Yes: Pools are worth it....

17 hours ago, kmac30 said:

3ddff4eefa7fcaaab31d6976e0ec7c5b.jpg
Got the initial quote and it seems pretty steep for this 15x35 3.4-6ft pool, 7x7 spa. Travertine deck.

I have a couple people coming next week to talk.

Assuming the pony wall around is necessary due to elevation of yard and they're going to face and top with travertine.  That's going to jump the price.  And if you haven't,  confirm if both sides of wall are getting the same treatment ie splitface or something similar. 

I got a small pool going in now. Roughly 26'8" by 10'9". Limited room in the backyard, so that's all we could do. Gunite and tile are done. Equipment is mainly installed (heat pump, variable speed pump, and saltwater generator). Waiting on the cover guy to come out for the automatic cover. It's something we felt we needed with 3 small children and not enough room to put up a safety fence around the pool (at least, that wouldn't look really weird and cramped). We have a pre-existing outdoor covered patio and kitchen. I'm pretty amped for this summer. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Assuming the pony wall around is necessary due to elevation of yard and they're going to face and top with travertine.  That's going to jump the price.  And if you haven't,  confirm if both sides of wall are getting the same treatment ie splitface or something similar. 

So the wall on the near side is required and then on the back opposite side there is retaining wall. My yard slopes down and to the left from that POV. One side of wall is going to be face, the other will not be visible.

Last night my wife starts talking about moving. WTF. So I told her pool is on hold until she gets those thoughts out of her mind.
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, kmac30 said:

So the wall on the near side is required and then on the back opposite side there is retaining wall. My yard slopes down and to the left from that POV. One side of wall is going to be face, the other will not be visible.

Last night my wife starts talking about moving. WTF. So I told her pool is on hold until she gets those thoughts out of her mind.

I wouldn't hold off, you'll still enjoy the pool.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bought a house with a pool built in the 80s. We just started on a remodel. Adding a Baja shelf, new coping, decking, replaster with stone, new tile, new equipment and LED lights. It was a kick in the nuts on the price but still $80k less than building the same pool new.

I’m pumped for it to be ready for the summer.

Edited by LebongJames
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, kmac30 said:

This sounds familiar. 

My backyard pool project started with excavation on January 5. I started filling the pool today - a mere 6 weeks after starting. Pretty happy with how quickly things progressed.

How long will it take to fill 15,000 gallons with two garden hoses? I’m expecting around 16 hours. But I was told there would be no math.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

My backyard pool project started with excavation on January 5. I started filling the pool today - a mere 6 weeks after starting. Pretty happy with how quickly things progressed.

How long will it take to fill 15,000 gallons with two garden hoses? I’m expecting around 16 hours. But I was told there would be no math.

Damn that's a quick build, obviously no hang ups or issues encountered, nice!

Without knowing your actual hose gals/per minute and to avoid math.. 16 hours or thereabouts would be accurate.

https://poolchemicalcalculator.com/Pool-Fill-Time-Calculator.html

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

like MonkeyDonut said it depends on the fill rate.  Mine is 18,500 and took 2 days.

• Like 1

Bastard , mine started September 10 and still waiting on plaster

1 hour ago, Quagmire said:

Bastard , mine started September 10 and still waiting on plaster

27 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Mine started digging Dec 9 2020 and I did not have water until July 27, 2021 and the cool deck spray was in September 2021.

I signed the contract for mine in October 2020. We had issues with Centerpoint, including getting our overhead electric service drop buried and an unmarked gas line that just ended in the middle of our yard for no apparent reason. 

• Fuck You 1

My pool builder told me while he welcomes referrals he didn’t want me to tell any of those parties how quickly my project moved, lest they have unreasonable expectations about their own build. He said for whatever reason we jumped 3 other projects he had going at the same time. Good fortune I guess.

1 hour ago, Amos Moses said:

My pool builder told me while he welcomes referrals he didn’t want me to tell any of those parties how quickly my project moved, lest they have unreasonable expectations about their own build. He said for whatever reason we jumped 3 other projects he had going at the same time. Good fortune I guess.

County and no HOA?  Depending on municipality inspections can be a drag.  Not weeks worth, but a drag.  

Aren’t you in the houston area? Care to DM the builder?

I went to start looking to restock my pool shock (calcium hypochlorite) and chlorine for the season... damn it's still through the roof. Over 3 times what I was paying last year and most places are sold out.. cost to own a pool has gone up significantly... I do it myself, can't imagine what the pool guys charge now. 

money GIF

I went to start looking to restock my pool shock (calcium hypochlorite) and chlorine for the season... damn it's still through the roof. Over 3 times what I was paying last year and most places are sold out.. cost to own a pool has gone up significantly... I do it myself, can't imagine what the pool guys charge now. 
200.gif

Mine is up to $178mo

On 2/17/2022 at 1:35 PM, Amos Moses said:

Nice. My took just under 10 weeks. Was happy with that. 

On 2/19/2022 at 12:09 PM, TexasEd said:

I’m doing salt water generator as well and after initial balance I am using half a gallon of acid per month and nothing else. 

On 2/19/2022 at 8:00 PM, fattyflattie said:

Same.  

On 2/19/2022 at 10:12 PM, TexEx15 said:

Third

Ya'll have convinced me now is the time to add one... might pay for itself over this season (at least a large chunk of it)

Couple questions on design:

Is there a specific area the equipment needs to go? Closer to deep end? Closer to spa?

Is there a preference to having spa on deep end or on shallow?

Decking options - concrete or travertine? Those two seem to be the only ones. Am I missing anything?

1 hour ago, kmac30 said:

Is there a specific area the equipment needs to go? Closer to deep end? Closer to spa?

Decking options - concrete or travertine? Those two seem to be the only ones. Am I missing anything?

Tumbled marble pavers are another one I looked at. a bit more than travertine. 

Equipment should go where you can make it easy to access utilities, imo. Where does your electric and gas come into the house? Put it on that side to reduce the routing expense. And where it’s out of the way. The plumbing from the equipment gets figured out whether it’s close to spa or deep end.

We did spa near shallow. Probably doesn’t matter, but if you have kids remember you’ll want line of sight that isn’t blocked by the spa, especially into the deep end.

We did travertine coping and textured spray deck. Lots of options depending on the look you want and your budget.
  • Hook 'Em 1

So I have 2 quotes right now. Both our spa in deep end. One has it on the east side of the yard, other has it on the west. There are ways for it to be hidden either way. My electric comes into the house closer to east. Main gas is closer to west, but I have a line running to my generator on the east that pool guy thinks they can use.
69cddca66c74e17abbc4eab873aa6d85.jpg
96c475f4abff0e628eba5a2ae55340d7.jpg

Top pool is 17x38, 7x8 spa. Bottom is 15x35, 7x7 spa.

Wife likes the flat pool aspect of the bottom, the spa orientation of the top, extra decking of top. She also likes the mini ledge of the top pic. She’s not a huge fan of the retaining wall being part of the pool on the top pick. But our yard has a pretty decent slope, so wall has to fit somewhere. Guy with bottom quote didn’t include patio and walkways in his quote, which is a little annoying.

Quotes on both of these, high. But extremely close. More bang for the buck with the top one.

Any pros/cons I might be missing?

11 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

So I have 2 quotes right now. Both our spa in deep end. One has it on the east side of the yard, other has it on the west. There are ways for it to be hidden either way. My electric comes into the house closer to east. Main gas is closer to west, but I have a line running to my generator on the east that pool guy thinks they can use.
69cddca66c74e17abbc4eab873aa6d85.jpg
96c475f4abff0e628eba5a2ae55340d7.jpg

Top pool is 17x38, 7x8 spa. Bottom is 15x35, 7x7 spa.

Wife likes the flat pool aspect of the bottom, the spa orientation of the top, extra decking of top. She also likes the mini ledge of the top pic. She’s not a huge fan of the retaining wall being part of the pool on the top pick. But our yard has a pretty decent slope, so wall has to fit somewhere. Guy with bottom quote didn’t include patio and walkways in his quote, which is a little annoying.

Quotes on both of these, high. But extremely close. More bang for the buck with the top one.

Any pros/cons I might be missing?

I like the usability of the top space better regardless of which side is deep/spa.  The bottom looks like it has a way to get in the spa from the pool.  Make the spa seating deeper. up to your arm pits at least. Add a bench under the spa overflow on the top one and you are set.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, kmac30 said:

Best equipment placement is as far from pool as possible (out of sight / less noise) balanced with closeness to electric/gas connection points (cheapest install). Noise isn't much an issue as can be put behind fence/boxed/shrubs etc too.

no spa preference, ours if on corner near shallow end. Our preference was closest to exit from house and so could see full pool from patio structure.

decking - weighed both concrete and travertine too (cost vs look/heat) and chose travertine. Very glad we did, I think I would have regretted spending so much overall and not getting travertine as well.

Both your design pictures look awesome. Can't go wrong and will mainly be personal preference. Agree with TexasEd about bench seating near spa. 

9 minutes ago, GottaB said:

If you have kids, the spa near the deep end becomes a diving platform if it is raised at all

Ours use the back wall for that. But we have an area they can slide in and out of the spa with ease, with a ledge on the other side for them.  Our spa is in the deep end.  We have pretty good visibility everywhere, but added a couple of ring cams just in case.  More in case a neighbor kid or something wanders over, at least we’ll get a notification. 

On 3/3/2022 at 10:42 AM, kmac30 said:

I recommend the spa on the deep end because kids will want to jump from spa to pool. Also, I recommend the spa bench be a “U” rather than all the way around. I would leave open the side of the spillway. See the attached picture from when ours was being filled. It gives you more leg space and I bet you will rarely have so many people in the spa you need the extra seats.

0DB8920B-ABD0-41B7-91DA-27C6A2D54BC1.jpeg

19 hours ago, kmac30 said:

One more for today. I believe both are 3.5-6 ft. Is that deep enough? Gut tells me deeper. My kids at 10/8/8.

Don’t go less than 4 in the shallow end. 6 feet is plenty for jumping in but not for head first diving. We did 4-6.