Yes: Pools are worth it....

I think for the beginner who wants to manage their pool, Leslee’s can be a great resource to start if you have a decent crew. The ones by my houses were always very good with the water analysis and taking one through various steps. I always tell folks to go to pool school and know how that fucker works so they don’t get ripped off. I had a independent in north Richland hills who I used for most stuff and they showed me differences in chemicals.

2 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

First one

Turn off the pumps.  You have to close off the drain valve to the pump if it is lower than the pool water level 

I use a rubber mallet to loosen the lid.  They are friction fit.

Empty the basket and put it back

Put the lid back on, open the valve again

Turn power back on.

You may have to let air out of the filter housing after this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

Thanks. How do I let air out?

top of the 2nd pic (cartridge filter)... the orange value.

Turn off pumps and then open the orange value and it will let air out and the lid to pump filter comes off easier.

Close the orange valve

Once pump lid back in place, turn pumps on to 100% to prime

when you see water coming into the pump filter under the lid, open the orange valve up slightly and air will come out. When air stops and water comes out, close it.

Might repeat that open slightly / close until the bubbles under the pump lid are gone

turn pump back to normal speed

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

On 8/26/2022 at 8:10 PM, Poolflood said:

However you want to spell it, FUCK "Leslees".  If you can, stay out of their stores and don’t buy their tabs.

I can't find liquid chlorine last weekend at Walmart or HD, so I pop into Lesley's. They have boxes with 4 1-gallon jugs. I can't see a mfg date on the box, so I open it one to pull a jug out to check. Go to the checkout and they ring me up - $40 (12% bleach).  Walmart sells 10% for $5/gallon, so it's double the price, granted for stronger bleach. 

So I tell the cashier, sorry, nevermind, and start to pick up the case to return it back where I got it. They got huffy and told me they couldn't sell it now that the box was opened - store policy. And the other employee grumbles about not knowing why I opened it in the first place. 

Am I missing something, or is that some level of stupid? I imagine bleach jugs are always shipped in cardboard, and stores must open the boxes to put individual jugs on the shelves all the time. How the fuck would that "taint" it? 

1 hour ago, BillyBadAss said:

I can't find liquid chlorine last weekend at Walmart or HD, so I pop into Lesley's. They have boxes with 4 1-gallon jugs. I can't see a mfg date on the box, so I open it one to pull a jug out to check. Go to the checkout and they ring me up - $40 (12% bleach).  Walmart sells 10% for $5/gallon, so it's double the price, granted for stronger bleach. 

So I tell the cashier, sorry, nevermind, and start to pick up the case to return it back where I got it. They got huffy and told me they couldn't sell it now that the box was opened - store policy. And the other employee grumbles about not knowing why I opened it in the first place. 

Am I missing something, or is that some level of stupid? I imagine bleach jugs are always shipped in cardboard, and stores must open the boxes to put individual jugs on the shelves all the time. How the fuck would that "taint" it? 

You fell for the second oldest trick in the book, Never touch anything in a Leslie's. Only slightly more well known is never get involved in a land war in Ukraine.

I had them repair my robot under warranty.  Took two months for them to acknowledge they were the authorized service center, it didn't matter that I did not buy it from them, and it was really under warranty (Had the manufacturer call them on the phone party line style to get that point across).

Needed acid when I picked it up and shook my head then drove 2 miles to Home Depot and paid half price. Saved $16

Edited by TexasEd

I didn't buy it. And to their credit they didn't really pressure me to. I said nevermind and cashier said okay. It was when I offered to return the case where I had gotten it that I detected the huffiness and they informed me they couldn't sell it.

How about putting a fucking sign up with the price?

Anyway, I'd generally assume a pool store would know more than I about sound business practices of selling pool shit, but it just seemed weird to me. Like does 12% bleach legally require different handling than 10% or something?

I half thought to ask for an open box discount as I was walking out though.

Couldn’t find chlorine @ Wally World the other day either. Went to a pinch a penny - they have 2.5 gallon reusable containers that work out to $4 a gallon ( once you have paid the deposit fee) & it’s supposedly 12% also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/23/2022 at 2:07 PM, Your Mom said:

My pool guy told me to empty the skimmer baskets once week or as needed, the pump basket once a month, and clean the filter cartridges every 3 months.  

Easy to tell who doesn't have large oak trees near/over their pool.  When I had a pool, I was emptying the skimmer baskets a couple/three times a day during pollen or fall season.  Pump basket at least once a week, sometimes more.  Oaks are pretty, but are definitely a pool's enemy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

How big a deal is this crack?  Just noticed it this morning.  There’s a small oak a few feet from there but it hasn’t had time to grow much since the pool was just finished this past May. 
The crack extends through the concrete deck and into the limestone next to it. 
3A540BBB-33AC-4E77-A2EE-B17B394D2169.thumb.jpeg.0ed42171c0afe30d1f5c2a035c1001b6.jpegA75083D3-75DE-4B9C-9077-31ECD3AF856F.thumb.png.b927cf587c608f662a6b97dd52c96713.pngCF4D8334-0572-4D00-89E1-2B85FE0CE93E.thumb.png.195966161578b47f12250347b05ebf31.pngE4416A05-FE14-4B38-A65E-19274DE4FAAA.thumb.jpeg.61217713b02e893d8da5766eea932c1e.jpegD85AD736-9A4F-4CAC-8468-F0AD428FCAF4.thumb.jpeg.4a0c71387af73dd3a19fe21c75c44501.jpeg

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Thanks man, I really appreciate your input throughout this entire thread over the years.  I suppose I should put some filler in there to keep it from growing too much, yeah?  

You can try.  Decks just move and filler tends to accentuate the (look of the) crack.  But i wouldnt try unless you have more of the acrylic paint to go back over with.  And use heavy nap roller to paint.  Dont use a brush.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmac30 said:

What do y’all do with the pool toys/floats?

Deck box is the keyword to look for. As with all things pool related, you'll find a huge price range and who knows on quality. 2 yrs and no issue so far on this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HDPY7RG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

3 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Deck box is the keyword to look for. As with all things pool related, you'll find a huge price range and who knows on quality. 2 yrs and no issue so far on this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HDPY7RG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

We have the same box, or extremely similar.  Has been great so far but only 1 yr in.  It’s hold a ton of stuff. 

Pool sprung a leak.  Leak inspector says return is broken, which aligns with where the grass is green and ground stays wet.  Haven’t gotten a repair estimate back but the description (basically digging out and breaking up 1/4 of the pool) given makes me think it’s going to be pretty costly. Our pool is over 30 years old and we have known we would need to resurface/update/remodel sometime in the next decade or so.  Anybody got advice on how to determine if the repair is worth doing or if we should just go ahead and remodel?  I have no clue what things cost, pulling a guess out of my butt I am thinking the remodel we want will be in the $40k-$80k range, so if the repair is gonna cost more than $20k it would probably be better off just remodeling.  Any advice/recommendations on what to do is much appreciated.  Same for remodel contractor referrals; I’m in SW Austin.

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Pool sprung a leak.  Leak inspector says return is broken, which aligns with where the grass is green and ground stays wet.  Haven’t gotten a repair estimate back but the description (basically digging out and breaking up 1/4 of the pool) given makes me think it’s going to be pretty costly. Our pool is over 30 years old and we have known we would need to resurface/update/remodel sometime in the next decade or so.  Anybody got advice on how to determine if the repair is worth doing or if we should just go ahead and remodel?  I have no clue what things cost, pulling a guess out of my butt I am thinking the remodel we want will be in the $40k-$80k range, so if the repair is gonna cost more than $20k it would probably be better off just remodeling.  Any advice/recommendations on what to do is much appreciated.  Same for remodel contractor referrals; I’m in SW Austin.

"Repair" for that is plumbing and replaster generally - prob with some deck work.   But if you're gonna do that might as well do tile and coping... and if you're gonna do that .... remodel to the nth to get what she's gonna be happy with.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

find out if the leak is in the ground or the concrete.  Could be a tree root broke the pipe in the ground or something like that.

Not that it’s impossible, but I’d be shocked if it were a tree root; there aren’t any trees within 50 feet of the spot.

I have no idea what could have caused the leak.  A part of me is wondering if the vibrations from the road work a block away (I’m near the 290 construction being done near the Y) caused the crack.

• Rage+1 1

Pentair Mastertemp 400 error code AFS. Brand new unit. First time firing it up. Doesn’t heat, and after about ten seconds of trying to heat it shuts off. What. The. Fuck. It’s under warranty and the company will be out Wednesday to check it out, but I want to get some leg in the hot tub tonight so that’s a problem.

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Pentair Mastertemp 400 error code AFS. Brand new unit. First time firing it up. Doesn’t heat, and after about ten seconds of trying to heat it shuts off. What. The. Fuck. It’s under warranty and the company will be out Wednesday to check it out, but I want to get some leg in the hot tub tonight so that’s a problem.

Lulz.  Blue balls for you waiting on warranty. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Is it gas?

My new gas heater had be purged of air so it would ignite.  It took 4 or 5 restarts.  Maybe that is your problem.

3 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Propane. How do you purge it?

RTFM :) My manual had info in it but I did not read it.  I just kept restarting it and it would try to run for a while and the safety switch would detect that there was no heat and cut it off.  I kept doing that until it was purged and lit up.

True to purge. Still no dice and same error code. Pool company came out yesterday and checked everything. You can hear gas flow through regulator, fan kicks on but no ignition.

Pool guy says I bet you’re out of propane. I said not a chance, but let’s go look. 75% full on a 1500gallon tank.

Pool guy says is the valve open? I looked at him and said well if you did the pressure test correctly like you said you did then that would have revealed if it’s open or closed, but here let’s take a look (valve is open).

Pool guy calls his boss who says “oh if you’ve done all of that and everything checks out I bet it’s the step down regulator installed to the gas inlet. Pool guy says “that’s what your plumber installed, you need to get them out here to replace it because it’s bad”. Called the plumber we used that we’ve known for years. Told him what the pool guy said and he chuckles and says “I’ve been doing this almost 40 years and I’ve never had one of those go bad, but sure I’ll come swap it out Sunday or Monday and if it’s that regulator I’ll refund the entire project”.

TLDR; nobody knows why the fuck my heater isn’t working and I can’t get any leg in my hot tub until it is. Furk

30 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

True to purge. Still no dice and same error code. Pool company came out yesterday and checked everything. You can hear gas flow through regulator, fan kicks on but no ignition.

Pool guy says I bet you’re out of propane. I said not a chance, but let’s go look. 75% full on a 1500gallon tank.

Pool guy says is the valve open? I looked at him and said well if you did the pressure test correctly like you said you did then that would have revealed if it’s open or closed, but here let’s take a look (valve is open).

Pool guy calls his boss who says “oh if you’ve done all of that and everything checks out I bet it’s the step down regulator installed to the gas inlet. Pool guy says “that’s what your plumber installed, you need to get them out here to replace it because it’s bad”. Called the plumber we used that we’ve known for years. Told him what the pool guy said and he chuckles and says “I’ve been doing this almost 40 years and I’ve never had one of those go bad, but sure I’ll come swap it out Sunday or Monday and if it’s that regulator I’ll refund the entire project”.

TLDR; nobody knows why the fuck my heater isn’t working and I can’t get any leg in my hot tub until it is. Furk

Wth.... The code is for the Air Flow Switch? Why are they looking at the gas? Since new unit my money have the air tubes been checked to make sure they didn't come off on shipping or install?  This video shows everything in play on this issue.

https://youtu.be/hUHzgHrc9G0

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Warranty already been there?

1 minute ago, Poolflood said:

Warranty already been there?

That’s who was out yesterday. It is still under warranty so when my plumber comes out tomorrow or Monday and verifies it isn’t the regulator I am telling them to bring me a new unit. 

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Wth.... The code is for the Air Flow Switch? Why are they looking at the gas? Since new unit my money have the air tubes been checked to make sure they didn't come off on shipping or install?  This video shows everything in play on this issue.

https://youtu.be/hUHzgHrc9G0

Thanks Monkey I’ll check into that when I get home tomorrow

4 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

That’s who was out yesterday. It is still under warranty so when my plumber comes out tomorrow or Monday and verifies it isn’t the regulator I am telling them to bring me a new unit. 

Thanks Monkey I’ll check into that when I get home tomorrow

The warranty guy couldn't adjust the regulator?  Did he hook up manometer? 

11 hours ago, Poolflood said:

The warranty guy couldn't adjust the regulator?  Did he hook up manometer? 

He did and he said the pressure builds and then when it opens it drops and doesn’t recover? Said it’s the step down regulator. Plumber will be here this afternoon to confirm or dispel the bullshit

11 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

He did and he said the pressure builds and then when it opens it drops and doesn’t recover? Said it’s the step down regulator. Plumber will be here this afternoon to confirm or dispel the bullshit

Regulators (at least NG regulators) are very easy to adjust.  The warranty station prob knows how but outside of what he's allowed to do.