Yes: Pools are worth it....

Southwest Austin price for a basic 15' x 30' rectangle, 3'-6' deep, known rocky soil, no spa, no heater, no SWG, limestone coping tile, plus 750 sq/ft of concrete patio with sundek coating, typical polaris racer vacuum thingy:  84k.   

We've had water in it for about a month now.   I spend about half an hour just floating on the shady side and reading a book every afternoon.   I leap in it almost every day after a bike ride in the heat.  But the added patio space has been just as valuable to me.  We've been eating dinners out there, breakfast out there before school every day, beers with the neighbors in the evenings, and both teenage kids have been having all their friends over a fair amount, which they normally didn't do before.  That alone made me quit worrying about how much I dropped on it.   

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Mines way back on page 37. 14x35-ish iirc. Might be a bit longer, can’t recall. 7x7 spa. Houston. 3-6.5 deep. Swg, all led, no automation, regular plaster.  Low 70’s.  12k of that was travertine. 

e9a1c24cda4b8095bbc84186f8611fe6.jpg

c96f76bc4f81a6def1c47b78af0b61a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contract on that pool today is north of 90.

Nice!
It may be the angle and 2D nature of the picture but the grade by the fence where the pallets are looks like it is higher than the coping.  You may need to get that taken down a few inches to keep mud and leaves from flowing into the pool during a thunderstorm.

Thanks for noticing. They did trench a little along the edge but going forward it may need to be lowered.

I was talking about everyone’s pool costs, not sod. This thread would be so much more powerful to price compare. The posting of the pool specs above was great. 

5caa97924cf39016e94ff07df77f6ccf.jpg
Here was our final quote. Our contract in pflugerville for 15x28’ pool going from 3-6’ deep with spa and adding some deck. Contract total was $83 k

Our quotes ranged from $83 to $110k for essentially the same pool.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Please recommend a builder in Austin who will finish a pool that’s 90% done. I haven’t seen my builder in 10 days and I always get the “tomorrow “ answer. I’ve paid every invoice, even a bit over but for reasons unknown I’ve been abandoned. Several jets  that have been plumbed but not installed. 5 laminars plumbed but not installed. Zero edge drip basin installed but not painted. I can’t stand anymore “tomorrow “ answers. I look foolish. This has been a pattern and I need to get the picture.  It’s not going to get better. 

• Rage+1 1

That sounds frustrating. I assume you chose your builder off the rec of someone you know. Did they have the same issue? I don’t have a rec for people that pick up unfinished projects but I can tell you I got very inpatient at times as the weather warmed.

The communication was largely nonexistent during my install. Prior to the start I might get a communication every 10 days or so as we finalized the design and signed the contract.

Once the digging started, I didn’t get much communication at all. Some days there would be work. Some days not. The latest example was the stone work for the coping. there would be days without anyone showing up, then three days in a row of good work, then nothing for a few days.

It felt odd not to get an explanation but I imagine the pool company is working multiple projects and using teams that have busy schedules. Throw in supply deliveries and equipment delivery, I just went with it.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

Please recommend a builder in Austin who will finish a pool that’s 90% done. I haven’t seen my builder in 10 days and I always get the “tomorrow “ answer. I’ve paid every invoice, even a bit over but for reasons unknown I’ve been abandoned. Several jets  that have been plumbed but not installed. 5 laminars plumbed but not installed. Zero edge drip basin installed but not painted. I can’t stand anymore “tomorrow “ answers. I look foolish. This has been a pattern and I need to get the picture.  It’s not going to get better. 

Be patient.  Read this thread back multiple pages.  To whom do you look foolish?  Nobody but fatty is getting their pool done quickly.  Sounds like your builder should be more communicative, but no builder is gonna do anything because you haven't had progress in ten days.  

I guess I look foolish for expecting someone to show up when they say they will and then nothing. This project started April 2021. Over a year. I’m frustrated. I’ve been involved in 4 home remodels and 3 office finish outs so I’m familiar with the time frames, but a year is past what I’ve put up with before. 

I appreciate your input. 

9 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

I guess I look foolish for expecting someone to show up when they say they will and then nothing. This project started April 2021. Over a year. I’m frustrated. I’ve been involved in 4 home remodels and 3 office finish outs so I’m familiar with the time frames, but a year is past what I’ve put up with before. 

I appreciate your input. 

Man, my apologies.   Didnt realize project timeline was so egregious.  Unfortunately no builder is going to step in at this point and if they do you're going to pay a hefty premium.   And I'm assuming you still have deck to pour?

Anyone have recent, positive experience with a pool builder/remodeler in DFW? My dad wants to convert his hot tub into a lounge deck and re-plaster/tile the rest of the pool, but he’s had trouble getting callbacks for a quote. Hobert did the original install around 20 years ago, FWIW…

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Emerald Custom Pools in Saginaw is doing our new build. Very happy with them. I know they have taken over projects that other companies have started, but I’m not sure about remodels. Wouldn’t hurt to call and ask

Yours is progressing quickly too, it seems.  For whatever reason the pool industry is plagued with that reputation. It worried me terribly when picking contractors.  Ours was up front, said he’d start when he has such and such Wx window, and he did.  @Not that Bob if the construction has been solid, you might find someone who’ll come in and make a little premium to finish it quick.  Especially if it’s finish type work. 

The guy I wanted to use (but lost out to wife) built one down the street. I’m sure he’s a good builder but they’ve had to redo a ton of shit because of leaks. I’m talking drain the whole thing and tear shit out type. Even if taking a (very fucking long) while, if the construction is good, it’ll be worth it. 

If anyone wants to feel good about what you’re paying for your pool or landscaping or really any project, feel free to ask what we’re paying for those things in Midland.

I’m enjoying it though c4085a75d2ac6970945ffc23d65106cd.jpg

3 minutes ago, BTW said:

If anyone wants to feel good about what you’re paying for your pool or landscaping or really any project, feel free to ask what we’re paying for those things in Midland.

I’m enjoying it though c4085a75d2ac6970945ffc23d65106cd.jpg

Who cares, you only live once. Your backyard is way better now that it was before the pool. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kmac30 said:

Supposed to steak out the pool today. Weather just went sideways so it might not happen. Starting a month later than planned (mostly my fault) so ready to get rolling.

Hope your builder's got the chops.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, kmac30 said:

Supposed to steak out the pool today. Weather just went sideways so it might not happen. Starting a month later than planned (mostly my fault) so ready to get rolling.

Hopefully your builder is more like Herbie's and Fatty's and less like the rest of ours or you'll be opening that pool in January.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, kmac30 said:

You better shake it up, get too late in the summer and your gonna get grilled in the sun.

Picking the finishes always seems to be the point of contention with my wife. I’m colorblind and just cannot see some colors at all.

So when she says “do you see all the brown in this, I don’t like it”. I answer “those are things I cannot see”. It’s not what she wants to hear. So instead I answer “yes, I agree”.

We do agree on style though. Builder really wants us to use Versailles pattern for travertine. We lean toward 16x24 brick style. Can someone tell me why you couldn’t start at the pool when laying those so you have the solid pattern at the edge and lay to the house vs the other way - starting at the house?

Wife made some good decisions today so it was great time spent.

1 hour ago, kmac30 said:

Picking the finishes always seems to be the point of contention with my wife. I’m colorblind and just cannot see some colors at all.

So when she says “do you see all the brown in this, I don’t like it”. I answer “those are things I cannot see”. It’s not what she wants to hear. So instead I answer “yes, I agree”.

We do agree on style though. Builder really wants us to use Versailles pattern for travertine. We lean toward 16x24 brick style. Can someone tell me why you couldn’t start at the pool when laying those so you have the solid pattern at the edge and lay to the house vs the other way - starting at the house?

Wife made some good decisions today so it was great time spent.

Might be out of my area as I had to go look to see what pattern my travertine was in.... but couple reasons why builder may light Versailles pattern better.

He'll be longer pieces to form the border for the pool. The border is almost certainly going to have cuts to pieces as it won't be in multiples of 16" of whatever the length is with come going one direction and others going 90 deg (assuming geometric pool shape).  The border to the brick pattern might not be something you end up liking on all sides.

The Versailles pattern is more common as it will hide any unevenness or minor settling that might occur more than the brick pattern.

It how the vast majority of travertine decks are done so the stone company is going to have the pallets already stacked for Versailles.

I would assume the travertine itself would also cost more to only using the larger pieces (no clue though).

Could definitely start at pool rather than house, but would likely end up with some very noticeable / awkward cuts somewhere along the line. House out gives them way more flexibility to avoid that issue by changing the border overhang on the pool slightly or such which you wouldn't notice. 

There is a guy from Anthony & Sylvan Pools on my porch writing up a bid to refinish my pool right now. 

Expecting $15k.

I think the scope will be :

1. Full chip-out of existing pebble finish

2. Keep the mosaic tile

3. New micro-pebble finish sanded smooth (so it doesn't snag my wife's swimsuite bottoms, that was her only request, but I said just don't wear bottoms, haha)

4. Some stone and grout repair.

I have this recurring black mold/algae problem.  The chip out will get the roots out of the pebble/plaster, but I'm worried about spores in my plumbing and equipment.  How do you sanitize the equipment?

Also, don't fuck around on this black algae, it will give you maintenance and financial nightmares.

Edited by Elvis

3 hours ago, kmac30 said:

Can someone tell me why you couldn’t start at the pool when laying those so you have the solid pattern at the edge and lay to the house vs the other way - starting at the house?

Standard tile method, not necessarily for pool tile, is to shift tiles over about half a tile length in either direction so as have close to equal size cut tiles on either side of a room and to avoid any narrow slivers of tile up against either wall.  Whole tile on one side of a room and slivers of tile on the other looks weird.  Unsquare walls are also way more noticeable with narrow slivers of tile up one side than with wider but equal cuts of tile on both sides of the room.   I wouldn't think this would be an issue at a pool though since there's no reason a new pool shouldn't be 100% square to the house.  

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

There is a guy from Anthony & Sylvan Pools on my porch writing up a bid to refinish my pool right now. 

Expecting $15k.

I think the scope will be :

1. Full chip-out of existing pebble finish

2. Keep the mosaic tile

3. New micro-pebble finish sanded smooth (so it doesn't snag my wife's swimsuite bottoms, that was her only request, but I said just don't wear bottoms, haha)

4. Some stone and grout repair.

I think the main things on smooth finish (learned this after I had a shitty startup)

1. Don't let them overdo it on the acid wash.  More acid removes more cement and exposes more of the aggregate/pebble finish.

2. May sure to monitor the CSI (Calcium Saturation Index) which is a combination of Calcium Hardness, pH, and other factors that is an equilibrium for the water.  If it does not have enough calcium in suspension your water gets aggressive and takes it out of the plaster.  My start up never tested for CH and my fill water was way below the recommended 300+ ppm

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

I have this recurring black mold/algae problem.  The chip out will get the roots out of the pebble/plaster, but I'm worried about spores in my plumbing and equipment.  How do you sanitize the equipment?

Also, don't fuck around on this black algae, it will give you maintenance and financial nightmares.

This is the guide I go by for Black Algae.  Prevent it by keeping sufficient Chlorine

https://www.troublefreepool.com/blog/2019/01/18/black-algae/

What's your favorite testing kit?  Maybe one with money being no object and one that's the best bang for the buck.  I went to shock the pool today and the instructions were dealing with things I don't think my basic little kit even measures.  Also your best resource for coming up with a system, a preferred method to keep it all clean and balanced. No really interested in YOUR method, just where you went to learn about it.

Pool School at start-up has got me this this far with a basic testing kit and some muriatic acid and chlorine tabs far but the more I read about it the more I find alternate methods, opinions, and other things to consider that I haven't even learned about yet.  How often to shock, which products to shock with, etc..  CYA (wtf is that?), free chlorine vs residual vs total, etc, alkalinity increasers...  

I hear a lot about TFP, but they have their detractors too apparently.  Where should a newbie go to un-muddy the waters, so to speak.

Had a buddy contract for his pool during the heart of COVID-19 for like $50k. Talked to my next door neighbor today as the guys were digging his 16x32 and 7x7 spa and he said he paid north of $110k today. Oof. I told him thanks for building OUR pool, though, just hurry and be finished by Labor Day.

9 hours ago, Your Mom said:

What's your favorite testing kit?  Maybe one with money being no object and one that's the best bang for the buck.  I went to shock the pool today and the instructions were dealing with things I don't think my basic little kit even measures.  Also your best resource for coming up with a system, a preferred method to keep it all clean and balanced. No really interested in YOUR method, just where you went to learn about it.

Pool School at start-up has got me this this far with a basic testing kit and some muriatic acid and chlorine tabs far but the more I read about it the more I find alternate methods, opinions, and other things to consider that I haven't even learned about yet.  How often to shock, which products to shock with, etc..  CYA (wtf is that?), free chlorine vs residual vs total, etc, alkalinity increasers...  

I hear a lot about TFP, but they have their detractors too apparently.  Where should a newbie go to un-muddy the waters, so to speak.

I went with trouble free pool.  Their pool school articles will at least answer your questions about the chemicals and what a properly balanced pool means (CYA is very important).  I have a SWG so it makes it easier to make chlorine additions without pucks (they don't like pucks because long term CYA increase).  Anyway the whole premise is you can do it yourself and avoid pool store fuckery by testing everything yourself, and they're in the business of selling test kits.  Take that for what it's worth but I bought one and I'm 18 months in and always crystal clear as long as I can keep the leaves out.  I nerded out on testing the first year but now I've learned my pool and don't need to as much.

Test kits are here if interested: https://tftestkits.net/test-kits-c4/

10 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Test Kit: TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD, get a new kit every 12 months
IMO Must add a --> Taylor Technologies 9265 SpeedStir

TFP still good place to learn, I might not agree with all their methods and certainly the feeling I should test my pool daily or multiple times a week.

I highly recommend the TFP phone app "PoolMath" w/yearly subscription.  I basically follow its recommendations and calculations for corrective actions. "Tells" you what to do.

If you are just starting, get a quick handle on how much the type of "pucks" you use increase your CYA. Depending where you live it can cause problems quickly if it gets to high.  I just switched to SWG this year and have to say I feel was definitely worth it for the ease of maintenance, not that chlorine is that much harder, but ever little bit helps when its a weekly task. I also have much less issue keeping numbers in ideal ranges.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thank you both. Gives me a little confirmation in the direction I was already leaning. My concern about TFP is that I’m usually out of town three days a week with nobody else home during those three days. It sounds like once I get to know my pool pretty well I can anticipate it’s needs for those three days, but I certainly could never be the guy that’s adding a little liquid chlorine on a daily basis consistently.   Apparently there’s also a liquid chlorine dispenser I could look into. Or a SWG I guess. I originally avoided that to stay within my budget and I hate to dump a bunch of money on new equipment this soon.

44 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Thank you both. Gives me a little confirmation in the direction I was already leaning. My concern about TFP is that I’m usually out of town three days a week with nobody else home during those three days. It sounds like once I get to know my pool pretty well I can anticipate it’s needs for those three days, but I certainly could never be the guy that’s adding a little liquid chlorine on a daily basis consistently.   Apparently there’s also a liquid chlorine dispenser I could look into. Or a SWG I guess. I originally avoided that to stay within my budget and I hate to dump a bunch of money on new equipment this soon.

Liquids better, but don't be scared off on all the negative chlorine "puck" talk on TFP. Assuming you have a puck feeder you shouldn't need to do much other than refill it weekly once you get the setting on it dialed in.  The downside to too much CYA they add is it takes more chlorine to be effective (costs more) and you eventually might have to do a partial drain/fill exercise to lower the CYA.  With good amounts of rain and/or splash out from use that might be many years.  Puck use is extremely common and likely the most used form of sanitizing swimming pools around.

On 5/21/2022 at 8:15 PM, Not that Bob said:

We signed a contract in April 2021 - dig started in June 2021. We have a pool we can swim in as of 4 weeks ago, but still waiting for electrical inspection, gas hook up, etc.  Everything they did was fucked up in one way or another. We've been patient AF, but our builder sucks ass. I feel your pain. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

We signed a contract in April 2021 - dig started in June 2021. We have a pool we can swim in as of 4 weeks ago, but still waiting for electrical inspection, gas hook up, etc.  Everything they did was fucked up in one way or another. We've been patient AF, but our builder sucks ass. I feel your pain. 

I signed my contract in October of 2020. They just finished the decking. Waiting on plaster and then installation of the cover. To be fair, it mostly isn't the builder's fault (issues with center point, my electrical drop, and an unmarked gas line to nowhere).