The Sopranos

wild_turkey

On 4/22/2022 at 12:59 PM, Augustus said:

So, was Jimmy Altieri actually a rat?

He got out of jail quickly after the pool table/gun locker bust.  Goes straight to Tony's house and tries to get him to talk about the Colombian safe house robbery.  And when he realizes he's about to be whacked, his response could be interpreted as realizing he's been found out.

But I don't recall any actual confirmation that he was a CI.  Does anyone remember if that ever got confirmed?

As we were watching that episode last night, I got a chuckle thinking about how many capos in the NJ family were ratting out their organization.  

Big Pussy, Jimmy (allegedly), Raymond, Gene and Carlo were all wearing a wire/feeding info to the FBI, etc.  

I think I recall a David Chase interview where he said Altieri was a rat.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/22/2022 at 12:59 PM, Augustus said:

So, was Jimmy Altieri actually a rat?

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Very heavily implied in the episode.  Guys "their thing" didn't call a sit down to discuss old business.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

It’s implied in such an over the top way when Jimmy and Tony are talking in the basement. Something to the effect of “Hey Tony about that cocaine…” I’ve never spoken to my weed guy by his first name and called it marijuana.

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

It’s implied in such an over the top way when Jimmy and Tony are talking in the basement. Something to the effect of “Hey Tony about that cocaine…” I’ve never spoken to my weed guy by his first name and called it marijuana.

Yup. He was a rat. Tony knew 

11 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Yup. He was a rat. Tony knew 

Tony was such a piece of shit. He has a huge grin on his face when he realizes Jimmy is the rat and will get the opportunity to have him killed.  I think its weird they just whack them rather than torture them to find out how long they have been cooperating and what the government knows.  Wouldn't that be valuable information?

26 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Tony was such a piece of shit. He has a huge grin on his face when he realizes Jimmy is the rat and will get the opportunity to have him killed.  I think its weird they just whack them rather than torture them to find out how long they have been cooperating and what the government knows.  Wouldn't that be valuable information?

He has to be killed unexpectedly. There’s always a risk he’s wearing a wire and the feds are listening remotely in real time. They could step in if the witness is in danger. That’s why they took Pussy on that boat. 

This has got to be my 4th re-watch.  And I'm loving it more than ever.

Someone above mentioned depth.

These characters are incredibly 3 dimensional, you forget or fail to notice just how mundane so much of the action is, because it's so consistent with real life.  It's like hanging out with your friends or interacting with your family.  

It's easy now to also forget how out-on-a-limb this show was, with the lead character being so deeply flawed.  We watch him kill a guy early in the first season, in the episode College, and yet we don't like him any less.  In fact, I think we're more likely to think that the "rat" got what he deserved, because we've joined Tony's crew, adopted their codes.

It's the kind of audience subversion Tarantino talks about.  But it also made it possible for us to empathize with people who do some really horrible shit, because the rest of the time they're dealing with the same stresses, the same every day stuff, the same successes and failures we do.

Really amazing.

• Hook 'Em 1

to those^ points...

i've mentioned this before, but Playboy had an article on HBO back when The Sopranos hit big, and they quoted some HBO exec as saying "if it weren't for Oz, The Sopranos would not exist."

it's much less known/popular, but people forget Oz was literally the first of these non-broadcast, antihero as protagonist, ultra violent (for tv at the time) serials. i am definitely not the target audience lol but i loved Oz.

C8DCF3.gif

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I was pretty young but my only memory of OZ was the weights falling on the dude in jail and one dude took a shit on him. I was just waiting for red shoe diaries damnit 

So you came earlier than you expected?

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Edie Falco was in Oz, wasn't she?

yes... she was a guard that was involved with with one of the inmates, smuggled in contraband and such...her character was a single mom and the guy knew her on the outside and was extorting her.

she shot him in the balls during the riot in S2 lol.

Started another re-watch this weekend. I've lost count of how many times I watched. 

Tony was such a horrible person, yet we loved him. It's why folks don't want to believe he died at the end.

Without Tony, we wouldn't have characters like Walter White. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Started another re-watch this weekend. I've lost count of how many times I watched. 

Tony was such a horrible person, yet we loved him. It's why folks don't want to believe he died at the end.

Without Tony, we wouldn't have characters like Walter White. 

If rewatched countless times. By the third or fourth rewatched I no longer liked Tony 

• Like 1

I like Carmela in the final season. She finally understands and accepts her place in life and seems happier for it.

I never bought her struggle to accept Tony's lifestyle/blood money. Feels like something the writers cooked up to keep housewives engaged with the show. Carmela knew Tony since high school and was around the life. She knew exactly what she was signing up for. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, Nole-4-Life said:

Man when she throws Tony's shit out the windows after finding out about the one legged Russian. The ensuing fight is some of the best acting ever put on film. Just outstanding by both Edie and James G.

Whitecaps is a fantastic episode. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/29/2022 at 10:59 PM, NorthLoop said:

I fucking loved OZ, and that came out when I was in HS. I remember watching it with my dad. I think I'd feel weird watching that now with a 14 year old. 

The way they torment the douchebag owner of the Whitecaps house is grade-a trolling. Alan Saperson, was it?

On 5/1/2022 at 4:36 PM, Deej said:

Now, Artie's wife....

On 5/1/2022 at 5:05 PM, Bogeywon said:

Rude af nice warlocks 

On 5/1/2022 at 5:07 PM, Deej said:

download (8).jpeg

Oh indeed. Never seemed realistic that a goofball like Artie could land such a piece of ass.

4 hours ago, Nole-4-Life said:

Man when she throws Tony's shit out the windows after finding out about the one legged Russian. The ensuing fight is some of the best acting ever put on film. Just outstanding by both Edie and James G.

Her disgust when she realized her complete sack of shit husband was banging a one-legged chick… I think she could understand a young “model” type, but a road-hard sidepiece with one leg was the last straw. 

Edited by Dutch

26 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Oh indeed. Never seemed realistic that a goofball like Artie could land such a piece of ass.

Her disgust when she realized her complete sack of shit husband was banging a one-legged chick… I think she could understand a young “model” type, but a road-hard sidepiece with one leg was the last straw. 

Charmaine hated the life. Artie is probably the only square citizen she knows. I can see it. 

19 minutes ago, Elvis said:

I love when Artie cooks the rabbit that he shot for eating his garden.  He later pointed his rabbit rifle at Tony, probably as an analogy for eating his garden.   

I never put it together that the rabbit was from his garden.  

The rifle he pointed at Tony looked like a large caliber. That’s kinda fucked up that he was just ripping off 30.06 rounds in the neighborhood.

12 minutes ago, Elvis said:

He cooks it for the young couple on a stormy night with no electricity.  

“they have to eat what I got”

Charmaine: “ not everyone likes rabbit!”

Charmaine was such a fucking ball breaker. Great rack and I bet she gets mad at Artie for looking type chick

1 hour ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

I never put it together that the rabbit was from his garden.  

The rifle he pointed at Tony looked like a large caliber. That’s kinda fucked up that he was just ripping off 30.06 rounds in the neighborhood.

Yeah, that is usually reserved for kids shooting dogs from their golf cart. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to Pine Barrens in our re-watch.

Every bit as good as the first few times, though I noticed some things that I hadn't paid as much attention to on previous viewings.

Christopher's reaction when he opens the trunk and Valery moves is hilarious.

The look on Paulie's face as he stares out the rear window of Tony's suburban at the end of the episode.

Paulie's excited advice as they're sucking on the ketchup packs:  "Mix it with the relish!!"

I'm glad Gloria will be dead soon. Very hot but my god, the borderline personality disorder is like an aggressive cancer with flesh eating bacteria.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/2/2022 at 5:54 PM, Dutch said:

She was decent looking, even with the one pin gone.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Augustus said:

Finally got to Pine Barrens in our re-watch.

Every bit as good as the first few times, though I noticed some things that I hadn't paid as much attention to on previous viewings.

Christopher's reaction when he opens the trunk and Valery moves is hilarious.

The look on Paulie's face as he stares out the rear window of Tony's suburban at the end of the episode.

Paulie's excited advice as they're sucking on the ketchup packs:  "Mix it with the relish!!"

I'm glad Gloria will be dead soon. Very hot but my god, the borderline personality disorder is like an aggressive cancer with flesh eating bacteria.

Paulie was right though.  Chrissy let the Russian Jap him with the implement.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Deej said:

Carmela upset that Tony banged a one-legged woman even though she was trying to bang a priest...whatever...

And the wall paper guy Vic. Made him a dope lunch and got stiffed after he found out who the husband was after they made out. Best part was she replaced his cooler with the one in his brother Inlaw’s sporting goods store bust 

• Haha 1