Pegasus.    The new Pegasus (35) felt sweet on a store try-on.   Brooks Ghost is another good shoe.    Since you prefer no socks, the Nike Free may be an option. 

That said,  if you are running in the UA without injury not always good to change.

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/CustService/contact-us.html

Give the folks at Running Warehouse a call or email for advice.   Great customer service.    Receive shoes in 2 days by UPS,   90 day free return policy.   Use code runblog10 or FB15D for 10% discount on most models,  especially their clearance section.

(You run bleachers ?   Damn, wish I still could)

• Hook 'Em 1

Running with a weight vest I prefer something with less cushion than the Vomero.  Free Trainer or some of the Metcon line (the core metcon is a little too stiff, but the Free Metcon or the Metcon DSX works).  Also good for HIIT and lifting.

• Like 1

The one and only pair of Under Armour shoes I bought where the worst shoes I've ever owned.  The material on the back of the heel was a tight fitting piece of rubber.  It went up the back of my heel too high and came to almost a point.  It was angled in towards my heel on top of it.  It's like someone designed it to give you blisters.  I've never seen anything like that in a running shoe.

On 7/18/2018 at 9:39 AM, dark54555 said:

Running with a weight vest I prefer something with less cushion than the Vomero.  Free Trainer or some of the Metcon line (the core metcon is a little too stiff, but the Free Metcon or the Metcon DSX works).  Also good for HIIT and lifting.

Agree with this 100%.  I wear this exact pair when lifting, rowing, and HIIT training.

https://www.baseballmonkey.com/catalog/product/view/id/332975?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI18CyqI6s3AIVBgtpCh0W5AixEAQYBCABEgIGZPD_BwE

• 8 months later...

Anyone doing minimal/barefoot/zero drop stuff?

I’ve used NB Minimus MT10v1 for a few years HIIT and lifting on a second pair that’s about dead. Not a heavy runner, but do run on occasion for a change of pace and like the barefoot ultralight feel. Occasionally lift in old pair of chucks.

Lots of options and brands out there. Should I just get the newer version of the MT10?

5 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

I’ve used NB Minimus MT10v1 for a few years HIIT and lifting on a second pair that’s about dead. Not a heavy runner, but do run on occasion for a change of pace and like the barefoot ultralight feel. Occasionally lift in old pair of chucks.

Lots of options and brands out there. Should I just get the newer version of the MT10?

i'm running in altra escalantes right now.  had the OG NB minimus and followed that up with merrell trail gloves.  the escalante is much more cushioned than either of those shoes was, so, while it's 0 drop, it's not minimal or barefoot (that's not to say they're heavy clod hoppers)

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 9:10 AM, Llano Estacado said:

I have one of the old original MT10 that I loved. For the past few years I’ve been using the Minimus 20 and have been very happy. 

My other workout shoes are Inov8 235. 

I’ve been happy with both for lifting, HIIT and some short light runs. I may be an outlier since I did my first half marathon in the old MT10s. 

2 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

imgur

You run in the 20s? Or just crosstrain/HIIT?

I’ve done short ¼-1 mile runs as part of workouts nothing for real distance. If you can run in MT10 I don’t think the 20s would be much different. They just have a bit of a slicker sole versus the trail sole on the 10s. 

Edited by Archer

On 3/21/2019 at 9:10 AM, Llano Estacado said:

I've been running in merrell trail gloves for a few years.  Fixed my knee pain.  I use  merrell bare access as my general walking  around or light activity shoes. I had a pair of new balance Minimus and quickly developed plantar fascitis.   Threw them out and it went away. Obviously everyone is different and Ymmv. 

• 3 years later...
On 3/24/2019 at 4:48 PM, elfenix said:

anyone have allbirds shoes?  thinking the tree kind is the way to go for texas but i want black upper and white soles, which is only available on the wool kind.

update: i bought some tree kind and the right one developed a hole right above my big toe in just a couple months where the knit spread apart.  should have bitched at them on twitter. 

On 10/26/2022 at 4:48 PM, Js1 said:

Putting my SUAVS in the ring.

Lightweight, comfortable, washable.  Breathable and sweat-wicking material.

I find they are pretty close to being barefoot and they are flexible. 

The soles look pretty thin...is there a lot of cushion?  

My Allbirds are also starting to develop a whole after about 10 months.

1 minute ago, PantsTent said:

The soles look pretty thin...is there a lot of cushion?  

My Allbirds are also starting to develop a whole after about 10 months.

I haven't had an issue with them - my trainer and the gym owner were discussing shoes and they both said mine were pretty good for working out. I actually have also worn them on hikes when I lived in Denver. I've had this pair about 4 or 5 years now - no holes, no worn down soles, no change in the grip. 

*Caveat that probably 60% of my workouts are in just my socks, except for machines and agility work

• Hook 'Em 1

i'm curious about the suavs. I need some lightweight comfortable sneakers, I'm over allbirds and my latest pair of seavees came from a new factory and they suck. Any notes on sizing, maybe comparable to.... Nikes or Vans?

They look like the older Nike flyknits, from a material perspective. Is that about right?

Edited by Celery Man

On 10/28/2022 at 7:36 PM, Celery Man said:

i'm curious about the suavs. I need some lightweight comfortable sneakers, I'm over allbirds and my latest pair of seavees came from a new factory and they suck. Any notes on sizing, maybe comparable to.... Nikes or Vans?

They look like the older Nike flyknits, from a material perspective. Is that about right?

No idea about the flyknits but they are comfortable AF.  Like rarely feels like I'm wearing anything at all on my feet.  

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...