Yes: Pools are worth it....

This time of year 6 hours high.  Usualy 10 - 4pm,  4-10pm on medium.  10 pm - 10 am at about 25%.  When we fit fall through winter back high speed down to 75%.

Thanks, I'll tweak the settings. I actually didn't have it running at all overnight. Is it better to have it going 24/7 I guess? Still learning all this stuff.

3 minutes ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, Poolflood said:
This time of year 6 hours high.  Usualy 10 - 4pm,  4-10pm on medium.  10 pm - 10 am at about 25%.  When we fit fall through winter back high speed down to 75%.

Thanks, I'll tweak the settings. I actually didn't have it running at all overnight. Is it better to have it going 24/7 I guess? Still learning all this stuff.

I think 3200rpm is full speed for mine and it is too loud.  I run mine 10am to 6pm.  I believe its 2800 for 1st and last hour for better skimming, and 2300 rpm the rest which is really quiet. Who knows if that's enough to "turn the pool over"...I don't think that's important.  As long as your pool stays clean or you run it long enough for the SWG to make enough chlorine then it's enough pump time.

4 minutes ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, Poolflood said:

At that speed you're consuming about 100w of electricity and still have water flow and filtration.  I have same pump.  Lasted 10 years til freeze.

• Like 1

I think 3200rpm is full speed for mine and it is too loud.  I run mine 10am to 6pm.  I believe its 2800 for 1st and last hour for better skimming, and 2300 rpm the rest which is really quiet. Who knows if that's enough to "turn the pool over"...I don't think that's important.  As long as your pool stays clean or you run it long enough for the SWG to make enough chlorine then it's enough pump time.
Yeah mine was 3200 for about 10 hours a day when I moved in and it was pretty damn loud. Dialed it back to 2400 and it was much better, but didn't seem to be skimming enough. I think I'll do a combo of high/med/low and see how that goes.

3 hours ago, Okie State said:
3 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Yeah mine was 3200 for about 10 hours a day when I moved in and it was pretty damn loud. Dialed it back to 2400 and it was much better, but didn't seem to be skimming enough. I think I'll do a combo of high/med/low and see how that goes.

Do higher RPM'S during heat of day and slower either side of that.

I believe those motors are rated for very high RPM's.  The VS motors are not your parent's pool equipment. 

6 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Alright because evidently we have all this money to burn since my wife stays home now and doesn't work and the fucking pool wasn't enough of a drain on my bank account, we now need an outdoor kitchen down by the pool. Who here has one? 

Outdoor kitchen just means she's tired of cooking for your ass.  But seriously.   Got one.  Love it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

She burnt the water one time trying to make ramen noodles. I'm the Bobby Flay of this household. Seriously if that woman ever offered to cook me something I would be afraid. Where did you get your set up? I've been on lowes, home depot and Bestbuy most of the afternoon and I can't find shit. It's either cheap junk for $350 or $7k for a single burner KitchenAid. I already have a 4 burner Blackstone and figured I can have the guys set that one in, but I'm going to need a new grill and an outdoor under-the-counter style refrigerator as well. Thanks, I'll hang up and listen,

11 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Alright because evidently we have all this money to burn since my wife stays home now and doesn't work and the fucking pool wasn't enough of a drain on my bank account, we now need an outdoor kitchen down by the pool. Who here has one? 

don't have one... our kitchen connects out to the patio/pool... seemed silly to put a second money pit outside when we already had one inside (that said have nice outdoor fridge)... allowed more room for outdoor furniture, bigger TV, etc

11 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

don't have one... our kitchen connects out to the patio/pool... seemed silly to put a second money pit outside when we already had one inside (that said have nice outdoor fridge)... allowed more room for outdoor furniture, bigger TV, etc

It's a bit of a walk down to ours, and wife wants to do this to get my Blackstone and Pit Boss off the back porch. Which is hilarious because when we built the house she just had to have a serving window above the kitchen sink so she (really me) could pass food and dishes back and forth from inside the house to the grill and table. I also had to build a goddamn sink stand out of the wood from the barn I disassembled because she wanted it to look "rustic" like the rest of the house. Some days are harder to be married than others Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

She burnt the water one time trying to make ramen noodles. I'm the Bobby Flay of this household. Seriously if that woman ever offered to cook me something I would be afraid. Where did you get your set up? I've been on lowes, home depot and Bestbuy most of the afternoon and I can't find shit. It's either cheap junk for $350 or $7k for a single burner KitchenAid. I already have a 4 burner Blackstone and figured I can have the guys set that one in, but I'm going to need a new grill and an outdoor under-the-counter style refrigerator as well. Thanks, I'll hang up and listen,

Bull, lyon and RCS are some common, solid grills.  Don't go big box.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I ended up going with a Blaze grill from BBQguys. Bought all of the door/drawer accessories from them as well. So far so good as we just moved in two weeks ago. They were helpful in laying out a design for the outdoor kitchen. I highly recommend.

83b03b3b74b46afc285e52ae491d4bb0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, milkman said:

I ended up going with a Blaze grill from BBQguys. Bought all of the door/drawer accessories from them as well. So far so good as we just moved in two weeks ago. They were helpful in laying out a design for the outdoor kitchen. I highly recommend.

Swap out the egg for a Big Joe, and I have that exact setup (minus the sink).  I ain't touched the gas grill though. Iike ever...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 2:50 PM, milkman said:

Serious question... you ever leave the house? If so, why?

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Any of you guys with pools have any reservations regarding water use out here, especially this summer?

I water the lawn to just keep it barely alive and give the trees a drink and feel some guilt that I'm using that water. 

No.

Also, I don't feel like I've used that much water since filling the pool. It still rains enough in Houston to keep it topped off without much effort apparently (only 1 month in though). 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

No.

Also, I don't feel like I've used that much water since filling the pool. It still rains enough in Houston to keep it topped off without much effort apparently (only 1 month in though). 

Oh yeah, Houston seems like no big deal. Even if it gets dry for a few months, you'll get your rain. Was thinking more Austin/San Antonio in the question.

3 hours ago, kmac30 said:

We have water!

876105c32feb7a91505ebd5f2e807976.jpg

looks a lot like ours.  Very nice design.  Keep the grass level a few inches below the top of the walls and you will have less grass and leaves blowing into the pool.

Here's ours.  I like the walls on the right that keep all the leaves from blowing into the pool that land in the grass first.  We still have a large tree overhanging the pool so we get tons of leaves.

IdGZSW77FMtdaoZxvWc16u8JfsqajgSKgsP8rHOFLUIAa4nHIU23ua8rG7hx4o-G0CBUj_iAI8F7qoUH1xlYPA375QTkogHC8UxDOn__gwWLbKctAbeSvuyMicKlaBxa6n_AZXnh4XKSzw_YeGypRnad2rA-fItt4r3LG_Wt167rnao2rHsHb6UTQmw8bdxVLUd8acbPCh0X_pIgsLwvwVRiV8vlyh0ZdqfFGqjeqO07-Xby294r1a1V0_MToZzUKZdLhlw9vV5Tfz5P39Oquah9n6vK4YozBWUGVIj-PCUGVC2a7qdUhBSRzrK9nydruv1VyRunpt0uiqYrQl60l94qITLLDPiLzboL2yxajPkFnjcNXUI7sgf3mrzzdMgHoLYUmwa8LHlhtjdcFYSya61su92KxiUkNGeuPFPJ6Frj_gAoF8kKqVS7umvogyTVbCTFuruO17j9JLoingSgh5RhOM3o1lVpQO6rtMFr8TolshooWp7mdOjmSGGBa6Jp1V20bSoeogQlOYTQSQPgRq5IvZ4nq7uypnuselyQvQvpQummWoP1Rtrhe4gssjHtnKd17sHHzFPkz3djHwZ_QZiZl0AC2xar8Rc3Heq060KznEDfXkZEQvhi-NMv8jvD6PRNGq9AwW-YoBKhEdGeBxU5vDWpP4rthYWFDlYhtlEGWuG8TNPRdr62eDtb2Lq2ZBPhftDmkwsxV8zBRrVSPUrAU3rPMIqBqvj6ZlbG9lEp97o5TSzQhqq3j9OK9FRxV82C6WLTLZI2mDEdVQ1g1fpPEZXVw5syq5SL4kWTuzd7gqs8Ot3BhmwAeFjAKtJ-QVmrYe3P=w808-h606-no?authuser=0

25 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Damn that looks nice. 

One question about the newbuilds -- seems like the style is a lot of sharp corners/edges. Is rounded coping not a thing anymore? I think the "squared" look is much better, I also think about some kid slipping and hitting a corner.

I would say the current style is definitely more modern, hard edges, geometric and less free form flowing.  The way I look at it is that it is stone.  If a person slips, falls, and hits their head it will do damage either way.  Some coping comes with a bull nose edge.  It costs more and can be harder to deal with.  It would not have worked with our round spa.

Serious question... you ever leave the house? If so, why?

I was just talking about this the other day. We moved in three weeks ago and have only gone out to dinner once. Backyard and pool get the evening shade. After work we tend to have a drink or three in the pool and basically eat leftovers from the weekend!

Just now, milkman said:

I was just talking about this the other day. We moved in three weeks ago and have only gone out to dinner once. Backyard and pool get the evening shade. After work we tend to have a drink or three in the pool and basically eat leftovers from the weekend!

It's a hell of a setup. Doing anything else seems like it would be a hassle compared to just hanging out there. 

• Like 1

It's a hell of a setup. Doing anything else seems like it would be a hassle compared to just hanging out there. 

We built the house to entertain. So far it has far exceeded our expectations! It feels like you are at a high end resort and never have to leave!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We built the house to entertain. So far it has far exceeded our expectations! It feels like you are at a high end resort and never have to leave!

This is what we are working on, even though I’m in suburban hell. I have the inside of the house done. Pool is next.

8 hours ago, Quagmire said:

Made some of those pipes that spray the water thru the air , has made a difference , evaporation sucks though

0bef89a98aee34fa4e227198550834ac.jpg

I did this as well and had very good results.  Evaporation is an issue, but, as I understand it, it’s the evaporation process that lowers the water temp.  

Any of you guys with pools have any reservations regarding water use out here, especially this summer?
I water the lawn to just keep it barely alive and give the trees a drink and feel some guilt that I'm using that water. 

Nope. My evaporation has gone way up the last couple weeks. No qualms about keeping it topped off.