Yes: Pools are worth it....

1 hour ago, kmac30 said:

Rebar in, gunite Wednesday. Are all steps created with rebar or do they build some with the gunite?

7 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

My entry steps were all gunite, but the 2 little benches had rebar.

yep, some of each.  If they are tall (Benches) they do rebar and if short then they don't need it was my experience.  It's like modeling clay when they shoot it out and can support it's own weight.

• Like 1

Finally getting this wrapped up. Started in September, held off on completion until the temps warmed up. Started filling it last Friday, we used water truck for better water quality and for the convenience. Eight trucks later she is full. Now we can start on the yard.

0BC99042-2F29-4219-9C71-DEF5DF799D67.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Rolling right along. Gunite yesterday, clean up today. Plumbing next week.

I noticed the pad today and think I might have a problem. It’s right next to the exhaust side of my generator. This spot gets pretty hot. Am I right to be concerned?

25f685f57cad4194582173fc349be473.jpg

8 hours ago, kmac30 said:

Rolling right along. Gunite yesterday, clean up today. Plumbing next week.

I noticed the pad today and think I might have a problem. It’s right next to the exhaust side of my generator. This spot gets pretty hot. Am I right to be concerned?

25f685f57cad4194582173fc349be473.jpg

Don't know that it will cause any pool issues, but the generator I know has a clearance of a couple feet on ends. I'd have them try and give you 2ft or so on that end clear or check with generator installer on required clearance.

Keep a good separation between pool equipment and generator for service.  Also, when you are working on pumps and your filters water will run everywhere as well.

I think zoning or installation guidelines was at least three feet of clearance on all side for the pool equipment.  I plan to put up a wall fence around some parts and may make the fence panels removable or gates to allow access for service.

Question for the experts:

My old Polaris began "stopping" mid-cycle in about the same spot in the pool a few weeks ago.  Not against a wall or anything but about the same spot each day. Had the pool guy look at it and his assessment was that the drive chain and gear mechanism was worn out and could be replaced or a new unit could be purchased for around the same price.  The old one was 10 years or more old so I just bought a new one (Polaris 280).

I installed it last week and it worked great but yesterday noticed that it has started "stopping" mid-cycle in almost exactly the same spot the old one did.  The tail continues to sweep but none of the wheels are turning and it is tilted up toward the one wheel side.  If I grab the hose to pull it to the surface to look at it and then drop it back in it will start working properly again for 15 or 20 minutes and then "stop" again in about the same place (no wheels turning, tilted toward one wheel side and tail is still sweeping).

Most online stuff I see indicates problem like this may come from an older unit where the wheels are worn so they aren't making contact with one another to push it forward.  Shouldn't be my problem as it is brand new and the wheels are touching, but none of the wheels are moving at all.  The booster pump that runs it seems to be working properly regardless of whether the polaris is "working" or "stopped".

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, orange dream said:

Question for the experts:

My old Polaris began "stopping" mid-cycle in about the same spot in the pool a few weeks ago.  Not against a wall or anything but about the same spot each day. Had the pool guy look at it and his assessment was that the drive chain and gear mechanism was worn out and could be replaced or a new unit could be purchased for around the same price.  The old one was 10 years or more old so I just bought a new one (Polaris 280).

I installed it last week and it worked great but yesterday noticed that it has started "stopping" mid-cycle in almost exactly the same spot the old one did.  The tail continues to sweep but none of the wheels are turning and it is tilted up toward the one wheel side.  If I grab the hose to pull it to the surface to look at it and then drop it back in it will start working properly again for 15 or 20 minutes and then "stop" again in about the same place (no wheels turning, tilted toward one wheel side and tail is still sweeping).

Most online stuff I see indicates problem like this may come from an older unit where the wheels are worn so they aren't making contact with one another to push it forward.  Shouldn't be my problem as it is brand new and the wheels are touching, but none of the wheels are moving at all.  The booster pump that runs it seems to be working properly regardless of whether the polaris is "working" or "stopped".

Any ideas?

Brooding on its nest.  how do you think baby polaris are born?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Hayward Omnilogic board going to need to be replaced (less than 2yr old)....pretty sure just a bad relay but it's under warranty so let them mess with it... Only affecting salt cell right now so can at least self chlorinate until replaced

3 yr warranty.   Assuming boards available quick easy fix.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm entering month 4 of the "yes, pools are worth it" lifestyle.  I don't know how we managed the summer heat without one.  It is absolutely therapeutic to enjoy a pool in your own backyard after a hot day with some tunes cranking and your beverage of choice in hand.  A couple of the very minor, annoyance thoughts came to mind this morning as I was tending to the pool:

• Die, crape myrtles!  My neighbor to the south has two large bastards planted next to the fence, and these little shitty flowers are cluttering my pool, skimmers and filter with this blastfurnace wind cranking up to full blast levels.
  • Die, birds that shit in my pool!  I'm humoring the wife with her suggestion of placing several of those rotating, sparkly fans around the pool to chase off the grackles and blackbirds, but I already have the next step in mind.  It involves a pellet gun and me spending more time on the back patio.
  • I wish I had more fully appreciated that those convenient little chlorine tabs also have stabilizing CYA built in that builds up to an undesirable level over a relatively short amount of time.  Right now I'm playing a game of chicken with fresh water filing and no CL until the levels come down.  After that, I'm going to use more liquid CL and only use the tabs as needed for clarifying or to increase stabilizer.    
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Have a quick question....we are building a new house and will be finished in the next 3 weeks.  We just have the plaster and startup left on the pool.  The pool builder is saying we need our certificate of occupancy before they will schedule plaster.  I cannot find anything anywhere that says you need to have the certificate of occupancy to plaster and fill a pool.  Has anyone had experience with a new construction home and pool being built at the same time?

6 minutes ago, milkman said:

Have a quick question....we are building a new house and will be finished in the next 3 weeks.  We just have the plaster and startup left on the pool.  The pool builder is saying we need our certificate of occupancy before they will schedule plaster.  I cannot find anything anywhere that says you need to have the certificate of occupancy to plaster and fill a pool.  Has anyone had experience with a new construction home and pool being built at the same time?

Forgot to mention the fence has been installed.

31 minutes ago, milkman said:

Assuming the house and pool contractor are separate, I'm guessing the pool contractor doesn't want to be on the hook if a house contractor messes something up on the plaster due to cost of fixing.  House contractor wouldn't want to pay and pool contractor doesn't have good way to go after them. It would be way for pool contractor to know that the house contractor is "done".

Plumbing is going in today. Putting split face on the retaining wall. Wife is not 100% about it, says it’s “rustic”. I continue to show her pictures that dispute that claim but she is sticking to it. Silver travertine decking with a grey split face should look good. I’m pretty much colorblind so what do I know.

Then she realized something in the design that has always been there and now she doesn’t like (too late). This type of build is definitely tough on her.

It will look great in the end. The process sucks.

Did anyone get push back from builder to use thicker coping? I want the 5cm but the design people made it sound like that could be a problem.

1 hour ago, kmac30 said:

Plumbing is going in today. Putting split face on the retaining wall. Wife is not 100% about it, says it’s “rustic”. I continue to show her pictures that dispute that claim but she is sticking to it. Silver travertine decking with a grey split face should look good. I’m pretty much colorblind so what do I know.

Then she realized something in the design that has always been there and now she doesn’t like (too late). This type of build is definitely tough on her.

Did anyone get push back from builder to use thicker coping? I want the 5cm but the design people made it sound like that could be a problem.

The set elevation for 3cm coping.  Putting 5cm on there is going to mess that up.  That's not a cheap or easy adjustment depending on build.

3 hours ago, kmac30 said:

We did the split face travertine on a raised wall and I love it.  We also have the thicker coping The key is to set the coping before you do the decking around the pool so you can have them flush.  once the decking level is set the coping has to fit in.

Just went out to take these pictures to illustrate.

vU6h_7oCWCwIpbvJZmjqdNlz6JKqZyOaXL22-MI9o7dBoPJLO7H4_Vf7l6kNhC_-sTr9DuhhIqnpZ8101M5C6Fu-w389BheuRFTr3ZzPmdYcK03S8fIg8MIru88mC7wt9aebakeSvIiF98XYLXUHzYxI4MYSBYrLpMMDq8BPHpaCIc1W-Q4H5e1iC9n7XMTHsttPwZKcd7ghFIReq1wUlKZ4X_-7IaC4IHFDp7GSX-9HxViKwWnrI_j8g7XrBQRDGX8ey0362TpLieZq4hiBncAUSmG97YHMlDPNWeFURix11YxpvYEmyvsVLVRSYkHsp2R7XBbMU7407KWCK6xbbRUxhHadVUiGGqB4lLOWnW_dX6nb1AzXXlIhZUk6GZcu8uMW24FfPj4DqgOLhjPogLVc0QnN13JMRsfbt2hQ9X-AEucc1OP-njFzu5cAh0-uoEP4PC7Wcy92N5bkHDhymGhVnxCbGMLc5nekk2wHOhybo9o5Z7KPcRkyX3xaSjV270sIKaciWDGFzkwTUY15JKp_SQQIZTQKDWLc3lvbzmN_rrsoDcp1bU6NVwiXyOlVfBfy-Nxv1iCx2fvY8lQEOY0y7YtXoFcrUOwVZBEbgdOBX3-aWMfT_unGbS-GZVU-XiNnRpReYExLrStq9vGkVCl8aivOdhx6GEATx1o-YiAAzZvsRPu9jP4ZrrAWzJi4jw9oOHOTwC7UWH1XV_Rn0_XBf8CAedt7Pf92j-qDNEeXWU2Ez0Rr9MOjZhNa9VkkFEOo7GVK5Rkkd0IzfCdwTeAfWcYXQo5eAI68hHMFwNA2zCqWLhBxoskj80Y-bxL1XW5sr3ig=w884-h663-no?authuser=0dS4NPIiWj0twj7tt1yBhEeN4UmZsnZDbyOyi8V4yjGD03Gfxhjf70A6URNTinDhWEcopEMUdl65PiQHlmPgkz3_J--fBk1g0INeNDrx5__9DHqqJc20zyviHV_5qFOJAXuwRQ58APrmovmjnamfWZgNisAGvTFZOlWnMbLl0auYkQELKdQKMgLIFf0u2dqasjBGul47DKdlINDZMh194zKkm5dOF0Bf1XqN3qLBUbcPnTIpHyPchnH4V1KU-q2spGb_ZVKpN5lnh3SKseCYYPVE-cLGb5mUQWN1146HYSuhfvPc5UobaNt7x42u95tGk4_vOhIXAbHY8KvHpeTRAo14B_S3RvPrUTiB4418nZsUk5EbO2yDIZO7rctX42ftLpMFNeydk9t06ZUOiQUj4U5X6nTTMW07-Dx20lQGJnsF_CUI_widLAVc1WL4oFGT1PurlUSnhJsm0eLjmSx-kOOvmESsD6SkD8Vr_-TgZsNPvzaIJbnWCNrxqJUhV9h9SfNEbPJ34dDLYbOhegtYpxy9vWZIdi5YaiI6bweOgEduxBGjfcB1VYuxxfdoF4NYIMM8_jbOsbF0WyXDbSo2pofKB1lKGC8E29uCgY2TOygU2qt98odIs6jUqPavdDZrfKDBdJR8kJ54LnibwVJhZcI08qZ_MqH08YDY7p64ZnU_D5NSyTOGrjCgh6aQNl87VLObhVxk0ENm-70_jVr6r4MURZVwaJInEgPg0oC9Gf6jhpRzX0dMh2pzLacLm9yReHsDqOLwaWJKT9ojc3G9GQvWoLuOM9jLUakVgGc0yeL00mAGo_TuB0Ak7b1zGtKVKAP1NTnEh=w884-h663-no?authuser=0

Edited by TexasEd

Just bought a house with a pool and the exterior surface around the pool needs to be resurfaced. It’s peeling and exposing concrete in most areas. Is there a better method/material than others? I’d like to do it once and not think about it again for a long while. 

On 6/8/2022 at 1:59 PM, TexasEd said:

We did the split face travertine on a raised wall and I love it.  We also have the thicker coping The key is to set the coping before you do the decking around the pool so you can have them flush.  once the decking level is set the coping has to fit in.

Same. 

Alright we’ve been swimming for a couple weeks now and I’ve been so busy I paid the company that did our startup to handle the first month. Getting everything rounded up for what I need to do it myself and from what I’ve found Amazon gas the best prices on chemicals. Anyone here say otherwise before I place this order?

We did startup on Friday and swam over the weekend. It was great. The kids can't get enough. Still waiting on the automatic cover to finish being installed (tracks are in under the coping, but they are still building the cover itself). Got the furniture on order from Polywood. Setting up a outdoor 7 piece dining set along with 3 seater couch and a couple of end tables. And we have an existing fire table. I don't know how to really use any of the equipment yet, but should be doing pool school here shortly as we get further along in startup. We have been brushing the plaster everyday and the water is nice and clear. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Landscaper put down a little over 30 rolls of sod last week after fucking around the last couple months during our cool, rainy spring. His timing was much appreciated since it was right on the front end of 2 weeks of the hottest temperatures on record in June around here. If I can keep this grass remotely alive it will be a miracle and one hell of a water bill.

He’s supposed to be another 20 or so next week as well.

Edited by Brew
  • Rage+1 1

57 minutes ago, lonestar3 said:

About to start digging on ours. Pretty minimal rectangle design with a tanning ledge and hot tub. 

What are you guys seeing for pricing on auto pool covers, and who are you using in the Austin area? 

Ours was ~20k, Houston. 12 x 26 rectangular. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Da Fino said:

1f1ea02bf080e15ebc15a21cf9cd2840.jpg

Anybody got advice about this white stuff? Water levels are good now. Shocked it a couple of days ago.

Are you computing your CSI- Calcium Saturation Index?  It is a combination of several readings like temperature, pH, CYA, TA and Calcium Hardness. 

When CSI is above 0.6 you get scaling and below-0.6 you get etching. 

what are these “good” levels?  Here is a screenshot of my readings to show what I mean on CSI. 7 days ago CSI was good but pH and TA were rising and I added CYA. Those 3 pushed me into the scaling range so I added a lot of acid yesterday (actually had minor scale in a couple days in that range) should be perfect today. 
44A73DEA-EE72-4796-890B-2ADAECA3B280.thumb.jpeg.489bdaab49d01d8ac93ae3264bc46b9f.jpeg

Edit: noted the part about shocking. Using Calcium Hypoclor to shock your pool raises pH, Total Alkalinity and Calcium hardness. 

Edited by TexasEd

27 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

I'm not a fan of covers.  For those that have bought are you satisfied with value?  And what's top reason for purchase?  Industy curiosity. 

No idea if satisfied since it isn't installed yet. But ours is safety. We have 3 kids under 6 and insufficient room to add a separate pool fence. Auto safety cover was our best option. 

1 hour ago, Amos Moses said:

[mention=40]TexasEd[/mention]
What program/device are you using for monitoring?

Pool Math app affiliated with TroubleFreePool.com

it is free without logging and small fee to add log history. You configure it for your pool size, materials and chlorine source. Enter your test results and it does the math for how much chemical adding will balance the water. 

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Pool Math app affiliated with TroubleFreePool.com

it is free without logging and small fee to add log history. You configure it for your pool size, materials and chlorine source. Enter your test results and it does the math for how much chemical adding will balance the water. 

This plus SWG is the easiest way to manage your pool.

• Hook 'Em 2

Who has some good real world insight on saltwater and limestone coping?  Traveling 3 days a week is having me second-guess not getting a SWG when I had the pool built.  I'd like to switch over to salt.  I have limestone coping.  I've read all the horror stories.  My thoughts are that limestone is soft and porous and will chip anyway.  My 3 month old limestone already has a few small chips with no saltwater contact.  

The pool builder basically says "Hell no.  You just can't do it.  You'll have a gravel pit in your backyard within months."

The TFP guys generally say it's overblown and that limestone will chip anyway eventually and that the salt content isn't as much as most think and the effects can be negated with a good seal.

As with most things, the truth is probably in the middle.  I'm leaning towards sealing the limestone with a good penetrating sealer and going for it with a SWG.  It's just the coping, not the whole deck.   Who here has real experience with this?  Barring a complete destruction of the stone, I think I'd rather deal with re-sealing and having a few chips than having to fuck with the  pool chemistry on a daily basis.  Hell, even re-doing the coping later on to something more durable would be a decent option to me.

36 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Who has some good real world insight on saltwater and limestone coping?  Traveling 3 days a week is having me second-guess not getting a SWG when I had the pool built.  I'd like to switch over to salt.  I have limestone coping.  I've read all the horror stories.  My thoughts are that limestone is soft and porous and will chip anyway.  My 3 month old limestone already has a few small chips with no saltwater contact.  

The pool builder basically says "Hell no.  You just can't do it.  You'll have a gravel pit in your backyard within months."

The TFP guys generally say it's overblown and that limestone will chip anyway eventually and that the salt content isn't as much as most think and the effects can be negated with a good seal.

As with most things, the truth is probably in the middle.  I'm leaning towards sealing the limestone with a good penetrating sealer and going for it with a SWG.  It's just the coping, not the whole deck.   Who here has real experience with this?  Barring a complete destruction of the stone, I think I'd rather deal with re-sealing and having a few chips than having to fuck with the  pool chemistry on a daily basis.  Hell, even re-doing the coping later on to something more durable would be a decent option to me.

I have Travertine which is a type of limestone, one of the harder ones but it is limestone. What kind of limestone do you have? Leuder stone is softer and then there is also field stone limestone and cut quarry blocks.  If you have the cut blocks then you have a problem no matter what kind of water you have because that chalky stuff will wash away, get mildew stains, leech impurities into the pool and stain, etc.  I will assume you have Leuder.

See this post I made earlier, It is more about the CSI of the water not the salt.  We did not treat our travertine.  All I do is wash it down if we have a big party to get some of the residual salts off the coping. I spray it down at least once a month, sometimes more.

Keeping the balance with Salt water is not too hard.  Getting TA down and CH up is the only part that was hard at first then they stabilize.  Salt Water will tend to go scaling more often than etching.  Just watch your acid applications and maybe dilute the acid before adding it.  I have not but I usually put on the waterfall and it keeps any acid from splashing back on the tile/coping.

A few tips: Use liquid chlorine for shock instead of Cal-Hpochlor, once you have everything stable test for chlorine and pH about twice a week, TA about once a week and CYA and CH about once a month.

On 6/18/2022 at 9:23 AM, TexasEd said:

Are you computing your CSI- Calcium Saturation Index?  It is a combination of several readings like temperature, pH, CYA, TA and Calcium Hardness. 

When CSI is above 0.6 you get scaling and below-0.6 you get etching. 

what are these “good” levels?  Here is a screenshot of my readings to show what I mean on CSI. 7 days ago CSI was good but pH and TA were rising and I added CYA. Those 3 pushed me into the scaling range so I added a lot of acid yesterday (actually had minor scale in a couple days in that range) should be perfect today. 
44A73DEA-EE72-4796-890B-2ADAECA3B280.thumb.jpeg.489bdaab49d01d8ac93ae3264bc46b9f.jpeg

Edit: noted the part about shocking. Using Calcium Hypoclor to shock your pool raises pH, Total Alkalinity and Calcium hardness. 

Edited by TexasEd

Thanks!  That helps confirm what I was thinking.  Been using liquid chlorine and doing the TFP method.  Have it all very much under control and within limits but the daily upkeep is something I won't be able to do much longer due to work travel.  

Why aren’t fiberglass pools common in central Texas? Soil conditions and rocks?

I remember growing up in Houston and they were more common but it’s more sandy soil there

Or do they just suck? Haven’t seen one in ages and have always wondered

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

Why aren’t fiberglass pools common in central Texas? Soil conditions and rocks?

I remember growing up in Houston and they were more common but it’s more sandy soil there

Or do they just suck? Haven’t seen one in ages and have always wondered

Not enough advertising. I never seen them propped up on their side with a phone number in the bottom as I drive down the highway anymore.

General response to TFP and salt water systems.  

Aside from my industry experience I've had a pool in my backyard for a decade.  I have a VS pump, an over-sized cartridge filter, robotic cleaner and a POS rainbow chlorinator.  We spend MAYBE 30 minutes a WEEK fucking around with the pool.  It's usually on Sunday after spending the day in the pool (so we're drunk when we do it).  Keep tabs in the chlorinator, shock the pool once a week and check the pH.  You can mind-fuck water chemistry and if you want to putz with the pool, cool.  Hire a service company and it's going to cost ~200/month and they are going to spend 30 minutes cleaning the pool, adjusting pH, adding tabs and shocking the pool.  

If your pool gets a bunch of leaves etc, in the pool, that changes the calculus, but typically not by much.  

• Hook 'Em 1