Port Aransas

Paco

I haven’t tried that yet but I need to. After living in Port A so long it’s a struggle for me to get up the interest to go past the stoplight 1/2 mile from my house. Burger Comapny and Scutllebutts we will still hit if we are passing by. @Ag with kidsDragonfly still around? Used to love that place but haven’t been since Harvey.

9 hours ago, texasdago said:

Going to say Costa Sur in NP was quite good

It is GREAT food.  I highly recommend it.  I was just listing places with outdoor seating.

9 hours ago, justhookit said:

I haven’t tried that yet but I need to. After living in Port A so long it’s a struggle for me to get up the interest to go past the stoplight 1/2 mile from my house. Burger Comapny and Scutllebutts we will still hit if we are passing by. @Ag with kidsDragonfly still around? Used to love that place but haven’t been since Harvey.

Haha...I understand completely.  There is NOTHING on NPI that is further than 4 min from my house and...eh...I got food at home.  Not food THAT good, but...I'm comfortable here.

And the dragonfly WAS open last time I checked.  But, since they've been putting in the bridge on PR22 and the construction nightmare there, I rarely drive that way anymore.

NOTE for others:  This is a DIFFERENT construction than I mentioned earlier.  It's between Commodores/361 and Whitecap.

6 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Ok...so I left for vacation on 12/17 and just got home this afternoon...and they STILL don't look like they've done a fucking thing on the ICW bridge.  WTF!!!!

Yeah I drove across last week. Other than the blocked lanes I’m pretty sure nothing has happened. At this point I’m pretty sure they will just shut the whole thing down in time for spring break.12 hour ferry waits here we come.

15 hours ago, justhookit said:

Yeah I drove across last week. Other than the blocked lanes I’m pretty sure nothing has happened. At this point I’m pretty sure they will just shut the whole thing down in time for spring break.12 hour ferry waits here we come.

It's scheduled to be 1 lane until Memorial Day weekend...then open until Dec 2022, then closed again until May 2023.

16 hours ago, justhookit said:

They are supposedly inspecting the underside of the bridge. 

9 hours ago, zman13 said:

They are supposedly inspecting the underside of the bridge. 

7 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Makes sense that they blocked off 2 lanes on the TOP of of the bridge to do that...

FWIW, the two OPEN lanes are on the outside lanes of the bridge.  It's the center of the bridge that is blocked off.

That would be the best thing ever to know. I need to ask around. They are as shit aren’t doing anything up top yet that I’ve seen besides diverting traffic

2 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

How long till Shorty's goes?  Or is it gone already?  I knew they wiped out Giggity's...

This probably will be Shorty’s last summer at its current location. When they are forced to close the owner says they will move the building somewhere on Allister.

On 1/9/2022 at 3:55 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

We should just make this the Coastal Bend thread.

Steer Burger in Rockport and Pier 77 in Fulton are very good.

I know right? I think we are all good including Rockport, Fulton, and for the aggy NPI. I’m going to draw the line at Port O’Connor. F those people.

• Like 2

Moondog in Rockport is also good.  In general, there are a lot better food options in Port A though.  I think the number of snow birds in Rockport means there are a whole bunch of places that serve bland food there.

Edited by kevwun

Moondog in Rockport is also good.  In general, there are a lot better food options in Port A though.  I think the number of snow birds in Rockport means there are a whole bunch of places that serve bland food there.

I grew up visiting Fulton. My grandparents had a house there and now my parents have one. They have tried a lot of the new places. I think Moondog got blacklisted by my dad. Paradise key is on all of our shit lists. Unfortunately the cheesesteak place closed. That was a good cheesesteak. Charlotte Plummers isn’t what it used to be, but we still go for nostalgia sake. What I am surprised by is the lack of a really good Vietnamese place. Maybe there is one that I don’t know of. The Jalisco taco truck is good.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

My opinion but Moondog is probably some of the worst food in Rockport…. It fell off a few years back.  Pier 44 is good and Paradise Key never disappoints.  

My opinion but Moondog is probably some of the worst food in Rockport…. It fell off a few years back.  Pier 44 is good and Paradise Key never disappoints.  

Pier 77? If so, totally agree. However, I won’t go back to Paradise Key. Last time I went was just awful.

Also, Pan Jo’s pizza isn’t the worst pizza in the world.

19 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Pier 77? If so, totally agree. However, I won’t go back to Paradise Key. Last time I went was just awful.

Also, Pan Jo’s pizza isn’t the worst pizza in the world.

Yea that lol.  The owners of NGO opened that.  Crazy they had both set on fire right after they opened Pier 77. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I grew up visiting Fulton. My grandparents had a house there and now my parents have one. They have tried a lot of the new places. I think Moondog got blacklisted by my dad. Paradise key is on all of our shit lists. Unfortunately the cheesesteak place closed. That was a good cheesesteak. Charlotte Plummers isn’t what it used to be, but we still go for nostalgia sake. What I am surprised by is the lack of a really good Vietnamese place. Maybe there is one that I don’t know of. The Jalisco taco truck is good.

Um, there used to be an aggy family in Fulton with a pretty good menu and very good food but they are gone I believe …….. Charlottes hasn’t been good since about 1984.

Um, there used to be an aggy family in Fulton with a pretty good menu and very good food but they are gone I believe …….. Charlottes hasn’t been good since about 1984.

Well yeah, and now they have Bench Warmers.

Charlotte Plummer went downhill after they got rid of the cool place mats with all the different fish found in the Gulf.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well yeah, and now they have Bench Warmers.

Charlotte Plummer went downhill after they got rid of the cool place mats with all the different fish found in the Gulf.

Bench Warmers is eh ok at best.   Who Dat menu definitely fell off big time since Warmers opened up, NGO fried rice was so much better.  

• 3 months later...
On 7/19/2019 at 4:08 PM, kevwun said:

Had to look it up.  It's Paul's Seafood Market.  We used to go to Port A Crabs, but they got wiped out by Harvey.  There's a lot more commercial fishing around Galvestion, so it will never be able to compare.

still a solid rec for fresh seafood? anywhere else good/better?

35 minutes ago, NoName said:

still a solid rec for fresh seafood? anywhere else good/better?

I live on NPI and Paul's (both in Port A and on the Bluff) are where pretty much all the locals I know go...

I don't know if the Polly Anna is still there in the Port A marina, but it was great for fresh shrimp.  They would go out overnight and have FRESH shrimp the next morning and it was priced GREAT!  But, IIRC they were in the marina during Harvey so not sure how they fared.  Haven't been by the marina in awhile.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

I live on NPI and Paul's (both in Port A and on the Bluff) are where pretty much all the locals I know go...

I don't know if the Polly Anna is still there in the Port A marina, but it was great for fresh shrimp.  They would go out overnight and have FRESH shrimp the next morning and it was priced GREAT!  But, IIRC they were in the marina during Harvey so not sure how they fared.  Haven't been by the marina in awhile.

i will check them out! thanks!

here is what i pulled from the thread, but not sure what is still open/what has changed as some of the recs were during or pre-COVID - any changes or updates rec wise?

• Lelos - Burgers, tiki bar? hummus app,
  • La Playa  - opens at 5, crab stuff portobello mushroom, beef fajitas, fish tacos,  tres maliscos enchiladas
  • La Palma - mexican
  • Rock and Roll Sushi? Island Time
  • Kody's - meals to go? tuna taco is good
  • Giggity's - Smoked Amberjack dip
  • Harbor Lights (next to Back Porch/Woodys) - blackened fish nachos
  • Angry Marlin
  • Padre Pizzeria, Brooklyn Pie
  • virginia's shrimp bowl
  • Irie's - Fried Flounder Basket, texas teriyaki
  • Shorty's
  • Tortugas - v good meal.  lobster cake (awesome), the chargrilled oysters (solid), and the crab dip (awesome). The seabass with lobster on top on a bed of risotto was great (the risotto was the weakest part of the dish) and I also had the boudin balls (they were so-so). Kids loved their popcorn shrimp and fried fish dishes. Painkiller and Mermaid Water were on point

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

here is what i pulled from the thread, but not sure what is still open/what has changed as some of the recs were during or pre-COVID - any changes or updates rec wise?

• La Playa  - opens at 5, crab stuff portobello mushroom, beef fajitas, fish tacos,  tres maliscos enchiladas
  • La Palma - mexican
  • Angry Marlin
  • virginia's shrimp bowl
  • Shorty's
  • Tortugas - v good meal.  lobster cake (awesome), the chargrilled oysters (solid), and the crab dip (awesome). The seabass with lobster on top on a bed of risotto was great (the risotto was the weakest part of the dish) and I also had the boudin balls (they were so-so). Kids loved their popcorn shrimp and fried fish dishes. Painkiller and Mermaid Water were on point

I will note that a number of those places are on NPI, not Port A...just a clarification.

And hurry on Shorty's...it's closing/moving in the fall.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

• La Palma - mexican
  • Angry Marlin
  • virginia's shrimp bowl
  • Shorty's

I like a bunch of other places in Port A but for sure you are missing Venetian Hot Plate for a nice meal and Fins for casual. Never thought I’d be saying that but their food quality is way better than it used to be. It’s still a little touristy and pricy for what it is - think Virginia’s or Trout Street or Moby Dick’s. All of those places have similar price points. But the food at Fins is better and it’s replaced Kody’s in our rotation. 

giggity’s and harbor lights are closed for good. And yes Shorty’s is moving November 1st so I don’t know how long they will take to get up and running. Shouldn’t take too long since they are moving the building to its new spot at the corner of Allister and Beach Street.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I like a bunch of other places in Port A but for sure you are missing Venetian Hot Plate for a nice meal and Fins for casual. Never thought I’d be saying that but their food quality is way better than it used to be. It’s still a little touristy and pricy for what it is - think Virginia’s or Trout Street or Moby Dick’s. All of those places have similar price points. But the food at Fins is better and it’s replaced Kody’s in our rotation. 

giggity’s and harbor lights are closed for good. And yes Shorty’s is moving November 1st so I don’t know how long they will take to get up and running. Shouldn’t take too long since they are moving the building to its new spot at the corner of Allister and Beach Street.

3 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

I will note that a number of those places are on NPI, not Port A...just a clarification.

And hurry on Shorty's...it's closing/moving in the fall.

any other places worth adding to the list that are open and are in Port A? haha i need to check locations for NPI vs PA then! thank you!

35 minutes ago, justhookit said:

What was the name of that restaurant that used to be there?  I assume it got destroyed in Harvey, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, NoName said:

any other places worth adding to the list that are open and are in Port A? haha i need to check locations for NPI vs PA then! thank you!

Bluewater Cowboy has good sushi and a pretty good regular menu. And another good burger spot is Bernie’s bar and you can enjoy dollar drafts or 2 dollar wells while you wait. Lisabella’s at Cinnamon Shore is pricy but good food. There’s also a pizza/Italian place out there that is really good. Can’t think of the name right now. You’ve got a pretty good list.

La Palma, rock n roll sushi, angry marlin, and padre pizzeria are the ones on your list that are not in port a.

Edit- Coaches for breakfast or cheesesteak but it is tiny and can have a really long wait. Pretty much everywhere will have a long wait if you are here while it’s busy. Places like Venetian and Lisabella’s you won’t be able to get in without a reservation.

36 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

What was the name of that restaurant that used to be there?  I assume it got destroyed in Harvey, right?

Yeah Castaways was there and moved across the street to where Phoenix was. Phoenix is now out at Island Moorings.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

I will second the goodness of Dylan’s Coal Oven Pizzeria at Cinnamon Shores. Hand tossed dough and a coal oven.  Really good pizza and our go-to for pizza since Port-A Brewing Co closed/changed names.  

Thank you for the help. It’s really good and for a place that is “out of town”  everyone mentions it. I think it’s 5 miles out from the ferry landing. Really good pasta, too.

edit- port a brewing closed. It’s tortugas now which is the same people that own Fins and Daddymacs. Really like Fins these days and Daddy’s gets me through a fix when I’m dying for barbecue but it’s not centex worthy. Most everything we’ve had at Tortugas has been very good too. They also own the pirate ship, and Deep Sea Headqurters for offshore fishing or dolphin watch tours.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Good to have a Port A local endorsement. It’s the best pizza in the NPI/Port A area if not the entire Corpus and Rockport area. 

That’s not exactly saying a whole lot. But it’s really really good. Also it’s a cool little place with a good atmosphere and cold drinks.

La Playa is the spot we always hit up. We get there before 5 and write our name on the clipboard. also our go to for cook-your-catch.

Cancun Grill is our go to for breakfast tacos and pancakes.

I like Irie's for lunch. Not sure if service has sped up with the new location, but we always order ahead.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, justhookit said:

That’s not exactly saying a whole lot. But it’s really really good. Also it’s a cool little place with a good atmosphere and cold drinks.

The new NY Pizza on NPI is pretty solid.  It's pricey though (I did get the 18" though).  I got the Brooklyn Bomber and that thing was HEAVY with ingredients.  And GOOD.

On 5/3/2022 at 12:18 PM, justhookit said:

thank you very much. hit up Fins last night and had a really solid meal. perfectly cooked grilled fish and shrimp.

got a rec to go to deserted island which hit the spot.

coach's for breakfast (togo) was a great choice.

la playa for dinner either tonight or tomorrow, last night had a crazy line but we are going to use the "put your name on the clipboard early" thing someone mentioned

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 10:09 AM, NoName said:

thank you very much. hit up Fins last night and had a really solid meal. perfectly cooked grilled fish and shrimp.

got a rec to go to deserted island which hit the spot.

coach's for breakfast (togo) was a great choice.

la playa for dinner either tonight or tomorrow, last night had a crazy line but we are going to use the "put your name on the clipboard early" thing someone mentioned

rest of the places we went:

• La Playa was fantastic, THANK YOU for the rec
  • shrimp from Pauls
  • breakfast tacos from Cancun
  • coffee waves
  • Coach's was badass and i hoped to go back but it didn't work. guess they are moving too whenever Shorty's moves?
  • Hook 'Em 1