Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

Noticed a construction screw head melded into my truck tire Sunday night after coming back from the ranch.  Was hoping to get another 7-10k out of this set but just paid $1380 at Discount for 3 new KO2s and a new cert for the replacement. Paid $1302 for the last full set  in June ‘21.  Got 43k out of them so not too bad but was hoping for a few more miles before dropping the cash on a new set. 

C3E1859F-C601-49D4-A582-45CB313C5599.thumb.jpeg.e5ea4c499501bdfffdd4da62ad943c02.jpeg

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, davidg said:

Noticed a construction screw head melded into my truck tire Sunday night after coming back from the ranch.  Was hoping to get another 7-10k out of this set but just paid $1380 at Discount for 3 new KO2s and a new cert for the replacement. Paid $1302 for the last full set  in June ‘21.  Got 43k out of them so not too bad but was hoping for a few more miles before dropping the cash on a new set. 

C3E1859F-C601-49D4-A582-45CB313C5599.thumb.jpeg.e5ea4c499501bdfffdd4da62ad943c02.jpeg

why not get it patched?

• Like 1

I just replaced the OEM all season tires on my F150, with K02s, and I gotta say I really like them.  No real noticeable increase in road hum or tire noise, and they look WAY cooler.  They're 20" wheels so I'll never get a really beefy offroad look, there's just not enough sidewall.  But overall they still look better and I haven't noticed any change in performance in wet or dry.

Was it leaking, you never said. If not, keep running it and the head will come off on its own. Done it a few times with truck/trailer tires never had an issue.

If it was leaking, that definitely looks like an easy patch as it's not on the sidewall.

1 hour ago, locodos said:

why not get it patched?

That was the plan but Discount won’t plug a tire in the sidewall or first/curved part of the tread.   Got a “free” replacement on that one and decided to go ahead and get 3 more.   If I waited another 3-5 months till they where fully worn out I would end up paying the $1750 or more.  Here the difference in tread taken at the same angle as the screw pic.  Big difference in tread depth.

9EAC9EB6-80F8-4BE2-ACF6-4CA803C40EFF.thumb.jpeg.eec464d8cec8603718353015e0d0cc1f.jpeg

On 3/21/2023 at 6:28 PM, utee94 said:

I just replaced the OEM all season tires on my F150, with K02s, and I gotta say I really like them.  No real noticeable increase in road hum or tire noise, and they look WAY cooler.  They're 20" wheels so I'll never get a really beefy offroad look, there's just not enough sidewall.  But overall they still look better and I haven't noticed any change in performance in wet or dry.

They’ve always been pretty mild mannered for me, until my last set. They got loud early and never quit. Loud enough that I just went back with mud terrains this time.

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

They’ve always been pretty mild mannered for me, until my last set. They got loud early and never quit. Loud enough that I just went back with mud terrains this time.

So far, I don't notice any difference compared to the all-seasons.  I just towed the RV all the way out to Big Bend and back, and it felt great.

We just pulled a set of M/T off our Jeep, those were loud AF and a terrible ride.  Put the Nitto Ridge Grapplers on it and it's night and day, that ride is now glorious.

Edited by utee94

12 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

A couple of weeks ago I replaced the factory tires on my 4runner and almost went with the KO2s, but went with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. My brother has them on his Tacoma and really likes them. So far I am really liking them. Very quiet for an AT tire and cheaper than the KO2s.

Yeah, I considered the opposite of what I ended up doing, as well, which would have been Nittos for the truck, and KO2s for the Jeep.  Ultimately I decided to split them and see if I preferred one over the other.  The truck and the Jeep aren't perfect analogs for one another, of course, but I'm still trying to run a bit of a test.

So far I'm really pleased with both.  They're both very quiet and smooth, good grip in both dry and rain.  The Nittos look a little more aggressive and I really like that on the Jeep Wrangler, which has 17" wheels and I went to 35s on it, from the Rubicon stock 33s.  So you get a lot of sidewall, a lot of rubber, and it looks great.

Since the F150 is on 20" wheels, and there's a lot less sidewall, the contrast between the aggressive look of the Nitto and the slightly less agressive K02, isn't really all that noticeable.  So I was okay with the BFG for this go-round.  We'll see how they perform over time.

• Like 1

I've run both.  Nitto RG's are better in soupy/muddier ground that the BFG's that will coat up quickly.  Both are equally adept in loose/rocky terrain.  When it would rain at the ranch and my BFGs were coated, when I hit the main highway it was like a hailstorm under the truck as the tires were throwing mud for miles.  Both have the reinforced sidewall that is so important.  

For my tundra I went with Coopers this time.  Got a flat with the stock Michelin AT2s and had to limp to Early with the spare.  Went with the AT3s and so far I really like them.  10-ply, E rated tire so the thorns/rocks should be less of a problem.  Ran then in the snow/ice we had and they did equally well.  

• Like 1

Everyone I know with the Ridge grapplers likes them. Nitto is in timeout for me right now because we had some sidewall failures, failures with an s, on a set of terra grapplers on wife’s truck.  So far I’m liking these MTs.  Not loud (yet, it’s coming) but they tow real nice and are 10x as aggressive as my K02s were.  I was having too many close calls at the ranch and unsticking this pig is at the bottom of my to do list.  

4 hours ago, Gladeite said:

Our experience with Ridge Grapplers has not been as good.  I am a dedicated KO2 guy but have Ridge Grapplers on wife's SUV.  They hydroplane a little in big rains and she is not as confident in them.  Will be switching soon.

This might be an entry for the wives thread.

I've got Nitto RG 35's on my Gladiator and they perform flawlessly on wet pavement. I live in Lake Charles... Louisiana road conditions + lots of rain = basically like driving around Equatorial Guinea.

and @Gladeite no offense to the wife just being a smartass.

Edited by smuggs
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

This might be an entry for the wives thread.

I've got Nitto RG 35's on my Gladiator and they perform flawlessly on wet pavement. I live in Lake Charles... Louisiana road conditions + lots of rain = basically like driving around Equatorial Guinea.

and @Gladeite no offense to the wife just being a smartass.

Might be width?  He said they went up to 35's iirc, shit might have thrown some 10" rims on it.  Potentially wider tire will act differently in rain, of course.  

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Might be width?  He said they went up to 35's iirc, shit might have thrown some 10" rims on it.  Potentially wider tire will act differently in rain, of course.  

I'm the one that went from 33s to 35s on our Wrangler Rubicon.  It can take the width.  (Although I did buy new wheels with more offset to clear the sway bars in the rear).

Not sure about Gladeite, he just said they had NRG on his wife's SUV.  If it's a standard SUV, I doubt they are running 35s.

I've run both.  Nitto RG's are better in soupy/muddier ground that the BFG's that will coat up quickly.  Both are equally adept in loose/rocky terrain.  When it would rain at the ranch and my BFGs were coated, when I hit the main highway it was like a hailstorm under the truck as the tires were throwing mud for miles.  Both have the reinforced sidewall that is so important.  
For my tundra I went with Coopers this time.  Got a flat with the stock Michelin AT2s and had to limp to Early with the spare.  Went with the AT3s and so far I really like them.  10-ply, E rated tire so the thorns/rocks should be less of a problem.  Ran then in the snow/ice we had and they did equally well.  
Huge fan of the Cooper AT3s, run them on my 07 cummins and love them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
15 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Huge fan of the Cooper AT3s, run them on my 07 cummins and love them.

This. The three sets of KO2’s I ran were garbage. The wear pattern was uneven on them and they were useless on wet roads. Buddy that runs a tire shop convinced me to switch to Copper’s 3-4 vehicles ago and I have never looked back.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Brew said:

This. The three sets of KO2’s I ran were garbage. The wear pattern was uneven on them and they were useless on wet roads. Buddy that runs a tire shop convinced me to switch to Copper’s 3-4 vehicles ago and I have never looked back.

I had two really good sets and the last set was not.  As loud as legit MT's at ~20k miles.  Stayed that way until they were bald at mid 40's.  But they've always worn very evenly, perfect really for me.  Probably the most even wearing tires I've ever had, tbh.  I had a sidewall balloon on my truck with some nittos (fantastic before that), so I switched to 3x sets of KO2s. This is all on same truck, so pretty good feel for their behavior.  Then wife had some severe sidewall issues with her Nittos, and went to Michelins on her ride.  I'm not against them, but you guys keep a close eye on the sidewalls. 

• 4 weeks later...
Am thinking of selling my 250. Anyone have experience selling private party when you still carry a note?  

secondly- know anyone that would want a 2017 f250 diesel crew cab 8ft bed with 110k on the clock?  Ruby red with black leather, lariat trim.  Has some options too. 

Just sell to a dealership or carvana. Dealing with people sucks.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Am thinking of selling my 250. Anyone have experience selling private party when you still carry a note?  

secondly- know anyone that would want a 2017 f250 diesel crew cab 8ft bed with 110k on the clock?  Ruby red with black leather, lariat trim.  Has some options too. 
Sold a few and a boat as well this way. Met at the bank did the paperwork and went on our way.

On 4/15/2023 at 8:28 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I know someone who's looking.  Not sure why you bought an aggie/sooner colored truck, but this guy went to Texas State so the color shouldn't bother him too much. ;)

PM me details and/or pics and I'll forward to him.

• 1 month later...

So I’ve decided I need to upgrade to a diesel truck. The main use for the diesel will be hauling a small tractor between a couple of different ranches. Hopefully I will also be able to convince the wife that taking some RV trips will be fun as well and with no kids, no need to travel with an extra tent.

I’m certain that the Surly Truck Nuts have an opinion on brands and what to look out for. I’m planning on test driving the Big 3 and seeing which I prefer.

Thoughts?

28 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

So I’ve decided I need to upgrade to a diesel truck. The main use for the diesel will be hauling a small tractor between a couple of different ranches. Hopefully I will also be able to convince the wife that taking some RV trips will be fun as well and with no kids, no need to travel with an extra tent.

I’m certain that the Surly Truck Nuts have an opinion on brands and what to look out for. I’m planning on test driving the Big 3 and seeing which I prefer.

Thoughts?

You could buy mine.  What luck for us both. 

I’m going with something new. 
You'll love it and can now join the diesel truck thread. All the big 3 have negatives and positives, it's a matter of what you're willing to put up with.

I enjoy the pre-emission stuff, much easier to deal with and has a lot fewer sensors. However, I'm a simple guy and don't care for the frills of today. My 07 Dodge 2500 is a work truck and they are meant to be just that IMO.
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

You'll love it and can now join the diesel truck thread. All the big 3 have negatives and positives, it's a matter of what you're willing to put up with.

Correct.  You can’t go wrong with any of the 3.  Get what you prefer.  You are going to find people with each with near trouble free trucks, and friends of theirs that have had lemons of each.  

*I assume you mean 3/4 or 1 ton.   Don’t know if you’ve had one in the past, but doubt you’ll ever go back unless you just can’t get used to the stiffer ride.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Correct.  You can’t go wrong with any of the 3.  Get what you prefer.  You are going to find people with each with near trouble free trucks, and friends of theirs that have had lemons of each.  

*I assume you mean 3/4 or 1 ton.   Don’t know if you’ve had one in the past, but doubt you’ll ever go back unless you just can’t get used to the stiffer ride.  

It will be a 3/4 ton.

51 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

Is there any particular reason you wouldn't want to buy a newer well maintained f250-350 with higher mileage?
Or what are some things to look our for? 

Warranty on his CP4?   

The biggest thing is probably the pricing. The delta in new vs used on diesel trucks has been ignorant for the last 36 months.  10k off retail for your 12 month old truck with 90k miles? No thanks.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Warranty on his CP4?   

The biggest thing is probably the pricing. The delta in new vs used on diesel trucks has been ignorant for the last 36 months.  10k off retail for your 12 month old truck with 90k miles? No thanks.  

I was thinking more along the lines of a 17-18 with 90-120K on it.

55 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a 17-18 with 90-120K on it.

Take another 5-7 off.   The depreciation schedule on them is out of whack, imo.  The first 100k miles shouldn't be the same value as the last 100k.

*note* I've only been following the high trim options.  

Diesel trucks always seem to bring strong money, especially in select southern markets.

Fuel, filters, and fluids are the biggest issues for any diesel. You have to get those right or it will cost you. Right fuel additives (sulfur), correct micron filter for applicable system (recommended aftermarket filtration down to 2 microns) and lastly change the fluids on schedule with the correct type/viscosity for your usage.

If the above was done, I would hesitate dropping good money on a diesel with 200k miles.

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Warranty on his CP4?   

That’s right. I’ve been looking at this for a while and the pricing on used diesels is crazy. I would rather pay 10k more to buy new and know exactly how it’s going to be maintained. Also, I’m too cheap to spend the money for all the interior features so I’m not looking at a Platinum/King Ranch.

• 4 weeks later...

Welp I’m a diesel owner no more. 

so I bought the 250 on 5/30/20 for $42000 with 83k miles and i traded it in today for $42000 with 113k miles. 

Pretty good value there- only thing I paid for other than fluid changes was new front brake rotors and a set of tires. 

and is there anything more representative of moving from Texas to Seattle than trading an f250 for an outback?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I've been in my 2014, Ford F-150, (XLT, 3.5L Ecoboost, 4x4, crew cab) for five years and am trying my best to keep her going. That being said, I've been eyeing some 2019-22 Tundras. Love the look of those, cannot stand the new ones. Would be hard to get away from the Ecoboost though...I love it.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/19/2023 at 4:13 PM, Mother mopar said:

Diesel trucks always seem to bring strong money, especially in select southern markets.

Fuel, filters, and fluids are the biggest issues for any diesel. You have to get those right or it will cost you. Right fuel additives (sulfur), correct micron filter for applicable system (recommended aftermarket filtration down to 2 microns) and lastly change the fluids on schedule with the correct type/viscosity for your usage.

If the above was done, I would hesitate dropping good money on a diesel with 200k miles.

Traded my 9 month old F250 for $10k more than I paid for it earlier this year and could have gotten more if I would have traded it in Nov/Dec. Markets in certain areas are still way out of whack especially on diesels. Looking for an older one now to replace it with and pricing is stupid on them still.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brew said:

Traded my 9 month old F250 for $10k more than I paid for it earlier this year and could have gotten more if I would have traded it in Nov/Dec. Markets in certain areas are still way out of whack especially on diesels. Looking for an older one now to replace it with and pricing is stupid on them still.

That’s why I was determined to sell mine before the move north. Don’t think that market would be as robust for a diesel. 

and also with a trade in and trade down, I didn’t have to pay sales tax so that $2000 saved makes the effective sales price 44k to me. 

Glad it work out for ya bud. I see 2nd Gen Dodge trucks for sale and people asking $20k+ and it just blows my mind. Like anything, it's worth what someone is going to pay for it and there is an ass for every seat.

Anyone with the Ford 5.0 had any issues with stuttering at idle when warm? Been dealing with it a few months, with no codes thrown. Had one thrown two weeks ago and it was a VVT Solenoid error. Didn't have time to mess with it so I took it to the dealer, and they claimed it was dirty/slightly low oil that caused it and nothing else. Seems like the Ford forums are littered with the issue being possibly a bad VCT/VVT solonoid. Just got back from a trip and it's doing it again, and threw the code again. 

No but I did have to diagnose a transmission issue as related to me by the driver, who lives with me and is related to me by marriage. 

Turns out she wasn’t pulling the selector far enough into Drive to actuate the gate lock and it would occasionally slide into neutral. This may only be the second most appropriate thread for that story. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:
6 hours ago, Brew said:

Glad it work out for ya bud. I see 2nd Gen Dodge trucks for sale and people asking $20k+ and it just blows my mind. Like anything, it's worth what someone is going to pay for it and there is an ass for every seat.

Going to sit out for a while and see what happens with prices. Don’t have an immediate need right now since I sold all my toys, so I can be patient. I had to pick up pallets of sod last week and missed it for the first time. Took several trips with the Bronco pulling a trailer.

32 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

I've got a 3rd gear slippage issue on the '16 F150 5.0.  Keep wanting to take it in to the shop, but just no time.  Anyone else had that issue?

My 18 F150 had gears 3, 7 and 8 slipping last year, took it to Riata because no one else could fit me in, took them 6 weeks to get parts and ended up with a new transmission