Port Aransas

Paco

man, this is a sad deal.  rockport too.  i talked to a lady a few weeks ago that had a place in rockport and she said many there will never rebuild.  said land was cheap.  

i havent heard about sandcastle but lots of places have reopened lately - allister square inn, best western, beachcomber, double barr, beachgate, gulfstream, days inn, plantation suites.  

• Like 1

Have an aunt that has a condo at the Sandpiper.  It looks like it might be June at the earliest before they'll be open.  They are just now getting the roof repairs inspected and can start on redoing all of the interiors.  All of their damage originated from the bay side as they got the "other side" of the storm.

Have an aunt that has a condo at the Sandpiper.  It looks like it might be June at the earliest before they'll be open.  They are just now getting the roof repairs inspected and can start on redoing all of the interiors.  All of their damage originated from the bay side as they got the "other side" of the storm.

Yeah Seagull is slow going too. Not sure how much is because of the nature of the damage and how much is just slow moving.

My Coastal Home has taken over A Mano’s location. I can’t remember what was across the street from the IGA but that’s still wreckage. Venetian Hotplate looks like it is still being worked on. Gaff looks open and La Playa was busy tonight (crabmeat enchiladas were delicious). I ran out to get something from CVS an hour ago and.... noope. I’ll try and get some beach pics tomorrow. Looking forward to Easter service, seems like a good place to hear about the dead rising.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the big condo buildings were being worked on, and still had plenty of plywood in the windows. Port Royal was putting a new roof on the building closest to 361.

I think Beachgate is open, and maybe the small one next to it, Port A Beach club?

We enjoyed our time. We may go back again late in the summer. Lots being worked on but it’s still port A. I imagine a lot more will be back on line by summer. Fishing was good we took in 12-15 reds and a trout. Weather was bizarre ended up cold too.

My cousin and his brother-in-law have a beach house they rent out about halfway down Mustang Island between Corpus and Port A. It's just past Access Road 2 between there and Fire Station 16 on Frontside Drive. You can sleep upwards or 20 or much less. They're about finished putting a new roof on and it'll be game on for them. Easy walk or golf cart ride over the wood bridge to the beach. LMK if you want details. It's a cool little place.

Edited by C-Man

On 4/1/2018 at 12:09 PM, stupidgringo said:

Shorty's looks pretty damn good to me right now. Wish I were in Port A.

Seems like I recall reading a post on TOS that it was completely gone, wiped off the face of the planet. That was posted I think within hours of the storm passing. Like a fool I believed that report. Shorty's can't be killed.

• Like 1

The Sandpiper just got it's roof inspected and passed within the last month.  They are thinking August/September since they just started the sheetrock.  They took all of the sheetrock out up to two feet and all the way in certain rooms/floors.  I would imagine that the Seagull is in a similar situation.  They lost half of the brick on the south wall.

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

i always liked the liquor stores in town, but not sure if they reopened.  why would you have to "stop for liquor"? can't you plan your liquor needs ahead and pack it with your sunscreen and your swimsuit?

One of the Spanky's is completely gone  There is a surreal photo of what was left after the storm.  All the walls and roof were completely gone.  There was a row of shelves standing that still had liquor bottles neatly arranged on it.  No idea how that happened.

49 minutes ago, kevwun said:

One of the Spanky's is completely gone  There is a surreal photo of what was left after the storm.  All the walls and roof were completely gone.  There was a row of shelves standing that still had liquor bottles neatly arranged on it.  No idea how that happened.

stormpics82-superJumbo.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2018 at 8:24 AM, thrillhammer said:

Got an email from Aransas Princess this morning that they are back open for business.  

indeed. if you go to Sancastle's website this is the update they have.

Due to the impacts of Hurricane Harvey, we currently only are taking reservations for stays at the Aransas Princess Condominiums and the Alister Square Inn.  We are assessing and repairing the other properties as quickly as possible so we can share Port Aransas with our guests again.

no real word on Sandcastle though.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed in one of these this weekend.  Was really nice.  10 bedrooms, and most of them had a king with a bunk bed built into the wall. There was a shallow pool in the back that got WARM during the day, but the kids liked it.   There are four units all together, each with this set up.  Large dining and kitchen area.  It is directly across Eleventh street from Shells.  Quick walk/ drive to the beach.  I don't really like hanging out with 9 other couples, but if you were going to go family reunion or corporate event, it would be perfect. 

http://www.portaransasbeachclub.com/

The place we've been renting out for one week every August for the past 5-6 years is a no go for at least another 6-9 months. Sucks. On the plus side, I got fairly close to buying one of those units last year so there's that stroke of good luck.

I've been looking at South Padre instead this year for the annual family beach trip. It's only a couple of more hours in the car but I feel like a traitor.

I have a friend who owns a condo at Port Royal. They were hoping to open June 1; I wonder if they are still on track? We are staying there in July; he was pretty confident things would be good by then.

Some friends of ours had just bought and renovated a house in Port A, they put the finishing touches on it about two weeks before the hurricane hit.  They sustained some damage but managed to get it complete and reopened for this summer.

The VRBO listing for it is here: https://www.vrbo.com/1232449

They look mostly booked through the summer but have availability in the Fall which is my preferred time to head down there anyway.  Check it out if you are so inclined, they're really great people.