Port Aransas

Paco

40 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Cancun Grill and Cantina is open again, correct?  We are going in a couple of weeks because our friend's place is ready and we like to get breakfast at Cancun.

Yep. Had breakfast at Cancun a week ago today.  Pretty crowded, but good to see a lot of people on the island (other than contractors.)

• Like 1

Our only use for Castaways was for boiled shrimp. the per pound price was the lowest I could find. Glad to hear Cancun is open, figured they would be ok considering their location. I'll be down next month. I booked a few months back, found a good deal on airbnb, prices are definitely higher than last year.  

On 4/18/2018 at 10:32 PM, RD3 said:

Any word on Port Royal?

Took the fam for opening weekend June 1-4, just got back.  Fantastic trip!   

tldr: main building needs some work, pool-facing condos at about 75%, ocean-facing condos at 100%, pools/slides/beaches in excellent shape - maybe in even better shape.

The main building closest to 361 is out of service - the top floor, including the restaurant, has been gutted as well as the ground floor lobby area - staff said this main building took the most damage as it was broadside to the counterclockwise hurricane winds.  Out front they have a temporary building with offices and some food trucks (pizza, burgers, etc.). The buildings on either side of the pool appeared fully repaired - new AC units, paint, etc. (though some of the top floor balcony roofs were waiting to be installed).  The buildings facing the ocean were in the best shape and nearly at 100%.

The pools, slides, and surrounding grounds looked amazing.  The main swim-up bar was open but the roof is being replaced - the swim-up burger hut near the slide was taken out but looks like it will be rebuilt at some point.  The beaches looked the best I've seen them, I think they are scrapping the beaches weekly/daily to remove the extra debris, which also removes the seaweed.

Great summer to get down to the coast and support the rebuild.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Texas Town said:

Took the fam (to Port Royal) for opening weekend June 1-4, just got back.  Fantastic trip!   

This is an awesome writeup!  Thanks for the update.

My friend owns a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo on the top floor overlooking both the pool and ocean but mostly viewing/directed towards the pool.

When we went last summer, we spent all of our time at the beach, the pool, or our room.  We were there 3 nights and didn't venture out to eat; just made food at the condo. But this year we are going 6 nights and plan to do more stuff...

for anyone curious about Sandcastle's status, this was posted on their site a couple weeks ago

Sandcastle Update: Status as of 5/16/2018

Due to the significant damages sustained as a result of Hurricane Harvey, Sandcastle Condominiums is still not accepting future reservations at this time. We are working diligently to make all necessary repairs in a timely manner, however we do not expect to be open in 2018. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.

Headed down the week  before the 4th.

Any direction/recs for a place to stay?  Had an RV that was used for years in town, lost it in the divorce, so now looking for a nice place to stay. Have not been back since the hurricane,  left the week before it came ashore, so it's been years since I had to 'find' a place to stay.  Help a brother out.

1 hour ago, Al Czervik said:

Headed down the week  before the 4th.

Any direction/recs for a place to stay?  Had an RV that was used for years in town, lost it in the divorce, so now looking for a nice place to stay. Have not been back since the hurricane,  left the week before it came ashore, so it's been years since I had to 'find' a place to stay.  Help a brother out.

Just got back from a weekend trip.  Stayed at the Old Town Cottages - nice place.  Walking distance to La Playa and other restaurants. 

1 hour ago, Farkimedes said:

We are making a surprise trip next week to Rockport to stay at my Uncles House. Anyone have any TD s I’m in bay fishing guides in rockport or Port A?

Isn't that area taking a pounding from more rains?

On 4/18/2018 at 10:32 PM, RD3 said:

Any word on Port Royal?

I talked to my friend with a place there. He went this past weekend and his place is still not ready.  Sounds like far from it.  He stayed in another unit.  We changed our plans for July.  Likely doing either the JW Marriott in SA or Lost Pines or something.  Those guys got hit hard.

10 hours ago, Farkimedes said:

We are making a surprise trip next week to Rockport to stay at my Uncles House. Anyone have any TD s I’m in bay fishing guides in rockport or Port A?

Blake Muirhead in Rockport is a good one.  We are heading down to Port A after work today.  First time down since Harvey.

17 minutes ago, abuelo gringo said:

Hope you're not staying on ground level. Looks like a lot of water went through there.

The house we stay at didn't flood during Harvey, so I think we should be fine as long as we can get to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Mosquitoes are out of control. I grilled steaks the other night and not only did they go after me but they also were attacking the grille. Never seen anything like it. Other than that the beach is in poor shape from last weeks rains but it’s getting better every day. And hopefully we will be back to normal by next summer. There will still be some condos not open but pretty much everything else should be good to go. No more hurricanes please.

Best restaurant in town is liberty hall/inferno. Corner of allister and cotter. Venetian hot plate is also excellent but you’ll need a reservation. La Barataria and Lisabella’s are good too. For more casual cheaper food I like shells and kody’s. Also harbor lights which is at the back porch bar. They have live music on weekends but I think the kitchen closes at 6.

depends on your age but the most popular bar in town is Bernie’s. They have a great happy hour from open until 7. Dollar draft beer and 2 dollar wells. About 10 pm it turns into a dance club with mostly 20s and 30 year olds. Shortys is a good place for a beer outside and so is the back porch.

The gaff had some 24 oz craft beers served in a large mason jar for $2.50. It’s called pirate sized. They have belt sander racing and brick on the oven pizza. That means a crappy oven with a brick on it. No ac and “say yes to the dress” on the tv with plenty of commentary from the bartender. Heaven?

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great time down there, but it was weird. I'll echo justhookit, by the end of the week the mosquitos were as bad as I've ever seen them. My uncles house is behind the Aransas County Airport up against the Copano and by the end I couldn't go outside for more than a minute without swatting full time. The day we left we had to spray everyone down before they got in the car because the van itself had a bunch in it just from loading.

We did two trips to Port A and the first time the beach was a hot mess from the flooding. Ate at Irie's and Trout Street ( kind of a family tradition at this point ), port is clearly not at full capacity. Oddly, a bunch of stuff down there is closed Monday / Tuesday becasue they can't find enough workers, and they want to be open on the weekend rather than during the week. Pretty much everything but Hudats / Whataburger / Taco Bell was closed Monday Tuesday in Rockport ( including Los Camoles ). 

We took a "sunset boat cruise" out of the Fulton Harbor w/ Captain Tommy ( who showed up at 6:00 PM bad hungover from the previous night in Port A ). He told us it we were the first tour he'd had in two weeks ( he kept us out longer than normal to say thanks ). He also told me his business was so low he'd signed a contract to ferry workers and equipment back and forth to St. Joe's for 6 months starting in July for all the construction they were going to have to do. 

I didn't do well fishing and my skills have nearly evaporated. What I really need is to hire a guide that will re-train me for like 3 days.

Not quite Port A, but close-- I spent much of the 4th of July week camping on the beach at Padre Island National Seashore, and the mosquitoes were definitely worse than I can ever remember.  During the day it wasn't terrible, but from dusk on, they were unbearable.  No amount of 40% DEET repellent could help.  Which is too bad, because stargazing out there is normally one of my favorite parts.  

We went out with a guide yesterday and met him at Goose Island which always has bad mosquitoes regardless of rain. They were so thick they had the car covered before we got out while we were waiting. I don’t know how anyone survives camping there. No way in hell I would do that.

On 7/3/2018 at 12:30 PM, justhookit said:

Best restaurant in town is liberty hall/inferno. Corner of allister and cotter. Venetian hot plate is also excellent but you’ll need a reservation. La Barataria and Lisabella’s are good too. For more casual cheaper food I like shells and kody’s. Also harbor lights which is at the back porch bar. They have live music on weekends but I think the kitchen closes at 6.

depends on your age but the most popular bar in town is Bernie’s. They have a great happy hour from open until 7. Dollar draft beer and 2 dollar wells. About 10 pm it turns into a dance club with mostly 20s and 30 year olds. Shortys is a good place for a beer outside and so is the back porch.

This is a pretty solid list.  I will add La Playa for the great table side guac alone.  For an entree, order anything with seafood in it. 

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

This is a pretty solid list.  I will add La Playa for the great table side guac alone.  For an entree, order anything with seafood in it. 

Second the rec for La Playa.  Great food.

Be sure to have cash - they don't do cards.  They do have an ATM, but I don't know the charge.

15 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Just had dinner at Kody’s. Meh.
Although the crab stuffed avocados and jalapenos were on point.

Wife likes their fried shrimp and I like their fried oysters.  Not fans of the garlic fish so many rave about.  Differences in taste, I guess.

Agree on their stuffed avacados.

Edited by abuelo gringo

Down here currently and it's been years since I've seen this place. Damn it's changed in a decade. Fishing has been so-so but seeing sea turtles and dolphins everywhere. Beach is in good condition, water is perfect, beers are cold.  Good to see everything recovering after the storm.