Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

On 2/18/2022 at 1:59 PM, Brew said:

I went Black Diamond because I want the spray out interior for the beach. I wanted soft top only but they make you order the hard top with the 2 door. Limited options also which should help. Flip side is I’m not sure how popular that model is which may keep me further out. Dealer here has not had another one.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/thousands-of-ford-broncos-pile-up-at-ice-mountain-the-reason-is-too-familiar-182056.html

On 2/18/2022 at 12:22 PM, mininghorn88 said:

This is not uncommon to have varying delays.  It is happening in my industry.  You are waiting on one part which is the pacing item.  You then find out something else is going to be late the next day by a different supplier.  That now becomes the new pacing item.

yep, all based on what their suppliers are giving them as far as delivery dates.  when there is a decommit the whole thing shifts.

Finally had some time off from work and was able to install the Fass 100 and beans sump on the Cummins. There's no going back once you cut a 4" hole in the gas tank.

Overall took me 4.5 hours and I had to reposition the sump as it leaked first go around. The next mod will be injectors and a bigger turbo. c6e35c3e972f5330186d1b217d3f8103.jpg9b965f3872d1edffd897fdd7c8532d2a.jpgdfbba3c828915d0046b77000d0de0e5b.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2022 at 6:01 PM, Mother mopar said:

Finally had some time off from work and was able to install the Fass 100 and beans sump on the Cummins. There's no going back once you cut a 4" hole in the gas tank.

Overall took me 4.5 hours and I had to reposition the sump as it leaked first go around. The next mod will be injectors and a bigger turbo. c6e35c3e972f5330186d1b217d3f8103.jpg9b965f3872d1edffd897fdd7c8532d2a.jpgdfbba3c828915d0046b77000d0de0e5b.jpg

I really like the idea of this but filters in the wheel well and fuel lines coming of the bottom of an unprotected tank are a hard pass from me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, davidg said:

I really like the idea of this but filters in the wheel well and fuel lines coming of the bottom of an unprotected tank are a hard pass from me. 

Yeah, seems like the opposite of a good idea.  And with A/T tires on there, I'm guessing he takes it offroad at least occasionally.  The fuel lines is what would worry me the most.  Usually you look to add armor to the underside, not add failure points.

I had my reservation until I saw the YouTube video where they tested the sump by taking a 10lb sledge hammer and repeatedly beat the sump and it never leaked. For some one who drives occasionally off road and hauls on rock roads I was convinced.

The filters are there for ease of changing. I run a coolant filger bypass under the passenger side door and never had an issue and the filter is not protected. Hell I hit a brick on I-10 few month back hauling and swore it would of taken it off but nope.

On 3/31/2022 at 5:28 PM, Mother mopar said:

I had my reservation until I saw the YouTube video where they tested the sump by taking a 10lb sledge hammer and repeatedly beat the sump and it never leaked. For some one who drives occasionally off road and hauls on rock roads I was convinced.

The filters are there for ease of changing. I run a coolant filger bypass under the passenger side door and never had an issue and the filter is not protected. Hell I hit a brick on I-10 few month back hauling and swore it would of taken it off but nope.

What about a crazy ex with a box cutter?  Those exposed lines seem dicey

On 4/1/2022 at 11:35 AM, Chewbacca said:
On 4/1/2022 at 11:21 AM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:
Did I hear correct that orders can't be placed for F250's until November now?  Am I taking crazy pills?

I believe it. My business partner still doesn't have his F350 he ordered in October.

Ordered my 250 in September, I’m into mid May now on expected production. It has dropped back 2.5 months since they first sent me the build notification in early February. Dealer has contacted me multiple times asking if I would be interested in letting the order go. He wants to put it on the lot I’m sure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It’s amazing what people will pay to be first. The First Edition Bronco’s were going for stupid numbers.

F250 was delivered last night. I’ll be interested to see what he throws out on my 2 year old F150. Based on what I see, it should be right at what I paid for it.

Edited by Brew
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Better keep and drive the 150 until diesel gets back to normal.

Didn’t like that idea, went with the original plan of buying a 250. Windows, bed liner and cover are lined up for this week. Still trying to decide whether to level it or not.

7D2BC83D-BFDE-4E73-A9BC-D930C62E9212.thumb.jpeg.7748719d3099fe59d2ac64f24e136cd1.jpeg

• Like 1

I think they look better leveled up, or lifted and leveled.

I didn’t mean not buy the F250, I was thinking keep both and drive the gasser until diesel settles down.  Seems to be trying, Sam’s here is under $5.00 today.

3 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

I think they look better leveled up, or lifted and leveled.

I didn’t mean not buy the F250, I was thinking keep both and drive the gasser until diesel settles down.  Seems to be trying, Sam’s here is under $5.00 today.

I prefer leveled, I just haven’t found an option I’m comfortable with short of going to bags which I don’t want to mess with. Thinking about going with an Icon Stage 4 kit but the rebuild schedules worry me. My last set of Fox’s didn’t make it 30k miles before they needed a rebuild so you either have to have spare shocks or you’re down the rebuild time frame.

What bed cover you thinking? I need to buy one for mine, my last two were the bakflip or whatever, they were okay but not great. Thinking about the Retrax, all of them are expensive though.

Great looking truck you bought, all white is my favorite.

Edited by RMac5

14 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

What bed cover you thinking? I need to buy one for mine, my last two were the bakflip or whatever, they were okay but not great. Thinking about the Retrax, all of them are expensive though.

Great looking truck you bought, all white is my favorite.

I’m going to go with the Undercover Ultra Flex. I’ve used it on my last three trucks and have zero complaints with it. I set them up the same options / same color, tint, LineX, ultra flex bedcover, Fox Stage 1 kit, and Cooper tires. The Fox’s have been a problem every time, so I need a better option on them.

Edited by Brew

2 hours ago, Brew said:

I’m going to go with the Undercover Ultra Flex. I’ve used it on my last three trucks and have zero complaints with it. I set them up the same options / same color, tint, LineX, ultra flex bedcover, Fox Stage 1 kit, and Cooper tires. The Fox’s have been a problem every time, so I need a better option on them.

What’s the other high end brand, King or something?   Does that ultra flex cover get in way on a gooseneck?

25 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

What’s the other high end brand, King or something?   Does that ultra flex cover get in way on a gooseneck?

King’s are much more of a race shock setup similar to the detached reservoir Fox setups and if my memory is correct have very short rebuild schedules.

The cover is a tri fold setup and will fold up flat against the back window out of the way. It limits visibility to the bed in that setup, but it is out of the way of the gooseneck.

When the front is leveled (2"-3")how does that affect the tow capabilities and/or driveability of the vehicle.

Lift kits I get it has the geometry of suspension is modified from it's original space beyond allowable tolerance therefore it has downstream effects, driveshaft angles, premature ball joint failure, etc. I've never had those issues with a leveled truck.

Just now, Mother mopar said:

When the front is leveled (2"-3")how does that affect the tow capabilities and/or driveability of the vehicle.

Lift kits I get it has the geometry of suspension is modified from it's original space beyond allowable tolerance therefore it has downstream effects, driveshaft angles, premature ball joint failure, etc. I've never had those issues with a leveled truck.

Not in anything measurable.  It's the 37's that follow that put the hurt on it. 

• 3 weeks later...

2018 F-150 Lariat Super Crew FX4 44k miles checking in with the dreaded SYNC APIM failure.  Typical onset with delayed response to inputs, then failure of GPS and compass, then failure of Apple CarPlay…  Yay.

Two questions:

1)  I haven’t had to take my truck in for service since COVID started, so the following was a surprise: I had to make my appointment at the dealership three weeks in advance just to see a service salesman.  Then after I see the salesman, my truck must stay onsite for a minimum of four days for a tech to diagnose the problem.  Resolution sometime after that - no timeline given.

Is this the new normal?  In 30 years of car ownership, I don’t recall this kind of process before.  WTF I have to leave my truck for a week just to get looked at… and that’s after I made an appointment weeks in advance to drop it off?

2). My understanding is that only dealerships can work the APIM issue, but perhaps this is incorrect.  Anyone know of a shop in the DFW area that could replace the APIM and program it for my truck?  Apparently there are DIY secondary market options but I don’t want to fuck it up and end up with the heater blasting all summer or some shit.

You can definitely do it yourself, it's pretty plug and play as far as the actual install goes. Quite a few folks on F150 forums will even sell you an APIM.

You will need a laptop with Forscan on it to program it to your truck (and a USB to ODBII cable). 

I haven't actually done a program of the APIM before (I've read up on it as it is a somewhat common issue), but I've done pretty much everything possible with Forscan (added BLISS to my brothers truck, added lots features that were not on my lariat including updating the APIM from Sync 2 to the latest 3.4, and reprogramed a buddies F250 after we added a much larger fuel tank). Just follow the directions online, and make sure you make a back up. It's really pretty straightforward if you are tech savvy at all. If you were is Austin, I'd assist as long as you brought the booze.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Can we talk floor mats? I just bought a 2016 Silverado and want to replace the stock floor mats with something good.. I have weather tech floor mats in my Expedition but they warp.. I'd like some kind of laser fit that doesn't warp.. any suggestions?

My WeatherTech in my F150 don't warp, but the fit could probably be a little better, specifically on the front passenger side.  I've seen folks on this forum (and others) recommend the Rough Country floormats that I believe are also laser-fit.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

Oh, and Huskyliners floor mats have also been recommended on this forum.

I don't have any direct experience with anything other than Weathertech, but hopefully some of the folks who have tried the others will chime in.

Edited by utee94