Yes: Pools are worth it....

2 hours ago, Poolflood said:

Wow.  That's amazing.  Also assuming you're county with no HOA.  

Bad phrasing on my part.  Not the contract, the layout and construction approval documents.  The digging began about a month after that.  The contract was signed back at the end of May. After the contract was signed I had the HOA permit in 3 days and the City of Austin permit took a solid month.  Then I was traveling a lot and so we did the layout in late July.  Today was day 2 of digging  err... rock-hammering with probably 2 to go.  I was told to expect 5 months for construction with delays before gunnite and tile.  I'm expecting longer than that.

• Hook 'Em 1

Someone talk to me about coping/decking ...

We got some samples dropped off yesterday.  The most popular one seems to be a fairly porous Mexican travertine that I would describe as cream colored.  That shit is not gonna fly with the Mrs. One, because it looks too "every 1980s pool I've ever seen" and 2) because it being a more earth tone, won't jive with our white/gray color scheme (see photos in previous post).

The other option in Travertine is indeed white/gray but almost looks like marble and is too "busy".  So it looks like we are either looking at going with just plain concrete, or a manufactured stone/tile to give the clean/modern look she is looking for.

Onto the questions:  Does anyone have anything like that around their pool?  Does it get really hot in the sunlight? Do you love it, or wish it was something different? Has anyone heard of peacock pavers and do you have them around your pool?

TIA

Edited by BTW
Add link

3 hours ago, BTW said:

We got some samples dropped off yesterday.  The most popular one seems to be a fairly porous Mexican travertine that I would describe as cream colored.  That shit is not gonna fly with the Mrs. One, because it looks too "every 1980s pool I've ever seen" and 2) because it being a more earth tone, won't jive with our white/gray color scheme (see photos in previous post).

The other option in Travertine is indeed white/gray but almost looks like marble and is too "busy".  So it looks like we are either looking at going with just plain concrete, or a manufactured stone/tile to give the clean/modern look she is looking for.

Onto the questions:  Does anyone have anything like that around their pool?  Does it get really hot in the sunlight? Do you love it, or wish it was something different? Has anyone heard of peacock pavers and do you have them around your pool?

TIA

I’m on the poorer end of people who build pools so I went with the cheapest option that wasn’t just bare concrete. In my case that was SunDek textured coating over concrete. Supposed to be cool to walk on and grippy. The fact that I don’t have a wife to keep happy made it an easy choice. 

Something like this:

B9E9585F-A826-4780-9D9B-3E6316B7EE40.thumb.jpeg.503dafbd95df38363e065c7b12c6719d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I’m on the poorer end of people who build pools so I went with the cheapest option that wasn’t just bare concrete. In my case that was SunDek textured coating over concrete. Supposed to be cool to walk on and grippy. The fact that I don’t have a wife to keep happy made it an easy choice. 

Something like this:

B9E9585F-A826-4780-9D9B-3E6316B7EE40.thumb.jpeg.503dafbd95df38363e065c7b12c6719d.jpeg

Same here on decking. I have concrete with this same SunDek texture in a light blue. Coping is OK Flagstone.  Definitely nothing fancy but looks nice and the SunDek can be walked on while the coping will burn the fuck out of your feet.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Who are you using to build it?

Company is called Reflection Pools and spas. Old man (in his 70’s) and wife team basically. His website left ALOT to be desired, but he has done several on our street and a few friends in area.  All of those came out nicer than what’s on his site, and the crafts he has seem to do a very detailed job. I asked him why he doesn’t update and he’s just old af.  Anyhow, not much salesman rah rah, just an old contractor, and I’d rather deal with an honest old codger than some slick promise the world type.  Never felt like I was being lied to or screwed, which several others left me with that impression.   I’ll update as we progress. Actually just returned from picking all the materials this AM. Man, that is tough if you don’t have the ability to visualize things well.   I think it is going to end up being an alright deal.  The only thing wife and I are butting heads on is the plaster color. She likes the white/Bahamas look and I like the darker hill country look.  Don’t think I’ll win that battle but going to try anyhow. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, BTW said:

TIA

I went with the Silver travertine.  It looks like dirty white when dry and has some pretty marbling when wet. It is even more white when looking from the house. Getting the spray deck done next week 

5558C041-8F9B-4379-A6B3-61BD3D856627.jpeg

45B4164D-58E9-4D3F-952A-CFBB6E9E7C73.jpeg

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Company is called Reflection Pools and spas. Old man (in his 70’s) and wife team basically. His website left ALOT to be desired, but he has done several on our street and a few friends in area.  All of those came out nicer than what’s on his site, and the crafts he has seem to do a very detailed job. I asked him why he doesn’t update and he’s just old af.  Anyhow, not much salesman rah rah, just an old contractor, and I’d rather deal with an honest old codger than some slick promise the world type.  Never felt like I was being lied to or screwed, which several others left me with that impression.   I’ll update as we progress. Actually just returned from picking all the materials this AM. Man, that is tough if you don’t have the ability to visualize things well.   I think it is going to end up being an alright deal.  The only thing wife and I are butting heads on is the plaster color. She likes the white/Bahamas look and I like the darker hill country look.  Don’t think I’ll win that battle but going to try anyhow. 

Is that Don Peak?   He was OAF 15 years ago.  But he's not gonna fuck you.  Builds a good pool and cares.

9 hours ago, BTW said:

TIA

Silver travertine or sometimes called Nordic silver might work.  Keep in mind it's mined material so some batches could have a lot of variation.  Regarding the peacock, don't go off menu from your builder.  If they offer, just ask a lot of questions. 

1 hour ago, Poolflood said:

Is that Don Peak?   He was OAF 15 years ago.  But he's not gonna fuck you.  Builds a good pool and cares.

Yes. Good to know. I believe his son runs his own pool company as well. We got one poor review from wife’s friend but the more she talked, the more we realized she was just an absolutely horrible client, and nothing she was complaining about was even relevant. 

TIA

Well, I’m a cream travertine guy, but if you look in the pic towards the back, these gray toned travertine was pretty pimp. It’s definitely busy, and I thought pretty modern looking. The guy showed us some installed pics and it was nice looking. Reminded me of the marble we did in the shower.

366debe659bdea189a8e2fb456757f83.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes. Good to know. I believe his son runs his own pool company as well. We got one poor review from wife’s friend but the more she talked, the more we realized she was just an absolutely horrible client, and nothing she was complaining about was even relevant. 

Just understand it's a fucked year.  Be patient.

16 hours ago, Brew said:

Next step of the backyard is finally getting moving, 18x36 covered area with a fireplace on one end, kitchen on the other, and hip wall along the back. It’s a great time to be building, but we’re getting a little bit of a price break building a new master suite addition at the same time. Irma definitely going to be bigger than we need, but we had the space so decided to just go ahead with it.0A162A03-BDB9-4E24-849A-A6E9B3CA0573.thumb.jpeg.6c2d40dc7324f1beddae3ed9786a4ded.jpeg

Meme Dis Gonna B Gud GIF  Oh Yeah Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 5:22 PM, Your Mom said:

So is this why is they cost more in Austin?
EC7023CD-3698-4DD6-A15B-6CCDCCA4F519.thumb.jpeg.a801e6f1482a3d25d236132f997f52b9.jpeg

Probably costing more because the guys in your pics seem to be standing around.  That hole ain't going to dig itself.

Reminds me of when we built a pool in our previous house in ~1999.  Neighbor refused (his right) to allow us to use his property to access the back yard with a large backhoe (for efficient digging through rock).  I agreed to rebuild his fence and compensate for any and all damage done to his property.  Oh well, it's his right.

Pool builder gives us 2 options:

1. Hire a crane to lift a full-size backhoe over my house (twice, of course)
  2. use a bobcat w/ its mediocre jackhammer attachment

Before he could even finish the sentence for option 1, I interrupted, "Uh, no.  We are not going to do that."

After an extended period of jackhammering from around 9a-4p, the pool builder starts getting calls about how loud it is and how long it is taking.  After a few calls, he apologized and let the caller know that the job would have already been completed, but he was respecting the neighbor's wishes not to encroach on their property with a full-size backhoe.  Once he gave details, the calls stopped.  He was convinced it was the neighbor calling to complain.

Regardless, pools are awesome and worth the money and hassle.

Edited by boilerhorn
  • Like 1

I had a new fence built about a year ago.  Adding an 8 foot wide double gate only cost a little extra.  It already paid for itself.   It took them 3 days to break rock and dig it out.  Got the rebar and plumbing in over the next 2 days.  Electrical next and then a 3-4 week wait for gunnite.

Well, sucks to follow[mention=155]Brew[/mention] 1% pics but here we go. About 90% dug today. Steel on sat, plumbing next Tuesday, and gunnite for next Thurs. Things moving along very quick now that the Wx is semi cooperating. Wish me luck.

49c65c7792343dbffa65ecf61b44be9f.jpg

7e19c2f29c7aaaf5a7d4a7e3db36265f.jpg

Looks good! I'm going with some similar minus the wrap around at the porch. What are the dimensions and would you happen to have a design you can share?

30 minutes ago, milkman said:

Looks good! I'm going with some similar minus the wrap around at the porch. What are the dimensions and would you happen to have a design you can share?

I’ll dig them up. I think it’s 13.5x37.  Narrow because we have double easement (14’)  That wrap around is the spa.  As you can see in one of the pics we are cutting the tan shelf back a bit because wife but other than that it went smooth.   Let me doctor up a pic and I’ll post (everything has our names on it). Hell I even got a YouTube vid but don’t want to dox myself just yet, I spend too much time in the CR for that.   One thing that sucks is due to gas line location, we are going to have to put the equipment on the non-preferred side (wide side) that’s near where our table/lounge setup is going.  Not happy about that but have been looking up nice ways to hide it and think I can manage. If that’s the worst we face then I’ll consider myself lucky. 

Edited by fattyflattie

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, sucks to follow@Brew 1% pics but here we go. About 90% dug today. Steel on sat, plumbing next Tuesday, and gunnite for next Thurs. Things moving along very quick now that the Wx is semi cooperating. Wish me luck.

49c65c7792343dbffa65ecf61b44be9f.jpg

7e19c2f29c7aaaf5a7d4a7e3db36265f.jpg

LOL @ that soil compared to the rock jackhammer pics. You get 6" until that limestone in my backyard.

On 9/1/2021 at 8:03 PM, Brew said:

Next step of the backyard is finally getting moving, 18x36 covered area with a fireplace on one end, kitchen on the other, and hip wall along the back. It’s a great time to be building, but we’re getting a little bit of a price break building a new master suite addition at the same time. Irma definitely going to be bigger than we need, but we had the space so decided to just go ahead with it.0A162A03-BDB9-4E24-849A-A6E9B3CA0573.thumb.jpeg.6c2d40dc7324f1beddae3ed9786a4ded.jpeg

money-dollars.gif

@milkman 12-4”x37-2” Narrow due to easement and when I built the house I made the porch bigger (wasn’t thinking pool 8 years ago).

9bc9328c94bf982263faf16e13dbe260.jpg

07e369e8d77af2863f78bb0a3a3641e1.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Right now they have designed a 16' x 32' with a 6' x 12' tanning ledge. Pool goes from 3' to 6'6". I'm thinking about adding a few feet and making it 18' x 38'.

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What is the raised beam reference?

The wall on backside will be a 3-tier wall with a little fountain in it.  If you look in the pics they sort of have it formed up.   All the decking and existing patio will be travertine.  Pretty normal spread, just a bit narrow. 

Edited by fattyflattie

Just now, PantsTent said:

Right. And the yard is still perfect around it. Definitely not my experience last year.

The side they carried it out on def not perfect, but not as bad as I expected.  Then I noticed my neighbors sprinklers were on. Called, texted, nothing.  Then I went out about an hour later and they were still on. So I shut his valve off.  I just had to trench front yard to drain out 2 40’ ruts.  Ugh. Almost came out unscathed. 

Just now, fattyflattie said:

The side they carried it out on def not perfect, but not as bad as I expected.  Then I noticed my neighbors sprinklers were on. Called, texted, nothing.  Then I went out about an hour later and they were still on. So I shut his valve off.  I just had to trench front yard to drain out 2 40’ ruts.  Ugh. Almost came out unscathed. 

And I bet your yard still looks better than mine. That shit looks like it is thriving. 

Just now, Anastasis said:

And I bet your yard still looks better than mine. That shit looks like it is thriving. 

I’ve been traveling a lot, but my understanding is it’s been raining in Houston at least once a day since March or so. I haven’t used my irrigation at all this year.   Can’t complain about rain, but it’s been tough waiting for the pool to go and just too wet.  Family has a place in bandera, I know all about trying to “dig” up in the hill country.  At least y’all pools won’t float off if you get the right rain. 

Will architectural committees of HOA's approve pools being constructed over the building setback line in the back yard? Leander has a 14' backyard BSL, making it impossible to put in a pool, yet all my neighbors are putting them in.

Building setbacks and pool easements setbacks are two separate things.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Will architectural committees of HOA's approve pools being constructed over the building setback line in the back yard? Leander has a 14' backyard BSL, making it impossible to put in a pool, yet all my neighbors are putting them in.

They told us we could fight it, but would be about 5k, not guaranteed, and only net us a foot or two. I wanted to but wife didn’t so here we are. Mine is a 14’ setback, fwiw. 

We dealt with a "drainage and water quality easement" that squeezed us pretty good on pool layout.  Pull your neighbors permits.  It's pretty easy for city of Austin anyway.  I had same question about a neighbor and they (or their builder) just drew the pool right over the easement line on the survey where you couldn't even tell it existed.  I wouldn't do that...eventually somebody gets the original copy of survey.