Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

Need tapa back so I can post pictures. Just got a bed cover installed for the first time. It’s one of the new Undercover Ultraflex folding covers. So far I like it and it will make life a lot easier on the multiple beach trips every year.

Edited by Brew

Switching back to Ford from RAM.  Just ordered 2019 F350, 6.7L diesel, 4 door, 4x4, Super Lariat package, rigged for towing. 

Will put leveling kit on front and load leveler airbags in back.  Will pull the wheels and tires and go with Nitto and some not so garish after market rims.

I enjoyed the RAM for the Cummins diesel and the Megacab but the experiment is over. Also going back to white. The black RAM was sharp looking but hell to keep halfway clean looking.  Every trip to deer lease made the truck look like hell. 

I am not sure if I am a truck nut, but I think my Tacoma is a great vehicle.  I am looking forward to getting a new one in a few years.  Anyways, I got this Truxedo Lo Pro bed cover last summer for about $450 installed.  Been very happy with it.  Those metal ones that roll up and also lock seem great, but pricey.

xKIheUI.jpg

10 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I am not sure if I am a truck nut, but I think my Tacoma is a great vehicle.  I am looking forward to getting a new one in a few years.  Anyways, I got this Truxedo Lo Pro bed cover last summer for about $450 installed.  Been very happy with it.  Those metal ones that roll up and also lock seem great, but pricey.

xKIheUI.jpg

Nice! 

Yeah I really wanted a roll-n-lock last year, but balked at the price. Ended up picking up a used shell, and Have been really happy with it. Its nice to be able to carry things around in the back without fear of them walking away.

2 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Ford fuckers: is there a way to buy a new Ford (say F-250) and get a better price than my local, shitty dealership?  Is anyone doing fly-and-drives on Ford vehicles?  

try searching on autotrader. I've bought two F150s in Houston and always gotten a great deal. If you're in Texas I'd look in Houston.

Mac Haik Ford

Autonation

Planet Ford

Joe Myers

etc

On 3/27/2018 at 4:46 PM, Yarbr said:

Same here, what motor Hookem?

It is a 2011 Ecoboost. I have modified it some with the catch can, new plugs with proper gap and a pin hole in inter cooler. Definitely needed it, runs so much better with those mods. Only issue I have is the timing chain slap when it starts cold. Not gonna pay to get that fixed when I had a buddy do it and the issue came back for him. Basically wasted several grand. 

I have always driven vehicles to 120k or so. Pay cash and get 7-8 years out of them.  

Edited by HOOKEM4

On 3/27/2018 at 11:42 AM, Teddyballgame said:

traded my 150 in for a tundra---always driven f150's but really liking the Tundraimg%5D

What package did you go with? I have had Latriats for along time but the price point on a Tundra is making me pump my brakes on another F150

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

It is a 2011 Ecoboost. I have modified it some with the catch can, new plugs with proper gap and a pin hole in inter cooler. Definitely needed it, runs so much better with those mods. Only issue I have is the timing chain slap when it starts cold. Not gonna pay to get that fixed when I had a buddy do it and the issue came back for him. Basically wasted several grand. 

I have always driven vehicles to 120k or so. Pay cash and get 7-8 years out of them.  

I have a 14 ecoboost. I've read about that timing chain rattle on f150 forum, thank goodness it hasn't happened to mine yet.  I drilled the hole at about 50K and have a changed the plugs a couple times, really makes a difference.  I don't know if you're in to this sort of thing, but at 100K I installed a 5 start tune and man it hauls ass (great throttle response and shift points) and pulls really well, not that it didn't already, but it is a noticeable difference.

Really don't have a need for the tune. It is a beast as is. I am staring down the $1600 for new at/ko2 tires. Need some new shoes to last me till I am on to a new truck. Dont want to put too much more money into her.

Edited by HOOKEM4

12 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Really don't have a need for the tune. It is a beast as is. I am staring down the $1600 for new at/ko2 tires. Need some new shoes to last me till I am on to a new truck. Dont want to put too much more money into her.

If that is the case, take a look at the Falken WildPeak AT3W tires. Cheap, but they have been great so far and look good too.

I fat fingered when I input tire size. It is closer to $1300 I guess. Looks like those Falkens are $100 cheaper total. May check into them. I have just run BFG's on every truck I have ever owned thats why I keep going back. I know one thing, I wont put those pos pirelli scorpion tires back on that came from the factory. Made it less than 30k on those before they were unusable.  

Understood, it was hard for me to get away from the Michelin "all terrains", especially when they gave me $100 for the set I had on there that had 55,000 miles on them.  All in I paid $818, excluding the credit, and no damage/flat coverage.

Edited by Yarbr
275/70/r18

29 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I fat fingered when I input tire size. It is closer to $1300 I guess. Looks like those Falkens are $100 cheaper total. May check into them. I have just run BFG's on every truck I have ever owned thats why I keep going back. I know one thing, I wont put those pos pirelli scorpion tires back on that came from the factory. Made it less than 30k on those before they were unusable.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I like the Nitto Terra Grappler tires if you want a little savings. They’re bad ass and last long. I have the KO2s on my truck and the Nittos on my Tahoe. The KO2s are definitely a better ride but you pay for it. /Notsohumblebrag

E78ihxV.jpg

Bought her with 99K miles on the clock, soon after had to replace the high pressure fuel pump and rails, then installed a tuner and a couple other things.  I'll leave it at that.  Not near as fun as the stang, but nice getting into something that can tow the boat like it's not back there.

On 3/27/2018 at 4:00 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

Just turned over 100k on my F150. Starting to get the itch for a new one.

psssh. im at 177K on my truck and counting.  just took it in for my first maintenance problem (leaking AC hose).

5 hours ago, texasjacket said:

What package did you go with? I have had Latriats for along time but the price point on a Tundra is making me pump my brakes on another F150

I always had an XLT used as a work truck so nothing too fancy,  last one was 2013 and I put 178,000 miles on it in four years.   The Tundra is the TSS package,  basically ungraded SR5 has pretty everything the Limiteds do except leather/Sunroof.   Really liking it so far

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Any thoughts on f150 drivetains?  

5.0 w 6 speed

old ecoboost w 6 speed 

new ecoboost w 10 speed

are there others?

I'd never drive the 5.0 after owning the 3.5 ecoboost, only thing that compares is the GM 6.2.  That should piss some people off.

Edited by Yarbr

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

5.0 w 6 speed

old ecoboost w 6 speed 

new ecoboost w 10 speed

are there others?

I prefer the eco boost in the ‘15. I haven’t really liked the ‘17 with the 10 speed. It’s not as smooth and the transmission gets caught hunting for gears. I’ve also not seen any discernible increase in mileage with right at 20k miles on the new one.

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

5.0 w 6 speed

old ecoboost w 6 speed 

new ecoboost w 10 speed

are there others?

I have an 18 4x4 with the 10 speed and 2.7 ecoboost. It's way more fun to drive than my brothers 5.0 V8 6 speed. I'm a little nervous about the reliability of the 10spd, but so far it has been great. The 3.5 is a BEAST but the 2.7 is pretty damn fun to drive. Getting 19.3mpg combined so far in my 2018. 

I think I'm going to get the wife one of the new expeditions with the 3.5 ecoboost and 10 spd. They are pricey tho

I'm looking at 2018 GM 1500 and Ford F150s.  I read in the previous thread that "Truck Month" was the time to buy, and March seems to be "Truck Month" but I'm not ready to buy now.  I assume that when the 2019 redesigned GM trucks hit dealerships, the 2018s will be on firesale.  Is there another time of year (other than intro of 2019 models) that there will be heavy incentives on the F150s?  TIA

Edited by solamente73

34 minutes ago, solamente73 said:

I'm looking at 2018 GM 1500 and Ford F150s.  I read in the previous thread that "Truck Month" was the time to buy, and March seems to be "Truck Month" but I'm not ready to buy now.  I assume that when the 2019 redesigned GM trucks hit dealerships, the 2018s will be on firesale.  Is there another time of year (other than intro of 2019 models) that there will be heavy incentives on the F150s?  TIA

Apparently there will be a new ram this summer as well. Maybe having both main competitors put out new products will entice ford into some big incentives to keep the f150 selling at the necessary rate. 

Just crossed 286,000 in my 99 Ram 2500.  5.9L gas engine, if anyone gives a shit.  That big nasty bastard is starting to give the signs that it's time to get a new one, and right now I'm torn between the 2019 Chev and the 2019 Ram 1500.  Gonna have to do some serious research, as they both look pretty good to me.

chevyram.jpg