Yes: Pools are worth it....

Had a salt water pool for about 15 years. Only downside as far as I’m concerned is the salt water loves to eat away any porous stone that gets wet. Be careful with limestone trim, sandstone, etc. otherwise it was great.

Ours doesn’t seem to affect the stone, but it will eat metal (furniture, fence, gate). Previous owners but heavy ass metal patio furniture and left it, and it’s rusting away.

I'd love you barstool pool people to post a few more pics.  I'd love a pool with a shaded barstool area where I could sit in the water, drink heavily and watch football on a tv located on the dry side of the bar.

Thanks!

Edited by TeeDubya

Met with my pool builder yesterday to go over the design. The design has started out at 16 x 32 with a 12 x 6 Baja shelf. The look on this face when I asked if we could make the pool 20 x 40 was comical! He tried to tell me that was a huge pool? Not sure what size a typical pool is these days?

3 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

What’s a new pool cost these days?

We ended up at about $90k for our gunite including heat/cool, autofills, and high end lighting. It is 16x40 or 16x42, I don’t remember which at the moment. That does not include the $30k plus in travertine work we had done.

On 8/11/2021 at 7:26 PM, beer said:

Yea, the TV's eventually succomb to moisture but shit, they are do cheap just replace it. This is not the place for a 72 inch 4K.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, wood said:

Been thinking about a pool & really like the idea, but got-damn, they've gotten expensive af (covid), even compared to just a couple years ago.

Up around 20-25% this year.

23 hours ago, milkman said:

Met with my pool builder yesterday to go over the design. The design has started out at 16 x 32 with a 12 x 6 Baja shelf. The look on this face when I asked if we could make the pool 20 x 40 was comical! He tried to tell me that was a huge pool? Not sure what size a typical pool is these days?

120 perimeter pool is 20+% larger than average.

21 hours ago, tbone_ said:

A lot

21 hours ago, Brew said:

We ended up at about $90k for our gunite including heat/cool, autofills, and high end lighting. It is 16x40 or 16x42, I don’t remember which at the moment. That does not include the $30k plus in travertine work we had done.

14 hours ago, Quagmire said:

80-90 for a decent no frills pool. 2 years ago this was about 50-60k

Yup.

14 hours ago, htown85 said:

I need to replace my pool liner. Any contractors in Houston you guys suggest?

Nope

I find it the height of surly that posters were in order:

Beer

Wood 

Milkman

Tbone 

Brew and

Quagmire (perfect for pools)

But I'm old and easily amused. 

• Haha 2

Looks like we are joining the club. Houston area. 75k-ish, no frills really I don’t guess. About 10k of that is travertine.  Our estimates ranged from 60’s to 115k  But to be fair to the 115k guy, his first words were “we’re going to be the most expensive”.   We normalized the shit out of it and went with a guy who recently did a neighbors/friend with success.   Wish me luck. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Looks like we are joining the club. Houston area. 75k-ish, no frills really I don’t guess. About 10k of that is travertine.  Our estimates ranged from 60’s to 115k  But to be fair to the 115k guy, his first words were “we’re going to be the most expensive”.   We normalized the shit out of it and went with a guy who recently did a neighbors/friend with success.   Wish me luck. 

Luck!

• Hook 'Em 1

So ordered a new colorlogic light to replace the dead one, read the manual and looks like they should have put in a 14v transformer instead of the 12v. Ordered a new transformer as well.

It failed during the warranty period but my wife never called to have it replaced (pool was her deal). Even if they had come out, I’m sure they would have just replaced the light and I’d still have the issue.

It looks pretty straightforward to replace, have a bucket of pull string to use to facilitate pulling the new wire back, anyone have any suggestions or tips?

1 hour ago, Flg8rfan said:

So ordered a new colorlogic light to replace the dead one, read the manual and looks like they should have put in a 14v transformer instead of the 12v. Ordered a new transformer as well.

It failed during the warranty period but my wife never called to have it replaced (pool was her deal). Even if they had come out, I’m sure they would have just replaced the light and I’d still have the issue.

It looks pretty straightforward to replace, have a bucket of pull string to use to facilitate pulling the new wire back, anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Send that shit back and get covered under warranty.  And would only replace transformer if your going to a Hayward and you didn't have Hayward prior.

On 8/12/2021 at 12:41 AM, tbone_ said:

On 8/12/2021 at 7:29 AM, Quagmire said:

85k in Austin for 16x30, no spa, 3’-6’, a few hundred sqft of basic sundek decking. 

BTW, that looks great. I wrestled with the decision to go deep enough for a diving board but the added cost with the thicker walls and such was more than I could talk myself into paying. I’m guessing your at $115k if you’re near Austin. 

• Like 1

We didn't resurface, but we did Cooldeck on our new construction about 3 years ago.  I love it.  It does stay much cooler than other surfaces, is nonslip, and has stood up to derpy boys and a derpy dog.

I really wish we'd done it on the porches instead of stamped/stained concrete, and may see if I can get it overlaid on that one of these days.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BottleRocket said:

Anyone in Central Texas get their pool deck and patio resurfaced with a coolcoat or cool deck coating? Our pool was built about 20 years ago and the deck has a dated and painful exposed pebble aggregate finish. Looking for advice and recommendations. Thanks.

No input but following 

Geez. Glad ours was already in. PS thx for the tips above. Drain and refill went fine. Dumped the spa water into the pool. Shutoff the skimmers and let the backwash run out of the main drain. Took about 5 hours. Refill took about 13 hrs with two hoses running overnight. Can’t wait for the water bill.

On 8/13/2021 at 1:20 PM, Your Mom said:

85k in Austin for 16x30, no spa, 3’-6’, a few hundred sqft of basic sundek decking. 

BTW, that looks great. I wrestled with the decision to go deep enough for a diving board but the added cost with the thicker walls and such was more than I could talk myself into paying. I’m guessing your at $115k if you’re near Austin. 

We just got an estimate in SW Austin from a reputable company we've heard good things about. For about the same thing as yours, + a hot tub ... $99K. 

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LebongJames said:

That’s really low. With irrigation we use 15k gallons and without we use 5-7k gallons. 

Yeah, Not sure what the irrigation pulls per week.  It comes out before my water supply hits my Flo valve, so I'd have to find a bill for my total use last month.

I’m in Midland, so we get that “West Texas Premium” added to pretty much everything. Our bid is just under $150k

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Will prices ever come back down to what they were a couple years ago, or are straightforward residential pools going to be $100k+ forevermore?

My guess is if people are buying them at that price and they have back logs of work at those prices then they will likely stay there.

8 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

My guess is if people are buying them at that price and they have back logs of work at those prices then they will likely stay there.

We put out 15 RFQs or so and had at least 5 say they didn’t have the time to even come take a look. My little street is about ~40 houses.  We are going to be #7 on the street in last 9 months.  It is out of control in Houston.  

eta: specs are 14x36, 3.5-6’, 7x7 spa. One side has a wall with water feature in center.  There’s a sun shelf thing but don’t remember spec.  Was 55k.   Add in another 500ft2 of travertine and it went to 65k. Added saltwater and upgraded lights, and ended up at 70k.  Was offered an additional 5% off for cash payment so going to end up OK I think.  Still a shitload of $$$. Actually, aside from our pool being a bit shallower, the spa being offset, and the wall being longer, very close to what @BTW has drawn above.  

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/13/2021 at 1:20 PM, Your Mom said:

The depth is at least partly to keep it from boiling in the summer too

So, we've got a pool.  

Our really nice neighbors called the other day, midweek, and said that they had their grandchildren, they had promised to take them swimming, and something "came up".  Would it be OK if they came over and swam for a couple of hours.

They are good neighbors, so the answer was yes, of course. 

When they arrived, I got the real story.  They had borrowed a friend's timeshare over by legoland, and were going there for the kids to use the pools (there are two).  When they got there, they were notified that the larger pool was closed due to a "fecal contamination" issue that had just occurred...but hey, the smaller pool is still open, and it's "not that busy" today.  By the time they got out there and set-up, the pool shitter had struck again, and both pools were now closed. 

tl/dr public pools are disgusting 

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

So, we've got a pool.  

Our really nice neighbors called the other day, midweek, and said that they had their grandchildren, they had promised to take them swimming, and something "came up".  Would it be OK if they came over and swam for a couple of hours.

When they arrived, I got the real story.  They had borrowed a friend's timeshare over by legoland, and were going there for the kids to use the pools (there are two).  When they got there, they were notified that the larger pool was closed due to a "fecal contamination" issue that had just occurred...but hey, the smaller pool is still open, and it's "not that busy" today.  By the time they got out there and set-up, the pool shitter had struck again, and both pools were now closed. 

Cryptosporidium is no joke.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

So, we've got a pool.  

They probably had sex in your pool