Yes: Pools are worth it....

2 hours ago, Poolflood said:

Regulators (at least NG regulators) are very easy to adjust.  The warranty station prob knows how but outside of what he's allowed to do.

so I’m home now and decided to check it all out myself before plumber gets here. Regulator is open as wide as it will go. Closed it all the way and then opened it halfway and then a little more and still no dice; ERR IGN code again.

Took the heater covers off. Plumber shows up, takes a look at it and goes “well shit there’s the problem, it’s already got a regulator.” So he pulled the step down regulator off and plumbed the line straight into the orifice. BOOM! We’re cooking with gas. Now I’m at work for two days, so no leg in the hot tub until Thursday.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 12:37 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

Took the heater covers off. Plumber shows up, takes a look at it and goes “well shit there’s the problem, it’s already got a regulator.” So he pulled the step down regulator off and plumbed the line straight into the orifice. BOOM! We’re cooking with gas. Now I’m at work for two days, so no leg in the hot tub until Thursday.

When do you get the refund?  I was going to guess regulator but was going in a different direction like there was a NG regulator on it instead of propane.

• 2 weeks later...

Man my project has been FOREVER slow. Getting close to done though. Putting green just went in, structure done, appliances in, now we wait on low voltage lighting, AV equipment install, stone work touch up, landscaping and grading the yard, gutters and fixing a leak in the skimmer basket throats. Signed the contract a year ago, broke ground 7 months ago. So fucking slow.

ae7935f5d253e76ddf6771e0124843ff.jpg
335a18251be41281296399f19f565721.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 3

I miss having a pool.  Probably will never own one again.  Really enjoyed geeking out with chemicals and trying combinations, including borax and other chemicals to improve the feel of the pool.  Had both chlorine and salt pools.  

The guy who bought my house immediately hired a pool service.  Some people don’t like maintaining pools but it was pretty zen like for  me, except when that yellow Austin pollen was falling in the pool.

• Like 2

I miss having a pool.  Probably will never own one again.  Really enjoyed geeking out with chemicals and trying combinations, including borax and other chemicals to improve the feel of the pool.  Had both chlorine and salt pools.  

The guy who bought my house immediately hired a pool service.  Some people don’t like maintaining pools but it was pretty zen like for  me, except when that yellow Austin pollen was falling in the pool.

Agree. It’s like admiring your lawn…love just looking at a crystal clear pool and knowing you keep it that way.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

Plumbing a few pipes and programming the controller and making the controller Wi-Fi work. 

We always used Hines for our pools with decent results, but I've (happily) been out of the pool game for almost 10 years and have no clue about controllers and wi-fi stuff.  Mechanical timer boxes were more my speed! Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m still a pool noob and thinking ahead to this cold weather incoming … anyone thinking of preemptively draining equipment (pump, filter, heater) in case of wide spread and long lasting power outages? If the juice stays on I’m not worried not matter how cold it gets. But, I’m still a little skeptical our fearless state leaders have done enough to ensure the grid holds up. Interested to hear what others are thinking.

I’m still a pool noob and thinking ahead to this cold weather incoming … anyone thinking of preemptively draining equipment (pump, filter, heater) in case of wide spread and long lasting power outages? If the juice stays on I’m not worried not matter how cold it gets. But, I’m still a little skeptical our fearless state leaders have done enough to ensure the grid holds up. Interested to hear what others are thinking.

If your gonna be outta town sure , if not why not wait doesn’t take long to drain
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I run my pump at 1200 rpm 24/7, except when it cranks up higher for the cleaner.  Will that be enough in a hard freeze or should I ramp it up to something higher. 

1700 or so is half speed.  Should go to at least that.  But the freeze protect should take to that anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm in north Houston and we will have freezing temperatures from Thursday evening until about Saturday at noon. Then it will dip again to below freezing each night. Local pool guy recommended draining the pumps, filter, heater and check valves to save on energy, and avoid doing it in the middle of the night if the grid does falter.  I do have a backup generator and whole house feed for it, so it can power everything and takes about 10 minutes to get running, so I'm not too worried about running the pumps for a couple days straight. 

I'm more worried about the sprinklers and water lines than the pool stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

PSA for those of you who use bleach for sanitization.

I recently discovered that there are pool supply outfits that sell liquid chlorine (and acid) in returnable bottles they refill. 

I've been using Texas Pool Supply (recently moved from S First/71 to near 35/71) in S Austin.. It's not a retail place and I had to open a commercial account, but they haven't given me any trouble about it so far.  It's just under $5 a gallon for 12% bleach. So far I've gone through about 24 gallons and it all was pretty fresh. 4 1-gallon bottles come in a plastic crate so they're easier to transport than individual bottles as well. 

You can find other potential dealers here: https://hasapool.com/dealer-locator/

On 12/17/2022 at 6:10 PM, Not that Bob said:

SIAP, anyone recommend pool repair person in Austin?

don't know if you still need a rec...but we used Reliable Pools off Far West for over a decade, including fixing everything from the 2021 freeze. very responsive and their techs were always really knowledgeable and helpful, never tried to upsell anything. def recommend!

https://www.reliablepoolcareaustin.com/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/30/2022 at 1:43 PM, BillyBadAss said:

PSA for those of you who use bleach for sanitization.

I recently discovered that there are pool supply outfits that sell liquid chlorine (and acid) in returnable bottles they refill. 

I've been using Texas Pool Supply (recently moved from S First/71 to near 35/71) in S Austin.. It's not a retail place and I had to open a commercial account, but they haven't given me any trouble about it so far.  It's just under $5 a gallon for 12% bleach. So far I've gone through about 24 gallons and it all was pretty fresh. 4 1-gallon bottles come in a plastic crate so they're easier to transport than individual bottles as well. 

You can find other potential dealers here: https://hasapool.com/dealer-locator/

I found them a few months ago and actually opened an account. I didn't know they moved!  They originally sold me just regular bottles of chlorine, but I guess I need to ask for the returnable ones?

42 minutes ago, fluff said:

I found them a few months ago and actually opened an account. I didn't know they moved!  They originally sold me just regular bottles of chlorine, but I guess I need to ask for the returnable ones?

Yeah, they just moved a few weeks back or so. And yes, ask for the returnable ones - you pay like a dollar or two deposit the first time on the bottles. They don't always have them, so might be worth calling ahead - I've only been using them a couple of months and a couple of times they've been out.. Hopefully they are more reliable in the warmer months.  But so far it beats driving to different Walmarts and hoping they are in stock, and then filling up the recycle bin with tons of plastic. 

6 minutes ago, troph said:

Not sure if pools are worth it, don’t hire and don’t let people you care about hire da Vinci that’s all I’ll say publicly. Such a god damned headache. 

Sorry you had bad experience.   Pools are worth it.  Dm me if you need assistance.   May be able to help.  

I had a bad algae situation hit me when our pump stopped due to breaker issue. I ended up nearly draining the pool using a sump pump to get the green/black water all out.  There are small patches of algae still on the walls that will probably come out with brushing.  I'm contemplating using my pressure washer to clean the surface, but wanted to see what other surly pool owners do. I've got a medium duty washer that seems perfect for this job.  If you guys do use a pressure washer, do you use any cleaning solutions or just straight water?  Your experience is appreciated! 

10 hours ago, Delta Charlie said:

I had a bad algae situation hit me when our pump stopped due to breaker issue. I ended up nearly draining the pool using a sump pump to get the green/black water all out.  There are small patches of algae still on the walls that will probably come out with brushing.  I'm contemplating using my pressure washer to clean the surface, but wanted to see what other surly pool owners do. I've got a medium duty washer that seems perfect for this job.  If you guys do use a pressure washer, do you use any cleaning solutions or just straight water?  Your experience is appreciated! 

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

Power washer.

And I got bad news for you, once u get that algae, you will always be battling it.

Do this quickly - you don't want your pool sitting without water for long.  The shell can float.  It's rare but devastating.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Anyone got an electician rec?
My pool electrician pretty much retired.
I need a couple light troubleshot/replaced and maybe checkout my Pentair intellitouch system.
Im in round rock

Just now, Poolflood said:

Where are you?

So i dont read good... I'll reach out tomorrow for round rock.