Port Aransas

Paco

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

Ok a couple things about the trip last week I saw a couple go out to the fucking rigs last Wednesday.  It was nice with sub 10 mph winds on Tuesday and we saw two guys in Kayaks (alone dumbasses) make it out and back.  This couple had a small zodiac style boat with a small Honda either 15 or 20.  Both were geared up from head to toe and had their vests on tightly.  I took a pic of them leaving, in case they never returned.  She's up front on one side, he's on the other leaning out to try to see with the nose shooting skyward.  Stalled twice before the third Sandbar.  I moved to my binoculars to watch them bounce out, one cool thing did come of their stupidity that was cool to see.  Saw a big fucking Tarpon leap out of the water as they crossed the sandy shallow of the third bar.  I guess it could have been a 5 foot ladyfish that was thicker than shit, but I will stand by my ID.  I was down at marker 81.  

They made it back, but she was not feeling well and went out wading into the surf a while, as I am sure she felt sick enough getting the crap knocked out of her for 2-1/2 hours when she stepped back onshore.  She did NOT help put the boat back up, he was a fucking moron as the captain. What a difference a day makes!!!

Now for the interesting part.  What the fuck are these prints?  They look more like a hoof than the foot of a bird.  The one picture shows when it looks like the "heel" struck adding two more smaller indentations but reversed.  Any ideas?

Port A tracks.jpeg

Port A track Closeup.jpeg

That’s a whitetail deer print. There are quite a few of them on PINS. 

Speaking of, you who like PINS might enjoy this online history book.

http://npshistory.com/publications/pais/adhi/index.htm

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have not been to Port A in 20 years but took the family down last week and we had a blast.  The water and beaches are nicer than I remember and we loved everything about the vibe.  We stayed in Cinnamon Shores and ate 3 meals out while we were there.  It is obvious Port A is struggling like the rest of the country to get people to work.  Service at most places was just OK and the Top Deck Golf Cart guys said they can't get anyone to apply or stay on.  Our first meal was at Dylans pizza within CS and it was good pizza and salad, we got seated pretty easy but getting the pizzas was slow so order apps.  We ate at Grumbles one night and was perfect.  Order at counter and grab a table and drink while you wait.  I was expecting TGI Fridays type meals and it exceeded my expectations, good for large groups and kids.  On our second to last night we ate Isabellas in CS.  Really cool atmosphere and good menu.  At first our server was rushing us and then service after apps came to a complete halt.  Dinner took close to 2.5 hours for 4 people.  Food was good but not worth the $35+ per plate and slow service.  Vibe was lacking as well, place could be so much more.  My wife's favorite part of the trip was our nightly golf cart ride down the beach into Brons for a ToGo Pina Colada.  We will definitely go back and give Texas our money VS 30a.  Next time will try to take a guided trip based on some of the previously recommended services.

• Hook 'Em 2

I've never done the golf car rental thing because I sorta figured it was over the top touristy... but maybe will give it a go.

Growing up in Fort Lauderdale, you kinda get jaded to the whole "Touron" thing (tourist + moron) & 90% of the time when I'm traveling to touristy places my mentality is to try & blend in as best as possible (except when I'm in DC & fuckit - I'm wearing the hat one way or another).

What's the typical cost for one of those for 24 hours (or however they rent 'em out) that will seat 4?

21 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

I've never done the golf car rental thing because I sorta figured it was over the top touristy... but maybe will give it a go.

Growing up in Fort Lauderdale, you kinda get jaded to the whole "Touron" thing (tourist + moron) & 90% of the time when I'm traveling to touristy places my mentality is to try & blend in as best as possible (except when I'm in DC & fuckit - I'm wearing the hat one way or another).

What's the typical cost for one of those for 24 hours (or however they rent 'em out) that will seat 4?

I was of same mindset but a friend who went previous convinced me to do it and honestly was one of the better decisions we made and I guess depends on where you are staying.  For the ones you get in Cinnamon Shores(Top Deck and/or Sage) they are all 6 seater but can be 4 if you flip down the back seat into truck bed.  We drove it everywhere, down the beach and into Port A.  We basically never got in our car once we got to town which kept sand and wet stuff out of car.  We enjoyed the 15mph cruise on the beach while sipping a drink.  Obviously not any more legal than a car but you get the point.

Was about $145-$165/day 9am to 9am.  Digital start and gas powered.  With little ones that forget stuff at house or want to run back home to grab more booze it makes good sense.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I know a family that owns a cart rental place down there and they are shady AF, wouldn’t be surprised if they rip people off with extras somehow.  I don’t know which one it is but make sure to read the fine print and take pics of the cart if it has any damage before you pull out.  They have had false insurance claims, money stolen out of customer’s vehicles at their old business, ect ect. 

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Have never had any problem with shadiness, but our rentals have been from the place right at corner of 11th and the beach access road and the place in CS. Just don't drive in the water or do anything too stupid and they won't have shit to bitch about. 

19 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Ya we’ve rented or had one “included” in our rental house every time we’ve been down there for the last 5 years. We’ve never had an issue and like others have said it is a necessity for Port A and we absolutely love to cruise around town and on the beach.

Send me a PM with info on where you rent?

I'm done trying to arrange a group / family thing with 2 other sets of people & will just book something for our 2 adults / 2 kids.  Wanting to save the ferry trip over & back as that's lost time, so we'll be on the island.

I'm also not adverse to further S, however i have a great desire to fish off the beach or a jetty, etc.

6 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

That’s a whitetail deer print. There are quite a few of them on PINS. 

Speaking of, you who like PINS might enjoy this online history book.

http://npshistory.com/publications/pais/adhi/index.htm

My first thought was deer but if it was it was a massive big ass motherfucker.  I probably see 20 deer a day, in my neighborhood and get tracks every day or so next to my entry area pond.  But they are not near as broad or large as these were,.  I should have put something down for scale, and taken more pics., as the gait was also super long.  It  Deer is still the most likely, but since it's Port A I think it being some sort of half goat half man is not out of the question!

2 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

I'm done trying to arrange a group / family thing with 2 other sets of people & will just book something for our 2 adults / 2 kids.  Wanting to save the ferry trip over & back as that's lost time, so we'll be on the island.

I'm also not adverse to further S, however i have a great desire to fish off the beach or a jetty, etc.

Nothing really anything exclusive or hard to find. We have stayed at a different house every time depending on how many people/ dogs we have.

We have used VRBO mainly. 
https://www.lifeinparadise.com

https://portaescapes.com

3 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

https://www.silversandsvacationrentals.com/

That's where we usually stay, but we are usually there with a pretty big group of people.  It's got a great location.  You can be at the jetty in a little over 5 minutes or the beach in under a minute. It's close to downtown too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Nothing really anything exclusive or hard to find. We have stayed at a different house every time depending on how many people/ dogs we have.

We have used VRBO mainly. 
https://www.lifeinparadise.com

https://portaescapes.com

my prerequisites are see and hear the gulf, and mainly beach access.  i refuse to get in a hot car while already baking, sweaty, oily, and sandy.  have never rented a cart, and you guys are starting to make that appealing for the first time, but  i've always loved a short walk over the dunes to the beach.  my two favorites are aransas princess and mayan princess, but have also stayed at beachhead, island retreat, the dunes, sandcastle, and it seems like another one or two condo complexes i cant remember now.

18 hours ago, immamac said:

Cart in Port A is a must. Weird that it's so busy and everything is still understaffed, hopefully they figure that shit out. 

It’s a problem with no solution and it’s been a problem for years now. It’s just worse this year like everywhere. People in the service industry can’t afford to live here anymore. We are finally building a large apartment complex out on 361 where the old Harvey dump was. It will help, but we need 3 or 4 more to be built.

39 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Last time I looked at renting a golf cart, it was a couple hundred bucks per day.  That's nuts.

They are overpriced but how else do you get around unless you are staying beach front? No way in hell are we loading into one of our SUVs after day drinking at the beach all day. Also I feel a lot more comfortable drinking and driving a golf cart. We get there and never drive the car the rest of the trip.

Yeah, they can and will pull you over if you are obviously fucked up on a golf cart. That being said, it is much easier to handle a golf cart after a few drinks than a car. And it is absolutely easier to clean the golf cart than cleaning your car after every trip to the beach. I’m team golf cart.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/23/2021 at 1:28 PM, justhookit said:

Yeah that’s definitely a deer. We don’t see a lot of them on the island but there are a ton on PINS.

So, is Shorty's moving?  Or is it just closing down?

If they're closing down I want to grab my uncle's and cousin's hats before they tear it down.  It's a sentimental thing.

We're all coming up that way Wednesday around 1300 to hang out and have a few drinks to celebrate them.  And when I say, we're all, I'm going to have 20-30 people.

31 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

If they're closing down I want to grab my uncle's and cousin's hats before they tear it down.  It's a sentimental thing.

We're all coming up that way Wednesday around 1300 to hang out and have a few drinks to celebrate them.  And when I say, we're all, I'm going to have 20-30 people.

@justhookit  Meant to tag you so'd see this....

3 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

In.

they are going to try to move it.

• Like 1

I'll be there with family all next week starting on Monday staying at Port Royal. Planning on hitting up a baseball game in Corpus one night--the Hooks are in town all week. Throwing in some fishing gear--but not sure it is going to be worth the hassle. Please let me know if anyone hears of anything cool going on. 

saw something on a port a fb page i follow...said 'lost a swimmer at mile 10, please be on the lookout if you're out in the morning' 😳 yikes

ETA: looks like there were two, one was rescued...how sad

https://www.portasouthjetty.com/articles/police-still-searching-for-man-lost-in-port-aransas-surf/

Edited by mchookem