The Sopranos

wild_turkey

My girlfriend and I are re-watching, doing an episode or two per most evenings.  This is her 2nd time through.  Gotta be at least 5 for me.

From the time that I watched the show during its original run, all the way to present day, there was always something about Furio I found vaguely familiar but could never figure out what that was.

Watching tonight, I was suddenly mindblown, and just absolutely astounded that it took me this long to realize that Castelucci is similar looking to Brent Spiner.

Once I saw that, for the rest of tonight's episode I was imagining Furio as Data.

Rewatching this now with the wife.  Prolly the 3rd of 4th time for but the first in over five years.  She's never seen it.  We're midway through Season 2 now.  The wife is like "Can they just kill Richie already?"

What's interesting to me now vs the previous times is Tony's relationship with his family.  Now that I'm older I can identify with that angle a lot better.  He may love his family but they're all a total beating for different reasons.  Also forgot how funny the show was.

On 6/15/2021 at 9:59 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

Rewatching this now with the wife.  Prolly the 3rd of 4th time for but the first in over five years.  She's never seen it.  We're midway through Season 2 now.  The wife is like "Can they just kill Richie already?"

What's interesting to me now vs the previous times is Tony's relationship with his family.  Now that I'm older I can identify with that angle a lot better.  He may love his family but they're all a total beating for different reasons.  Also forgot how funny the show was.

I think the comedic writing on this show didn't get as much praise as it deserved because the show was so incredible in many other respects.  But those comedic bits were brilliant.

2 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I think the comedic writing on this show didn't get as much praise as it deserved because the show was so incredible in many other respects.  But those comedic bits were brilliant.

Paulie might be the unintentionally funniest character in any tv show ever.

1 minute ago, Nole-4-Life said:

Paulie might be the unintentionally funniest character in any tv show ever.

Schirripa and Imperoili have both said on the pod that Sirico is Paulie. They're the same guy. Astonishing that Sirico mixing with really strong personalities in Chase and Weiner didn't blow up at some point. I guess Sirico had the good sense to keep the checks coming in and keep his mouth shut. 

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

I don't remember the episode, but Christopher is summoned to meet with Tony. As soon as he walks in the door Chrissy says:

"Is this about the Easter baskets?"

T: "I don't even want to know what that means."

Little bits like that still crack me up on rewatches. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/15/2021 at 9:59 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

That's a great point.  I was single when the show aired and hated the family scenes.  Having rewatched after having a family those scenes are much more relatable.  I've got a 14 year old son who used to love to roughhouse with me.  Recently he's changed and just whines "stop" if I try to roughhouse him a little.  There's a scene with AJ doing that exact same thing when Tony tries to play.

Hey, does anyone remember the lead in HBO promo before some of the final season's episodes.  It comprised several clips from the Sopranos (and maybe other contemporary HBO shows with Zero 7's In the Waiting Line playing over it.  I've searched high and low for it and haven't founded it on these internets. 

On 6/16/2021 at 3:49 PM, lateshow said:

I don't remember the episode, but Christopher is summoned to meet with Tony. As soon as he walks in the door Chrissy says:

"Is this about the Easter baskets?"

T: "I don't even want to know what that means."

Little bits like that still crack me up on rewatches. 

That’s when Tony was calling him out about not paying for dinner when he was low man and stuck that spaccone Paulie with the bill.  

On 6/17/2021 at 7:56 PM, Wade said:

That's a great point.  I was single when the show aired and hated the family scenes.  Having rewatched after having a family those scenes are much more relatable.  I've got a 14 year old son who used to love to roughhouse with me.  Recently he's changed and just whines "stop" if I try to roughhouse him a little.  There's a scene with AJ doing that exact same thing when Tony tries to play.

That’s the episode where Jackie Jr get clipped.  Tony was being loving.  

On 6/18/2021 at 9:24 PM, Johnny Sack said:

That cocksuckin' piece of shit Tony Soprano's cousin - I can't even say his name

Phil. Phil. Please

*silence*
Im sorry I forgot what we were talkin about?

Me too. The fuck was it!??!?

Oh!!! Carmela….

To the comedy commentary above, for me it was always hilarious. I mean yeah there’s some dark shit of course but watch this and not laugh your ass off

There’s so much fucking gold in pretty much every episode it’s insane

the fucking lunch in the city with the bread rolls?  I can't watch that scene and not cry laughing.  Hits way too fucking close to home.  

The scene where Junior sings at Jackie Jr's wake is such a beautiful scene. It works on so many levels. I'll forgive him for going senile and shooting Tony. 

But Paulie Walnuts is still a better character. Consider all the great Paulie scenes vs all the great Junior scenes. It's no contest. Would you rather watch Paulie freak out on a psychic or watch Junior under house arrest? 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The scene where Junior sings at Jackie Jr's wake is such a beautiful scene. It works on so many levels. I'll forgive him for going senile and shooting Tony. 

But Paulie Walnuts is still a better character. Consider all the great Paulie scenes vs all the great Junior scenes. It's no contest. Would you rather watch Paulie freak out on a psychic or watch Junior under house arrest? 

Respectfully did agree.

They are both great… just different characters. They are all great

except AJ

Edited by Bogeywon
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Junior was the better character.  Go shit in your hat.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow.  I guess this scene had slipped my memory.

It's the episode where Junior is repeating the "never had the makings of a varsity athlete" comment.  Tony eventually loses his shit, telling all concerned that Junior is dead to him.

Then Tony learns that people with demential/alzheimers do this kind of thing, and softens toward Junior.

They're sitting on Junior's sofa, and Tony asks why, if Junior is gonna be repeating stuff over and over, can't it be something nice, why does it have to be something mean?  And then he says to Junior:

"Don't you love me?"

The question is so sincere and vulnerable, and Junior doesn't answer but his chin starts twitching as if he's fighting tears, and the episode ends.

Goddamn that hit me in the heart.  Don't know how I forgot that, it was so powerful.  And it's another of countless examples throughout the series that make clear all the talk of Tony being a sociopath were absurd.  He was just a severely insecure guy whose self-centeredness and narcissism were ego defense mechanisms.  He was not only capable of empathy and other basic human emotions, but there were plenty of scenes as well where he showed sincere generosity and love.  I think the references to 'sociopath' from Melfi's therapist and husband were intended to highlight how lazy we can be when assessing others, especially those who are different from us.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

Holy cow.  I guess this scene had slipped my memory.

It's the episode where Junior is repeating the "never had the makings of a varsity athlete" comment.  Tony eventually loses his shit, telling all concerned that Junior is dead to him.

Then Tony learns that people with demential/alzheimers do this kind of thing, and softens toward Junior.

They're sitting on Junior's sofa, and Tony asks why, if Junior is gonna be repeating stuff over and over, can't it be something nice, why does it have to be something mean?  And then he says to Junior:

"Don't you love me?"

The question is so sincere and vulnerable, and Junior doesn't answer but his chin starts twitching as if he's fighting tears, and the episode ends.

Goddamn that hit me in the heart.  Don't know how I forgot that, it was so powerful.  And it's another of countless examples throughout the series that make clear all the talk of Tony being a sociopath were absurd.  He was just a severely insecure guy whose self-centeredness and narcissism were ego defense mechanisms.  He was not only capable of empathy and other basic human emotions, but there were plenty of scenes as well where he showed sincere generosity and love.  I think the references to 'sociopath' from Melfi's therapist and husband were intended to highlight how lazy we can be when assessing others, especially those who are different from us.

IIRC, Dominic Chianese said that the script didn't call for him to cry.  He just did because Gandolfini was so good in that scene. He also cried when talking about it at the Sopranos reunion.

Edited by Cousin Strawberry
additional info
  • Hook 'Em 4

I'm doing a re-watch to get ready for The Many Saints of Newark. Is Father Phil the dumbest and/or horniest character in television history? I get that he's probably celibate and going through a dry spell. And yes, Edie Falco is extremely attractive. But, dry spell or not, she's not "Sure, I'll fuck the mob boss's wife. What could possibly go wrong?" hot. 

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Probably anchored by the long exposition I read but now pretty obvious Paulie put out the hit on Tony. That's been one of the joys of the re-watch is noticing Paulie's complexities.

Wait what??? Paulie walnuts? Send me a link please

Edited by Bogeywon

I didn't have HBO for the longest time.

Accordingly, my first watch of the Sopranos was marathons on I think A&E.  They would do pretty much a whole season, but in no particular order.  That actually works ok, but it's odd watching the eps/seasons in order for the first time.

11 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Probably anchored by the long exposition I read but now pretty obvious Paulie put out the hit on Tony. That's been one of the joys of the re-watch is noticing Paulie's complexities.

Paulie? Wack the boss?

spacer.png

But… I could be wrong; I’d be interested to read that piece if you have a link.

One of the (many) things that makes the series so great is the deep subtleties and complexities of the characters. Every viewing reveals things you missed previously. 

Pretty good?

What’s funny is that having not seen one second of it during its heyday, it’s a bit jarring to see the origin for so many mob/Italian tropes that are a result of this show. It took a couple of episodes to get past that it wasn’t derivative but it’s the source for everything that came after it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

That theory could be right. But I think Patsy Parisi makes more sense.
  • Like 2