Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Do you hide your truck on your street? I only see polished up new rides when I check the mail.

290, 240, and 81k. I’ve put every mile on the 290.  Other two were “like new” dealer demos (wife refuses to buy brand new?)  I also have a truck that stays on the ranch with 285k that I bought new.  I used to clock 55 a year for work for a few years.  Polar opposite of my neighbor, that trade both every 18 months. 

• Like 1

Has anyone bought a new truck but negotiated a tire swap prior to taking delivery?

The OEM goodyears must be manufacturer seconds because they are just plain awful. I would love to tell the dealership “ill take it. Negotiate the fat out, and then hit them with a “last thing - I promise. You're gonna have to take the original tires and put new Michelins on. We got a deal?”

They should be able to sell the original shoes through the parts dept, right?

48 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

Whenever I trade in, I always ask for a new set of KO2s as part of the deal.  I pay for it one way or the other.   Maxwell Ford is where I buy/trade in.

Maxwell made my crap list.  Bunch of scum salesmen there that want to force you into financing their crap, not to mention hiding facts on used vehicles (went to them for a used truck they had listed at a good price, only to be told that price is only offered while financing, and trading in another vehicle, but was not specified online at all).  I have been using Covert for most my stuff, tried Maxwell last truck I bought, and will be going back to Leif Johnson or Covert for the next one.

I'm sure Maxwell has some slimy sales guys.  I called the GM before I went and asked him to give me their best sales guy who would not try to upsell, bait/switch, or any other tactic.  They had the best price and it went smoothly.   Their service department has been very good.  I get free oil changes/tire rotation.  Those were the days.  $12,000 under sticker for a Platinum F150 and free oil changes/tire rotations.  Just before covid.  

Has anyone bought a new truck but negotiated a tire swap prior to taking delivery?

The OEM goodyears must be manufacturer seconds because they are just plain awful. I would love to tell the dealership “ill take it. Negotiate the fat out, and then hit them with a “last thing - I promise. You're gonna have to take the original tires and put new Michelins on. We got a deal?”

They should be able to sell the original shoes through the parts dept, right?

I’ve done this on probably half a dozen cars over the years. If it doesn’t have Michelins, I’m not buying it. Dealt with way to many wobbly OEM non Michelins on the highway. Some will accommodate. Some won’t.
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 2:06 PM, Gladeite said:

I'm sure Maxwell has some slimy sales guys.  I called the GM before I went and asked him to give me their best sales guy who would not try to upsell, bait/switch, or any other tactic.  They had the best price and it went smoothly.   Their service department has been very good.  I get free oil changes/tire rotation.  Those were the days.  $12,000 under sticker for a Platinum F150 and free oil changes/tire rotations.  Just before covid.  

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

I have bought my last 2 vehicles from Maxwell. It has been an absolute shit show with them. I only bought from them because they had the exact spec I wanted in both vehicles. Both times they tried every trick in the book. Both times I walked during paperwork only to have them run me down and agree to my reasonable terms. They need to make money, they don't need to go no lube. Their service dept is either completely incompetent or criminal. 

You either work for them or don't realize how they fleeced you.

Edited by HOOKEM4

I might be going against the grain of this thread, and it might not have been the best financial decision considering my rate, but I received the biggest paycheck in my life today, and the first thing I did was pay off my truck. Every non-mortgage debt I carry.

That said, I’m going to take care of some minor bodywork, including a tailgate dent inflicted by a crepe myrtle lining my mom’s driveway, as well as a new bumper. Also would love a state-of-the-art head unit with car play and maybe some better-quality speakers.

Seventy-two thousand miles and runs excellent.

Is there an upgraded shock absorber available that might improve its ride and handling? Tundras run like trucks.

Also I need a lockable gun mount, perhaps even one that fits in the console. To fit a Sig P320.

Any suggestions?

10 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I might be going against the grain of this thread, and it might not have been the best financial decision considering my rate, but I received the biggest paycheck in my life today, and the first thing I did was pay off my truck. Every non-mortgage debt I carry.

That said, I’m going to take care of some minor bodywork, including a tailgate dent inflicted by a crepe myrtle lining my mom’s driveway, as well as a new bumper. Also would love a state-of-the-art head unit with car play and maybe some better-quality speakers.

Is there an upgraded shock absorber available that might improve its ride and handling? Tundras run like trucks.

Also I need a lockable gun mount, perhaps even one that fits in the console. To fit a Sig P320.

Any suggestions?

Buddy that also has  Tundra like yours and mine got something like this so he still has a little space for everyday items that don't need to be locked up

Tundra half safe

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Any suggestions?

I use Console Vault.  It works well.  Have had my old truck broken into twice and the thieves were unable to steal my pistol.  One time they beat the hell out of it with a hatchet and tore it up.  Still could not get into it.  I highly recommend it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Fuck! Looks like there is metal in my fuel, caused by the CP4 pump. Looks like this is a common problem in the US. I have a 2019 F350 6.7, this is going to be a spendy repair.

I'm not saying this is going to happen, but this has happened to probably 20% of the 6.7 folks I know.  Every one of them got a new motor.  One was something like 3k miles from out of warranty.     I've been toying with giving F a shot on the next one, even though I've had tremendous luck with GM.  But them going away from the CP4 might be what keeps me here.  Hope you have a better experience than my buddies.  

I'm not saying this is going to happen, but this has happened to probably 20% of the 6.7 folks I know.  Every one of them got a new motor.  One was something like 3k miles from out of warranty.     I've been toying with giving F a shot on the next one, even though I've had tremendous luck with GM.  But them going away from the CP4 might be what keeps me here.  Hope you have a better experience than my buddies.  
If you have to buy a new CP4 and injector's might as well get an aftermarket one/set and take advantage of some untapped power.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I really haven’t had any problems since my 2003 6.0, that POS was horrible. Since the 03 I’ve had 4 ford diesels and no problems. This is a 2019 and 4K out of warranty, looking like $8500 to fix it. Freakin love the truck, just pissed it’s gonna be so expensive. Heard it’s a lot more to have repaired at the ford house. They act like it’s the diesel in the US, don’t have these CP4 issues in other countries with better less restricted fuel.

it’s deleted too, this joker will flat out run and pulls like a beast.

Edited by RMac5

1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

I really haven’t had any problems since my 2003 6.0, that POS was horrible. Since the 03 I’ve had 4 ford diesels and no problems. This is a 2019 and 4K out of warranty, looking like $8500 to fix it. Freakin love the truck, just pissed it’s gonna be so expensive. Heard it’s a lot more to have repaired at the ford house. They act like it’s the diesel in the US, don’t have these CP4 issues in other countries with better less restricted fuel.

Yeah they are real nice. Just crazy how many people have that same exact issue, in my real life .  And it’s a big one $$$.  

2 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Great spec by the way.  

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

Fuck! Looks like there is metal in my fuel, caused by the CP4 pump. Looks like this is a common problem in the US. I have a 2019 F350 6.7, this is going to be a spendy repair.

All of the 2019 and 2020 Ram 6.7s are on recall because of CP4 failure. I have a 2019 and went in to have the inspection a couple of months ago and am waiting for parts to come in. Have 63k miles on it and haven’t changed how I drive but I do add a dose of Hot Shots every day treatment to every tank.
  • Hook 'Em 1

All of the 2019 and 2020 Ram 6.7s are on recall because of CP4 failure. I have a 2019 and went in to have the inspection a couple of months ago and am waiting for parts to come in. Have 63k miles on it and haven’t changed how I drive but I do add a dose of Hot Shots every day treatment to every tank.
Why they did away with the CP3 is beyond me as those things are truly tanks. You can mode the crap out of them too. The CP4 definitely has some machining/tolerance and or QC issues for sure. That recall was 2500 up to the 5500 trucks I believe, so a lot of folks are caught up in that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Curious if you can replace the CP4 with a CP3? My mechanic, who I completely trust, said Ford can remotely monitor the mileage on the new models and there is no way to try and slip one in under warranty, I wasn’t aware of that. He also said if you have ever had any water in the fuel that will cause rust in the CP and they won’t warranty it. I wouldn’t think it would rust but I guess they can.

Curious if you can replace the CP4 with a CP3? My mechanic, who I completely trust, said Ford can remotely monitor the mileage on the new models and there is no way to try and slip one in under warranty, I wasn’t aware of that. He also said if you have ever had any water in the fuel that will cause rust in the CP and they won’t warranty it. I wouldn’t think it would rust but I guess they can.
I don't know if you can be done but I bet it's a matter of time before it ends up on Youtube. Edit looks like it can be done https://usdieselparts.com/n-9973-what-is-a-cp3-conversion.html#:~:text=Fortunately%20for%20diesel%20truck%20owners,engine%20when%20it%20stops%20working.

Why the factory never installed actual water separators is beyond me, instead we have gravity water separator with a lever that breaks. Another reason why I just bought a FASS, and deleted the bowl on my 5.9; it's nice to have the extra layer of filtration.

I assume they track it through GPS via the ECM, or PCM ??

Almost just dropped what I was doing to haul ass down to a local dealership. Gorgeous 2020 F150 King Ranch 4WD listed online for just $44K with "less than 1,000 miles." 

Spidey sense telling me that something ain't right. Way too good to be true. This would be an absolute robbery on my part.

Picture of the dash shows a little over 93,000 miles on the odometer. LOL. Somebody done fucked up. Should say "less than 100,000 miles."

Edit: Looks like they just fixed the listing.

Edited by Storm the Field

Don’t know about Ford, but there are several aftermarket CP3 kits for the Cummins 6.7. They were available before Ram issued the recall. In fact, if you replaced the pump on your own dollar, you can file paperwork and get the $$$ you spent on the refit back from Ram. That is pretty solid IMO.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 1/31/2023 at 9:56 PM, BearSchlong said:

Any suggestions?

The Bilstein 5100s are pretty nice and affordable 

• Like 1

Motortrend spied some official Toyota renderings from a patent that it filed in Brazil for the new 2024 Hilux. Since the Hilux and the Tacoma are being moved to a shared global platform, this is probably what the 2024 Tacoma is going to look like:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-toyota-tacoma-pickup-truck-rendering

next-gen-2024-toyota-tacoma-brazilian-pa

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Picked up the new Bronco and am now officially without a truck for the first time in 25 years. This along with not having a boat is a strange feeling. It’s a little bit of a shock dropping from a Platinum 250 to a spray out interior 2 door Black Diamond. Going to look at older diesels and see what I can find for a weekend hauler.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Brew said:

Picked up the new Bronco and am now officially without a truck for the first time in 25 years. This along with not having a boat is a strange feeling. It’s a little bit of a shock dropping from a Platinum 250 to a spray out interior 2 door Black Diamond. Going to look at older diesels and see what I can find for a weekend hauler.

Go take the BD offroad somewhere.  It'll make you feel better.

13 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, Brew said:
Going to look at tires and lifts tomorrow. That will definitely make me feel better. These dinky tires don’t look right on it even though the BD has a pretty aggressive tire on it.

Why not spec with Sasquatch?

Buddy owns a tire shop, so I can get what I want through him. Plus, when I ordered it 18 months ago, I was ordering it to leave at the house at the beach to use when we were down there. I wanted cheap (relatively speaking) with a spray out interior for sand and whatever else we got into with very limited options. I was going to leave it as it came. We sold the house right before the hurricane and have not been able to close on a replacement because of the issues down there right now, so I’m just going to daily drive it for now until we see how things shake out. Plus, I still have no idea what I want as my main vehicle. After putting 200 miles on this one today, I don’t think it is my long-term option for a daily driver.

• Like 1

This thing is much, much smaller than I expected. That’s been good and bad. It’s actually pretty fun to drive losing 5 feet of wheelbase and 7 feet of length. I can turn into parking spots without a 12 point turn, get in the garage without folding the mirrors, etc. However, riding with someone you’re going to rub elbows and forget about riding in the back. May also need my aviation headphones if you want to carry on a conversation on the interstate. I think they’ve started a pool at work on the O/U on how quickly I show back up with a truck.

Still trying to settle on lift and tires, think I’m going to just go with 2-3 inch and 35’s to get rid of the dinky tire look it currently has. 4C2D4B72-D277-4157-8C9F-811A90601803.thumb.jpeg.30bc572e16768b6e39f1fe21448ae6fc.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Don’t do this to yourself.  Plenty on either side of those consecutive shit shows you can pick up for not much.  

Fat fingered it, 02 with the 7.3. Price wasn’t horrible compared to what I’ve seen, but going to keep looking.

• 2 weeks later...