Yes: Pools are worth it....

So had a pentair globrite led go out.
Replacing part under warranty. Anyone know how to change these out? Ive watched the videos seems pretty easy.

How old is it ? Been reading on tfp on how those lights fail frequently and use proprietary niche so you can swap them with anything else

2 hours ago, Quagmire said:

How old is it ? Been reading on tfp on how those lights fail frequently and use proprietary niche so you can swap them with anything else

the one in my spa went out already, less than 2 years from install. covered under warranty but still - that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies once my warranty runs out

7 hours ago, El Tri said:

the one in my spa went out already, less than 2 years from install. covered under warranty but still - that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies once my warranty runs out

Not horribly difficult to replace.  Replace like for like always.  And you may be able to find someone in pool business to get you wholesale if needed...

On 10/26/2021 at 4:42 PM, williemackgarza said:

So had a pentair globrite led go out.
Replacing part under warranty. Anyone know how to change these out? Ive watched the videos seems pretty easy.

Hayward, not Pentair, but I’ve had two lights replaced by my builder under a full 3 year warranty.

49 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

How many days did decking take ?

2.5-3 days with 3 guys. 1 skilled guy, one semi skilled guy, 1 strong back.  I’m a stickler for intricate work like that and it came out really nice.   Nothing for me to really nitpick.  

Eta: few tiny things I had them tighten up but I was satisfied with the work. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Do they put a concrete base down for the travertine ?

There are differing theories on it. This guy does. I showed slab on post 1769 on previous page.  Then they came in with sand and placed the tiles, while perfecting the crown/draining patterns.   Others use a packed cement/sand base, but it’s not preferable with the soils we have here in Houston.  Should be plenty fine in rocky areas of Hill Country though.  It’s not a bad method, just not great here from my understanding.  

10 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

How many gallons is it? We have a water well, thinking when we fill ours we might hire out a water truck. Not sure if filling a pool puts a strain on the well pump, seems like it would go for hours.

I honestly don’t know, need to brush up on some volume maths tomorrow.  But I wouldn’t do it with a well.  Truck was like a couple of hundred bucks per load iirc. I’ve only got one hose on it but it puts out 5.5 gpm. It’s going to be a minute, but surprisingly the hot tub is full and the entire floor is wet. She started filling at 1500 I believe.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

How many gallons is it? We have a water well, thinking when we fill ours we might hire out a water truck. Not sure if filling a pool puts a strain on the well pump, seems like it would go for hours.

It doesn’t, but unless you have awesome well water I wouldn’t use it. Truck water will be way better quality and faster generally speaking. You want great water when refilling, not stuff with a high TDS

54 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I honestly don’t know, need to brush up on some volume maths tomorrow.  But I wouldn’t do it with a well.  Truck was like a couple of hundred bucks per load iirc. I’ve only got one hose on it but it puts out 5.5 gpm. It’s going to be a minute, but surprisingly the hot tub is full and the entire floor is wet. She started filling at 1500 I believe.  

Trucks are 180-220 a load depending on what you do. For 14k gallons it was less than a 800 bucks iirc I’m out in hays county. They charge you what the water place they get it from charges. If you are close to a water hydrant they can just tap in there and truck it back and forth. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Thx. I’ll update here in a week or so when we get the furniture and whatnot out. Pretty excited.  Kids are dying to jump in that cold ass water. They keep saying, daddy it’s no different than the frio!!  Touché. 

Got a spa/heater so... look to heat that pool up for a few days for Thanksgiving, well worth it. The cost is really not that much. I've got a 400k heater and if I recall I calculated less than $3/hr to run and could get a ~22k gal pool like 1.5 degrees an hour warmer.

Got some renderings after a second pass with one pool company we are working with. Haven't decided everything yet, but I do like this layout a lot. It puts the pool right in the middle, uses the maximum space allowed on the right side, and leaves a lot of empty yard on the left for kids to play. We have to add a pool fence to it, and will be doing some stones between the pavers (not pebbles/gravel).

Any thoughts, feedback, suggestions?Screenshot_20211106-092302_Office Mobile.jpgScreenshot_20211106-092310_Office Mobile.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Got some renderings after a second pass with one pool company we are working with. Haven't decided everything yet, but I do like this layout a lot. It puts the pool right in the middle, uses the maximum space allowed on the right side, and leaves a lot of empty yard on the left for kids to play. We have to add a pool fence to it, and will be doing some stones between the pavers (not pebbles/gravel).

Any thoughts, feedback, suggestions?Screenshot_20211106-092302_Office Mobile.jpgScreenshot_20211106-092310_Office Mobile.jpg

Where you have pavers around the pool I would just do a full deck with cool decking.  Grass between pavers is just going to create a pain in the ass for your to have to maintain. Plus less grass clippings in the pool.

• Like 2

Where you have pavers around the pool I would just do a full deck with cool decking.  Grass between pavers is just going to create a pain in the ass for your to have to maintain. Plus less grass clippings in the pool.
Yeah that's not gonna be grass, we are doing stones between them. Something like this:IMG953176.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was not aware how pee interreacted with Chlorine, and that it creates the byproduct Trichloramine, which is what causes public pools to have that strong smell. This is an entertaining video about it, and looking into how much pee is in a pool. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

14 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Did any of you add new yard lighting when you built the pool?  All we currently have are the recessed can lights under the patio. Thinking I will need to add spot/flood lights on the soffit. Will probably add landscape lighting as well. Any recs?

We had the patio lights installed in the pillars.  They are 120V fixtures but I put 12V LED bulbs in them.  I have added one spotlight to the same lines to light up our tree and will add more on the backside of the pool later.  Pool company installed the pillars, I am just adding on to it.  System is controlled by our pool automation.

Landscape lights are a great DIY project.  the big deal is getting the right ones and placement.  I have a transformer I bought off Amazon I am not using and need to sell if you are interested.  I thought I had to provide it but the pool company did so never used it except to test lights.  A good plan is to get one or two and test them where you think they will go for coverage before you finalize the installation.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bottlerocket: That looks really good and is something I'll be looking, perhaps next year. Same awful gravel you had...
What is the material or process that you had done? Did a pool company or someone else do it? Warranty?

The company that did it was Texas Premier Coat

You can see the process at their website: Www.texaspremiercoat.com

They were awesome to deal with and delivered more than they promised. I had a couple of lower bids but they were for a single color with no pattern.

The guy that did the actual work was an artist and worked his ass off to deliver the best end product.

Owner: Brett
Installer: Junior.