Port Aransas

Paco

4 hours ago, NoName said:

rest of the places we went:

• La Playa was fantastic, THANK YOU for the rec
  • shrimp from Pauls
  • breakfast tacos from Cancun
  • coffee waves
  • Coach's was badass and i hoped to go back but it didn't work. guess they are moving too whenever Shorty's moves?

You did pretty good. We have company coming in town today and will pretty much hit all the spots you did but add in Venetian for dinner tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/13/2022 at 12:34 PM, justhookit said:

You did pretty good. We have company coming in town today and will pretty much hit all the spots you did but add in Venetian for dinner tonight.

awesome. figured with an infant it would be best to skip super nice spot haha

• 3 weeks later...

Bought 1.5 lbs of 16-20 shrimp from Paul’s for my group to pair with 6 Prime ribeyes I had bought on markdown from H-E-B before I got to town.  Absolutely incredible shrimp.  

weather is great, the place we’re staying at is pretty cool and very relaxing. The 7 mo old liked the beach a whole lot more than the 20 mo old on the first try.   We’ll see if hat tomorrow brings 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/3/2022 at 8:09 PM, Trey3216 said:

Bought 1.5 lbs of 16-20 shrimp from Paul’s for my group to pair with 6 Prime ribeyes I had bought on markdown from H-E-B before I got to town.  Absolutely incredible shrimp.  

weather is great, the place we’re staying at is pretty cool and very relaxing. The 7 mo old liked the beach a whole lot more than the 20 mo old on the first try.   We’ll see if hat tomorrow brings 

where are you staying?

7 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

where are you staying?

We stayed in a condo in the Pirate's Bay community.  Wasn't Surly 1%, but it was super convenient, clean and nice.  They had 2 pools, 1 which was 15 feet from the back patio of our condo.  Made it pretty easy to get the kiddos on the beach from 9:30-1ish, then do the pool in the afternoon.  They had both gas and charcoal grills provided, and I didn't even need to bring my own grill tools.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

We stayed in a condo in the Pirate's Bay community.  Wasn't Surly 1%, but it was super convenient, clean and nice.  They had 2 pools, 1 which was 15 feet from the back patio of our condo.  Made it pretty easy to get the kiddos on the beach from 9:30-1ish, then do the pool in the afternoon.  They had both gas and charcoal grills provided, and I didn't even need to bring my own grill tools.  

is there a boardwalk to the beach over the dunes?   one of my prerequisites is walk to the beach, and i dont mean down the street either.  must be on the beach.  there are some dumpy, or at least not so nice, places that fit that bill, and some ultra posh ones too.  i've probably stayed at 10 different places down there.

6 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

is there a boardwalk to the beach over the dunes?   one of my prerequisites is walk to the beach, and i dont mean down the street either.  must be on the beach.  there are some dumpy, or at least not so nice, places that fit that bill, and some ultra posh ones too.  i've probably stayed at 10 different places down there.

No.  It was a drive to the beach spot, which I was more than ok with since we had 3 kids with us under 2 years  old.   

3 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

What happened to Beach and Station Street?

Last year we went and they were a complete mess. The daughter was crying saying her mom left her there and she was a cunt. They were missing about 2/3 of the menu and people said they had been waiting for 2 hours. We got up and left.

3 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Last year we went and they were a complete mess. The daughter was crying saying her mom left her there and she was a cunt. They were missing about 2/3 of the menu and people said they had been waiting for 2 hours. We got up and left.

Yeah, all that was missing is the owner smoking cigarettes and getting wasted in front of the front door. Was just shocked to see it gone. 

3 hours ago, LebongJames said:

lol my family had about the same experience...but it was like five years ago 😆 apparently that place really can't consistently get their shit together.

Gonna plug Bron’s Backyard on Avenue G across the street from Port A Pizzeria. What started as a golf cart rental and snow cone business now has food and a wine/beer bar. Live music a few nights a week and a ton of outdoor games. If you’ve got young kids it’s a great place to go hang out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, justhookit said:

Gonna plug Bron’s Backyard on Avenue G across the street from Port A Pizzeria. What started as a golf cart rental and snow cone business now has food and a wine/beer bar. Live music a few nights a week and a ton of outdoor games. If you’ve got young kids it’s a great place to go hang out. 

Stopped in there for a few minutes when we were down there.  Pretty cool setup they have.  Would be the chef's kiss if they also had ice cream.   

21 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Ate lunch at Grumbles, it was decent.  I thought I was told earlier in this thread Bernie’s was gone already?  Open sign was flashing at 11:30 am lol. 

Bernie’s still has some time left on their lease. Not sure exactly when they will be moving. Shorty’s is moving at the end of November.

22 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Got here around noon today.
Water is surprisingly not too brown.
1fc631f793004bff32af7c13306e4705.jpg
Hitting Fins for dinner,
Private charter on the Let It Ride tomorrow on a 6 hr trip,
La Playa for dinner on Wednesday,
Head home Friday.
Should be an awesome week.

That's browner than it was 2 weeks ago.  I was shocked at how Blue/Green the water was.  Nicest I've ever seen it to be honest.  

4 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

The boy had a blast on the fishing trip and we hauled about 80 lbs of Blackfin and Snapper out.
dba343c32030ff1f759d98a70f653203.jpg
About 30 lbs of tuna steaks and 15 lbs of snapper filets at the end of the day.
e1e2ccab1eb180cae4fe49f075e01da8.jpg
bdeea06582104e9b39359cbd6aa7f9c1.jpg

That’s surprising on the black fin. Private charter? Never mind just saw you were on Let It Ride. Good peeps.

• Like 1

That’s surprising on the black fin. Private charter? Never mind just saw you were on Let It Ride. Good peeps.

Yea those dudes were awesome.
After reeling in 6 of the 8 snappers and 2 of the Blackfins, I was fucking beat.
Had an assist for 3/4 of the last tuna.
My arms are fucking jello.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Grumbles was meh. Really pumped for La Playa tomorrow night

Grumbles is nothing if not meh. Great location though and their shrimp tacos are good. Basically it’s yet another overpriced restaurant on the island. Go to Fins for that kind of food and it will be better.

im not a huge fan of La playa but love their fajitas and margaritas. Have fun.

10 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

The boy had a blast on the fishing trip and we hauled about 80 lbs of Blackfin and Snapper out.
dba343c32030ff1f759d98a70f653203.jpg
About 30 lbs of tuna steaks and 15 lbs of snapper filets at the end of the day.
e1e2ccab1eb180cae4fe49f075e01da8.jpg
bdeea06582104e9b39359cbd6aa7f9c1.jpg

Need to quote this again because this time of year you will not typically catch blackfin tuna, or any tuna unless you do an overnight charter 100 miles out. That was a badass 6 hour trip.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Grumbles is nothing if not meh. Great location though and their shrimp tacos are good. Basically it’s yet another overpriced restaurant on the island. Go to Fins for that kind of food and it will be better.
im not a huge fan of La playa but love their fajitas and margaritas. Have fun.

We loved Fins. Guess Grumbles had an off night. Had an oyster po boy and the oysters were super salty and their catch of the day was a blackened redfish that was just under spiced.
Will give them another go.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

We loved Fins. Guess Grumbles had an off night. Had an oyster po boy and the oysters were super salty and their catch of the day was a blackened redfish that was just under spiced.
Will give them another go.

There are 30 other options I would try before going back to Grumbles. You were correct, it’s  meh. With a view.

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

There are 30 other options I would try before going back to Grumbles. You were correct, it’s  meh. With a view.

It's easy if you're taking kids under 5 years old.  Good enough.  But not a go back multiple times type of place.  So yes, meh.  

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Did y’all just say I’m from the internet?
emoji23.png

Almost. He had a Texas visor on and we just started talking football recruiting and realized we had mutual friends. Surly came up somehow and he was able to guess my username right away. I guess that’s the downside of being the only one of us that lives in PortA.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Tomorrow I get @MissingInAction for the weekend at my house. Wouldn’t let him stay here but he’s got a cool dog that I refuse to leave homeless. After that I’m good for a few weeks. Leave the 25th for Costa Rica for about 6 weeks but even there it looks like there is going to be at least one guy from surly there while I am. You can run but can’t hide from this website.

17 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Tomorrow I get @MissingInAction for the weekend at my house. Wouldn’t let him stay here but he’s got a cool dog that I refuse to leave homeless. After that I’m good for a few weeks. Leave the 25th for Costa Rica for about 6 weeks but even there it looks like there is going to be at least one guy from surly there while I am. You can run but can’t hide from this website.

Can't wait for cold beers at Shortys and day camping on the beach. Hope nothing bites me on my pinky toe again.

Grumbles is an absolute rip off. I paid $25 for a catfish plate that consisted of three fish planks that looked like they came out of a Gordon's box, a tiny side of Cole slaw in a cup used for ketchup, and soggy ass fries.

F grumbles.

Virginia's on the other hand had some of the best shrimp scampy I've ever had.

The Gaff serves a great pizza as well.

20 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Can't wait for cold beers at Shortys and day camping on the beach. Hope nothing bites me on my pinky toe again.

Grumbles is an absolute rip off. I paid $25 for a catfish plate that consisted of three fish planks that looked like they came out of a Gordon's box, a tiny side of Cole slaw in a cup used for ketchup, and soggy ass fries.

F grumbles.

Virginia's on the other hand had some of the best shrimp scampy I've ever had.

The Gaff serves a great pizza as well.

The Gaff pizza is the tits...

Is it the Gaff that uses those old ass toaster ovens? It's been years since I've gotten pizza from there. 

Headed down soon. Bay fishing with Tejas Charter. I'm jonesing. My mind is already in vacay mode. 

8 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Back in the 80s, we were at Port A and beach was crowded as fuck. My uncle was lounging and drinking in a chair, took a drag on his cig and said "I'm goin' fishing." Got his surf rod from the truck and walked out chest deep in the water and cast right between some people.  A few seconds later, he had a 4' shark.  I thought it was pretty typical of him to think to grab his fishing gear instead of telling people to get out of the water because he spotted a shark.  FYI, he's the dad of my cousin in that "family member you're most embarrassed of" thread.

3 hours ago, dmtx said:

Is it the Gaff that uses those old ass toaster ovens? It's been years since I've gotten pizza from there. 

Headed down soon. Bay fishing with Tejas Charter. I'm jonesing. My mind is already in vacay mode. 

Yes that’s the Gaff. Pizzas are still pretty decent. Have fun fishing with Josh.

Edited by justhookit