Yes: Pools are worth it....

14 minutes ago, TexasEd said:
  • Why are you getting such a cheap pool?  :)
  • Chlorine kills covid
  • Kids will have an excuse to have their friends over and you will know where they are.  My 9th grader is having her NYE party with a few friends in our backyard on the new patio adjacent to our pool.  They love using that patio to do their tic tok and just play music and have fun.
  • I have been using my spa to help heal my shoulder after rotator cuff.
  • At the rate of inflation by the time the pool is built it will be worth 100K but the cash will still only be worth $75K
  • Do you like watching your wife in a bathing suit top? I do and she invites friends.  Seriously, having friends over with is a huge part of it for me.  There are just fewer opportunities to get together these days and in your back yard is one of the few.

Because I'm cheap and have 2 kids that will be in college soon...  

I see $100k on a pool as 10% down payment on a $1mm house or business. I also see $100k as half of $200k

Purely financial. I'm trying to transition from poor to wealthy, so while a pool is in the lifestyle, it's not on the safety path and whatnot.

On the flip side, if I get the pool, I'm have to find a way to make more money, so...

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I see $100k on a pool as 10% down payment on a $1mm house or business. I also see $100k as half of $200k

Purely financial. I'm trying to transition from poor to wealthy, so while a pool is in the lifestyle, it's not on the safety path and whatnot.

On the flip side, if I get the pool, I'm have to find a way to make more money, so...

Sell current house and buy a house that already has a pool.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Think of all the BS they try to sell you on a timeshare except the part that you go to different places and then realize you can sell the house and pool later to get out of it and it might actually appreciate.

I get what you are saying.  3 years ago I could not have built mine but got to a point where I could and it made sense to do it.  I also pulled equity from the house to do it and my cash flow on the house is only an extra 80 per month.

33 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Think of all the BS they try to sell you on a timeshare except the part that you go to different places and then realize you can sell the house and pool later to get out of it and it might actually appreciate.

I get what you are saying.  3 years ago I could not have built mine but got to a point where I could and it made sense to do it.  I also pulled equity from the house to do it and my cash flow on the house is only an extra 80 per month.

In my case, it's not a cashflow issue, it's an opportunity cost. I'd rather buy a house nearby with a pool, but that does become a cashflow management issue (I'd pay 10x what I bought my house for 12 years ago, and the property tax, too.)

@Snacks so true or not, all I ever heard growing up was a pool never really added much value when you go to sell. Started following houses in my immediate area, about 25% of my neighborhood, sale for a year.  There was a noticeable difference in price between common homes.  Enough to completely pay for the pool, no. But a very sizable amount of it.  I hope you gave our builder a call after your PM. If your plans haven’t changed much, it should be considerably less than 75k (unless he got you for location or something) 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

@Snacks so true or not, all I ever heard growing up was a pool never really added much value when you go to sell. Started following houses in my immediate area, about 25% of my neighborhood, sale for a year.  There was a noticeable difference in price between common homes.  Enough to completely pay for the pool, no. But a very sizable amount of it.  I hope you gave our builder a call after your PM. If your plans haven’t changed much, it should be considerably less than 75k (unless he got you for location or something) 

I haven't called him yet. I was working on something else for a bit, but I'm turning back to the pool, so I will call and see what comes of it.

14 minutes ago, Okie State said:

My BIL said people were paying $100K over asking just to get a pool around him. Seemed crazy to me. He's putting one in now.

In my immediate area (same hood, on my little side) it looked like it was about a ~60-65k delta.  I paid mid-70’s, but will be 80-ish by time I finish kitchen.  I didn’t really recall but assume most of the ones I was watching had small kitchens with them as most around here seem to. 

5 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I haven't called him yet. I was working on something else for a bit, but I'm turning back to the pool, so I will call and see what comes of it.

We ended up pretty happy overall. Did what they said, did it quick, and moved on.   Considering we had bids that were almost 60% more for the exact same plan…I like where we landed.  

In my immediate area (same hood, on my little side) it looked like it was about a ~60-65k delta.  I paid mid-70’s, but will be 80-ish by time I finish kitchen.  I didn’t really recall but assume most of the ones I was watching had small kitchens with them as most around here seem to.

80-ish seems like a good deal for a pool and kitchen. My Dad paid over 100 for that pre-Covid. I don't really know how much any of it should cost though and I'm sure there are a ton of variables.

1 minute ago, Okie State said:

80-ish seems like a good deal for a pool and kitchen. My Dad paid over 100 for that pre-Covid. I don't really know how much any of it should cost though and I'm sure there are a ton of variables.

I normalized (everything I could, some were cagey on that) and it was all same equipment. Contractors all did well. To be fair, the highest guy was a big name and the first thing he said was, “I am going to be high”.  My didn’t like that and went on a mission at that point.  I was a bit worried but poolflood said dude was legit, and been in business for decades so gave him a shot and it worked out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Snacks said:

Like most things they are an f-ing waste of money and there is no real justification. I said something to my wife about how little ours got used again this year, and her response was something to the effect of it looks pretty though. However, it is nice to have it those times you want it. We definitely use it way more than the kids use it and should use it more once the rest of the backyard is finished at some point in the future when our contractor decides to show up and get done.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Is your pool outside?  The sun give you free UV. (Yes it is a waste)

UV sanitations systems don't work that way, there is a reason the light units are sealed off. Don't think you would want the sanitation level UV wavelengths hitting you... and they aren't a waste, they are just a different way to sanitize. You will need way less chlorine with them, will end up with a cleaner pool but will need to replace the UV lights periodically.

Much like SWG vs chlorine, it's a preference. You builder will make more money but your chlorine supplier will make less.

51 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

That looks great Brew!  What are the dimensions on the covered area? 

Roughly 36x18, it’s a little larger than that so that the pattern on the pool deck could be carried inside and it would be solid travertine pieces all the way around the edge. Pool ended up at 42-44 feet I think. 

We couldn’t find shake shingles anywhere on this side of the country, so the shingles will have to be replaced once they become a little more available.

• Hook 'Em 1

UV sanitations systems don't work that way, there is a reason the light units are sealed off. Don't think you would want the sanitation level UV wavelengths hitting you... and they aren't a waste, they are just a different way to sanitize. You will need way less chlorine with them, will end up with a cleaner pool but will need to replace the UV lights periodically.
Much like SWG vs chlorine, it's a preference. You builder will make more money but your chlorine supplier will make less.

1200 bucks buys a lot of chlorine

2 hours ago, Poolflood said:

Personally I'm a fan of borates.  Unfortunately only one brand is readily available to consumers and its expensive.   I'm not a fan of TFP but hear they have a borate "recipe"

You use the correct ratio of 20 mule team Borax and Acid.

I plan to do this after my pool is a year old.  

Edit:  Here is the article  https://www.troublefreepool.com/wiki/index.php?title=Borates_in_pool#How_do_Borates_Affect_a_SWG.3F

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

I bet that hot tub was 20k of it.  Why don’t more people do a separate above-ground hot tub off to the side? Just aesthetics? The hot tubs you can buy for 4-10k look a lot more comfortable than a gunite one.  My pool guy says they can’t build one that competes with the above-ground models, other than in looks. 

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

I bet that hot tub was 20k of it.  Why don’t more people do a separate above-ground hot tub off to the side? Just aesthetics? The hot tubs you can buy for 4-10k look a lot more comfortable than a gunite one.  My pool guy says they can’t build one that competes with the above-ground models, other than in looks. 

Agree on both points.  For us it was also that I have one thing to take care of instead of two.  I think my wife would have been happier with separate now after the fact.  She complains that the built in spa is not comfortable enough.

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

separate and above ground hot tubs look tacky as fuck. a pool with a built in spa is just so much nicer.

to be honest, that 100k is less than what i thought the pools were going for nowadays.

While I agree most "add-on" hot tubs can look tacky, some builder have done a pretty good job of making the combo look appealing.  For as often as we use ours year round I kinda wish I would have investigated that option. Would be nice to have ready to go more quickly and also be way more comfortable and useful for workout type recovery.

Here is example of a better done add-on:

sundance-hot-tub-pool-fire-installation-Amherst-5c64d98c84a35347c2fc78e7b1dc901f.jpg.5a7674b8db8cab741cdcc121296d66f4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Any of you have any decking/patio suggestions here in Central Texas?  I’m wanting to tear up my existing patio surrounding the pool and start anew with an expanded, larger deck (cool deck) which extends all the way to the house.    

Most places I see are design-build only.  Seems like something I could spend a few grand on designs for and then cut an independent contractor loose to do instead

It’s been over a month since my last update. Work ground to a halt over the holidays and just resumed this week.

The substructure and gravel for the teak deck is in and the waterline tile has been installed.

Deck install starts tomorrow and I think he wants to start plaster soon. He still has to put the pad for the equipment and get all that installed.

3d478908823f27ddcd7858b3c7411425.jpg

663e0993ae81724fa9b20923cf95dbb4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah mine has been slow the last several weeks. I’m waiting on plaster too, curious if the plaster is freeze sensitive. We have had several hard freezes and lots of nights in the low 20’s. I’m hoping that’s why he hasn’t done the plaster and not just dragging shit out. He told me it took 6 weeks for the hot tube stone to show up from when he ordered it.

It’s been over a month since my last update. Work ground to a halt over the holidays and just resumed this week.

The substructure and gravel for the teak deck is in and the waterline tile has been installed.

Deck install starts tomorrow and I think he wants to start plaster soon. He still has to put the pad for the equipment and get all that installed.

3d478908823f27ddcd7858b3c7411425.jpg

663e0993ae81724fa9b20923cf95dbb4.jpg

That’s a shitload of pipes , what the heck

On 1/11/2022 at 10:37 AM, El Tri said:

buying a house in Round Rock that has a pool but needs new plaster and equipment.

any recommendations on companies for this?

Cody did us right on replastering the pool.  It's not cheap, but they were prompt, clean, and didn't change order us.  It ran about 15k for a largeish pool (22k gallons).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/13/2022 at 6:13 AM, Hefeweizen said:

Cody did us right on replastering the pool.  It's not cheap, but they were prompt, clean, and didn't change order us.  It ran about 15k for a largeish pool (22k gallons).

Cody did our pool when I was a kid. Way back then, the owners son was digging the hole on our pool, and let me climb down in there and fuck around while he was working. Him and I found some Wooly Mammoth and Saber Tooth Tiger bones in the hole. Gave most of them to the Witte museum who told us what they were. They let me keep two of the bone fragments. /csb 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/1/2022 at 11:55 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Curious about this. It seems you'd still need to maintain the same Free Chlorine (FC) levels with or without UV - 1) for algae and other things that might not pass through the UV system or would not be affected by it - and 2) because you don't truly know if the UV system is keeping the pool sanitized from bugs. 

So, perhaps the UV system kills a bunch of stuff and therefore the chlorine doesn't need to and doesn't 'deplete' as quickly - you may end up needing to add less to maintain levels. Is that it? How much less? It seems like the sun will break down the chlorine pretty quickly regardless negating much of this. 

What am I missing? 

So there was another plant fire in New Jersey.  Will stress an already broken supply chain.  

Back in the day - couple years ago - 50# tabs wholesale cost me less than 79$/50#.  That same 50# bucket is north of $200.  It's going to go closer to $300.  

Never been a fan of UV or Ozone but in this environment it may be worth it.

Salt systems are going up.  Last I heard was 50% due to raw material cost increases.  Especially ruthenium.  

18 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

Curious about this. It seems you'd still need to maintain the same Free Chlorine (FC) levels with or without UV - 1) for algae and other things that might not pass through the UV system or would not be affected by it - and 2) because you don't truly know if the UV system is keeping the pool sanitized from bugs. 

So, perhaps the UV system kills a bunch of stuff and therefore the chlorine doesn't need to and doesn't 'deplete' as quickly - you may end up needing to add less to maintain levels. Is that it? How much less? It seems like the sun will break down the chlorine pretty quickly regardless negating much of this. 

What am I missing? 

That's pretty much it. I don't have one but they say 50-60% less chlorine needed.  I don't think its really much of a cost saver as much as an alternative for a better pool "feel" (less chlorine).

21 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Unless your pool is indoors your getting plenty of Uv from the sun . Seems like a BS add on

UV from the sun (UV-A/UV-B) won't kill bacteria in your pool water, no matter how much sunlight you get. Water filtration systems utilize UV systems (UV-C) because it will kill 99.9%.  

But chlorine already does, so what a UV system will do for you is all moot.  Given the flow mechanics of a pool, and how long it would take for every single molecule of water to actually make it thru the UV chamber one time, a UV system's contribution to killing things, (compared to the normal chlorine levels that are already required for a balanced pool) are insignificant. 

In short, you're already chlorinating your pool, so youre good.  The UV system is just shooting BBs at a dead horse. 

Maybe UV systems are good for people who don't take great care of their pools. In my experience using the TFP bleach method - once you have all your levels dialed in and you keep up with it (which is a pain in the ass, granted - daily bleach additions, testing, etc) - you don't get much of a chlorine smell/feel at all. You get that when there is something out of balance and the chlorine is doing lots of work to combat it. 

My suspicion is that bacteria is not the major culprit for putting the chlorine to work - rather algae and other organics are (I could be wrong here). 

I could see UV being good to keep the water sanitized even if your other levels are out of whack - i.e. too high CYA so chlorine not effective, too low chlorine, etc. But for those conditions you are going to get algae or other stuff which UV likely won't help with. So you're back to shocking the pool which makes it feel/smell like chlorine. 

And I maintain that the sun will break down the chlorine fast enough that I can't really see the UV system significantly reducing the need for additions. 

I could be wrong, but that's my semi-informed opinion on it. 

Anybody bought 5 gal jugs of chlorine from Napco in Luling? Thinking about running down there before summer and getting a few 5 gallon jugs.

Home Depot and Leslie’s has been hit or miss so thinking of going that route so I don’t have to worry…