The Sopranos

wild_turkey

• 4 weeks later...

Since I was working from home this week and need something to watch as I sit here, I decided to start this series. Never seen an episode before, going in pretty much blind. I've made it to S02E04 thus far. I get a laugh when I recognize some of these actors from other mob movies. Great stuff, looking forward to the rest of the series. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Since I was working from home this week and need something to watch as I sit here, I decided to start this series. Never seen an episode before, going in pretty much blind. I've made it to S02E04 thus far. I get a laugh when I recognize some of these actors from other mob movies. Great stuff, looking forward to the rest of the series. 

Very jealous it’s your first time. But it’s just as good the 8,910th time to

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just rewatched Made in America for the fourth or fifth time, maybe this has been discussed. To me it still seems out of character for Tony to pick that booth (there are empties on the back wall), and then not even look twice at Members Only when he walks in. But if you buy that, who gives him up? Has to be Patsy right? It’s a last minute change of plans by Carmela to go to Holsten’s.  Who else could have known?

I can’t imagine Tony being so distracted not to notice a tail. He spends the whole series checking his rear view. 

57 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Just rewatched Made in America for the fourth or fifth time, maybe this has been discussed. To me it still seems out of character for Tony to pick that booth (there are empties on the back wall), and then not even look twice at Members Only when he walks in. But if you buy that, who gives him up? Has to be Patsy right? It’s a last minute change of plans by Carmela to go to Holsten’s.  Who else could have known?

I can’t imagine Tony being so distracted not to notice a tail. He spends the whole series checking his rear view. 

I believe part of the reason that so many of the diners were callbacks to people throughout the series he'd had run-ins with was to demonstrate it could have been anybody, that his whole life would be spent under constant threat, given how many people he'd fucked over one way or another. 

And he does check out members only guy, but apparently dismisses him as any kind of threat. But he does look over at him.

I'm sure the debate will rage on in some circles forever.  I'd already concluded that he'd been shot, and Chase said some things that solidified that for me, but one of the biggest indicators to me upon re-watch is that if he wasn't, then it made no sense why we spent so much time watching Meadow repeatedly attempt and fail to park her car.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I believe part of the reason that so many of the diners were callbacks to people throughout the series he'd had run-ins with was to demonstrate it could have been anybody, that his whole life would be spent under constant threat, given how many people he'd fucked over one way or another. 

And he does check out members only guy, but apparently dismisses him as any kind of threat. But he does look over at him.

I'm sure the debate will rage on in some circles forever.  I'd already concluded that he'd been shot, and Chase said some things that solidified that for me, but one of the biggest indicators to me upon re-watch is that if he wasn't, then it made no sense why we spent so much time watching Meadow repeatedly attempt and fail to park her car.

Meadow was his guardian angel. She always is there to show up and save him but this time she’s just a hair to late. That’s why the build up. I’ll try to find the artificial that points it all out 

My take the first time I saw it was that Tony got shot. As soon as meadow missed the parallel parking it was obvious what was going to happen.   I just think it was implausible the way it went down. And I don’t buy a tail on AJ either. Are you going to have someone waiting just outside the neighborhood to tell him every time he leaves the house on the off chance he meets up with Tony in a public place? And you’ve got a shooter ready? That’s not credible

But if Patsy set him up, that works. 

these two scenes get me every time I mean there are a million great scenes, but these two just sum it up for me

1. Tony and Chrissy having just an OK decent day having to clean up shit in Philly that Chrissy could not square away....they are fucking lost, Tony just has to take a piss and randomly they come across some other greaseball shit bag bikers from some nothing club trying to just "earn a living" and even though they are in Tony's escalde, in suits, have zero back up, and are not out there doing any street shit at all......well fuck instincts take over and they just have to fucking rip them off.......for some creates of wine

then after it is over it is like two kids that were just fucking off stealing beer from the neighbors garage or something....it is all just a game to them it is just what you do.....when there is opportunity you take it no matter what is going on

2. fucking Furio knocking on that door like a crackhead at their dealers house for like 40 seconds straight......those two dumb fucks in their underwear listening to shit ass MTv unprepared for shit....they show all their cash.....Furio is obsessed over the TV which really tells you the difference between Italy and the Italian mob because you would think Furio would have a truck load of those TVs if he wanted.....then he just rips their asses off for being weak as fuck and walks out and leaves the damn door open with those two chumps just standing there knowing they can't do shit

that was the exact shit that Tony was looking for from Italy and the exact shit he had no use for from New Jersey

as for Tony and the big house I wondered about that too, but Tony kind of talks about it some how Pauly and some of the others never saw fit to have a legit business or a cover for the "W-2"......Paulie was in with Barone Sanitation, but clearly Tony had a big chunk of that and was making something like $120,000 a year on clean money, Tony owned the pork store from when his dad busted it out and it made money, he owned the chicken/egg store where the "The Jews" (Jamab Jews) rented it out from under the owner, and he owned a lot of other shitty property in areas that were coming up and that ownership was seemingly for a long time.....I think there might have been something to the whole taunting Janice about tearing apart the mom's house looking for the treasure stash because maybe Johnny Boy passed a lot of shit on to Tony over the years or Tony just took it over and his mom never knew about all of it.....Tony occasionally wanted to look for cash down there, but he never seemed too concerned about it and his dad probably knew he would always take care of his mom no matter what and that his mom might have fucked off some of the stuff if left to her because she clearly liked the lifestyle too, but was from the olden days when women did not handle money or business 

plus their "family" seemed really like often time the boss was not taking a full tax and that a lot of the original people Jackie, Jr, Tony all were about equal even if one was the boss (Jackie at the time) when he took over for  Ercole 'Eckley' DiMeo when he went to prison

so basically it was three long time old school Capos with a boss in jail that was going to rot and die in there and basically at that time "what was theirs from the family was theirs from the family" and the boss in jail was going to start getting jack shit and no one was left above those three to give a shit about it.....Jackie had a nice house too and Jr was just an old fuck that spent all he got and who knows what he really had, but like Paulie (the joke made to Chrissy about Jr and Paulie when Chrissy is getting married) he was just a guy with no family and nothing to worry about taking are of or leaving shit for....Junior did own the building that Tony shook him down for when Jr needed cash and he probably had more, but he also had a lot of old fucks under him that he probably had to give a bigger piece of things to keep them happy and take care of their families while Tony had a lot of younger guys coming up or guys that had legit jobs (Vito construction ect) that were just getting heavy into the mob.....Tony also had the long time connections to the "civil rights activist" and the politicians as well and that pays.....that was all from the way back with his dad and Jr 

10 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

these two scenes get me every time I mean there are a million great scenes, but these two just sum it up for me

1. Tony and Chrissy having just an OK decent day having to clean up shit in Philly that Chrissy could not square away....they are fucking lost, Tony just has to take a piss and randomly they come across some other greaseball shit bag bikers from some nothing club trying to just "earn a living" and even though they are in Tony's escalde, in suits, have zero back up, and are not out there doing any street shit at all......well fuck instincts take over and they just have to fucking rip them off.......for some creates of wine

then after it is over it is like two kids that were just fucking off stealing beer from the neighbors garage or something....it is all just a game to them it is just what you do.....when there is opportunity you take it no matter what is going on

2. fucking Furio knocking on that door like a crackhead at their dealers house for like 40 seconds straight......those two dumb fucks in their underwear listening to shit ass MTv unprepared for shit....they show all their cash.....Furio is obsessed over the TV which really tells you the difference between Italy and the Italian mob because you would think Furio would have a truck load of those TVs if he wanted.....then he just rips their asses off for being weak as fuck and walks out and leaves the damn door open with those two chumps just standing there knowing they can't do shit

that was the exact shit that Tony was looking for from Italy and the exact shit he had no use for from New Jersey

as for Tony and the big house I wondered about that too, but Tony kind of talks about it some how Pauly and some of the others never saw fit to have a legit business or a cover for the "W-2"......Paulie was in with Barone Sanitation, but clearly Tony had a big chunk of that and was making something like $120,000 a year on clean money, Tony owned the pork store from when his dad busted it out and it made money, he owned the chicken/egg store where the "The Jews" (Jamab Jews) rented it out from under the owner, and he owned a lot of other shitty property in areas that were coming up and that ownership was seemingly for a long time.....I think there might have been something to the whole taunting Janice about tearing apart the mom's house looking for the treasure stash because maybe Johnny Boy passed a lot of shit on to Tony over the years or Tony just took it over and his mom never knew about all of it.....Tony occasionally wanted to look for cash down there, but he never seemed too concerned about it and his dad probably knew he would always take care of his mom no matter what and that his mom might have fucked off some of the stuff if left to her because she clearly liked the lifestyle too, but was from the olden days when women did not handle money or business 

plus their "family" seemed really like often time the boss was not taking a full tax and that a lot of the original people Jackie, Jr, Tony all were about equal even if one was the boss (Jackie at the time) when he took over for  Ercole 'Eckley' DiMeo when he went to prison

so basically it was three long time old school Capos with a boss in jail that was going to rot and die in there and basically at that time "what was theirs from the family was theirs from the family" and the boss in jail was going to start getting jack shit and no one was left above those three to give a shit about it.....Jackie had a nice house too and Jr was just an old fuck that spent all he got and who knows what he really had, but like Paulie (the joke made to Chrissy about Jr and Paulie when Chrissy is getting married) he was just a guy with no family and nothing to worry about taking are of or leaving shit for....Junior did own the building that Tony shook him down for when Jr needed cash and he probably had more, but he also had a lot of old fucks under him that he probably had to give a bigger piece of things to keep them happy and take care of their families while Tony had a lot of younger guys coming up or guys that had legit jobs (Vito construction ect) that were just getting heavy into the mob.....Tony also had the long time connections to the "civil rights activist" and the politicians as well and that pays.....that was all from the way back with his dad and Jr 

I came! Love this type of shit and this is what makes this the best show ever and it it isn’t close. You can analyze the whole whole over different parts and piece it together and I guarantee chase didn’t think of half the cool ass theory’s that people have taken from the show thus making “it up to viewer interpretation”  for the end just like that meadow theory I posted. Listen to the talking sopranos podcast. It’s awesome! So many details will blow your mind

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Just watched S2E9 with the kid.  Paulie freaking out after Chris tells him he saw Mikey Palmice when he was dead on the table (3 o'clock) and Paulie's freaking out over it, going to a psychic, then, ultimately, getting pissed at his priest because his donations should have covered him and how he's hauling a bunch of ghouls around with him, is absolute gold. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Just watched S2E9 with the kid.  Paulie freaking out after Chris tells him he saw Mikey Palmice when he was dead on the table (3 o'clock) and Paulie's freaking out over it, going to a psychic, then, ultimately, getting pissed at his priest because his donations should have covered him and how he's hauling a bunch of ghouls around with him, is absolute gold. 

Paulie and Sil are my favorite characters 

• Hook 'Em 2

I've written a somewhat lengthy interpretation of the Kevin Finnerty dream--on this thread, I think--but every time I watch it I pick up something new.

The first time I saw it (during the original run) I was confused as hell.  But it's really masterfully done and thoroughly represents Tony's denial/delusions and ties in nicely with the Hawthorne quote we saw in the episode "College," about showing a different face to the world than ourselves, and ultimately becoming confused as to which is real.

Just brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Finished the series.  I remember a king time back the pissing and moaning about the ending I concur. 

fuck the ending 

Many who hated it, myself included, over time came round to thinking it was artfully done.

There are some interviews about it that David Chase did over the years, that are helpful in that regard.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 months later...

I've never watched this before because I was part of the poors and didn't have hbo, so I'm watching it now. Loved season 1 and 6 episodes into season 2. Gotta say I'm not enjoying 2 all that much. Some of the storylines aren't really capturing my interest and seem pointless. Probably not a popular take. I'll keep watching and hopefully it will get better. 

I've never watched this before because I was part of the poors and didn't have hbo, so I'm watching it now. Loved season 1 and 6 episodes into season 2. Gotta say I'm not enjoying 2 all that much. Some of the storylines aren't really capturing my interest and seem pointless. Probably not a popular take. I'll keep watching and hopefully it will get better. 

Keep with it. It was a different time. It’s pre 9/11. Pre smart phones. The internet was very new and pc based. On rewatch it seems like such an innocent time.
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Nole-4-Life said:

Honestly on rewatches I skip season 1. It just fell flat for me. The whole show takes off when Ritchie Apriel shows up, IMO.

I used to feel that way until I had a mother in assisted living.  Now, Season 1 hits a lot differently.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, qwertyu1234 said:

It's a retirement community!

SHE WAS ABUSIVE TO THE STAFF!

18 minutes ago, Deej said:

I wish they'd go back and CGI Livia better in those few scenes after Nancy Marchand died

Part of the charm, or so a friend of mine said when saying how great that episode was as a whole, and I brought up the same thing.  If they did it today, we'd end up with Leia "Space Princess" floating around or some such.

Edited by dcbc

16 hours ago, qwertyu1234 said:

This is probably not a big spoiler, if at all, but the bust out storyline is my favorite of the series.

And it's really a nuts-and-bolts breakdown of a very, very common mob activity.  I actually knew a guy that went to prison for a bust out. IIRC, it happened about like the sporting goods store storyline.

On 6/28/2023 at 7:50 PM, Mo Horn said:

You must persist, padawan.

Some of the greatest art that's happened on television is just down the road a ways, so don't give up.

I've done several re-watches over the years, and to this day, every time I start something on HBO, then moment you get the static followed the voices that harmonize, every molecule of cell in my body is anticipating the bass riff at the start of Woke Up This Morning.

• Hook 'Em 8

On 6/28/2023 at 10:50 PM, Mo Horn said:

Season 2 has one of my favorite lines

Spoiler

Edited by HornPhD
Added the video