Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

10 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

How much are you looking to get for the 2019 F350 trade-in Johnny?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Don’t know yet.  Just rolled out of bed on this ordeal.  Spitballing so far.  The price of poker has gone way up.  

I remember paying $34K all-in rolling off the lot for a brand new 99 F250 4X4 7.3 diesel crew Lariat (top of the line at the time) and thinking ”what have I done spending this much on a truck I need to have my head examined” and a mere 20 or so years later here we are.

Dang trucks cost more than the house I grew up in. 

(yells at clouds)

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

500 miles to deer camp? Screw that. I'm a little less than 30 miles away from my family's land. I have young children and try to help out with them, so I can't manage to be gone every weekend surrounding hunting season, but at least I have the flexibility to be able to take off and sit in a blind and sip whiskey on short notice if we don't have anything going on.

500 round trip, home chicken.  I’m crazy but not stupid. 

20 minutes ago, deadshank said:

500 round trip, home chicken.  I’m crazy but not stupid. 

Better, but still too far imo. Deer camp should be just far enough to keep the wife away, but not so far that you can't decide on a Saturday afternoon to drive over and check stuff out, maybe sit in the blind for a bit in the evening, and come home in time to tuck the kids in. Ideally they are wanting to make the trip with you once they are old enough and the wife is happy to get them out of the house for a few hours.

16 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Better, but still too far imo. Deer camp should be just far enough to keep the wife away, but not so far that you can't decide on a Saturday afternoon to drive over and check stuff out, maybe sit in the blind for a bit in the evening, and come home in time to tuck the kids in. Ideally they are wanting to make the trip with you once they are old enough and the wife is happy to get them out of the house for a few hours.

Not a real good option when you live in Houston.  Decent WTD are a long way off.  

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm only in Dripping Springs - not anything like the Amarillo fellers; I'm usually dropping in some Lucas or Diesel Kleen every 4 or 5 tanks.

Had zero issues during SnowPacalypse 21. We had a decent drop in sustained cold temps & I wasn't even plugged in.

Ran the starter coil thingies for maybe 3 minutes before I fired it up, no issues. Even did a few drives out onto the road (4×4, cautiously) to see what was up. I had decent shoes on then, much better AT's on there now.

It was my batteries that I was most concerned about & in I have a plug-in jump starter / trickle charger if that had become an issue.

'04 Cummins.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

I laughed at starter coil thingies...Dodge/Ram have a heater grid as they don't have glow plugs like Ford or GM.

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

Don’t know yet.  Just rolled out of bed on this ordeal.  Spitballing so far.  The price of poker has gone way up.  

I remember paying $34K all-in rolling off the lot for a brand new 99 F250 4X4 7.3 diesel crew Lariat (top of the line at the time) and thinking ”what have I done spending this much on a truck I need to have my head examined” and a mere 20 or so years later here we are.

Dang trucks cost more than the house I grew up in. 

(yells at clouds)

Top of the line diesel these days with all the bells and whistles can cost you 6-figures......it's wild.

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Close to same.  Northern DFW to the Coleman area for me.  220+ miles each way.  If I can get out of the motroplex easily, I can make it in 3.5 hours.  

Same.  Perfect distance, ~4 hours.   30 miles from my house doesn’t even get me to the office.  Hell it barely gets me half way to the office. Oof  

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Top of the line diesel these days with all the bells and whistles can cost you 6-figures......it's wild.

92k when I spec’d a 350 srw KR in Nov.  

4 hours ago, deadshank said:

I remember paying $34K all-in rolling off the lot for a brand new 99 F250 4X4 7.3 diesel crew Lariat

Found my buddies window sticker from his ‘01 250 lariat awhile back and it was 35k. He sold it for a stupid low amount in ‘08 with less than 100k miles on it.  I’ve seen them for sale for about 70% of new, with those miles, recently.  People are a bit too crazy for the 7.3s imo.  

Mine will roll 100k in about a week.  Only 12k are mine.
the previous miles are one owner in Montana, and the bed and 5th wheel/gooseneck hookup in the bed are well used.  So I assume lots of Highway towing miles with that wear pattern and 88k over 3 years.

Want 10 years and 150k more out of it. Unless something silly happens with diesel or there’s some ridiculous advancement in motor vehicles that I can’t live without. 

5 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

You don’t get deer like they have in Alvin or Rosharon. 

Most definitely not, but it's not really about the deer. Also, it probably makes a difference that this land has been in the family for generations now and will one day be mine. I'm the only one of my generation left nearby who has that gene or whatever it is that makes you want to have a spot of land of your own and is willing to take care of it, so that also changes the calculus. 

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep.  Business partner just ordered a new F350 and it's going to run mid 80s, all in, and that is at invoice.  Would be in the 90s if he had to pay sticker.

26 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yep.  Business partner just ordered a new F350 and it's going to run mid 80s, all in, and that is at invoice.  Would be in the 90s if he had to pay sticker.

That's the neighborhood I'm looking at with the build I want to do and per the RAM web-site "build" function.  The dealer I work with wants me to build it with me and price it out.  He's saying $500.00 over invoice.  Will see if that is a decent deal.

All this talk has me realizing I should see if any of you degenerates might have interest in my Tahoe I’m selling now that I’m in the Bronco. 2013 LTZ, 83,000 miles. A little beat up from 8 years of twins and life, but in great mechanical condition, no wrecks, no smoking, clean title. I have a cash offer from a dealer here in town for a price I’m quite happy with (the used car market is insane which is part of the reason I pulled the trigger on this when I did) but they’ll obviously make money when they flip it. PM me if interested. 

That's the neighborhood I'm looking at with the build I want to do and per the RAM web-site "build" function.  The dealer I work with wants me to build it with me and price it out.  He's saying $500.00 over invoice.  Will see if that is a decent deal.

What dealer are you working with? I need to talk to a service guy about getting online to do the injection pump recall on my 2019 Ram. I bought from Mac Hail but have told myself I will never cross the driveway in the lot again.

20 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

I laughed at starter coil thingies...Dodge/Ram have a heater grid as they don't have glow plugs like Ford or GM.

Yeah, you know... the one that looks like a spring turned sideways.  I'm only 6 years into driving a Cummins.

image.png.7c94d8d252847915de7e539a5076cc99.png

6 hours ago, davidg said:

What dealer are you working with? I need to talk to a service guy about getting online to do the injection pump recall on my 2019 Ram. I bought from Mac Hail but have told myself I will never cross the driveway in the lot again.

Mike Smith CDJR  in Blowmont.  

Yeah, you know... the one that looks like a spring turned sideways.  I'm only 6 years into driving a Cummins.

image.png.7c94d8d252847915de7e539a5076cc99.png
It's all good man! Why dodge picked that icon I have no clue as it looks like a glow plug icon. The heater grid only works when the outside temp is below 55 degrees and it draws a lot of electrical power when in use. Some folks remove the heater grid as it gives the engine a bit more performance as it smoothes the airflow and removes the restriction into the intake.

8 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

It's all good man! Why dodge picked that icon I have no clue as it looks like a glow plug icon. The heater grid only works when the outside temp is below 55 degrees and it draws a lot of electrical power when in use. Some folks remove the heater grid as it gives the engine a bit more performance as it smoothes the airflow and removes the restriction into the intake.

I'm in a few Cummins groups on FB & have seen a lot of grid deletes on that.  Nothing like the bullshit FORD people have to go through if they are stuck with the Evil 6.0.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 4:59 PM, Planet Houston said:

All this talk has me realizing I should see if any of you degenerates might have interest in my Tahoe I’m selling now that I’m in the Bronco. 2013 LTZ, 83,000 miles. A little beat up from 8 years of twins and life, but in great mechanical condition, no wrecks, no smoking, clean title. I have a cash offer from a dealer here in town for a price I’m quite happy with (the used car market is insane which is part of the reason I pulled the trigger on this when I did) but they’ll obviously make money when they flip it. PM me if interested. 

south park tree fiddy GIF

Side steps/running board are from the Ford factory. I like them but it’s insane that Ford doesn’t have a set of mudflaps that actually fits the front wheels with their running board. These tires fling rocks something fierce and even with full PPF I’m paranoid I’m going to take a chunk out of my paint with a big rock. But I also want to wait a month or two to see if someone puts out a good aftermarket option that doesn’t involve sawing flaps to fit and drilling my own holes for brackets and bolts.

I may end up ditching them for rock rails down the line anyhow, my kids and wife can suffer getting in and out. I don’t use them to get in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Seen a 2 door bronco today on parmer in that dark yellow color. Love the lines, do want. 

also saw a maverick a couple of days ago. Gave me explorer sporttrac vibes. 

I checked out both 2 and 4 door broncos yesterday. I'm pretty close to placing an order. 

19 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Right now they can. Once it’s delivered to the dealership they will have no issue selling for over MSRP if you don’t take delivery.

Do you can order a truck from Ford, then what? Have it delivered directly to you? Sorry I'm new at this.. 

6 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Do you can order a truck from Ford, then what? Have it delivered directly to you? Sorry I'm new at this.. 

They send it to a dealer. All but a few are then putting adders to them for “current market” and if you walk they sell it at current rates because there are people standing in line to pay more. That’s what people are saying anyhow. 

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

For those of you that ordered broncos, how difficult was it to find a dealer that didn't add the mark-up? None of the dealers have the configuration I want on the lot (not a shock) and what they do have is marked up 8-12K, which I'm not going to pay. 

I had two dealers tell me they would sell at MSRP.  Hell, one of them even said they would honor X-Plan pricing (this was back in 2020).  For reservation holders like me, the key is to get the dealer to state the agreement to sell at MSRP (or less) in writing so that it's legally actionable if they subsequently try to mark it up.  I won't be surprised if my dealer tries some bullshit once my Bronco gets delivered, but I've got their representations about pricing in writing, which gives me some peace of mind.

In your case, unfortunately, I think you're going to need to wait until the craziness subsides before you'll be able to find an MSRP-priced Bronco on a dealer lot.  When that will occur is anyone's guess.   

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

They send it to a dealer. All but a few are then putting adders to them for “current market” and if you walk they sell it at current rates because there are people standing in line to pay more. That’s what people are saying anyhow. 

Dealerships that are adding markups to original orders for those that built their Bronco to be delivered to that dealer are getting raked over the coals for being dishonest. Most are not doing this. 

Now, if someone lets an order go, and the dealer can then put an unclaimed order on its lot, then a markup is truly that - market forces. If dealers custom order Broncos through friends and family and then mark them up after they (knowingly) don’t have someone to take delivery, then that is shady and takes away orders for folks like Carl. That’s harder to police obviously.

16 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Dealerships that are adding markups to original orders for those that built their Bronco to be delivered to that dealer are getting raked over the coals for being dishonest. Most are not doing this. 

Now, if someone lets an order go, and the dealer can then put an unclaimed order on its lot, then a markup is truly that - market forces. If dealers custom order Broncos through friends and family and then mark them up after they (knowingly) don’t have someone to take delivery, then that is shady and takes away orders for folks like Carl. That’s harder to police obviously.

I’m not even talking about Broncos. It’s been happening with 250/350s, raptors, and some trim mustangs, too. Per the forums. 

So drove my ‘21 F150 Plat on Fri morn. Left to go hunting with a buddy. Come back Sunday and the bitches battery is stone cold dead. Not even an interior light comes on. Had to open door with manual key inside the remote. My wifes car couldnt jump it. Worker came by yesterday morning in his f250 and it jumped started wuick. Let it run an hour till Mac Haik opened.
Drove down there. Service tech called and said they put a meter on battery and it was a bit low but not enough for warranty, wtf?? Only got 6k miles. Argued some and got a free replacement battery and earl
change.
Now im worried why it went dead. Servicectech said it’s happened to a few trucks not abnormal.
Yea right. Im sure the bitch will do it again when im in bfe.
Rant over

So drove my ‘21 F150 Plat on Fri morn. Left to go hunting with a buddy. Come back Sunday and the bitches battery is stone cold dead. Not even an interior light comes on. Had to open door with manual key inside the remote. My wifes car couldnt jump it. Worker came by yesterday morning in his f250 and it jumped started wuick. Let it run an hour till Mac Haik opened.
Drove down there. Service tech called and said they put a meter on battery and it was a bit low but not enough for warranty, wtf?? Only got 6k miles. Argued some and got a free replacement battery and earl
change.
Now im worried why it went dead. Servicectech said it’s happened to a few trucks not abnormal.
Rant over
That service dept is full of idiots, batteries don't go dead for no reason. Highly doubt an alternator crapped out at 6K miles.

35 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

change.
Rant over

Bought one of these years ago when a battery went dead at a trailhead in Big Bend. My jumper cables that I've had since I was 16 don't do much good when you have to wait 4 hours for another vehicle to arrive. I know it's not the issue you need to solve, but this is cheap insurance, and can charge your phone/act as flashlight in a pinch.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB50-UltraSafe-Lithium-Gasoline/dp/B07MVY7K43/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1HMJK4LSF6XKE&keywords=noco+boost+xl&qid=1643726415&sprefix=noco+boost+xl%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE1REhPVFFHUDczQk8mZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0NjM4ODNUUzJLTFgzVlUwR0smZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDgzNTkyOThRWVVRTk5HMzVLSyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

44 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Bought one of these years ago when a battery went dead at a trailhead in Big Bend. My jumper cables that I've had since I was 16 don't do much good when you have to wait 4 hours for another vehicle to arrive. I know it's not the issue you need to solve, but this is cheap insurance, and can charge your phone/act as flashlight in a pinch.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB50-UltraSafe-Lithium-Gasoline/dp/B07MVY7K43/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1HMJK4LSF6XKE&keywords=noco+boost+xl&qid=1643726415&sprefix=noco+boost+xl%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE1REhPVFFHUDczQk8mZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0NjM4ODNUUzJLTFgzVlUwR0smZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDgzNTkyOThRWVVRTk5HMzVLSyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I had bought and put jumper cables in  my kids vehicles when they started driving.  Made them a safety kit with a flashlight, gloves, LED flares, some basic tools, a tow strap for the 4x4 Tacoma, etc.   Both have either been jumped off or jumped off someone else using the cables but a couple of years ago I got them both the GB40 version of this jump box.  Works great for medium sized vehicles and during AZN black friday they are typically 25-33% off.   Much easier than cables.   I bought the big GB70 version for my truck and have used it on trucks, tractors and the dozer. I still carry a set of cables but these jump boxes have pretty much rendered them obsolete.

• Like 1

Edit timed out so:

ETA:  And about the battery running down, my kids car had a faulty trunk light switch that failed on and would keep the trunk light on all the time. He was at school and not driving it very much and would go out after a week and have to jump it off.  I replaced one battery in it and we finally traced it down by measuring the leakage current draw on the battery and pulling fuses until it stopped.  Did the same to an older suburban that had a bad gauge cluster and would cause a battery draw down.  Intermittent electrical issues in vehicles are a pain in the ass to troubleshoot.

• Like 1

So when’s the last time anyone push started a vehicle?

follow up question- with all the electronic components on modern vehicles, if a battery is empty would the trickle charge coming in from the alternator during a push start be enough to get the vehicle running, or is that a lost cause?  

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

follow up question- with all the electronic components on modern vehicles, if a battery is empty would the trickle charge coming in from the alternator during a push start be enough to get the vehicle running, or is that a lost cause?  

1983 for me. Had a 1969 F150 3-speed on the column. Push it, jump in it, pop the clutch and take off.

Not sure about modern vehicles though. Would think that computers and other electronics would create an issue.

Left on a business trip and accidentally left my lights on on my daily driver (aka beater) when I parked it in a parking garage out by LAX. Luckily for me, I backed in and was on the 5th floor. So I loaded up and pushed the civic down the garage ramp and popped the clutch....fired right up. I loved that car, however, someone else loved it more than me and stole it.

User name doesn't check out 37fcece8881cc84fc8933899f66f0e06.jpg