Port Aransas

Paco

12 hours ago, mchookem said:

saw something on a port a fb page i follow...said 'lost a swimmer at mile 10, please be on the lookout if you're out in the morning' 😳 yikes

ETA: looks like there were two, one was rescued...how sad

https://www.portasouthjetty.com/articles/police-still-searching-for-man-lost-in-port-aransas-surf/

It's Red Flag on NPI...assume it's the same in Port A.  Wish the tourists understood what that meant...it's NOT a just a warning on Red Flag days.

So sad when this happens.

Edited by Ag with kids

Usually it's somebody that honestly has no business being out over their waste, and doesn't really know how to swim to begin with.  OR they know how to swim and lost their footing and start drifting out in a rip tide of some sort and they panic.  You can step into a hole pretty easy, and that scares anyone for a second. The average American's body density in and of itself is a flotation device, if you can just hold your breath.  It is terrible that it happens so often.  Though I will say the rips in Port A are nothing compared to the NW coast of Florida. https://www.portasouthjetty.com/articles/police-still-searching-for-man-lost-in-port-aransas-surf/

Right now the most dangerous thing in Port A is the endless stream of dumb fucks that think the Highway is cool for their Golf Cart.   It was nice to see the 6 girls that passed a bunch of folks on the beach get pulled over later. 😉    You think I like driving fucking 20 m.p.h.?  But if everyone decides to pass on the right to go 25...   

I'll be down in 2 weeks.

Edited by horn4life

The rip tides can get really bad in Port A. I’ve been caught in one and it was scary as fuck even though I knew what was going on. The problem is 95% of the people on the beach don’t understand what is happening and they panic instead of just swimming parallel to the beach until you are out of it. Smaller kids have no chance.

There are lots of drownings here every year but most people don’t hear about them for obvious reasons.

Got into town yesterday afternoon. Hit Dylan’s Coal Oven Pizza in Cinnamon Shore last night.  Poor experience.  It’s premium priced pizza, appetizers and drinks for dining in ($150ish without tip for 5).  Seems like they are prioritizing their take out orders.  We ordered appetizers and pizzas at the same time. Appetizers came out in 5-10 minutes, no problem.  One pizza came out about 45 minutes later and the second pizza 20 minutes after that.  My adult kids are sitting around staring at their phones waiting.  Unpleasant to say the least.  Pizza is just pretty good. 

Got there late Monday and did a walk down the beach. Have never seen the water so clean/clear. Very little seaweed. And hardly a soul in sight. Neither were expected. 

Woke up Tuesday morning to about half an inch of water in the condo and more pouring in through the ceiling and coming under the baseboards. Called the front desk and they asked if I wanted a refund because they weren’t sure how to stop the flooding that was hitting multiple units. Looked at the forecast and packed up and left. Still raining there this morning.

Long drive from this far north to just turn back around. But oh well. 

• Rage+1 2

48 minutes ago, squib said:

Got there late Monday and did a walk down the beach. Have never seen the water so clean/clear. Very little seaweed. And hardly a soul in sight. Neither were expected. 

Woke up Tuesday morning to about half an inch of water in the condo and more pouring in through the ceiling and coming under the baseboards. Called the front desk and they asked if I wanted a refund because they weren’t sure how to stop the flooding that was hitting multiple units. Looked at the forecast and packed up and left. Still raining there this morning.

Long drive from this far north to just turn back around. But oh well. 

Which condos?

we left town and spent the holiday out on a ranch near Utopia. Wanted to avoid the idiots here for the 4th and also got really lucky and only got rained on once up there. Got back to town yesterday afternoon to a lake in the lot next to us. Can’t wait for the mosquitos.

3708A928-03B1-4CF8-80B0-27A035F8F21F.jpeg

Edited by justhookit

Port Royal condos. It is what it is. I guess the leak and refund saved us from having to just sit in a condo and watch the rain. All my kids will be in either high school or college next year. This was likely our last trip all together. That is a more bitter pill to swallow than losing a vacation. 

For any of y’all that might be coming here this week, the rumor is that Robert Earl Keen is going to be playing in the Virginia’s parking lot Saturday evening. I’m going to stress rumor at this point. He’s definitely playing for a billfish tournament but I’m still not sure where exactly he is setting up. If it’s in the parking lot at Virginia’s it will be easy to go out back of Shorty’s to listen. Shorty’s will also have their own band like usual on the front porch. Alternatively you could just sign up for the tournament for a few grand and get tickets.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, justhookit said:

For any of y’all that might be coming here this week, the rumor is that Robert Earl Keen is going to be playing in the Virginia’s parking lot Saturday evening. I’m going to stress rumor at this point. He’s definitely playing for a billfish tournament but I’m still not sure where exactly he is setting up. If it’s in the parking lot at Virginia’s it will be easy to go out back of Shorty’s to listen. Shorty’s will also have their own band like usual on the front porch. Alternatively you could just sign up for the tournament for a few grand and get tickets.

I'll be in town starting Thursday though mid week.  I went to see Keen's Christmas show to close out 2019 before the Pandemic, so this would awesome!

Only way I am getting to get involved in the tourney is as deck hand... 😉. I also saw that Ruben V was playing the Back Porch Friday and Gary P Nunn Saturday.  So good music this weekend if I can stay off the beach from dawn to dusk. 

I saw the island got nearly a foot of rain the last week, and I am definitely going to go and get some more bug spray.  While the wind laying down is good for the fishing, the wind is also the only thing that keeps the critters from devouring you during dusk and pre-dawn especially.  Gonna try a new fishing technique I have not used before called a pulley rig that looks interesting to me.  Can't wait to get down there, especially Sunday onward when folks clear out a bit between weekends.

Just got here today,
The boy is super excited about going fishing tomorrow on the Scat Cat and I can’t wait for dinner at LaPlaya.
Wife wants to go to the Crazy Cajun one night as well, any good?

She wanted bbq for lunch so we we went to MacDaddy’s. Vomit.

Kiddo is super happy today.
70f1a82f39b47de0d9abb885bf27b7d8.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Just got here today,
The boy is super excited about going fishing tomorrow on the Scat Cat and I can’t wait for dinner at LaPlaya.
Wife wants to go to the Crazy Cajun one night as well, any good?

She wanted bbq for lunch so we we went to MacDaddy’s. Vomit.

Kiddo is super happy today.
70f1a82f39b47de0d9abb885bf27b7d8.jpg

I wouldn’t call Crazy Cajun very good by any means, but it’s fine for what it is- family style crawfish boil. If all your wife wants is a boil then I think the shrimp one at Virginia’s is much better, just be prepared to get there early. Their wait times this summer for dinner have been 30 minutes to 3 hours.

On 7/11/2021 at 10:29 PM, justhookit said:

Well....shit.

And I'm stuck down here in Port Mansfield/Harlingen for the next 2 weeks working.

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

That’s some good fishin and good eatin.   I had the same experience one time.  Went out with a buddy on his boat to a spot on his GPS they called “grocery store”.  Limited out in half an hour. 

Yeah...my buddy has a spot out there too.  Went on a "friends charter" - just paid gas and tipped his deck hand (who is a good guy).

We dropped the lines and BAM just hauled them up.  Actually got 2 on one hook...fish are stupid.

But, they're also quite tasty.

• Hook 'Em 2

Snapper went from overfished - and they were - to underfished quickly. This is what happens when you put a federal person in charge of what should be a state managed resource. 5 years ago we would stop and try to get grouper on the way in from marlin fishing and you could put a 12 inch 2 pound bait and never get close to the bottom because the snapper would be all over it.

Nice trip Big D!  I would MUCH, MUCH rather go to La Playa twice than go to the Crazy Cajun.  

Heading down in the AM, and the beach looks like it's gonna be nice the next week so goody for me!!!  La Playa Thursday night then hopefully cooking up a little on the grill rather than fight the lines for dining.  

Any update on the Robert Earl Keen Rumor?  And with the Pachanga based out of Virginia's does that make it impossible to get my smoked tuna dip? Wondering if my get on the list the go to Shorty's for a couple drinks is still a good option.  Or does the tournament just dominate the parking lot to where it's not worth it?

Last fucking time ever I let the wife choose the restaurant.
Even after me saying several people said don’t go to Crazy Cajun, that is where we ended up.
What a mistake. Who the fuck doesn’t de-turd shrimp? Fucking disgusting.
Rest of the boil was bland as fuck.
Tiny ass crab legs too.

• Haha 2

On 7/14/2021 at 6:21 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Even after me saying several people said don’t go to Crazy Cajun, that is where we ended up.
Tiny ass crab legs too.

Yep sorry....

Windy AF today, and looks like Virginia's parking lot is shut off, when I drove by this morning.  So... If Robert Earl Keen is playing there, the sound is most certainly going to bleed over.  Think I am going to see at 11 if Virginia's is open or not during this event.  I figure at 11 AM maybe I can get in without a long wait.  I also think we may have figured a way to manage the wait at La Playa.  There is always a full house bum rush at 5 pm.  But after that folks walk in and say "fuck it" without putting their name on the list.  Think next time we are going to just wait until after 5, but our name on the last and just come back around 6.  On a THURSDAY that is... 

Yep sorry....
Windy AF today, and looks like Virginia's parking lot is shut off, when I drove by this morning.  So... If Robert Earl Keen is playing there, the sound is most certainly going to bleed over.  Think I am going to see at 11 if Virginia's is open or not during this event.  I figure at 11 AM maybe I can get in without a long wait.  I also think we may have figured a way to manage the wait at La Playa.  There is always a full house bum rush at 5 pm.  But after that folks walk in and say "fuck it" without putting their name on the list.  Think next time we are going to just wait until after 5, but our name on the last and just come back around 6.  On a THURSDAY that is... 

We got to LaPlaya at 4:30 and got our name on the list and had no problem getting a table at 5

Tiny ass crab legs too.

Be a man. Eat the goddam shrimp. It’ll turn you into a goddam sexual Tyrannosaurus…just like me. 

Ok, can’t hold me to this but Robert Earl Keen seems to be on tomorrow night in the Virginia’s parking lot. No idea what that acoustics will be like but they’ve set out a bunch of picnic tables in the back of Shorty’s. Shorty’s also has a band but they will take a long break when REK plays. The Bernie’s patio in back would also be a good place to listen.

17 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

My brother went out on a charter for snapper today.  After they caught 9, the found themselves bailing water out of the boat, calling the Coast Guard declaring an emergency, putting on life preservers.  

They made it back, but Holy Crap!

Was this a little before noon yesterday? We walked into Virgina's at 11 for Lunch and saw the Coast Guard hauling ass out of the harbor about 30-40 minutes later.  I figured it was a missing swimmer, but might have been your bro and co.

I think we are gonna hit Shorty's but that 9 pm start time might be a stretch with my 5:20 rise this AM.  Gonna try to make it, but it may be too large a zoo.

Well the show did happen and it was one of the best nights in “downtown” Port A I can remember. They ended up blocking off the entire Virginia’s and Fisherman’s Wharf parking lots. It was the most crowded I’ve ever seen the bars down there and a bunch of tourists got quite an unexpected concert.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 7/13/2021 at 11:02 PM, justhookit said:

This is what happens when you put a federal person in charge of what should be a state managed resource.

Yep, because fish definitely recognize the territorial waters between Louisiana & Texas & the State of Texas can always manage the offshore boundaries with Mexico.

I.E. "I disagree with you".

Tiny ass crab legs too.

"Wives & the Stupid Shit", etc.

12 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Yep, because fish definitely recognize the territorial waters between Louisiana & Texas & the State of Texas can always manage the offshore boundaries with Mexico.

I.E. "I disagree with you".

We were talking about red snapper, which do not migrate and live their whole lives within a few miles of where they are born. It’s a state issue. This isn’t even a discussion. Pelagic species are and should be managed at the federal level and really can and do receive international support.

• Like 1

got stuck on the island sunday night. had a late dinner at snoopys and was heading back to the mainland about 10pm only to find 358 closed before the bridge over oso bay due to a fatality accident. all traffic leaving the island was redirected down to yorkstown blvd. 2 hours later we were across oso bay. 

6 hours ago, stc said:

got stuck on the island sunday night. had a late dinner at snoopys and was heading back to the mainland about 10pm only to find 358 closed before the bridge over oso bay due to a fatality accident. all traffic leaving the island was redirected down to yorkstown blvd. 2 hours later we were across oso bay. 

Traffic is effing nuts down here. Friend of mine left Sunday and it took him 5.5 hours to get to San Antonio. I told him not to come down on the weekend but he didn’t listen.

• 2 weeks later...