Port Aransas

Paco

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would put up the bookend Sun rise to your sunset MIA if that Was the Saturday we crushed OU!  About to shoot back down tomorrow, and try to catch a low wind day in the surf.  Will probably actually go to Shorty's this go round since I am solo. But looks like it's gonna get windy as shit so may just boomerang back to Austin if the fish stop biting. Missed the pig party due to a combination of the Sunrise below, jack Daniels, and the slaughter of the Dirt Burglers.

sunrise image oct 9 2022.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

• 3 weeks later...

first time to be here in (early) November and will not be the last.

went to Fins last night, again super solid - expensive for what it is but that's what happens in a tourist town.

in case anyone is curious, if you aren't going to Coach's for breakfast, you are missing out. really enjoy that place.

Coach was talking about the new place - anyone know where it's going to actually be? i meant to ask but was caught up chatting w/ waitress on way out.

Edited by NoName

1 hour ago, NoName said:

first time to be here in (early) November and will not be the last.

went to Fins last night, again super solid - expensive for what it is but that's what happens in a tourist town.

in case anyone is curious, if you aren't going to Coach's for breakfast, you are missing out. really enjoy that place.

Coach was talking about the new place - anyone know where it's going to actually be? i meant to ask but was caught up chatting w/ waitress on way out.

October is even better weather wise but yeah late September thru mid November is by far the best time to be here. Almost always great weather and it’s not too crowded.

Im with you on Fins and Coaches. The new location is on Allister just a few blocks away. If you go south on Allister from his old location it’s about 2 blocks down on the right just before you get to Tortugas. It’s where the old Board House used to be.

Theres some fun stuff going on today at Robert’s Point park for Port A days. Chili Cook off all day, music starting at 6 and the anything that floats but a boat “parade” at 2.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

My buddy now tells me that he does go to Grumbles and says they have a stout Pińa Colada, but too sweet and heavy for my taste.  I guess one day I will break down and walk in, but right now they are still on my fuck the takeover list.  My "go to" is still La Playa for Fajitas or Fish Specials, Virgina's for Smoked tuna dip, and fish Sandwisch, Kody's for Garlic Fish and a decent drink away from the crowds (other food is solid too), with a splash of Lelo's tossed in for their burgers and Hummus plate.

I really wish I liked the Blue Water Cowboy more, maybe I will give them another shot just to for the upper deck view.  There is other good food on the island for sure, but that's a great short list.  Red's Patio Bar at the Golf course is decent as well and usually not crowded.  

have fun as give us a report!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 7:23 PM, Teebox said:

So how is the new Shorty's post-move?  Headed to Port A for the first time since last summer and wanting to check it out.

On 1/17/2023 at 8:23 PM, LebongJames said:

I don’t believe it has opened.

It hasn’t even moved yet. I’m out of town but last I heard it might move Sunday or Monday. I wouldn’t expect it to open before at least spring break and my guess is that it won’t open until Memorial Day.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2023 at 8:04 AM, Teebox said:

I saw a notice in the South Jetty that the physical move is happening this weekend. And who knows about opening.  

They moved part of it earlier this week.  They moved the main building yesterday.  I didn't head that way (they're cluster fucking the Commodores/PR22 right now) but I did have several friends that went that way to watch them move it....

Edited by Ag with kids

• 1 month later...

My family and another are heading down to Port A this weekend for SB.  We have 7 kids between the 2 families, the oldest being 11 and the youngest 3.  We have a VRBO a few minutes from the beach.  We're only down there for 3 days/3 nights, so not a ton of time to hit everything, but this is what I have planned and I want you all to tell me why this itinerary is a bad idea and how I can improve it.

Day 1

4pm-Arrive at house

4:01-Start drinking heavily

Dinner-Seafood place capable of handling 11 (need suggestions here)

Day 2

Breakfast-cook at house

Late morning/early afternoon-Beach

Dinner-La Playa

6pm-Sunset dolphin boat ride

Day 3

Breakfast-???

Morning-Texas State Aquarium

Lunch-??? (Somewhere in CC.  I always dug the vibe of the Whataburger on the water south of downtown)

Afternoon-Lexington

Dinner-Grill at house

Day 4

Drive home, hit Shiner Brewery tour on the way out

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Assman said:

My family and another are heading down to Port A this weekend for SB.  We have 7 kids between the 2 families, the oldest being 11 and the youngest 3.  We have a VRBO a few minutes from the beach.  We're only down there for 3 days/3 nights, so not a ton of time to hit everything, but this is what I have planned and I want you all to tell me why this itinerary is a bad idea and how I can improve it.

Day 1

4pm-Arrive at house

Day 2

Breakfast-cook at house

Dinner-La Playa

Day 3

Breakfast-???

Lunch-??? (Somewhere in CC.  I always dug the vibe of the Whataburger on the water south of downtown)

Afternoon-Lexington

Dinner-Grill at house

Day 4

I've been gone a long time, but Pier 99 and Blackbeards have been fixtures on North Beach for forever.  If you don't feel like crossing the bridge multiple times to get back and forth to the Whataburger, those could be possible lunch option before doing the Lex.  

9 hours ago, Assman said:

Day 1

4pm-Arrive at house

Day 2

Breakfast-cook at house

Dinner-La Playa

Day 3

Breakfast-???

Afternoon-Lexington

Dinner-Grill at house

Day 4

seafood place handling 11 - Fins is good and is what has been recommended here in the past. Been there 2x now and had a really solid meal both times. Should pretty easily be able to handle 11 even if they are at 2 tables side by side

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Assman said:

Day 1

4pm-Arrive at house

Day 2

Breakfast-cook at house

Dinner-La Playa

Day 3

Breakfast-???

Afternoon-Lexington

Dinner-Grill at house

Day 4

If you have everything listed in the proper order, there is no way you will be able to do dinner at La Playa (it doesn’t open until 5) and then make a 6 p.m. dolphin watch tour. Also, in general the restaurants are going to be clusterfucks. Go as early as you can to them.

Kody’s is another place that can handle 11. So can Crazy Cajun, but it sucks.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Assman said:

Day 1

4pm-Arrive at house

Day 2

Breakfast-cook at house

Dinner-La Playa

Day 3

Breakfast-???

Afternoon-Lexington

Dinner-Grill at house

Day 4

First off the best place to handle a party of 11 is Kody's.  Good quality level of food, and you order at counter so it's easy peasy dividing up the bill.  Kids... you could get another couple drinks in by letting them play putt putt. Pro-hint- order the garlic fish.

Every single one of your days is completely fucked up however!  The first item on each day should read, woke up before dawn and wet my first line as the sun began to peek out of the darkness.  Followed by pictures of sunrise and then fish pics. 😉 

As stated La Playa is gonna be sort of a clusterfuck with 11.  Volunteer to break the group into two tables to have a chance of getting a seat.  And on day two you are NOT going to go to La Playa, and then catch the dolphin watch period. Simply not enough time.  Honestly you will get to see porpoise on the ferry ride.  You could also go out and see them ride and jump in the waves of most any of the large boats that come up the channel.  And thats free!  With your group you might also be able to get on the wait list for Virginias, remotely (another pro-tip) via yelp.  Lelo's is also solid food, nest to La Playa, with a kids area.  

I would probably skip going to corpus at all, but if you are going to go you will likely NOT opt for the ferry.  But the one way to have an absolute W on the board is to make damn sure you make sure to stop at Black Diamond Oyster Bar by the naval air station!  I would do lunch on the way back.  Pro-Tip- substitute salad with 1000 island for french fries.  You also could consider going to Snoopy's on the bay, they have Scoopy's ice cream right there as well.  This would also be a good place to accommodate your larger group with counter ordering.

One thing that I always loved to do when the kids were in your age slot was go to Fisherman's Wharf and watch the catch being off loaded.  Usually around 5 pm.  If you are lucky one of the mulit-day tuna trips will come in and the kids can really see some stuff.  While I am in a mental protest with the invader that is Grumbles, my buddy loves their pina colada as it has the punch of a good margarita so he says.  It also would be a way to get a drink waiting for the party boats to come in.  Another thing we used to do when the kids were younger was go walk the packery channel jetty.  It's level, and has rails so relatively safe. But a near guarantee of seeing sea turtles, on any jetty walk. 

----------------------------

Here is are my general thoughts.  Get out to the beach as early as you can.  That way you guys can have a decent time on the beach before the college kids get up and light their hair on fire again.  Or you can slap on your mirror ray sunglasses, and watch the shit show, later explaining what beer bongs are to the kids.  The other thing good about getting the kids out early on the beach is a strong chance that they (and drinking dad) may get an afternoon nap.  For big groups like this we nearly always make some breakfast casserole that requires little morning prep, and reheats fantastically for later risers, and late night nibbles.  I have never been during spring break, likely never will, nor memorial day, labor day, nor July 4th.  Basically the earlier you get out and do shit the fewer a-holes you have to deal with.  If you are on the beach at 10 am, you are likely gone by 1 or 2.  Make sure at have some sort of shelter for sun protection if you are lucky.  Going out to dinner with as large a group as you have may be the most stressful part of your trip in all honestly.  Especially if you are trying to eat anytime after 5 pm, the crowds will be crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Assman said:

OK we'll probably have to nix La Playa or move it to another day.

Best bars for me and my buddy to sneak away to once the kids are in bed?

Salty Dog. Gaff for beer and pizza. Bernie’s for the younger spring break crowd.

My usual answer would be Shorty’s but it’s still closed for their move and remodel.

Edited by justhookit

Port A visitors and residents woke up Saturday to an unpleasant surprise.  Problems at the source put the entire city without natural gas. Thus, no gas central heat, hot showers or cooking except where an electric alternative existed.  Most restaurants were closed.  Taqueria San Juan's parking lot was empty when we left around noon yesterday.

The supply has been restored, but all the meters have to be shut off before the lines can be pressured back up.  They are projecting a return to normal by this afternoon.

The city manager might be lucky he's not in Austin.  If so, he might lose his job.

Home - City of Port Aransas

Edited by abuelo gringo

15 hours ago, abuelo gringo said:

Port A visitors and residents woke up Saturday to an unpleasant surprise.  Problems at the source put the entire city without natural gas. Thus, no gas central heat, hot showers or cooking except where an electric alternative existed.  Most restaurants were closed.  Taqueria San Juan's parking lot was empty when we left around noon yesterday.

The supply has been restored, but all the meters have to be shut off before the lines can be pressured back up.  They are projecting a return to normal by this afternoon.

The city manager might be lucky he's not in Austin.  If so, he might lose his job.

Home - City of Port Aransas

They still don’t have it restored. Clusterfuck of epic proportions which spring break is anyway. So glad I’m not at home.

Edited by justhookit

Those are 2 different fish. First picture was 2 years ago caught by friends of mine and is the state record. Second and third pictures are from a fish caught last week on a party boat out of dolphin docks. While still a massive tuna it was 200 pounds less than the state record.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Those are 2 different fish. First picture was 2 years ago caught by friends of mine and is the state record. Second and third pictures are from a fish caught last week on a party boat out of dolphin docks. While still a massive tuna it was 200 pounds less than the state record.

how long did it take to to pull in that monster? holy cow 876 lbs

14 minutes ago, NoName said:

how long did it take to to pull in that monster? holy cow 876 lbs

They fought it for 8 hours or so. Normally wouldn’t take nearly that long because they are targeting bluefin on really heavy tackle, but that one died on the line deep down. When that happens it’s a bitch to get them in.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, justhookit said:

They fought it for 8 hours or so. Normally wouldn’t take nearly that long because they are targeting bluefin on really heavy tackle, but that one died on the line deep down. When that happens it’s a bitch to get them in.

Oh shit. I never even thought about that.  Reeling in 876 pounds of dead weight probably is a complete bitch.  Sort of like the old bucket on a line trick... but with 4 trashcans on the line, and in a good current...  I can only imagine the lactic acid buildup for every angler involved.

I'm hoping for a quick Port A trip mid week trip if the weather will agree around the April new moon. AFTER Sand Fest is over! 

23 hours ago, justhookit said:

Are bluefin here just a random once in a blue moon thing or can you actually go fishing for them here?

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Are bluefin here just a random once in a blue moon thing or can you actually go fishing for them here?

You can target them in April and May. They are here spawning. But the quota is only 6 or so fish per year so unless you catch one of the first ones you have to let them go. They are fishing for them 100+ miles out.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Hate said:

The last few years I’ve been in October it hasn’t been less crowded at all. You still have to get to the beach by 8 AM to get a good spot

Yeah covid really fucked up October.  Folks were flexible with their kids and they found out how nice October is to enjoy the still warm surf, and have potentially great fishing just sitting on the beach in the right spot.  The good news however is that the kids are now really back in school and more importantly participating in sports.  You see sports commitments on the weekends is what keeps most parents from extensive travel once the school year gets going again.

I noticed a definite drop off this Fall from the prior Fall.  More folks overall than pre-covid, but that may be a function of just more folks heading to the coast. 

• Like 1