The Sopranos

wild_turkey

4 hours ago, Augustus said:

This is just me being nitpicky, and I do it every time this comes up.

Tony Soprano was not a psychopath/sociopath.  He was clearly capable of feeling empathy, as well as guilt, remorse, shame, etc--all of which sociopaths are incapable.  His emotional breakdown upon AJ's suicide attempt was one among a ton of examples that he feels the full range of human emotions/empathy that normal people experience.

Psychopaths don't need therapy because they don't experience conflicted emotions over such things.  Tony definitely needed therapy.

I think it's pretty clear Tony checked the boxes for narcissistic personality disorder and probably borderline personality disorder, as well.

It always annoyed me there characters who played mental health professionals referring to him as a sociopath.

Yeah.  I was thinking about this while rewatching the series. One episode in season 3 or 4 is centered around Tony being worried how people perceive him.  Specifically he seems distraught over the idea that people see him as a monster. I’m no expert but this seems like a clear demonstration of empathy.  

From what I gather Johnny Soprano had NPD and Livia had BPD.  Obviously Tony (and Janice) were both fucked up by their parents. So maybe Tony has some mutated version of one, or the other, or both. While also suffering from depression 

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:33 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Put me down for Paulie tattling to Johnny Sac as the most annoying story line. At different points it almost got Tony, Ralphie, and Carmine whacked. 

I get it they had to humanize Paulie some. Paul Gulatieri can really act. The scenes with his mother at the end of the series were really touching. He should have gotten more roles, but what else are you going to put him in? 

Almost got Johnny wacked too.  When he could not get over the Ginny Sack joke.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 4:33 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Paul Gulatieri can really act. The scenes with his mother at the end of the series were really touching. He should have gotten more roles, but what else are you going to put him in? 

I think he could play a new dog on Family Guy if Brian ever dies.  That could be cool.

3 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Pauly was great. At Chris's intervention when it comes out that he killed Cosette, everyone except Pauli is appalled.  His response is "what?  Was it barkin'?"

One of the great subtle lines from the Sopranos.  Couple other favorite...

When Paulie gets outa the clink and comes back to the Bing and they play “his song”.  Bobby looks right at Christopher and says, “What the fuck?  Why is this his song?”  Cracks me up for some reason.

Also, when Tony’s in the car going on and on about Gary Cooper and he throws out a hypothetical that he’d probably just end up gay and have issues with that in today’s society.  And Christopher chimes in with, “He was gay...Gary Cooper?”  Totally missing the point.  Lmfao every time.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

When Paulie gets outa the clink and comes back to the Bing and they play “his song”.  Bobby looks right at Christopher and says, “What the fuck?  Why is this his song?”  Cracks me up for some reason.

Also, when Tony’s in the car going on and on about Gary Cooper and he throws out a hypothetical that he’d probably just end up gay and have issues with that in today’s society.  And Christopher chimes in with, “He was gay...Gary Cooper?”  Totally missing the point.  Lmfao every time.

Also, when Tony is asking Christopher if the two Arabs could be terrorists. Christopher says he doesn’t think so because “Mohammed and his girlfriend have a dog. A springer spaniel.”

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Also, when Tony is asking Christopher if the two Arabs could be terrorists. Christopher says he doesn’t think so because “Mohammed and his girlfriend have a dog. A springer spaniel.”

LMAO! there are so many good ones

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Couple more I thought of...

When Johnny Sack is taking Tony for a ride in his new Maserati and Tony barely fits and goes straight to, “What’s Jenny think of it?”  John says, “She loves it.  She hasn’t ridden in it on account of her bad knees.”  The smirk on Tony’s face is priceless.

Also, at Sunday dinner with (I think) one of Meadow’s friends.  Somehow the topic of homosexuality comes up and Tony looks straight at one of them and says, “No offense...” and the kid jumps in with, “Oh, I’m not gay.”  Tony doubles down with, “You’re not?”  Can’t wait to use that on one of the little punks my daughter brings home.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Pauly was great. At Chris's intervention when it comes out that he killed Cosette, everyone except Pauli is appalled.  His response is "what?  Was it barkin'?"

I liked when it was Silvio's turn to air grievances at the intervention. He comes up with:

"That time I came to pick you up to do that thing Christopher and you were so messed up you were puking in the toilet, and the toilet water got on your hair. Disgusting."

Fucking kills me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Landomatic said:

one of the things that is the funniest to me is the dumb mobster always taking everything literally.  they just don''t get the double entendre, everything it taken at face value regardless of the absurdity of the statement...

usually followed with "get the fuck out!"

Edited by Mileslong

Damn I just finished rewatching this about a month ago, but I may need to start over again.

I don’t know if it’s the best show that’s ever been on TV as that’s pretty subjective.  But, objectively, it’s easily in the top 5 and it’s not even close.

So.  Much.  Greatness.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smuggs said:

I liked when it was Silvio's turn to air grievances at the intervention. He comes up with:

"That time I came to pick you up to do that thing Christopher and you were so messed up you were puking in the toilet, and the toilet water got on your hair. Disgusting."

Fucking kills me.

I said my piece, Chrissy!

• Haha 1

Tony to Junior after Junior tells him about a retarded brother of his and Johnny Boy's that Tony did not know about;

"I remember my mother and my father arguing about something, I don't know. And, uh she kept talking about my father's feeble minded brother, but I always thought she meant you."

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

A minor thing, but Paulie repeating his jokes always got me. “T did you hear what I said? He said ‘go fuck your mother’ and I said.....”

Almost everything Paulie did or said on the show cracked me up. That fucking guy, lol.

9 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Almost everything Paulie did or said on the show cracked me up. That fucking guy, lol.

This ^

It started for me about the time they were in Starbucks looking for a guy and Paulie kept calling it eXpresso and then stole like a mug or something just to show those fuckers what was up

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Tony to Junior after Junior tells him about a retarded brother of his and Johnny Boy's that Tony did not know about;

"I remember my mother and my father arguing about something, I don't know. And, uh she kept talking about my father's feeble minded brother, but I always thought she meant you."

This lead to another great exchange.

Tony- “Found out I had another uncle. A retarted uncle. My fathers brother, that nobody told me about. You believe this shit?”

Melfi- “Was he seriously developmentally disabled?”

Tony- “Serious? Nah, he had everybody in stitches back then.”

• Like 1

This ^
It started for me about the time they were in Starbucks looking for a guy and Paulie kept calling it eXpresso and then stole like a mug or something just to show those fuckers what was up

Always loved the look on his face when they were in Italy sitting down for a nice meal. “Can I just get some macaroni and gravy?”

Couple more I thought of...
When Johnny Sack is taking Tony for a ride in his new Maserati and Tony barely fits and goes straight to, “What’s Jenny think of it?”  John says, “She loves it.  She hasn’t ridden in it on account of her bad knees.”  The smirk on Tony’s face is priceless.

It’s the look on his face after the smirk that gets me. Gandolfini was at his best when he wasn’t speaking.

22 hours ago, staley said:

“You’ve got mayonnaise on your chin.”

”what?”

”mayonnaise! MAYONNAISE!”

just re watched Pine Barrens the other night.

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri   You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator.

Christopher Moltisanti : His house looked like shit.

18 hours ago, Player said:

Always loved the look on his face when they were in Italy sitting down for a nice meal. “Can I just get some macaroni and gravy?”

"And you thought the Germans were classless pieces of shit."

Edited by Dutch

Whenever Tony is referring to the place he put his mother, he’s always trying to sell it by over-protesting that it’s  a “retirement community” then when he’s talking shit about someone else putting their mother in there it’s a “fucking nursing home”

21 hours ago, MAROON said:

just re watched Pine Barrens the other night.

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri   You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator.

Christopher Moltisanti : His house looked like shit.

It was Chechens. But still a really funny line. 

everyone knew what was coming with Paulie and the intervention "we said not judgemental"......"fuck that!"

another one that cracked me up was when Patsy and the other guy were doing collections at the chicken store and Jamba Juice was moving in and the owner told them and they were like Jews what Jews...no not Jews.....Juice Juice

also when Tony was having a really great day after agreeing to buy the beach house and comes rolling into the driveway and runs his golf clubs and all his other shit over not even paying attention

• 7 months later...

I’m rewatching the first couple seasons. My sliding door thought: Junior wanted to kill Christopher after hijacking his trucks. Livia talked him out of it because... Christopher installed storm windows on her house. Storm windows saved his life. 

Imagine how different the show is if Christopher gets whacked in Season 1. Tony would have to step up and respond in a big way to save face. Bobby and Junior’s entire crew most likely get killed, and maybe even Junior goes too. At a minimum, it’s a darker more violent show. 

• 4 months later...

Ahem.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/05/the-sopranos-david-chase-coronavirus-scene.html?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email

It’s not an official answer to the most debated question in television history, but hey, gather ’round with some gabagool anyway. Or better yet, talk it over with your therapist. On the newest episode of Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa’s delightful podcast Talking Sopranos, the duo unveiled a brand-new scene written by The Sopranos’ creator David Chase about how our first family of mobsters would handle quarantine amid the coronavirus pandemic. “It’s the first time he’s written them since 2007,” Schirripa noted about Chase’s lines, “and he was nice enough to let us read that.” The scene itself transcends reality thanks to the inclusion of a few long-dead characters, but since Tony himself is involved, we’re just going to assume he did not get shot at that diner

“Things are tough right now with all the bad news and things that are going on, it’s nice to have something to laugh about,” Imperioli said. “David thought it was important to bring some levity to the world, and he wrote these lines about the Soprano characters relating to the coronavirus.” We went ahead and transcribed the entirety of what was read aloud on the podcast — which, for continuity purposes, we can surmise was set in late March or early April. When you’re done luxuriating in this nostalgia TV bath, here’s how 34 other shows would’ve handled the pandemic, too.

Spoiler

PAULIE WALNUTS: Man, people call me a germaphobe. Big laugh. Now all I’ve got to say is: See, motherfuckers? And I knew some fuckin’ thing like this was going to happen. I saw the Holy Mother at Bada Bing.

TONY SOPRANO: Sports betting? Fucking gone with the wind, along with professional sports. Me and my friends are dying over here. The president might have a point. Let’s get business and manufacturing going again — by Easter, May Day, whatever the fuck.

MEADOW SOPRANO: I should’ve gone to medical school. I feel so bad about my decision.

CARMELA SOPRANO: I’m so glad my daughter didn’t go to medical school. Imagine where’d she be right now.

CHRISTOPHER MOLTISANTI: I’ve been to Hollywood. Out there they should call it the swine flu.

ADRIANA LA CERVA: I’d volunteer or something. I feel so bad. I’ve been crying a lot, but I got an underlying condition. Irritable bowel syndrome, right? I can’t reach my doctor to find out if that would exclude me passing out masks or something.

DR. MELFI: I’m on the second line over the hospital. When and if those brave docs burn out, I’m out next.

A.J. SOPRANO: At one time I wanted to work for Trump. You believe it? Fuck me, dude.

CARMELA: We’re not doing well with the quarantine in our house. It’s making me face the music that this is a dysfunctional family. But it’s keeping my husband in, which is good.

TONY: Bing fuckin’ shut down, my income stream was already compromised. We can keep the pork store open, though, essential critical infrastructure. Pork!

SILVIO DANTE: We told the girls we’d keep them all on furlough. Lap dancers were the first to go.

JUNIOR SOPRANO: What’s everybody upset about?

JOHNNY SACK: It used to be part of our thing, going to the mattresses. But this? 

BOBBY BACALA: Yes, that’s all emergency. I took all this shit because I got my predictions about it wrong. They said Quasimodo, T said Nostradamus, my wife bought a Nostradamus book, and I looked and it didn’t say anything about this. Weird thing is, though, my son Robert went to Notre Dame.

JUNIOR: I saw on Fox this jerk-off, the lieutenant governor of Texas, said he didn’t mind dying to help the economy because he’s over 70 with some grandkids or some shit. Maybe we can help him out with that.

PHIL LEOTARDO: Truckload of hand sanitizer, I’m cleaning up.

TONY: In my father’s day, you got polio, tuberculous, whatever the fuck, you dealt with it. Whatever happen to Gary Cooper?

LIVIA SOPRANO: You know what I’m gonna say.

Guest Lobo

David Chase created, developed, and wrote a brilliant show.  Then he got all pissed off that people noticed his art and wanted more of it.  So he jettisoned it and got pissed off that we liked it.  Seems like he's still not over it 13 years later.  He helped kill James Gandolfini in real life, maybe that wasn't enough for him.  Let's let him kill the show's legacy as well.  

Guest Lobo

I heard from Artie Peskin (creative consultant to the show) that Chase's bullshit caused Gandolfini much stress.  Chase in an asshole according to every single person.  Probably some hyperbole, didn't think a sopranos thread was suddenly the place for dead serious pragmatism.  This guy said that Chase's shit was burdensome to James.  Obviously James' lack of physical health was a huge factor.  Forgot that Surly was where Hollywood health issues came to be fleshed out.  This guy that worked with the showrunners said David Chase's shit took a toll on Gandolfini along with James' shitty lifestyle. Or not, delete the post...who cares? 

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Ahem.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/05/the-sopranos-david-chase-coronavirus-scene.html?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email

Reveal hidden contents

PAULIE WALNUTS: Man, people call me a germaphobe. Big laugh. Now all I’ve got to say is: See, motherfuckers? And I knew some fuckin’ thing like this was going to happen. I saw the Holy Mother at Bada Bing.

TONY SOPRANO: Sports betting? Fucking gone with the wind, along with professional sports. Me and my friends are dying over here. The president might have a point. Let’s get business and manufacturing going again — by Easter, May Day, whatever the fuck.

MEADOW SOPRANO: I should’ve gone to medical school. I feel so bad about my decision.

CARMELA SOPRANO: I’m so glad my daughter didn’t go to medical school. Imagine where’d she be right now.

CHRISTOPHER MOLTISANTI: I’ve been to Hollywood. Out there they should call it the swine flu.

ADRIANA LA CERVA: I’d volunteer or something. I feel so bad. I’ve been crying a lot, but I got an underlying condition. Irritable bowel syndrome, right? I can’t reach my doctor to find out if that would exclude me passing out masks or something.

DR. MELFI: I’m on the second line over the hospital. When and if those brave docs burn out, I’m out next.

A.J. SOPRANO: At one time I wanted to work for Trump. You believe it? Fuck me, dude.

CARMELA: We’re not doing well with the quarantine in our house. It’s making me face the music that this is a dysfunctional family. But it’s keeping my husband in, which is good.

TONY: Bing fuckin’ shut down, my income stream was already compromised. We can keep the pork store open, though, essential critical infrastructure. Pork!

SILVIO DANTE: We told the girls we’d keep them all on furlough. Lap dancers were the first to go.

JUNIOR SOPRANO: What’s everybody upset about?

JOHNNY SACK: It used to be part of our thing, going to the mattresses. But this? 

BOBBY BACALA: Yes, that’s all emergency. I took all this shit because I got my predictions about it wrong. They said Quasimodo, T said Nostradamus, my wife bought a Nostradamus book, and I looked and it didn’t say anything about this. Weird thing is, though, my son Robert went to Notre Dame.

JUNIOR: I saw on Fox this jerk-off, the lieutenant governor of Texas, said he didn’t mind dying to help the economy because he’s over 70 with some grandkids or some shit. Maybe we can help him out with that.

PHIL LEOTARDO: Truckload of hand sanitizer, I’m cleaning up.

TONY: In my father’s day, you got polio, tuberculous, whatever the fuck, you dealt with it. Whatever happen to Gary Cooper?

LIVIA SOPRANO: You know what I’m gonna say.

"sinceTony himself is involved, we’re just going to assume he did not get shot at that diner"

He didn't get shot at the diner. We didn't see him get shot at the diner. We didn't hear him get shot at the diner. We weren't told he got shot at the diner. What happens in the show is what happens in the show and Tony getting shot at the diner didn't happen in the show. 

It shouldn't be such a hard concept to grasp. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I heard from Artie Peskin (creative consultant to the show) that Chase's bullshit caused Gandolfini much stress.  Chase in an asshole according to every single person.  Probably some hyperbole, didn't think a sopranos thread was suddenly the place for dead serious pragmatism.  This guy said that Chase's shit was burdensome to James.  Obviously James' lack of physical health was a huge factor.  Forgot that Surly was where Hollywood health issues came to be fleshed out.  This guy that worked with the showrunners said David Chase's shit took a toll on Gandolfini along with James' shitty lifestyle. Or not, delete the post...who cares? 

So, six years after the show ends, it's Chase's fault he dies?

37 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Anyone who thinks Tony didn't get shot is an absolute fuckstick.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/01/the-sopranos-ending-david-chase-killed-tony-dead-1202034899/

“I had another scene that was going to be Tony’s death, that we were going to do,” Chase said. “That was two years or three years before we came up with the other one. So, there was a death scene. Tony drives back into the Lincoln tunnel, he goes for a meeting with Phil Leotardo, and he’s killed. I don’t think you were going to see the death, but you were going to know that he was dead. Whenever the show went off the air, we were going to use that, and then I just changed my mind. I decided to do this instead. I thought it was more interesting.”

Chase’s preference for cutting to black and keeping Tony’s fate a mystery appealed just as strongly to his fellow writers Terence Winter and Matthew Weiner, both of whom went on to create acclaimed dramas “Boardwalk Empire” and “Mad Men,” respectively. Winter told Deadline the scene’s power lay not in leaving Tony’s fate ambiguous but in serving as a microcosm of Tony’s entire predicament as a gangster.

Chase’s preference for cutting to black and keeping Tony’s fate a mystery appealed just as strongly to his fellow writers Terence Winter and Matthew Weiner, both of whom went on to create acclaimed dramas “Boardwalk Empire” and “Mad Men,” respectively. Winter told Deadline the scene’s power lay not in leaving Tony’s fate ambiguous but in serving as a microcosm of Tony’s entire predicament as a gangster.

“My interpretation was that, when you’re Tony Soprano, even going out for ice cream with your family is fraught with paranoia,” Winter said. “He’s sown a life of murder, mayhem and treachery. And everybody who walks in, a guy in a Member’s Only jacket…this could be the guy, or that could be the guy. You’re always looking over your shoulder and at some point, whether it happened that night or not, when you live that life, one day, somebody’s going to walk out of a men’s room and that’s it for you.”

Winter continued, “As we know famously from gangsters, they always say there’s only two ways to get out of this: one’s jail, the other’s dead. So maybe it happened that night, and maybe it didn’t. It really didn’t matter. At some point, something bad’s going to happen to this guy and maybe it was that night. And maybe not.”

Weiner said the series could have only ended in three possible ways: “Life goes on the way it is. Tony gets arrested and goes to jail. Tony is shot and killed by an enemy.” For the “Mad Men” creator, Chase’s cut to black is so powerful because it leaves all of these three endings in play without bringing the entire series to a finite end.

“The brilliance of it for me is, it doesn’t feel unresolved any more than life does,” Weiner said. “You know it’s one of those possibilities. They’re all there in the scene. The family is there, the domestic life. There is definitely an assassin there, and definitely someone who looks like a cop there. So all of that is there, and what you don’t do is ruin the rest of the series for me. I didn’t find it confusing or upsetting at all.”