Yes: Pools are worth it....

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I've been letting the tablets lie on the spots for ~12 hours, then brushing immediately after that, and moving the tab over to another spot and repeating. 

I don't think that will work. You need to rough up black algae to kill it. So rubbing the tablets vigorously against the spot will open it up and allow the chlorine to penetrate it. It may sound kind of difficult but it really isn't. I think it is much, much easier and much, much more effective than what you described.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 5/15/2023 at 11:30 AM, HiggyBaby said:

My fellow Plano pool owners , sorry to be the bearer of bad news.f37ff6aac07a61597f4246dcd26eb885.jpg
The local pool supply place has gone to the dark side

I drove by there the other day, I hate this.  I've always gotten such good service.

• Hook 'Em 1

Any advice/recommendations for pool remodel/updates in the Austin area?  My pool was built late 80s/early 90s and was pretty basic even for back then.  We are looking to add a hot tub, a tanning shelf, and a covered outdoor living/kitchen; we also want to resurface the pool and decking, and replace the pump/equipment and its house. 

I have no clue how wide to prep my butthole. I am assuming it will be less than an entire new pool which I’ve heard would run $150k, and I’d be shocked if we can get what we want for less than $50k, but that’s still an insane range.  I also have no idea how long a project like that would take and when is the best time to get bids and schedule the work.

4 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Any advice/recommendations for pool remodel/updates in the Austin area?  My pool was built late 80s/early 90s and was pretty basic even for back then.  We are looking to add a hot tub, a tanning shelf, and a covered outdoor living/kitchen; we also want to resurface the pool and decking, and replace the pump/equipment and its house. 

I have no clue how wide to prep my butthole. I am assuming it will be less than an entire new pool which I’ve heard would run $150k, and I’d be shocked if we can get what we want for less than $50k, but that’s still an insane range.  I also have no idea how long a project like that would take and when is the best time to get bids and schedule the work.

My neighbor got a quote to have their 1x1 tile replaced on top 2’ of hot tub; it was $4k.   I would guess 80k or so, if you go cheap on your kitchen.  That’s kind of a loaded question, same neighbor had >50k just in his kitchen/addition when they built it out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

What you are describing to me is basically a new pool build with having to deal with existing one. Wouldn't be surprised if you are quoted same or more than new install.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

What you are describing to me is basically a new pool build with having to deal with existing one. Wouldn't be surprised if you are quoted same or more than new install.

I didn’t want to go there, but had the same feeling. I’m going to a get together with a guy who’s done (added hot tub, steps) it today, and will ask.  

I have a Hayward pool filter and need to clean it today. First time doing this and trying to find good videos but keep finding videos with really old equipment. What do I need to know?

Release air valve , open filter hose em down , reinstall and bleed the air out

2 hours ago, kmac30 said:

I have a Hayward pool filter and need to clean it today. First time doing this and trying to find good videos but keep finding videos with really old equipment. What do I need to know?

one like this?  (get one of these nozzles too: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3T49YZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 )

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

Do y'all know of any good pool repair companies in Austin? I hired Patriot who gave me an estimate and then they came out and said that they couldn't replace my salt cell with another one that I owned, that I needed a new intellichem system for $3600 and that my filters couldn't be cleaned and I needed new ones for about $1400. I came home to find that they broke my flex hose which costs about $60.00. So I am not so interested in using them. I replaced my salt cell and purchased filters on Amazon for $220 and installed them.

Fixing the Intellichem is another story though. I have a new one but I couldn't even figure out how to open it up to connect power. I assume it has some adult proofing device and YouTube didn't have anything. And when I get it connected, I am not sure the tanks are working properly so they might have to be replaced also. And I would use the same electrodes, but if there is a problem with those, I wouldn't know how to diagnose it. Anyway, I haven't found a pool repair company in Austin that is worth a damn. I would love to be able to get someone out there on a Friday so that I can go over everything comprehensively and finally get the pool working the way it should.

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Do y'all know of any good pool repair companies in Austin? I hired Patriot who gave me an estimate and then they came out and said that they couldn't replace my salt cell with another one that I owned, that I needed a new intellichem system for $3600 and that my filters couldn't be cleaned and I needed new ones for about $1400. I came home to find that they broke my flex hose which costs about $60.00. So I am not so interested in using them. I replaced my salt cell and purchased filters on Amazon for $220 and installed them.

Fixing the Intellichem is another story though. I have a new one but I couldn't even figure out how to open it up to connect power. I assume it has some adult proofing device and YouTube didn't have anything. And when I get it connected, I am not sure the tanks are working properly so they might have to be replaced also. And I would use the same electrodes, but if there is a problem with those, I wouldn't know how to diagnose it. Anyway, I haven't found a pool repair company in Austin that is worth a damn. I would love to be able to get someone out there on a Friday so that I can go over everything comprehensively and finally get the pool working the way it should.

I got it open so I guess I am fixing it myself after work. I would still like to find a repair company in Austin that can actually repair stuff, though.

Broke down and bought a dolphin e20 and will be retiring the Polaris. Will report back on how much I love a cleaning robot vs pressure-side Polaris.

Robot works a lot better than the old Polaris. Broke down and bought the 3 year asurian insurance plan alongside it so for sure I’ll get 3 years out of this thing. Planning to just leave it in the water and let it run daily but working on a way to keep the control panel out of the sun and protected from rain. Overall, happy with this as a solution.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/21/2023 at 5:40 PM, Bevo said:

On 5/28/2023 at 11:26 PM, williemackgarza said:

I to would like a good pool repair company rec. Need some work done on a few lights, actuator and intellicenter items.

we're not in Austin anymore but we always had really great service from Reliable Pool Care  

https://www.reliablepoolcareaustin.com/

the same tech (Larry) took care of all our issues for years, so he really got to know our pool and could address sticky problems. we recommended them to the folks that bought our house last year. they were super clutch after the big '21 freeze, as our shit got completely effed up - they were at the house within two days of the thaw figuring out everything that was needed. 

anyways... if y'all are still looking i highly recommend them. 

• Like 1

So....we may be in the market for a pool.

Any recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fiberglass pools seemed to be the road to go down until I saw installation is practically double what concrete would cost.

We're still in the early stages of thinking about a pool but I do my due diligence before making a 30K "investment".

Any Surly help would be greatly appreciated, motherfuckers.

Edited by Davis Lane

On 6/5/2023 at 11:08 PM, Nonbryan said:

Any recs on a robotic vacuum?  Are the battery operated robots any good? 

Not heard of a batter operated one.  Mine plugs into the outlet I have near the pool and is tethered to the combo control panel/cart

• Hook 'Em 1

What is the general consensus on this thread....do most people maintain their own pool or do most pay a service?

I used a service for about 6 months after we built back in 2014. Paid attention to all they were doing and how they did it then have done it myself since
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/3/2023 at 2:21 PM, Davis Lane said:

So....we may be in the market for a pool.

Any recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fiberglass pools seemed to be the road to go down until I saw installation is practically double what concrete would cost.

We're still in the early stages of thinking about a pool but I do my due diligence before making a 30K "investment".

Any Surly help would be greatly appreciated, motherfuckers.

If your username is accurate we are neighbors.  And in that area $75k was the absolute bare-bones cheapest 15x30 rectangle basic gunnite pool with no extra decking I could find a year and a half ago.  About $10k more when we added 15x18 ft of decking on the side.  You’d get hung up on if you mentioned $30k for any project with any local builder. 

What is the general consensus on this thread....do most people maintain their own pool or do most pay a service?
I have a small veteran company that services my pool for $150 a month and have used them for 3+ yrs now (NW Florida.) They've never raised the prices and are genuinely good people. I travel a lot as a defense business consultant, so servicing the pool on my own is not an option.

Put my pool in last year and I’ve handled it on my own. Last year it was no big deal. I’ve been unusually busy this spring, so it’s been a tough start. I should get back on track after this weekend and get into a good summer groove.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Your Mom said:

If your username is accurate we are neighbors.  And in that area $75k was the absolute bare-bones cheapest 15x30 rectangle basic gunnite pool with no extra decking I could find a year and a half ago.  About $10k more when we added 15x18 ft of decking on the side.  You’d get hung up on if you mentioned $30k for any project with any local builder. 

30K is starting cost for a fiberglass pool is what I meant.

18 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

I use the TroubleFreePool "method" - and maintain it myself.

If you have salt water, for sure maintain it yourself. 

If you are using chlorine, like me, it's kind of a PITA to source/buy liquid chlorine and mess with it every day, but I still wouldn't pay anyone else to do it.  I put in a liquid chlorine pump to partially automate it but I'm tempted to switch to salt at some point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

I have a small veteran company that services my pool for $150 a month and have used them for 3+ yrs now (NW Florida.) They've never raised the prices and are genuinely good people. I travel a lot as a defense business consultant, so servicing the pool on my own is not an option.

$150 buck is GREAT!  I'm in the Austin area and the general consensus has been about $250-$300/mo.

On 6/7/2023 at 9:45 PM, Nonbryan said:

I maintain it myself.  I have a salt water pool and a robot vacuum cleaner. 

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

So I have the robot in and things are going well, going to check in the pool and the black algae is back…it’s in the plaster. I think I’m going to have to replace the plaster to get rid of it. I put 5lb of shock in two days ago will go back and dump another 5lb today

69682765ca094f75eac0bc80a40438a0.jpg
b55cb873ff709816a1c7586dfba0bc5a.jpg

RIP

4 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

So I have the robot in and things are going well, going to check in the pool and the black algae is back…it’s in the plaster. I think I’m going to have to replace the plaster to get rid of it. I put 5lb of shock in two days ago will go back and dump another 5lb today

69682765ca094f75eac0bc80a40438a0.jpg
b55cb873ff709816a1c7586dfba0bc5a.jpg

Have you tried taking some tri-chlorine pucks and physically scrubbing the algae with the puck? That's only thing I've seen work consistently.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Lou said:

I maintain it myself.  I have a salt water pool and a robot vacuum cleaner. 

Same

5 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I was hoping by draining it, bleaching the crap out of it, and patching the plaster, that I could get one more year before shelling out to resurface. It’s 25 yrs old but still I don’t want to pay out 6k for someone else’s pool…

2 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Would have preferred “5lb of shock will kill it, you are all good”

You probably need to calculate this out.  Do you have a chlorine test that uses the powder?  Do you know how many gallons your pool is?  Do you know the amount of CYA in the water?  You can use those values to determine what level you need to get chlorine to and how many lbs of shock that will take.

You can only really beat down black algae with alternating approaches of physical means (metal brush scrub, power wash) and blasting with chlorine.  And then dumping out the filter.

But it's not worth spending $10-15k on.  Remember that the algae actually exists everywhere.  Not just the plaster, but the water, pipes, filter, etc.

Just make a habit of power washing your plaster once a year.  And it's up to you if you want to do that with an empty or full pool.  Just make sure to follow it up with a blasting of chlorine, and then filter dump.