Port Aransas

Paco

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

La Playa has really really good food.  Their beef fajitas are awesome and if you take your fish to get cooked by them get them blackened, some of the best blackened fish I’ve ever had.  Lelo’s is a really good burger, thanks @justhookit  for the recommendation.  

Glad to hear La Playa is still putting out great food.  It is my personal favorite for PA dining.  I need to get down there.

42 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

La Playa has really really good food.  Their beef fajitas are awesome and if you take your fish to get cooked by them get them blackened, some of the best blackened fish I’ve ever had.  Lelo’s is a really good burger, thanks @justhookit  for the recommendation.  

LaPlaya was my favorite on our last trip.  Their seafood enchiladas and the table guac were awesome.  Margaritas kick ass as well.

30 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

LaPlaya was my favorite on our last trip.  Their seafood enchiladas and the table guac were awesome.  Margaritas kick ass as well.

Oh yea that too the Margaritas are kick ass and strong.  The frozen with a grand mariner floater is great.  They have like 50 tequilas too.

Had to look it up.  It's Paul's Seafood Market.  We used to go to Port A Crabs, but they got wiped out by Harvey.  There's a lot more commercial fishing around Galvestion, so it will never be able to compare.

Edited by kevwun

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

Had to look it up.  It's Paul's Seafood Market.  We used to go to Port A Crabs, but they got wiped out by Harvey.  There's a lot more commercial fishing around Galvestion, so it will never be able to compare.

Muchas gracias

67150561_10219985699982509_2806417745300

What's the condition on the Port Aransas beaches?

Toxic? Flesh & face eating bacteria err'where??

Considering a weekend jaunt for 02 /03 / 04 Aug, etc. & need intel.

Should I get my freak out on?  The wife [wives & the...] has her concerned flag flying @ full mast.

67191598_10219985715702902_8643200999743

67359023_10219985709582749_7593345657834

67169249_10219985713222840_6114176362954

Just got back from a week in Port A, staying in our RV at On The Beach RV resort.  The beach access on 1A is great, and the rv park itself was decent enough.

I did not encounter any flesh eating bacteria.

Unfortunately I did encounter the stinger-end of a stingray, must have stepped on it out at the sandbar despite my best attempt at the "stingray shuffle."  All I can say is, wow, that's some incredible pain.  It hit me on the foot between my big toe and next toe, I was able to walk for the first 10 minutes or so, just enough to make it home, and then I couldn't stand on that foot.  Oddly enough, the only treatment that worked, was EXTREMELY hot water-- as hot as you can stand-- for as long as you can stand.  They say this neutralizes the venom in the sting?  I don't understand the chemistry, but it worked.  A couple hours later and it felt as if nothing had ever happened.  Really strange.

The vibrio thing comes up a few times a year because some new case is reported and regards like your wife freak the fuck out. It’s almost always an older, sick person and/or someone with a cut and 99% of the time it’s contacted in the bays, not the surf. Tell her she’s much more likely to get bitten by a shark.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The vibrio thing comes up a few times a year because some new case is reported and regards like your wife freak the fuck out. It’s almost always an older, sick person and/or someone with a cut and 99% of the time it’s contacted in the bays, not the surf. Tell her she’s much more likely to get bitten by a shark.

Tone.

A heads up for anyone headed to Port A via Aransas Pass and the ferry:  work is being done on the bridge on 361 just south of Aransas Pass.  One lane is open, but there are temporary traffic lights on either end, so you may encounter some unexpected traffic.  Not sure when the work is scheduled for completion.

Also, they have started to resurface 361 from Aransas Pass to the ferry landing, so lots of loose gravel all over the place.

I love the decision to do all of this road and bridge work at the height of tourist season.  Great job to whomever scheduled these projects for the summer.  Couldn't do it last winter or wait a few months for this fall/winter.  Nope, let's make getting to the beach as much of a pain in the ass for as many people as possible.  Our tax dollars at work...

Just got back from a week in Port A, staying in our RV at On The Beach RV resort.  The beach access on 1A is great, and the rv park itself was decent enough.
I did not encounter any flesh eating bacteria.
Unfortunately I did encounter the stinger-end of a stingray, must have stepped on it out at the sandbar despite my best attempt at the "stingray shuffle."  All I can say is, wow, that's some incredible pain.  It hit me on the foot between my big toe and next toe, I was able to walk for the first 10 minutes or so, just enough to make it home, and then I couldn't stand on that foot.  Oddly enough, the only treatment that worked, was EXTREMELY hot water-- as hot as you can stand-- for as long as you can stand.  They say this neutralizes the venom in the sting?  I don't understand the chemistry, but it worked.  A couple hours later and it felt as if nothing had ever happened.  Really strange.

On the beach is our go to spot. It’s not the fanciest and the spots are small but the location is the best out of any of the other parks in my opinion.
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, drifter379 said:

On the beach is our go to spot. It’s not the fanciest and the spots are small but the location is the best out of any of the other parks in my opinion.

Cool thanks.  Pioneer looked good too, larger and nicer but not as close to the beach I think... ever been there?

Cool thanks.  Pioneer looked good too, larger and nicer but not as close to the beach I think... ever been there?

Pioneer is probably the best park we have stayed at as far as lot sizes and facilities. You have to book way in advance because of all the long term snowbirds that stay there. Also getting in and out of the park on 361 can be a real pain in the ass. You can walk to the beach from the back if you don’t mind carrying all your stuff back and forth.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Not Port A, but close enough. Lovely out on north Padre Island

daa4ea343709f676261a3eb42e64511b.jpg

I love PINS, we camp there regularly.  Get about 5 miles down and you have the place all to yourself, unless it's a holiday weekend or something.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, utee94 said:

I love PINS, we camp there regularly.  Get about 5 miles down and you have the place all to yourself, unless it's a holiday weekend or something.

Ok, serious question.  When you go 5 miles down, where do you take your morning shit?  Drive the 5 miles back to the restroom?  Dig a cathole?  Squat over a trashbag?  

6 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Ok, serious question.  When you go 5 miles down, where do you take your morning shit?  Drive the 5 miles back to the restroom?  Dig a cathole?  Squat over a trashbag?  

I bring the shitter with me.

460949_2096450467342_402083085_o.jpg?_nc

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So yesterday was the 2 year anniversary of hurricane Harvey, and Port A has never needed an excuse to throw a party. There were several of them but by far the best was at Salty Dog. It was also the grand re-opening and it seemed like the whole town turned out, plus a bunch of tourists. They did a great job on the new building and I’m guessing it will be the new most popular place to go, replacing Bernie’s.

i should have taken some pictures but it was so crowded it would have been hard to get good ones. I’ll try later this week.

Edited by justhookit
Pics

Last time I was at the Salty Dog was when a couple of guys in the bachelor party group I was with got thrown out of Bernie's on Friday night because one of my friends may or may not have took a swing at a bouncer.  Hypothetically speaking, it was lucky that he was so drunk that he missed.  We figured we should probably go somewhere else the next night, so Salty Dog it was.

Edited by kevwun

Welp, Salty Dog was an absolute shitshow tonight. Extremely crowded for a Thursday night, lots of what I’d term the “higher end” locals were there that are usually at other places. Not sure if it’s just because it’s a novelty or this is a new trend, but they were understaffed and their POS system is crap. If any of y’all are coming in town for the holiday weekend come see it for sure, but go,early and if you go late be prepared to wait a long time for a drink. Even worse for game watching the Texas game they only have 3 tv’s, one of which (at the main bar) seems to be permanently connected to TapTV trivia.

361, Stingrays, and the new Red’s (the old Lovetts) are going to be better options even though I’m not a big fan of any of them. 

• 3 weeks later...

@T-shirt SipStingrays is actually a sports bar but they somehow fucked it up so bad that really the only good view of any tv is by sitting at the bar. And forget about sound. It will also likely be packed so get there early if you go.

also, not much has changed since August 30

Edited by justhookit