The Stevie Ray Vaughan Thread

Hornius Emeritus

On 10/7/2020 at 4:08 PM, Deej said:

Steamboat was a weird sound a lot of times. Stage on a long wall with little distance from the stage to the back wall. Sound would immediately bounce back towards the stage. 

it's not an audience recording or anything, it came from the KLBJ truck which I always assumed meant it was a soundboard recording (it sounds like one)

I always thought the recording was really solid, though that might be because it was a really great performance featuring stuff that dropped out of SRV's repertoire in his later career

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Got damn.  What a power trio.  I don't think Whipper & Tommy got NEAR enough credit.  Layton had a far deeper groove and flexibility than most people realize, and Shannon's tone, fluidity and timing were top notch.

If you consider 3-man instrumental lineups, they could hold their own with almost any of the greats:  Cream, Led Zep, Queen, ZZ Top, Van Halen, Rush, the Hendrix Experience.  Just a smokin' hot live band.  Thanks for that link.

• Hook 'Em 3

I saw Stevie Ray a bunch.  Never knew him, never met him, but I feel like I know his music incredibly well.  And yet, every time I watch one of these videos I am absolutely gobsmacked.

He played perfectly.  His tone, his phrasing, his choices, the tension and release, NOTHING was ever not on point.  It's just extraordinary.  I can watch a live clip of almost any guitar god and find something to criticize within 8 bars.  I could watch 8 hours of Stevie Ray and never find one damn thing to question.  Hell, even his singing was stellar.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

On 9/14/2021 at 4:07 PM, tbone_ said:

That’s my favorite live concert recording.

I was sitting with one college roommate watching it when another walked in, watched for a minute, and said “What’s this?” Roommate 1 turned to me and said, “Oh. He doesn’t know.”

Roommate 2 plunked down and watched the whole rest of the show with us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/14/2021 at 11:20 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Got damn.  What a power trio.  I don't think Whipper & Tommy got NEAR enough credit.  Layton had a far deeper groove and flexibility than most people realize, and Shannon's tone, fluidity and timing were top notch.

If you consider 3-man instrumental lineups, they could hold their own with almost any of the greats:  Cream, Led Zep, Queen, ZZ Top, Van Halen, Rush, the Hendrix Experience.  Just a smokin' hot live band.  Thanks for that link.

THAT is why I honestly thought that when they reemerged post Stevie with the addition a Doyle Bramhall Jr. and Charlie Sexton were added to the mix as The Arc Angels, I honestly believed I was watching the wellspring of a super group.  I saw their first show at Continental for like $5, then it was like $10 the next week, and climbed from there.  But two GREAT guitar players with Stevie's rhythm section had a band that was steeped in the blues, and deep in talent.  You think that Charlie and Doyle have been hired guns for the likes of Clapton and Dylan over the course of multiple tours is a separate testament to their talents.

Saw Stevie maybe 25+ times. A girl Holly turned me on to them I forget where, but Saw him most at Steamboat.  It was fun to see him open up for George Thurgood and basically make Thurgood say when he took the stage, "We can't do that but we are gonna rock this place" at the Austin Opry House. Made me happy for the hometown hero. Saw him at Club Foot for sure and at a place across from the DPS office Third Coast.  The thing that was great about Steamboat was the guys on the other side of my Parker lane duplex were two of the bartenders at Steamboat, so it was easy on the budget.  I still remember praying "Let it be Robert Cray..." before his identity was announced. I would have liked to have seen him as he aged.  

There is a documentary Tomorrow at the Paramount Theater about the Brothers and Jimmie is answering some questions after the show.  Think the wife and I are gonna pull the trigger. Good article on the movie in the Statesman, "Brother's in Blues."  Bothers in Blues Statesman Article

Edited by horn4life

18 minutes ago, horn4life said:

There is a documentary Tomorrow at the Paramount Theater about the Brothers and Jimmie is answering some questions after the show.  Think the wife and I are gonna pull the trigger. Good article on the movie in the Statesman, "Brother's in Blues."  Bothers in Blues Statesman Article

you're gonna be disappointed if you show up tomorrow, it's definitely tonight. 

https://tickets.austintheatre.org/9222/9223

• Hook 'Em 1

One my biggest regrets in life was being in Austin 86-90 and never seeing Stevie live. I don’t know how that happened but it did. FML.

I got turned on to Stevie by my dad. It was 82/83 ish and I was around 14. I was way into Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Rush, etc etc. My dad was always a source of music influence for me. Burned Willie and Kris and others into my brain for a decade in the backseat of the car.

Well one day we get in the car and he pulls out this cassette, pops it in, and says listen to this shit! Out comes Love Struck Baby. Then Pride and Joy. Then Texas Flood. That was one of the 3 or 4 moments that changed my music trajectory forever.

RIP dad and Stevie.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Well one day we get in the car and he pulls out this cassette, pops it in, and says listen to this shit! Out comes Love Struck Baby. Then Pride and Joy. Then Texas Flood. That was one of the 3 or 4 moments that changed my music trajectory forever.

I did a short stint at UT my sophomore year and subsequently returned for grad school.  I came down to Austin to scope out apartments, etc. and went to the lake with one of my undergrad buddies.  I was in the back seat of some dude's beater Monte Carlo or some shit and he said "hey guys listen to this".  Popped in a cassette of "Texas Flood" -- instant mind blown.  I returned home to Missouri, went to my local record store, ordered SRV's first two albums ("Couldn't Stand The Weather" had just come out), and turned those record store guys onto the best guitarist on the planet, as they hadn't heard of him yet.