Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

I've noticed the past 2 summers that the AC on my '14 F150 KR just doesn't work all that great when it's this fucking hot outside. It blows fine, but the air coming out just isn't as cold as I'd like it to be. It's not like I'm sweating, but it ain't shit compared to when I get in someone else's car and it's ice cold. 

I checked my refrigerant levels and they're in normal range. Air filter is brand new. 

Apparently this is not terribly uncommon in F150's this age. Anyone else?

I just hit 80K miles last weekend (bought January '17 with just 29K and have been lucky to have very short work commutes). It's been paid off for about 2 years now. I'm starting to get the itch to get something new, but I'm in the classic dilemma where I could probably get 25K or so for it, I'd have to shell out at least 60K for a 2 or 3 year old equivalent with less than 40K miles.

3 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Does it sit outside in the heat or is it in a garage/covered parking?

It makes a gigantic difference if it’s been sitting out in the sun.

Doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I park overnight in my driveway (wife takes the garage). Drive to work where I park in a shaded garage all day. Whether I'm driving to work in the morning or home in the evening, when it's as hot as it has been lately, it feels like the air coming out of the vents is ~55 degrees vs. the ~45 degrees you'd want to see.

I'm gonna see what happens if I add some additional refrigerant. My gauge is currently showing ~40 PSI, which is basically ideal range for normal weather. Might goose it to ~50 (top of acceptable range) and see if that solves it.

• Like 1

Oh, and Huskyliners floor mats have also been recommended on this forum.
I don't have any direct experience with anything other than Weathertech, but hopefully some of the folks who have tried the others will chime in.
I have Husky in the new Landcruiser and Weathertech in the old one. I prefer the Husky.

Honestly I prefer the really heavy rubber ones that came stock on our Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, over any of the hard plastic/vinyl ones.  Don't know if anyone sells something like that after-market, that is custom-fit to your vehicle, as tightly as the Jeep ones are.  If somebody did, I'd probably buy those to replace the WT ones on my F150.

Edited by utee94

I've got the factory Ford ones on my F-150 and I like them. My only complaint is they get a little discolored and I can't scrub them back to new looking. I made the mistake once of putting some armorall on them. They looked great, but damn that made my shoes slippery as hell when I got out. 

On 6/16/2022 at 4:14 PM, utee94 said:

Honestly I prefer the really heavy rubber ones that came stock on our Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, over any of the hard plastic/vinyl ones.  Don't know if anyone sells something like that after-market, that is custom-fit to your vehicle, as tightly as the Jeep ones are.  If somebody did, I'd probably buy those to replace the WT ones on my F150.

Ford makes a factory set for the F150...exact same size as the carpeted ones and the driver's side snaps in to the retention clips, so it doesn't slide around.  They're pretty great.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Husky are more like that than WT.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

I know a girl at Rivian that survived it but got moved to industrial design in the reshuffle.  She will now be actively looking to leave. 

in other news- my truck threw a code today - P203b. Seems like it could be anything to do with the exhaust system or the computer that controls it.  Guess it will be going to the doctor soon. 

anyone have an idea of the most common diagnoses for it?  Auto zone’s rec for that code is replace the DEF assembly. 

Found this in a ford trucks forum in 2017:

2017 F-Super Duty/2016-2017 F-650/F-750 – 6.7L – Inaccurate DEF Level Indication And/Or Message – With Or Without Illuminated MIL – DTC P203B

Some 2017 F-Super Duty and 2016-2017 F650/F750 vehicles equipped with 6.7L engine may exhibit an inaccurate diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) level indicator or warning message with or without an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P203B.

This concern may be due to intermittent loss of signal from the reductant level sensor that is integrated into the reductant tank.

If the applicable pinpoint test in the powertrain control/emission diagnostic (PC/ED) or workshop manual (WSM) directs replacement of the integrated reductant level sensor, do not attempt any repairs at this time and release the vehicle.

Engineering is currently investigating this concern, monitor OASIS for updates regarding latest information and diagnostic direction

I wonder if anything recall related happened there. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my truck has gone from being absolutely perfect (batts and tires) for 15 years and nearly 300k miles, to showing her age (plus some) in about 6 months.  I’m talking Lindsey Lohan type fall from grace here. All started when that fucking bovine kicked the side; and from there it’s been straight down. Just maddening the amount of shit that has all seemed to crap out recently. Work from home and extended work travel probably didn’t help. 

So have been hunting something new, and knew the prices have been creeping up, but motherfuck. There are several ‘22 350 single wheels demo trucks listed between 102 and 105k.   I know shit is tight with the chips and all, but I’m not buying your 99.5k mile 18 month old truck for 10k less than you paid oilfield broseph. Guess I’ll finally dump some money into old faithful (she doesn’t owe me much, been a great truck) and see if this thing normalizes over the next year or so, or if I can snag some deal that pops up in the meantime. Has been nice not having to mechanic on this one, but guess it’s time to get after it. 

28 minutes ago, utee94 said:

15 years and 300K is a pretty good run.

But yeah, having to replace a truck in THIS market, would be painful.

Until yesterday I wouldn’t have hesitated to jump in, and drive anywhere in North America.  

I *think* I’m going to order a bunch of parts, take a few days off, and get it ship shape again. Will have to in order to sell it anyhow.  Just hope this stalls this fucking recent decline for a minute. Just venting a bit this AM. Had this truck longer than my kids and wife, and wasn’t planning on upgrading for another two years or so (I hate the look on the current GM 3/4-1’s) Positive note, just saw my exact truck online with 314k for ~20k, fucking lol.  I’ll be looking for about 10k so shouldn’t have any trouble there.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I have a 04 F-150 with 280k miles and at least every two weeks I'll come home and it will have a note on it asking me to call if I want to sell it

Yeah my dealer contacted me about my 2015 F150 a bit less than a year ago, and offered me basically what I paid for it three years before that.

Well, my truck has gone from being absolutely perfect (batts and tires) for 15 years and nearly 300k miles, to showing her age (plus some) in about 6 months.  I’m talking Lindsey Lohan type fall from grace here. All started when that fucking bovine kicked the side; and from there it’s been straight down. Just maddening the amount of shit that has all seemed to crap out recently. Work from home and extended work travel probably didn’t help. 

So have been hunting something new, and knew the prices have been creeping up, but motherfuck. There are several ‘22 350 single wheels demo trucks listed between 102 and 105k.   I know shit is tight with the chips and all, but I’m not buying your 99.5k mile 18 month old truck for 10k less than you paid oilfield broseph. Guess I’ll finally dump some money into old faithful (she doesn’t owe me much, been a great truck) and see if this thing normalizes over the next year or so, or if I can snag some deal that pops up in the meantime. Has been nice not having to mechanic on this one, but guess it’s time to get after it. 
What kind of truck is this? I assume diesel but 6.0, 6.7, or 7.3?

9 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

What kind of truck is this? I assume diesel but 6.0, 6.7, or 7.3?

6.6 LMM 

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I *think* I’m going to order a bunch of parts

Good luck with that as well.  2019 Tundra has some damage on the rear drivers side.  Bumper and panel are messed up.  Sat with Caliber for two months while they waited for parts that never arrived.  My little rental was fine, but I finally had them reassemble it and give it back as I need the truck now for hauling stuff and going to the ranch.  They're supposed to call when the parts come in and I'll bring it back to have the work done.  

On 8/12/2022 at 10:23 AM, fattyflattie said:

That pricing is nuts. My F250 Platinum was $72k in May. I’ll cut you a deal and sell it for $10k off the 350’s pricing for $92k.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Brew said:

That pricing is nuts. My F250 Platinum was $72k in May. I’ll cut you a deal and sell it for $10k off the 350’s pricing for $92k.

Yeah I think that’s the premium if you don’t want to order and wait.  Most of the local dealerships have been low 90’s (92-95k) for KR/Plat/Limited for what’s on lot.  Haven’t priced the new GMs but keeping an eye out for a low mileage ‘19, while I fix mine. Put in a pretty large order to rock auto and some other specialty diesel shops yesterday and should have parts here shortly.  May have to put in an order soon, because I can mentally wrap my head around 72. I’m not there yet for 90+

If someone wants to give me $90k+ for this one, show me where to sign. 3300 miles, optioned out other than a sunroof and the stupid yellow cab lights. I’ve turned into the suburb guy riding around in a 2500 series with nothing to pull. Of course, as soon as it sells I’ll go buy another boat or more toys and start the circle again. 

25 minutes ago, Brew said:

the stupid yellow cab lights.

Bruh.  

update. Went thru fuel/air system piece by piece, thru each harness (cleaned and checked pins) and got it out of limp of death mode.  Onto the rest of the shit that’s been falling apart for last few months, but at least it’s back to “normal”.   

On 8/13/2022 at 6:59 PM, Brew said:

If someone wants to give me $90k+ for this one, show me where to sign. 3300 miles, optioned out other than a sunroof and the stupid yellow cab lights. I’ve turned into the suburb guy riding around in a 2500 series with nothing to pull. Of course, as soon as it sells I’ll go buy another boat or more toys and start the circle again. 

Yeah I think about selling mine, but then I think I’d probably be priced out of getting another for a while. 

I wish it was easy and fairly cheap to rent a 3/4 ton for when I wanted to tow the camper, as far as I know it isn’t.  And I don’t like the idea of a beater diesel that sits most of the time, then 6 times a year I ask it to pull us to wilderness and back without breaking. 

Update of my own issue with the CEL:  I already had an oil change scheduled so I let them do that, and then I changed the air and fuel filters. Well apparently the batteries were almost dead already, and when I changed fuel filters either the loss of initial fuel pressure or the fuel pump running off the batteries to fill the filter back up made it so the engine wouldn’t turn over. Voltmeter read 12.1.  

new batteries cleared the CEL- which first appeared simultaneous to the display having memory issues with my settings. And that issue went away. Never had the battery specific light come on though. Must be the computer that manages the obd was power starved?

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah I think about selling mine, but then I think I’d probably be priced out of getting another for a while. 

I wish it was easy and fairly cheap to rent a 3/4 ton for when I wanted to tow the camper, as far as I know it isn’t.  And I don’t like the idea of a beater diesel that sits most of the time, then 6 times a year I ask it to pull us to wilderness and back without breaking. 

Update of my own issue with the CEL:  I already had an oil change scheduled so I let them do that, and then I changed the air and fuel filters. Well apparently the batteries were almost dead already, and when I changed fuel filters either the loss of initial fuel pressure or the fuel pump running off the batteries to fill the filter back up made it so the engine wouldn’t turn over. Voltmeter read 12.1.  

new batteries cleared the CEL- which first appeared simultaneous to the display having memory issues with my settings. And that issue went away. Never had the battery specific light come on though. Must be the computer that manages the obd was power starved?

How big/heavy is the camper?  With so few trips, I'd guess a 1/2 ton would work unless you are going up a lot of steep roads?

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

How big/heavy is the camper?  With so few trips, I'd guess a 1/2 ton would work unless you are going up a lot of steep roads?

It’s not huge, 6000lbs loaded probably.  A properly equipped half ton would probably be fine for around here. Bought it when we were traversing mountain passes. 

our f150 isn’t really geared well for towing (3.38 rear end i think?) and it’s the 5.0 so low end torque is an issue. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s not huge, 6000lbs loaded probably.  A properly equipped half ton would probably be fine for around here. Bought it when we were traversing mountain passes. 

our f150 isn’t really geared well for towing (3.38 rear end i think?) and it’s the 5.0 so low end torque is an issue. 

My 2013 3.5 Ferd towed trailers much heavier than that multiple times a year.  Usually back/forth from the ranch, so we were towing up/down Ranger Hill.  Probably be ok if you take it easy.