Yes: Pools are worth it....

On 1/14/2023 at 6:01 PM, Your Mom said:

You got a shed to lock them in? 

Nah. But they could probably lose them somewhere out there … 

0D4CB956-E3A8-4E2C-BFE1-3228969037A4.jpeg

3 years in the making, we are inside 2 weeks from moving in. pool deck railing should be installed the next couple of days, water needs to be turned on, better locks situation on the house, a garage door, and then it’s just punch list and landscaping. 

still a hard no for our pool builder.  We have a leak, they refused to put even a brown coat on the exterior, the pool drained completely the day after we filled it, they didn’t plug the drain, we had to redo the stucco, the refill valve and electrical were all supposed to be inside the slab but “they forgot” so we had to engineer our own solutions and the refill piping is unfortunately on the outside visible. So annoying. I won’t even get into the fact they missed the elevation, just poured the damn thing without going off the bench mark from the street above.  That was fun to raise the pool by 18 inches or so (at our cost).  The pool will be beautiful but that’s because of the view, there are so many fucked up details here. Hard pass on our builder, buyer beware. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

50 minutes ago, troph said:

Nah. But they could probably lose them somewhere out there … 

0D4CB956-E3A8-4E2C-BFE1-3228969037A4.jpeg

3 years in the making, we are inside 2 weeks from moving in. pool deck railing should be installed the next couple of days, water needs to be turned on, better locks situation on the house, a garage door, and then it’s just punch list and landscaping. 

still a hard no for our pool builder.  We have a leak, they refused to put even a brown coat on the exterior, the pool drained completely the day after we filled it, they didn’t plug the drain, we had to redo the stucco, the refill valve and electrical were all supposed to be inside the slab but “they forgot” so we had to engineer our own solutions and the refill piping is unfortunately on the outside visible. So annoying. I won’t even get into the fact they missed the elevation, just poured the damn thing without going off the bench mark from the street above.  That was fun to raise the pool by 18 inches or so (at our cost).  The pool will be beautiful but that’s because of the view, there are so many fucked up details here. Hard pass on our builder, buyer beware. 

Holy fuck.  Went back to page 11 for your first drawings... and y'all had previous relationship...  Last I really dealt with them was about 17.  Phenomenal view. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Poolflood said:

Holy fuck.  Went back to page 11 for your first drawings... and y'all had previous relationship...  Last I really dealt with them was about 17.  Phenomenal view. 

They’ve built pools for her for all her builds since 2010.  This is the last one.

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

Damn troph. Sounds like every pool builder everywhere. Scum, almost all of em.
Beautiful view man

I try not to resemble that remark.  Covid was a blessing and a curse for the business.   Now that the market is softening more are going to have financial difficulties. Many have closed doors, had BBB status revoked or gone to jail.  

Most try to do right.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got home tonight and noticed my pump making a lot of racket. Awesome, low 20’s tonight, steady freezing rain, and a pump that might be going out. Cleaned everything out, backwashed the filter, and set it to medium speed instead of variable and will hope it holds up. Also ran the heater for a while to get the water temp up just in case.

This winter has been brutal on my fairly new pool. During the epic freeze it popped the decking up around one side of the shallow end when water froze under the travertine. It settled to about a .5 inch or less difference in height at this point.

Snowmagddeon broke every thing on my pool. Been replacing everything. Now I’ve been sweating bullets for two days since the current electrical outage and below freezing temps threaten to do the same. That’s it. Please recommend a company who you trust to put in a natural gas generator and/ or who to avoid. 

Secondly can you recommend a company to insulate pipes. It’s a unique pool with almost no plumbing underground. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

Having a swim party Monday. I was planning on starting the heater on Friday but looks like we’re about to see a big drop in temps. Should I start it today while it might be a little warmer before it drops to the 30s at night?

Probably safe to start Friday.  Will prob be to temp by Sunday.  But then again size does matter.  Both of the heater and pool.

Pool work still not finished. Hey pool builder there’s a leak, they said ok let’s fill it up anyway. Once pool filled, hey pool builder, there’s a leak. They said, okay we need to drain the pool. Ok pool builder, you’ll need to pay for water to refill. They said, no, no, the contract says the water fill is your cost. 

they know we are on rainwater collection, so pool water to fill is hauled in. They keep saying let us know when you’re hooked up to the water we will fix the leak.  Idiots.

there’s more but that’s the “funniest” DaVinci  pools contractors and project managers are incompetent.  Buyer beware. 

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, kmac30 said:

Having a swim party Monday. I was planning on starting the heater on Friday but looks like we’re about to see a big drop in temps. Should I start it today while it might be a little warmer before it drops to the 30s at night?

This calculator is about what I was seeing when heating my pool during a prior Thanskgiving: 

https://poolchemicalcalculator.com/Pool-Heat-Time-Calculator.html

I have ~23k Gal pool and 440k heater and saw roughly 2 - 2.5 degree/hr rise in temps.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, troph said:

Pool work still not finished. Hey pool builder there’s a leak, they said ok let’s fill it up anyway. Once pool filled, hey pool builder, there’s a leak. They said, okay we need to drain the pool. Ok pool builder, you’ll need to pay for water to refill. They said, no, no, the contract says the water fill is your cost. 

they know we are on rainwater collection, so pool water to fill is hauled in. They keep saying let us know when you’re hooked up to the water we will fix the leak.  Idiots.

there’s more but that’s the “funniest” DaVinci  pools contractors and project managers are incompetent.  Buyer beware. 

Do they have any idea where the leak is?  Have they put the plumbing under pressure,  dove the pool to leak test drains, etc?  First step is having a leak detection co do that.  They also have listening devices to get an idea of where a leak might be if it's under deck, etc.

And there's a lot in a contract that a pool builder stipulates they won't do, but jhfc.

Edited by Poolflood
Jhfc

2 hours ago, Poolflood said:

Do they have any idea where the leak is?  Have they put the plumbing under pressure,  dove the pool to leak test drains, etc?  First step is having a leak detection co do that.  They also have listening devices to get an idea of where a leak might be if it's under deck, etc.

And there's a lot in a contract that a pool builder stipulates they won't do, but jhfc.

it's around a light, yes we all know where it is, we knew the first time they filled the pool and it drained over night because they didn't plug the drain pipe, remember that? 

There's an o-ring that needs to be replaced on a pump valve too, we keep asking, they send their owner set up crew to handle a punch list of items 4-5 deep, some minor like the stickers still on the floor valve cover, the big one in the deepest part of the pool, a few other items.  Anyway, the guy shows up with no tools, pops on a loose jet for the infloor cleaner, then says he can't do anything else he doesn't have his tools.  He tried to say he couldn't do anything he didn't have a screwdriver to access the panel to turn the pumps off to put the jet back in.  I had to hand him a screwdriver.  he replaced the jet and said he had to go.

still waiting.

this industry is terribad (not all builders I know) but Davinci is the worst.

Edited by troph

Probably safe to start Friday.  Will prob be to temp by Sunday.  But then again size does matter.  Both of the heater and pool.

What I’m really wondering, it’s pretty warm out today but the temps are going to drop for the next few days. I’m wondering if I start it up now when the water temp is, say 65, it will be quicker than if it’s at 55. Once temp is met it will just have to maintain the higher temp. Or is it all the same because I’ll be fighting the lower temps?

What should I set it at? 80?

3 hours ago, kmac30 said:

What I’m really wondering, it’s pretty warm out today but the temps are going to drop for the next few days. I’m wondering if I start it up now when the water temp is, say 65, it will be quicker than if it’s at 55. Once temp is met it will just have to maintain the higher temp. Or is it all the same because I’ll be fighting the lower temps?

80 is the minimum but I like more like 85F when it's still a bit cool outside.  You never said how big your pool and heater is.  Mine is 13K gallon and 400k heater which heats 2.5 to 3 degrees an hour so only need 10 hours to get it nice and comfortable.  Heat it the day before your party and have a little alone time in it, then the next morning it should only take a few hours to get it back.

6 hours ago, kmac30 said:

The heater will pretty much run when you start heating it to keep it heated until you stop heating the pool. There is no benefit to heating it early other than knowing it will be ready on time and work as expected. Downside is you are paying for that many more hours of heating.  Since first time doing it I'd give yourself some extra hours just to be safe, and to make sure no water flow issues that might kick heater off (unlikely, but clear the pump basket filters just to be safe as hate to have heating kick off on say Monday morning) but no reason to start it on Friday IMO

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, kmac30 said:

All the pollen is in my pool. Cleaned it out. There are about 5 stains of different sizes on the bottom/steps. It looks like a single thing landed and somehow stained. How do I clean that off?

If doesn't go away on a few days, I've had luck with these StainErasure. Some stains doesn't seem to work on, but many others worked great.

StainEraser 11001 The Pool Stain Eraser https://a.co/d/g9W2iWv

Haalp!   I've drained my pool.  I have 4 gal of liquid chlorine and 2 gal of muratic acid.  I've been told by my local pool store person to spray the acid on the pool plaster (1:`10 w/ Water).  Let it set for a few minutes. Scub and wash off with water.  Repeat with chlorine. Scrub. Wash.

backstory:   I've been fighting green algae  for the past six months.  Gave up treating this winter with the idea that I'd empty and start over after the oak bloom.  Which is where I'm at now.  Pools ARE worth it! 

Edited by BottleRocket

7 hours ago, BottleRocket said:

Haalp!   I've drained my pool.  I have 4 gal of liquid chlorine and 2 gal of muratic acid.  I've been told by my local pool store person to spray the acid on the pool plaster (1:`10 w/ Water).  Let it set for a few minutes. Scub and wash off with water.  Repeat with chlorine. Scrub. Wash.

backstory:   I've been fighting green algae  for the past six months.  Gave up treating this winter with the idea that I'd empty and start over after the oak bloom.  Which is where I'm at now.  Pools ARE worth it! 

Ok.  Lots of variables.  

I'll dm you in a few.

You want to avoid bleach and acid mixing.

Look up mustard gas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, milkman said:

Where does everyone store there pool chemicals? I have had mine in the garage but recently realized this isn't a great idea!

Houston area, I store mine in 30gal deck boxes. Acid on one side of house, chlorine/other on the other side of house. M. Acid will last a long time, chlorine I'd buy every couple weeks or monthly if using liquid. If using bagged Cal-Hypo style, I stored that in laundry room or garage as didn't require the ventilation.  They have locks in need to keep kids/dogs out too.

image.png.a704e53de6fb5d124660fe102aa4998d.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Just be aware if opened or doesn't 100% seal it will rust things very quickly. Quick google will show the results people have had. Doesn't take much and doesn't take long (days)

Good to know. I’ve had other bottles of acid in there for years in case I get an oil drip in driveway, etc.   but will check on it. Currently sitting in a 5 gal UT bucket.   I have one of those brown chests posted up thread but it’s got everything from brushes to vac to floaties in it. Don’t really want it in there, and definitely don’t want a while other box. 

On 3/18/2023 at 3:38 PM, troph said:

Welp.

Need a new contractor for several hot tub issues and the auto filler.  

Austin area recs?

left a scathing review on google, day later received an unsolicited LinkedIn message asking for help with them.  Nuts.

@Poolflood got a rec? Might have another leak, plus the other stuff. Ugh.