Port Aransas

Paco

Heading down Friday.  The weather is supposed to be glorious.  We are going to the beach on Friday until we can get in to our house and other than that no plans other than the Texas game.  The house we rented overlooks the flats on the back side of 361 with a nice big porch.  I am going to get good and proper drunk on it.

Irie's island food

September 22 at 9:29 AM  · 

Hello friends! We have been waiting to make an announcement until we had clearer information regarding our reopening timeline. The construction on our new building will be completed over the next month. Then we will need to install all the elements to make it a restaurant. This includes things like exhaust hood vents, walk in cooler, sinks, decor, etc..

Opening our old building up again is not feasible at this point, as we will need to remove the afore mentioned items to complete our work at the new location. This will render the old structure inoperable. Our hope is to open up in a few months and start fresh with the new location. Some of the things to look forward to are: 4x to 6x the amount of seating including a large shaded patio, expanded menu with more entrees and dinner items, extra high ceilings and lots of square footage, open 7 days a week (if staff size allows), lively decor featuring a large indoor mural and other work from local artists, and an extra large kitchen equipped to serve a great number of people per day. There are a few more big surprises, but we will hold off on announcing those until we get closer to opening. We miss you all, hope you are well and happy, and look forward to seeing you soon! Thank you so much for your understanding and patience!

I think Irie's has been a favorite of several posters on this thread.  This is from their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/iriesislandfood

• Hook 'Em 3

On 9/30/2020 at 11:49 AM, kevwun said:

Heading down Friday.  The weather is supposed to be glorious.  We are going to the beach on Friday until we can get in to our house and other than that no plans other than the Texas game.  The house we rented overlooks the flats on the back side of 361 with a nice big porch.  I am going to get good and proper drunk on it.

Sorry you had to watch the Texas game, hope the properly drunk part helped out with that. 

6 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Where’d you get the founder?

We went on a gigging trip in July with a guide in Rockport and got our limit.  It was a food and wine recipe and we're definitely making it again.

Edited by kevwun

I am kicking around getting a VRBO the week of 10/19 in Port A, but we’ve never been.  I have a 6yo and 3yo.  We’ll be bringing most of our food and cooking at the beach house because the 3yo has some hard to deal with food allergies, but we’d also like to get take-out a couple of times (we won’t go to the restaurants).  Lots of options to walk to beach just south of Port A proper, but anything further south worth looking at?  Anything to avoid?

19 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I am kicking around getting a VRBO the week of 10/19 in Port A, but we’ve never been.  I have a 6yo and 3yo.  We’ll be bringing most of our food and cooking at the beach house because the 3yo has some hard to deal with food allergies, but we’d also like to get take-out a couple of times (we won’t go to the restaurants).  Lots of options to walk to beach just south of Port A proper, but anything further south worth looking at?  Anything to avoid?

Build a bonfire on the beach and cook hotdogs and s'mores. Kids love that shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Check out Cinnamon Shores south of PA proper. They have some good local restaurants (pizza in particular), and easy beach access.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, zman13 said:

Build a bonfire on the beach and cook hotdogs and s'mores. Kids love that shit.

that's exactly what we plan on doing tomorrow.

except it's just us grownups 😄 even better!

arrived today, here for the week. we'll probably get takeout from La Playa once but all other meals prepared inhouse. 

looks glorious and i can't wait to be baked on the beach. and sunburnt. 😎

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, mchookem said:

arrived today, here for the week. we'll probably get takeout from La Playa once but all other meals prepared inhouse. 

Seeya Friday when we make it down.  Yay beach.

1 hour ago, troph said:

Are you worried about hurricane Delta ? We are supposed to go tomorrow.

Nah not really worried.   The hurricane will be well up the coast.  We're headed out early Friday morning and will stay thru Tuesday.  We won't need to drive to the beach since the RV park is easy walking distance, but if the beaches aren't safe for the first bit of the trip we'll manage.

• Like 1

Nah not really worried.   The hurricane will be well up the coast.  We're headed out early Friday morning and will stay thru Tuesday.  We won't need to drive to the beach since the RV park is easy walking distance, but if the beaches aren't safe for the first bit of the trip we'll manage.

Thanks ! We leave a day sooner but hopefully it will be the same.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, HenryJames said:

The Port Aransas Beaches will be closed to vehicular traffic beginning,Thursday, October 8th at 8:00 pm until Saturday, October 10th at a time to be determined, when the mayor deems the beach to be safely accessible by vehicles.

That's probably due to the storm surge from the hurricane.  The last storm in the gulf had the water up REALLY high - it almost went over my lower bulkhead and all my docks were 18" under water.  A buddy of mine said his dock was just underwater this morning (it's not too bad at my place yet but I'm way farther back in the canals).  FYI, we're on NPI about 20 min south of Port A.

If it comes up like last time you won't BE ABLE to drive on the beaches because the water will come up too high (it was at the dunes here).

Edited by Ag with kids

40 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

That's probably due to the storm surge from the hurricane.  The last storm in the gulf had the water up REALLY high - it almost went over my lower bulkhead and all my docks were 18" under water.  A buddy of mine said his dock was just underwater this morning (it's not too bad at my place yet but I'm way farther back in the canals).  FYI, we're on NPI about 20 min south of Port A.

If it comes up like last time you won't BE ABLE to drive on the beaches because the water will come up too high (it was at the dunes here).

Yeah they don't want a bunch of wrecked vehicles, tent canopies etc. all over the place, which will happen if they don't close it.

On 10/5/2020 at 9:41 PM, mchookem said:

arrived today, here for the week. we'll probably get takeout from La Playa once but all other meals prepared in house. 

FYI  just so you know LaPlaya doesn't do takeout, but if you get there a few minutes before 5 you can sign up for seating and request outside?  Kody's or Lelo's would be my to go choices.

The storm surge may have me making a quick turnaround if IB Magee makes me evacuate and move my trailer.  We needed to come back to Austin to take care of some stuff at the house but spending a week at the beach in our own space was so relaxing.  More than either of us thought actually. First  time ever I didn't put a few reds or trout in the box, with a moderate amount of effort.  But with the big cold front and then unfavorable winds I wasn't alone in the tough going.  Next week looks like it may be perfect for fishing. Did pull out my personal best flounder though so there's that.

I was surprised by the number of people on the weekends.  A lot more folks than I have ever seen in October, the beaches on Saturday were pretty packed near town.  High tides mean less beach to pack more people into and well... people are stupid.  And drunk at the beach raises that level of normal stupidity up a few more notches.  I think parking the trailer for a month every October in Port A is gonna be our tradition in the future, with our trailer.  

Can't wait to get back down wether it's tomorrow or early next week.  

29 minutes ago, horn4life said:

FYI  just so you know LaPlaya doesn't do takeout, but if you get there a few minutes before 5 you can sign up for seating and request outside?  Kody's or Lelo's would be my to go choices.

The storm surge may have me making a quick turnaround if IB Magee makes me evacuate and move my trailer.  We needed to come back to Austin to take care of some stuff at the house but spending a week at the beach in our own space was so relaxing.  More than either of us thought actually. First  time ever I didn't put a few reds or trout in the box, with a moderate amount of effort.  But with the big cold front and then unfavorable winds I wasn't alone in the tough going.  Next week looks like it may be perfect for fishing. Did pull out my personal best flounder though so there's that.

I was surprised by the number of people on the weekends.  A lot more folks than I have ever seen in October, the beaches on Saturday were pretty packed near town.  High tides mean less beach to pack more people into and well... people are stupid.  And drunk at the beach raises that level of normal stupidity up a few more notches.  I think parking the trailer for a month every October in Port A is gonna be our tradition in the future, with our trailer.  

Can't wait to get back down wether it's tomorrow or early next week.  

Yeah we're at On The Beach RV resort which is on the backside of the dunes, so hopefully it'll be all clear when we get there tomorrow afternoon.

4 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Staying close to you next weekend. Best bets for takeout?

Yeah we're at On The Beach RV resort which is on the backside of the dunes, so hopefully it'll be all clear when we get there tomorrow afternoon.

Hope we are ok, got out of town super late. Supposed to arrive at 10pm and fish 6:45am. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

@horn4life Unless something has changed very recently, La Playa is doing takeout. Just got some a few weeks ago.

we WERE able to get it last night, but the host did say they had really stopped doing takeout...but it was early and he said he'd 'hook us up, np' 😊✌ good peeps

and my god the marisco enchiladas. delicioso!

pretty gloomy today, spent it on the other side. where the old folks take pictures lol 

definitely see the impact of so many big storms in the gulf this year. 

30 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

What about non-fried seafood then?

Unfortunately my first choice and the only place I really love here Is Inferno/Liberty Hall and it’s closed and probably not reopening. 

Garlic fish at Kodys is always solid, and so is the blackened drum at Harbor Lights. If you want to spend a little more, Usually can’t go wrong at Venetian. Black marlin has some pretty good food and Lisabella’s red snapper dishes are usually very good but overpriced.

I’m not a huge fan, but a lot of people like Beach Street and the prices are reasonable.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

Hope we are ok, got out of town super late. Supposed to arrive at 10pm and fish 6:45am. Fingers crossed.

Who did you end up booking for fishing? I saw your post too late to offer any recs but the guys I know would have been booked already too. Good luck.

we WERE able to get it last night, but the host did say they had really stopped doing takeout...but it was early and he said he'd 'hook us up, np' good peeps
and my god the marisco enchiladas. delicioso!
pretty gloomy today, spent it on the other side. where the old folks take pictures lol 
definitely see the impact of so many big storms in the gulf this year. 

I was able to do take out tonight. It did take a few calls. if you get their recording, just call back in a few minutes. Once I ordered, food was ready in 20 min.

1 hour ago, 3adays said:

It’s last minute, but any recs for this Sunday?

Start here 

https://tejascharters.wixsite.com/tejascharters

Sundays are slow so he might be able to do something. If not he can probably find someone good. Tell him you got a rec from his friend that owns PortAfino. Josh is a good dude, great fisherman, and a fellow Longhorn. He’s also very entertaining, was a cast member at Esther’s follies back in the day.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Who did you end up booking for fishing? I saw your post too late to offer any recs but the guys I know would have been booked already too. Good luck.

Story of my life. Mac111 hooked us up, guy named shayne. Came highly recommended. Fishing in 5 hours birches.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’ve heard the fishing has been really slow, and with the storm coming near us I don’t know how it will be this weekend. I’m not a bay guy at all. 

All I can do is plan and then Mother Nature says yeah not this time. Gonna drink beer and have a great time no matter what.

14 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Staying close to you next weekend. Best bets for takeout?

I'm pretty sure most places on NPI will do takeout.

Angry Marlin is really good.  They're open for regular service and it's generally not too busy there.  Lots of well spread out tables outside and usually live music.

Scuttlebutt's is good.   Service is pretty slow lately, though.

For Mexican there's La Palma and La Isla and both are good but we usually get La Isla.

Padre Island Burger Company is pretty good too.

For Pizza there's Padre Pizzeria and Brooklyn Pie - both really good.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

I'm pretty sure most places on NPI will do takeout.

Angry Marlin is really good.  They're open for regular service and it's generally not too busy there.  Lots of well spread out tables outside and usually live music.

Scuttlebutt's is good.   Service is pretty slow lately, though.

For Mexican there's La Palma and La Isla and both are good but we usually get La Isla.

Padre Island Burger Company is pretty good too.

For Pizza there's Padre Pizzeria and Brooklyn Pie - both really good.

Really like all those places but haven’t tried either of the Mexican joints.

Are Dragonfly and Rock and Roll Sushi still open? I haven’t eaten over your way since right after Harvey.

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Really like all those places but haven’t tried either of the Mexican joints.

Are Dragonfly and Rock and Roll Sushi still open? I haven’t eaten over your way since right after Harvey.

They were the last time I drove by them.  Haven't been in awhile, though.

Oh..and I forgot Island Time for sushi - really good stuff.

Scuttlebutts has decent sushi but it's half price during happy hour which makes it taste better.

Gonna hit up the aquarium with the kids if it’s open, football tomorrow and fit in some crab fishing for crab boil. If we strike out we will stop at a market and pick up a few and some shrimp for an evening Cajun shrimp and crab boil.

No issues with surge at our park.

GOOD to know that that if you push you can get takeout.  They had a sign up saying they didn't do it anymore, but early they will likely do it.  And yes getting through on the phone line is always crazy.  We just get there early, put name on list, get beverage at Lelo's and walk over right at 5 to get seated first.  We also ate as San Juan which we usually don't go to, and I told my wife that was probably the highest risk for covid we had of late.  Allowing folks to sit wherever, and no indication of unavailable booths or tables to ensure social distancing.  Food was decent and I think that take out via there drive thru would also possibly be a decent bet.

I've had some good grub out at Black Marlin, and pretty good grub at the Red's Porch out there as well if you want to eat open air.  One place I really wish was better is the Saltwater Cowboy.  The food has always been "pretty good" but nothing noteworthy, for the price.  I's got a nice view, and it's one of those places that could just tweak things a bit and be a go to for me.  Maybe there is one secret thing that kicks ass but I haven't found it yet.

One place I have not been that seems to be a little more kid focused is MacDaddy's on Beach street along with La Playa, Lelo's and Saltwater Cowboy. Kids get free ice cream, and I imagine that their fare might also be solid takeout food.

Only thing I wish I had done was drag myself out to see Ty Deitz last Wednesday, but was just too beat.

34 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Republic of Texas is great if you want a nice dinner. I also used to like Yardarm and Vietnam but that was years ago. Don’t eat over there much anymore so that’s really all I’ve got.

I've heard Water Street Oyster Bar is pretty good.  But, then, like you, I don't go eat over in that area much.  I have had the Yardarm recommended numerous times, though.