The Sopranos

wild_turkey

On 3/25/2019 at 1:25 PM, drewcifer said:

Was in NYC a few weeks ago for a weekend getaway and ended up holding the door into a restaurant for a guy I instantly recognized at Michael Imperioli. Wasn't sure what to say so told him I had just finished a rewatch, then shook his hand and both of us went to our respective tables. He was polite but a little gruff. /csb

A buddy of mine was at some sort of Buddhist retreat years ago and met him there.  Said he was a very friendly guy and pretty interesting to talk to.

"For whatever reason, certain incidents have expired lately that, in addition to being dangerous, could have a negative impact on our respective bottom lines.  If there's anything my father thought me, it's this: a pint of blood...costs more than a gallon of gold."

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 4:46 PM, Dolemite said:

If you've never spent a night with that band in Chicago getting into trouble, I highly recommend it.  

Paulie Walnuts was probably the biggest asshole on the show, the most unlikable character, and one of the few to survive!

WTF is wrong with you?

Paulie Walnuts is the man. Not a pussy like Tony or a intellectual like Silvio. He’s a mobster and accepts his calling

I think that, despite being a career criminal, Bobby was actually a good guy.  I think he'd have preferred a life where nobody got hurt if he had the choice. 

His dad was a mobster, so he became a mobster.  If his dad were a longshoreman, that's probably what he would have ended up doing.  

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 6:56 PM, Gil Bang said:

I think that, despite being a career criminal, Bobby was actually a good guy.  I think he'd have preferred a life where nobody got hurt if he had the choice. 

His dad was a mobster, so he became a mobster.  If his dad were a longshoreman, that's probably what he would have ended up doing.  

The episode where Tony made Bobby whack the French Canadian guy was really sad. It just crushed him. 

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:48 PM, dcbc said:

Christopher's intervention is the bookend to the speeches at Livia's wake.  It's long, but worth it. 

/sorry about the subtitles

worth the watch! they'd have to get all of the people that every lived!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The episode where Tony made Bobby whack the French Canadian guy was really sad. It just crushed him. 

Tony was a complete bastard at that point. The thing with Bobby.  Triggering Janice on purpose.  How he treated Hesh over the loan.  Killing Chrissy and being happy about it.  Beating up his body guard for no reason.  Not helping Vito’s wife.   Not letting Eugene move.  

Only redeeming thing he did in season 6 was beat the shit out of that ass who messed with Meadow at the restaurant.  

• Like 1

Tony was a complete bastard at that point. The thing with Bobby.  Triggering Janice on purpose.  How he treated Hesh over the loan.  Killing Chrissy and being happy about it.  Beating up his body guard for no reason.  Not helping Vito’s wife.   Not letting Eugene move.  
Only redeeming thing he did in season 6 was beat the shit out of that ass who messed with Meadow at the restaurant.  

Agree, I could put aside all of Tony’s failings because he was a mobster doing monster things but there have been some awful people in history who at least cared about their family. When Tony killed Chris that showed how truly narcissistic and what a monster he truly was.

20 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

He was a complete bastard as far back as season two.  Starting with the bust out of David Scatino’s sporting goods store.  I think it was Ritchie who really brought out the shitbag in Tony.

33 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Agree, I could put aside all of Tony’s failings because he was a mobster doing monster things but there have been some awful people in history who at least cared about their family. When Tony killed Chris that showed how truly narcissistic and what a monster he truly was.

True he was a monster.  That was always the case.  He was also tired of the BS.  THings were unravelling and Chris was a weak link that would eventually be exploited.  t was more self preservation and covering his ass, and eliminating one more area where he had constant worry and looking over his shoulder to see what Chris would mess up next.  He was the ultimate weak link.  I always felt it was a pretty fitting end and scene that gave tony an "out".  Chris was likely going to die anyway.  

He had given Christopher many breaks up to that point. He sent him to rehab when he probably should have had him taken out. When they got in that wreck, Tony realized he would never stay clean and he had to go. That’s the thing with Tony. There are a lot of examples of him trying to do the right thing, but ultimately his real job made his choices for him.

I'm glad Paulie lived.  Likable asshole our all the assholes.

Chris was the shittiest most annoying one on the show.  I wish he would have went out worse.

Tony did what he had to do as mentioned by others....he had to go so he stops hurting others and no risk of bringing down the family.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Finished the series last month. “Dont Stop Believing” playing in a burger place right now...I cant enjoy my food. Keep looking at the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a Freshman in hs when that song came out.   Until the last episode of The Sopranos, when I heard it, I would think back to that time.

Now when I hear it, I think of onion rings and a man in a Members Only jacket.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PilotsError said:

True.  But....that pole went through the empty child seat.  One could argue Chris had caused enough people to suffer.  Time to go.

Yep, that's what finally pushed Tony over the edge on Chris.  Tony had tried to get him clean for years, both because I think he genuinely loved him as his uncle and because he didn't want Chris "flipping" on him over drug charges.  But seeing that Chris' problem might hurt a kid...that was it.

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Yep, that's what finally pushed Tony over the edge on Chris.  Tony had tried to get him clean for years, both because I think he genuinely loved him as his uncle and because he didn't want Chris "flipping" on him over drug charges.  But seeing that Chris' problem might hurt a kid...that was it.

That plays out in one of the last, if not the last episode, when Dr Melfi is at a dinner party with friends\colleagues and the discussion of therapy from criminals and psychopaths comes up.  It was then that she realized Tony is indeed a psychopath.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I was a Freshman in hs when that song came out.   Until the last episode of The Sopranos, when I heard it, I would think back to that time.

Now when I hear it, I think of onion rings and a man in a Members Only jacket.

Now, when I watch that scene, all I can hear is that bell on the door and watch the perspective change from Tony's to the audience.  Back and forth until black.

Speaking of music, I feel like a dope for not realizing until recently that The Sopranos never used original scores.  Everything was prerecorded material, except for maybe that shitty fake band Adriana wanted to sign. Just never thought about it.

Edited by CurlyDumps

damn not one mention of fucking Furio

he was a straight up savage

everything about this shit makes me laugh especially leaving the door open at the end

another part that made me laugh my ass off (well more so than most of the show) was the part when Tony and Sil were telling Chrissy to get married and Tony says "you do not want to end up like my Uncle Junior" and then Sil says "or Paulie" with Paulie right there and they all just laugh at him...but Paulie was kind of correct that marriage and the mob does not work well 

here are a couple of other songs

when Adriana was dancing at the club

Put me down for Paulie tattling to Johnny Sac as the most annoying story line. At different points it almost got Tony, Ralphie, and Carmine whacked. 

I get it they had to humanize Paulie some. Paul Gulatieri can really act. The scenes with his mother at the end of the series were really touching. He should have gotten more roles, but what else are you going to put him in? 

I realize this is trivial to anything really, but one part that struck me as bad writing was when they were in Italy negotiating the prices of the cars

the prices they were giving for those used Land Rovers and Mercedes were more than some of those cars cost new today...they were talking $80,000 or more I just thought it was a real glaring point in a couple of those episodes

the song from Chrissy and Furio and the others all strung out

On 4/10/2019 at 12:07 PM, Hate said:

That plays out in one of the last, if not the last episode, when Dr Melfi is at a dinner party with friends\colleagues and the discussion of therapy from criminals and psychopaths comes up.  It was then that she realized Tony is indeed a psychopath.

This is just me being nitpicky, and I do it every time this comes up.

Tony Soprano was not a psychopath/sociopath.  He was clearly capable of feeling empathy, as well as guilt, remorse, shame, etc--all of which sociopaths are incapable.  His emotional breakdown upon AJ's suicide attempt was one among a ton of examples that he feels the full range of human emotions/empathy that normal people experience.

Psychopaths don't need therapy because they don't experience conflicted emotions over such things.  Tony definitely needed therapy.

I think it's pretty clear Tony checked the boxes for narcissistic personality disorder and probably borderline personality disorder, as well.

It always annoyed me there characters who played mental health professionals referring to him as a sociopath.