The Sopranos

wild_turkey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

Do you fast forward through the Carmela, Melfi, and AJ scenes? I know I do. 

I only watch the Meadow scenes because she's a smoke show. 

I'm one of those people who appreciates every minute of it.  Weird, I suppose. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Enjoy watching Father Phil's attempt to Netflix and chill Carmela. Gripping stuff. 

That's the college visit episode.  Overall, one of my favorites. 

I get that it's not the best moment of the series, but I don't do TV buffet style. 

Just now, dcbc said:

I'm in S2 now.  Have to spend my time absolutely hating Richie Aprile.  But it's good hate.

Richie was my least favorite of the "big bads". Zero charm. None. Just a psycho POS. 

Phil wasn't exactly likable, but he had his moments. And I mean come on, the guy was Billy Batts. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Had to be one of the funniest lines ever. Paulie with ever present misquote then Chris with the alltimer lmao

That whole scene was quite possibly the greatest TV scene of all time.  Starting with “I saw that movie...I thought it was bullshit”

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 7:14 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Richie was my least favorite of the "big bads". Zero charm. None. Just a psycho POS. 

Phil wasn't exactly likable, but he had his moments. And I mean come on, the guy was Billy Batts. 

"It's the jacket!"

18 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

I’m almost through s2 on a rewatch. The only noticeable flaw  is some of the acting.  It’s all fat guys, too. Bobby, Big Pussy, and the FBI agent who meets with Pussy.  They’re kinda cringey. Bobby’s kind of endearing though.

Listened to podcast on the show where they discussed this very thing. Most guys were cast based on look rather than acting ability.

They also noted that Steve Schirripa (Bobby) really improved over the course of the series

1 hour ago, Buddy Hinton said:

Listened to podcast on the show where they discussed this very thing. Most guys were cast based on look rather than acting ability.

They also noted that Steve Schirripa (Bobby) really improved over the course of the series

Name of podcast?

13 hours ago, Wyatt Mann said:

One thing about the sopranos that made me wonder. Everyone who is about to get whacked seems oblivious to it. Adriana lacerva, Angelo garepe, Emil kolar, etc.

And they seem to get over people disappearing/dying relatively easily.

Then you weren't really paying attention.  Most who had a reason to worry about getting whacked were pretty damn scared.  Adriana was a ditzy blond, but as soon as Sil turned off the road, she was shitting her pants.  Pussy on the boat before he got whacked, Paulie on the boat before he didn't get whacked, the guy who was on the lamb when Tony was on the college visit.  There were a couple where the element of surprise was certainly a factor so they never saw it coming, but most who knew it was probably coming were terrified.

And getting over it relatively easily is because that's just part of the lifestyle.  That shit doesn't eat up a mobster or people who are used to being around mobsters like it would normal people.  They all know it's a "disappear" life.  Get whacked or get pinched.

20 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

I’m almost through s2 on a rewatch. The only noticeable flaw  is some of the acting.  It’s all fat guys, too. Bobby, Big Pussy, and the FBI agent who meets with Pussy.  They’re kinda cringey. Bobby’s kind of endearing though.

I think the biggest flaws are the story lines from season to season.  Tony's mother's house sold in season 1 but was a big point of contention in season 2 with his sister and she ended up living there.  I don't think they had planned for a season 2 when they initially wrote it, though so that's probably part of the issue.  And there were sometimes up to like a year or two between seasons in real time so they probably took some liberty knowing most people wouldn't remember (and not thinking about binge watch streaming in the future).

And having all those fat fucking Italians around is pretty damn authentic.

14 hours ago, Wyatt Mann said:

One thing about the sopranos that made me wonder. Everyone who is about to get whacked seems oblivious to it. Adriana lacerva, Angelo garepe, Emil kolar, etc.

And they seem to get over people disappearing/dying relatively easily.

Henry Hill speaks to that in Goodfellas.  “It doesn’t happen like in the movies.  They come with smiles, they come as your friends.  The people who have cared for you your whole life and they always seem to come when you are most in need of their help.”   

It’s this real-life  arrangement/scenario/tradition that an otherwise group of complete fucking idiots like the mafia can get away with as many murders as they have over the last century and why they still handle most jobs internally.  It’s like Pollack in “the usual suspects” when he tells the cops he lives in Queens after they happily declare they place him there the night of the crime.  They come for you or meet you at a place you’ve been to a hundred times.  So you will feel at ease and so they can’t be implicated later.  Only flaw with the arrangement is body disposal.  

Edited by Lobo

Was in NYC a few weeks ago for a weekend getaway and ended up holding the door into a restaurant for a guy I instantly recognized at Michael Imperioli. Wasn't sure what to say so told him I had just finished a rewatch, then shook his hand and both of us went to our respective tables. He was polite but a little gruff. /csb

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Then you weren't really paying attention.  Most who had a reason to worry about getting whacked were pretty damn scared.  Adriana was a ditzy blond, but as soon as Sil turned off the road, she was shitting her pants.  Pussy on the boat before he got whacked, Paulie on the boat before he didn't get whacked, the guy who was on the lamb when Tony was on the college visit.  There were a couple where the element of surprise was certainly a factor so they never saw it coming, but most who knew it was probably coming were terrified.

And getting over it relatively easily is because that's just part of the lifestyle.  That shit doesn't eat up a mobster or people who are used to being around mobsters like it would normal people.  They all know it's a "disappear" life.  Get whacked or get pinched.

Aggie?

Another thing I noticed throughout seasons 1 and 2 is how many times we see Adriana in her underwear. So many talking heads scenes in which she happens to be changing.  It’s like the writers just liked seeing her in her undies.  Or the actress was angling for some Victioria’s Secret modeling work on the side.

Not that I’m complaining, btw.

hmm, that wasn't my take on him at all.  Paulie was a one dimensional guy - all veteran mid level mobster all the time.  In Joe Pistone's "Donnie Brasco" book he describes most of the mobsters as being naturals at grifting and scamming, easily violent, and fairly sociopathic in their disregard for other people (especially citizens), but then outside of that being pretty stupid and uneducated, ignorant of anything outside of their own world and fairly limited stomping grounds, and kinda small town/provincial in that way.  That's Paulie.  It makes him an asshole compared to a regular citizen, but if you chalk the violence up to the world he lives in he's just a consistent guy who lives within the parameters of his world.  He has the emotional maturity of an 11 year old, but that probably reflects reality for a lot of these types.  Ralphie was the biggest asshole in the show.  That guy was a shithead and had been a shithead his whole life because not only was he a mobster, he was inherently shitheaded.

• Like 3