Yes: Pools are worth it....

Pool shit I bought this weekend: bucket of tabs; bucket of granular; leaf rake pole attachment; mini leaf rake (for kids); two mini-basketballs (now we have three). Pool shit I did this weekend:  shock pool; refill chlorinator with tabs; clean out pump basket; clean filter cartridges; empty skimmers; change auto-cleaner leaf bag. Feel like I'm pretty set for the season. 

Worth it.

Bernard

39 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:

Anybody got a saltwater pool?

Had one in Houston. Never really produced enough chlorine during the heavy swim season to keep me satisfied, so I supplemented with bleach here and there. It was fine during the fall through spring. I'd imagine you'd have the same problem in Florida. 

Bullshitting with my buddy the other day.  Says his wife got in their spa about 5 times last year.   His heater went out, and he's delaying the replacement until he gets his tax refund. 

Every fucking day, he gets home from work and his wife is bitching about how she wants to use the spa.

10 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Bullshitting with my buddy the other day.  Says his wife got in their spa about 5 times last year.   His heater went out, and he's delaying the replacement until he gets his tax refund. 

Every fucking day, he gets home from work and his wife is bitching about how she wants to use the spa.

Never know what you had until you lose it I guess

58 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:

16 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Had one in Houston. Never really produced enough chlorine during the heavy swim season to keep me satisfied, so I supplemented with bleach here and there. It was fine during the fall through spring. I'd imagine you'd have the same problem in Florida. 

I have one now and I love it.  I don't have the chlorine issue.  The only real issue that I have is that the salt is slowly disintegrating my flagstone.  If i had it to do over again, I would choose a more sturdy flagstone.  

1 minute ago, Hate said:

I have one now and I love it.  I don't have the chlorine issue.  The only real issue that I have is that the salt is slowly disintegrating my flagstone.  If i had it to do over again, I would choose a more sturdy flagstone.  

We have a saltwater pool and the biggest problem we've had is that ducks keep trying to make it their home.

We had a salt water pool and loved it.  It was about a $1,000 or so investment but then it was carefree.  No issues with producing enough chlorine.  The only issue was the ever rising pH which is common with salt water chlorine generators.  I was adding about a quart of acid every couple of weeks. I had a Polaris pool vacuum and my pool was always clean.  So basically I would check the skimmers every few days and empty the Polaris bag once in a while and add a bit of acid and that was my pool maintenance.  Didn't need a pool service. 

The problem with the pucks is that the CYA keeps rising.  Unless you get a lot of rain you will need to drain some water occasionally.  I was a disciple of trouble freepools.com.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bernard said:

I don’t get the allure of a salt water pool. If I want that I’ll go to the beach. 

Bernard

I think you're joking, but it's not that level of salt at all

With today's chlorinaters, uv and ozinators is busy not that necessary to go salt anymore to keep away the chlorine smell 

8 hours ago, MrPhlegm said:

So if you're in Florida you will find saltwater pools more prevalent than here in Texas.  I even think Bay Area Pools, or it may be Pool Troopers now (a service company) will "lease" you a salt system as part of their maintenance contract.  

Flagstone coping is very common in Texas and not compatible with salt unless you're diligent in sealing the stone.  You can't really buy a "better" flagstone.  It's all relatively porous and salt's gonna erode it over time.  

Salt water here as well.  I don't get the angst about them as it's been very easy to take care of.  I have to supplement the chlorine levels a little in the heavy swim of summer, but with two boys and the neighborhood kids swimming hours every day the water needs a good cleansing every now and then.  Once the water gets up to about 80, I will swim laps 30 minutes in the morning and the exercise alone is worth the trouble.  And plus one on the hot tub/spa. 

16 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Keep the pool, dump the wife.

21 hours ago, uoftorange said:

I think you're joking, but it's not that level of salt at all

With today's chlorinaters, uv and ozinators is busy not that necessary to go salt anymore to keep away the chlorine smell 

Yes, the beach part was a bit of a joke. There is a difference though. I prefer fresh. Dropping a few tabs in the skimmer every now and then isn't much of a chore.

Bernard

On 3/26/2018 at 9:09 PM, Surly Bevo said:

Got a saltwater pool, dig it.  Sealed flagstone after 3 years...will stay on that plan.  

And yea adding acid and emptying baskets/Polaris is general maintenance, with the occasional backwash, occasional salt add and occasional other assorted odds and ends.

You seal the flagstone yourself or have someone do it ?

need to do mine but didn’t know how hard it was

Most are made by one of two manufacturers and then the retailer or builder buys them through distribution.  So its not like academy buying a truckload at a time.  Every company that buys marks them up.  If you get one online you can probably save some $ but make sure that the post, or posts, will fit into the anchor(s).  Most of the posts are 1.9"OD.

On 3/27/2018 at 9:16 AM, NoRagrets said:

My pool is filled with oak tassels and leaves. I'm sure the filter is nasty and my chemistry is all messed up now, too.

I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

I began the process tonight. Cleaned the cartridges and shocked the pool. Oak and Cedar Elm pollen clogs cartridge filters fast. Add rain and the pool is quickly becoming a frog pond.

Inlaws bought a house with a pool. We were just at their house (they haven’t moved in yet) and the pool was low. Gurgling noise. Water was coming down the spa wall. Does that mean a pump is running and they need to add water?

Why are pool basketball hoops so expensive ? I swear I could buy a real outdoor goal for the same price .
I put a cheap Academy in-ground hoop in (without one of the pole sections), but "bonding" it to the pool bonding system was a pain. The thing is rock solid though.

Grew up with a fresh water pool in texas, don't have one now, but am considering it for the next house. Is it better to buy a house with the pool installed or build it after you purchase?

Price wise already there is cheaper , you never get your money back spent on pool when you sell the house , it adds some value but not much.

Of course build it yourself and you get what you want , but have to deal with your backyard being a mess for months .
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Grew up with a fresh water pool in texas, don't have one now, but am considering it for the next house. Is it better to buy a house with the pool installed or build it after you purchase?

If you find the right house with the right pool, buy it.  If it isn't too old you're not likely to have many issues.  Have it inspected by a pool guy.  Not just the home inspector. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Poolflood said:

If you find the right house with the right pool, buy it.  If it isn't too old you're not likely to have many issues.  Have it inspected by a pool guy.  Not just the home inspector. 

Mother effin' this.  Except our pool inspector failed to mention our catch basin for the infinity edge being too small for the pool.  Looks like we'll be installing rainwater collection to avoid massive water bills.

iAhM5x.jpg

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 1